Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Very poor on his behalf shows how much prep he did on Connacht. Then going on to show his knowledge by telling us he isn't IQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Loooong season ahead

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

No excuses for what Aki did, he’s gonna get a long ban and deserves it.

From a Connacht pov would never bring him off bench again, start him or don’t play him, that’s a few times he’s been over aggro off bench, think he gets too frustrated watching. Same applies for Ireland but don’t think he would be sub for them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Was thinking the same myself and remembered He was on the bench against NZ, on that occasion he came on in the first half so probably wasn’t as frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Some cameo from Bundee. Came on and gave away 3 pens and then a red card. Connacht’s discipline has been absolutely shocking over the first two games. Very long season ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Has any referee's decision about a red card ever been influenced by the recipient or their captain arguing back? Bundee's teammates will be about him for additional matches because of this, and his appearances for us were scant enough in recent seasons already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think that’s Bundee pretty much done for Connacht for the season. Likely to get a lengthy ban, then six nations and then RWC build up. That’s assuming he has enough good grace with the Irish selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Prendergast was obviously hurt and limping around for the last ten minutes, should have been subbed off. Hope it's not serious. In other good news, Hawkshaw misses touch with two penalties and then throws a wildly forward pass. FFS.

The only positive to report is that apparently Conor Oliver's absence was because he was sick and Thornbury's knee injury isn't serious. And we start with 15 against the Bulls ;)

If anything has been agreed with Wilkins it needs to be ripped up. He has been a central part of a coaching set up that has overseen a side making the same errors for years. Get through season as best possible and clear out coaching room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Bundee is going to get at least 6-10 week ban for that tackle. The mouthing off was unforgivable, what kind of a vibe does that create within the team. He is a senior player has a duty to be a role model full stop. Looking at the schedule before Christmas and I don't see many wins. Maybe when Jack comes back things might gel. The top AIL teams are better coached than connacht at the moment. I am really bemused how bad they are at the moment.

I'd say his team mates absolutely love him and his recognition within the Ireland setup is undisputed.

He's a competitive, tough player. He has a Roy Keane element to his temperament and those kinds of personalities are often big drivers of attitude within a setup.

Bad day at the office, shouldn't disrespect officials but I doubt there is a Connacht player that doesn't want to see his name on the teamsheet.

Not sure the point needs to be made any further but Wilkins would always have the weakest CV of any Connacht coach appointed in a long time.

Pat Lam & Friend had head coaching experience in super rugby, Kieran Keane was a disaster but he was so highly thought of at the time that Warren Gatland wanted him as attack coach for the Lions but he had agreed to Connacht move already.

To go from those sort of candidates to appointing a guy like Wilkins would represent serious regression, already seems like Connacht are on a path back to being basement dwellers, his appointment would only further underline that impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

You could also make a point that Edinburgh's improvement came as soon as he left in 2017 and Cockerill got proper defense coaches in with him. He had a horrible reputation from Embra. I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's stealing a living.

Was just thinking earlier in the years since he joined as a defence coach I believe, our defense has been shocking so I can't understand how he seems to keep being promoted.....

Maybe he's doing it for free?

As you said I have nothing personal against the man I'm sure he's a nice fella but unless there is a massive improvement over the rest of the season (which I can't see) it's hard to see what he is offering

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

I agree about Bundee as being a great player and I love watching him play but he is a senior player and has to act like one. I don't have an issue with the tackle, it was red all day but it was the mouthing off to the ref which made me feel disappointed. Don't know enough about Wilkins to have an option. I remember Joe schimt lost his first few games at leinster, so let's wait and see if there is any improement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It doesn't matter who lines out for Connacht, if the coaching is ail standard!

Joe Schmidt might have had a bad start with Leinster but I'm not sure its a great comparison when Wilkins has been here for 4/5 seasons now and we see the standard being delivered

im sure Muldoon and Carolan would answer a call. How Connacht could let Carolan go and let Promote Wilkins is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Disappointed for Connacht today. I thought you were in with a good shout of winning away from home up until Aki’s sending off. Really getting annoyed with the laws presently around red cards. It can ruin a good contest but sportsmanship is the centrepiece of the game and keeping it that way is paramount.

What an incredible stadium and place to play. I travelled to Stellenbosch in my twenties and was awestruck at the beauty of the place and of the people. I liked the style the conditions created. I saw Connacht being forced into running the ball a bit and sending it wide which they did brilliantly at times. Not sure if that was the fine weather and good pitch or the opposition.

The Stormers have some luminous players in their team and they like to throw it around. Their try with the quick fire seven offloads is where I can see them getting to if allowed to play a bit of rugby in the northern hemisphere winter nights. They have a lot of potential for improvement and hope they can mount a challenge.

The two standouts up front for me were Prendergast and Murphy. Surely Prendergast should be higher up in the Irish equation than he currently is. I can see him having ten good years at the top of Irish rugby if he keeps trucking as he is. Murphy is just a nuisance, not physically huge but brings an intensity which disrupts so much ball. Also honourable mention for Dooley. Hopefully he nails down starting position in future.

For me Hansen and Porch and Farrell were good in the backs. They bring a bit of magic and Farrell had some try saving interventions. If you can cut out errors and spread it wide you will be competing well for mid table this season. More of the same

• Advertisement

Thank you for the semi positive outlook the game, but the main issue with Connacht is, they haven’t fixed those basic errors in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Had to leave at half time for my own game. Seems I dodged a bullet, what did I miss? Thought we were pretty rubbish in the first half, but was encouraged we were only a score behind. DTM in particular was looking good, outplaying Heffernan over the past 6 months imo.

We are not a good team right now and I'm not sure if we can pull it together in time to make a run at the playoffs.

The attack was good under Wilkins to be fair, definitely our strength last season.

Perhaps some of that stupid hair dye leached into his brain? Might explain the bout of insanity.

Commiserations to Connacht, it must be soul destroying for the rest of the team who are giving their all to have to endure that sort of brainlessness.

True there were errors but there was also positive risks taken. You were in with a shout of the game up until the 60 minute against the league winners at home so you can’t be that far off. I see a lot to be positive about with the players you have.

Playoffs?! Maybe I'm a pessimist but I genuinely think we won't get more than 5 wins.

Playoffs should have been our aim at the start of the season with no Champions Cup, or top 8 at a minimum. I'm not feeling as negative as you, yet, but we could be in for a bad time if the Welsh teams are semi competent this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭flatty

I thought we played well and certainly hard. Aki was the turning point. He looked bulked up and angry from the start.

Only worry is the SA teams actually started pretty slowly last year. The Welsh still don't look up to much.

Question, will the plastic pitch be an advantage if we play on it week in week out?

Post edited by flatty on

Blade ruled out of the emerging Ireland tour and Cathal Forde called up in place of Frawley whos also injured

• Advertisement

You can add to that list Alex Kendellen and Alex Soroka. And…I wouldn’t be surprised if Prendergast was flown home. He is probably staying out there because he’s there already but he looked injured on Saturday limping around on one leg for the last fifteen minutes.

Advertisement