Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

The cavalry rode to the rescue, marmian, aungier duggan, Dowling, and Masterson along with Boyle to 8 and Daly switching to 12 dug us out of a potential hole.

Blade had a poor night for me, like what I see from Murray but we missed rouxs bulk until Dowling arrived.

Win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Dragons were muck but 5 points on the road is a very good outcome. We’ve lost more than our share of those type of matches over the years.
    Our maul defence is a serious issue and must be addressed urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭typhoony

Marmion for me was the difference in the 2nd half, controlling the game at his pace, making spot-on decisions, the most underrated player in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Maul will be fix it's so visible and not that uneasy (moving forces earlier when it changes direction etc). Training, months after months

I'm way more worried on the tackling and ruck issues on the long term. Again under the normal 90% tackling rate, again more than 5 pens for not realising. It's harder to fix, it's about team organisation, about support of each other in defence and attack. It's also a mental thing, this extra-second at the breakdown, this fully completed tackle not pushing the inside guy to rescue etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Any word on Robb. Had a decent start before he was forced off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Looking at a combined table tells the story of our season. More tries scored than everyone except Leinster and Ulster, but only Zebre have conceded more tries. Defence is a huge issue, if we could tighten that up we would be well clear of the chasing pack.

connachta wrote: »
    Maul will be fix it's so visible and not that uneasy (moving forces earlier when it changes direction etc). Training, months after months

I'm way more worried on the tackling and ruck issues on the long term. Again under the normal 90% tackling rate, again more than 5 pens for not realising. It's harder to fix, it's about team organisation, about support of each other in defence and attack. It's also a mental thing, this extra-second at the breakdown, this fully completed tackle not pushing the inside guy to rescue etc.

BTW tackling issue is not in tight areas. Our front-6 made 71 tackles, missed 3 only.

It's wide (including openside flanker) that we're often oversped.

bayern wrote: »
    Johnston heading to England.

If it doesn't happen with Bill could well happen with Johnny

Above all if Burns older brother comes for Leicester

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rugby-rumours-and-transfer-news-4922483

Very nice IQ option. McPhillips on the bench in an hour if you'd like to have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 14 craggyrugby

freyners wrote: »
    Any word on Robb. Had a decent start before he was forced off

He left the field with an abdominal injury unfortunately, we won't find out how bad it is until Tuesday week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

He left the field with an abdominal injury unfortunately, we won't find out how bad it is until Tuesday week.

Yikes. Hopes he's alright.

• Advertisement

Tied down (10)

Aki, Farrell, Robb, Marmion, Blade, TOH, O'Brien, McCoy, Butler, Healy

To renew absolutely (20)

Jack Carty, Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Shane Delahunt, Finlay Bealham, Quinn Roux, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Paul Boyle, Conor Oliver, Eoghan and Sean Masterson, Conor Fitzgerald, Colm Reilly, Jordan Duggan, Jack Aungier, Peter Sullivan, Niall Murray, Sam Arnold, and John Porch

Toss-up (10)

Abraham Papali’i, Ben O'Donnell, Stephen Fitzgerald (where the hell is he?) or Alex Wootton, Connor Kenny, Oisin Dowling, Conor Dean, Stephen Kerrins, Paddy McAllister, Johny Murphy

Doubts (5)

Matthew Burke, Cillian Gallagher, Colm De Buitlear, O'Brien 2.0 (opportinuties to shine in the next weeks because of injuries)

8 among the 35 should be tied down already, as Friends said "only" 27 are out of contract
    Hope some of them are in the "to renew" category

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Tied down (10)

Aki, Farrell, Robb, Marmion, Blade, TOH, O'Brien, McCoy, Butler, Healy

To renew absolutely (20)

Jack Carty, Denis Buckley, Dave Heffernan, Shane Delahunt, Finlay Bealham, Quinn Roux, Ultan Dillane, Gavin Thornbury, Paul Boyle, Conor Oliver, Eoghan and Sean Masterson, Conor Fitzgerald, Colm Reilly, Jordan Duggan, Jack Aungier, Peter Sullivan, Niall Murray, Sam Arnold, and John Porch

Toss-up (10)

Abraham Papali’i, Ben O'Donnell, Stephen Fitzgerald (where the hell is he?) or Alex Wootton, Connor Kenny, Oisin Dowling, Conor Dean, Stephen Kerrins, Paddy McAllister, Johny Murphy

Doubts (5)

Matthew Burke, Cillian Gallagher, Colm De Buitlear, O'Brien 2.0 (opportinuties to shine in the next weeks because of injuries)

8 among the 35 should be tied down already, as Friends said "only" 27 are out of contract
    Hope some of them are in the "to renew" category

S Fitz is recovering from an ACL, wootton absolutely should be signed up.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    S Fitz is recovering from an ACL, wootton absolutely should be signed up.

Wooton, McAlister and Dowling after his fine debut would be on my wish list.

Wootton scores tries and costs a lot too. He hasn't made a single good tackle I've seen.
    I'm isolated but maintain he's a toss-up and has to improve in this area as Healy did.

ACL in February last year, it's very long for S.Fitz, it might cost his place if O'Donnell takes the nod before April...

McAlister is available AFAIC and Duggan has been picked on Friday.
    If he's on high-money and only 3rd choice, he's threatened IMO

Macalister is just back from injury!! First choice for lots of the season for me, not a lot between our 3 looseheads but isn't that what we want.

You have to remember it seems season will be cut to 18 games, so IRFU will cut the cost and squads to find money back

(15 pro16 games + 3 return interpros)

40-man squad to expect, 18 on board + 20 re-signed and probably 2 newcomers, there's not much room for toss-up guys who're not under contract further than 2021....

Under my numbers 2 or Abraham Papali’i, Ben O'Donnell, Stephen Fitzgerald, Alex Wootton, Connor Kenny, Oisin Dowling, Conor Dean, Stephen Kerrins, Paddy McAllister, Jonny Murphy
    will be released

(I'd say Kerrins and a winger)

+
    Matthew Burke, Cillian Gallagher, Colm De Buitlear, O'Brien 2.0

And the 2 signings will be a LH (age profile) and a lock (weight profile).

We'll have to rely on the Academy for centre (Jennings) and wing (Kilgallen) + 4th choice SH

Or maybe we'll trust on our the 3 academy hooker for Jonnny Murphy and keep one of SOB 2.0/S.Fitz/Kerrins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'd assume O'Donnell was on a two year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Under my numbers 2 or Abraham Papali’i, Ben O'Donnell, Stephen Fitzgerald, Alex Wootton, Connor Kenny, Oisin Dowling, Conor Dean, Stephen Kerrins, Paddy McAllister, Jonny Murphy
    will be released

+

We'll have to rely on the Academy for centre (Jennings) and wing (Kilgallen) + 4th choice SH

Or maybe we'll trust on our the 3 academy hooker for Jonnny Murphy and keep one of SOB 2.0/S.Fitz/Kerrins

Age profile of our looseheads??? Buckley is 30 and Duggan is 23?
    I'd assume O'Donnell was on a two year deal

Even Connacht couldn't be mental enough to sign somebody with a fresh ACL injury on a 1 year deal

• Advertisement

will be released

+

Can’t see a lock signing and think Buckley, Duggan and McAllister is a fine loose head stock in that order for next year. If there’s any signings, I’d be looking at a back row and 10

For me, If we're limited to 40-man senior squad, it's

Position |1st | 2nd |3rd |4th
    LH Prop |Buckley |Duggan| McAllister| Ward
    Hooker |Heffernan |Delahunt| Adamson | Tierney-Martin/E.deBuitlear
    TH Prop |Bealham |Aungier |McCoy |Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row |Dillane |Roux |New Signing |Dowling
    n°5 2nd Row |Thornbury| Murray| Prendergast | Murray 2.0
    Blindside Flanker |SOB |E.Masterson | D.Byrne
    Openside Flanker |Butler |Oliver |S.Masterson | Dunne
    n°8 | Boyle | Papali'i |Booth | McCormark
    SH | Marmion | Blade |Reilly | Academy newcomer
    OH |Carty |Fitzgerald |Dean |C.Forde
    11| O'Donnell |Healy| Kilgallen
    Inside Centre |Aki |Daly |Robb|
    Outside Centre |Farrell |Arnold |SOB 2.0 |Jennings
    14 |Sullivan|Wootton | S.Fitz
    15 |Porsh |TOH|McNulty |

If not add a winger in it, probably

Bazzo wrote: »
    Age profile of our looseheads??? Buckley is 30 and Duggan is 23?

Buckley AND McAllister are both over 30 and will go at same time

Burke does not seem to make it, it's maybe now we should sign a rather young good profile on low money to develop as a starter with Duggan in 2022/23 or 23/24

But let's give Ward a chance maybe, next season as 4th choice

Buckley, Duggan, McAllister
    Heff, Delahunt, Murphy/DTM
    Bealham, Aungier, McCoy, Kenny

Thornbury, Dillane, Murray
    Roux, Dowling, (D. Murray)

Sob, masterson, prendergast
    Butler, Oliver, (McCormack/ Booth)
    Boyle, papalii/new signing, s. Masterson

Marmion, Blade, Reilly, Kerins
    Carty, new, Fitz dean/Forde

Bundee, Daly
    Farrell, Arnold, Jennings

Wootton, Healy
    Porch, Toh, mcnulty
    Sullivan, s. Fitz, kilgallen

Think Healy and Robb could be under pressure. Even someone like Toh, of he got a decent offer from somewhere else

Buckley, Duggan, McAllister
    Heff, Delahunt, Murphy/DTM
    Bealham, Aungier, McCoy, Kenny

Thornbury, Dillane, Murray
    Roux, Dowling, (D. Murray)

Sob, masterson, prendergast
    Butler, Oliver, (McCormack/ Booth)
    Boyle, papalii/new signing, s. Masterson

Marmion, Blade, Reilly, Kerins
    Carty, new, Fitz dean/Forde

Bundee, Daly
    Farrell, Arnold, Jennings

Wootton, Healy
    Porch, Toh, mcnulty
    Sullivan, s. Fitz, kilgallen

Think Healy and Robb could be under pressure. Even someone like Toh, of he got a decent offer from somewhere else

I don't think we need a back-row or 10 rather than lock/LH/winger,
    but otherwise we agree

I don't think Robb and Healy, TOH, nor McAlister have played enough at all to have offers.

Mastersons are the only one I'd see pressuried, because they're versatile and Scottish qualified.
    Buckley too, maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buckley AND McAllister are both over 30 and will go at same time

Burke does not seem to make it, it's maybe now we should sign a rather young good profile on low money to develop as a starter with Duggan in 2022/23 or 23/24

But let's give Ward a chance maybe, next season as 4th choice

I suppose you're right, but only in that McAllister is plenty young enough too. Prop is a position that can generally play on to mid 30s with no issue. It's not something we need to worry about until maybe the next contract cycle.

We could probably do a lot worse than luring Conan O'Donnell home.

I don't think we need a back-row or 10 rather than lock/LH/winger,
    but otherwise we agree

Fitzgerald hasn’t really pushed on since his impressive start. Dean hasn’t made any impact either, I know he’s been injured but it’s pro sport. Solid back up to Carty is needed, look at madigan in ulster

Bazzo wrote: »
    I suppose you're right, but only in that McAllister is plenty young enough too. Prop is a position that can generally play on to mid 30s with no issue. It's not something we need to worry about until maybe the next contract cycle.

We could probably do a lot worse than luring Conan O'Donnell home.

I'd love Conan, but he's maybe more at ease in the mobile small LH stereotype in New-Zealand... Let's see, Oli Jager there too

Fitzgerald hasn’t really pushed on since his impressive start. Dean hasn’t made any impact either, I know he’s been injured but it’s pro sport. Solid back up to Carty is needed, look at madigan in ulster

C.Fitz, even vs Ospreys, wasn't bad IMO...
    Dean is the best we can have on this 3rd choice money, McPhillips maybe from Leicester...

And plenty in the Academy for back-row, no signings except if Masterson 1 or 2 joins Scotland

• Advertisement

C.Fitz, even vs Ospreys, wasn't bad IMO...
    Dean is the best we can have on this 3rd choice money, McPhillips maybe from Leicester...

And plenty in the Academy for back-row, no signings except if Masterson 1 or 2 joins Scotland

I think Fitz could be that third choice level. Agree on no back rows of papalii proves he’s good enough, but still have the jury out there.

either way I don’t see many signings happening at all

Advertisement