Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Everything in perspective. Poor teams available. But if you cannot see that:eek: Connacht are unable to maul since Mr Friend arrived, never mind Connacht being able to defend. It is such rubbish. They would ever be able to beat an ordinary team with this muck

And at least Fainga made Butler look useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Everything in perspective. Poor teams available. But if you cannot see that:eek: Connacht are unable to maul since Mr Friend arrived, never mind Connacht being able to defend. It is such rubbish. They would ever be able to beat an ordinary team with this muck

I'm sorry but you haven't a clue. Your posts are irritating, petulant, devoid of any insight or understanding of the game, and greatly lower the quality of this thread. Ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

And at least Fainga made Butler look useful

All your posts seem to be really angry, it's just a discussion forum, mind yourselfðŸ‘

I'm sorry but you haven't a clue. Your posts are irritating, petulant, devoid of any insight or understanding of the game, and greatly lower the quality of this thread. Ignored.

I will desist. I may not not agree but I will desist in future.

• Advertisement

Easy to know you're not a Connacht fan! We have definitely been frustrating this season, and I do have concerns around our discipline, decision making, and focus. But taking a step back, we really aren't that bad. I grew up watching us lose at home to teams that don't even exist anymore. We're not even that far removed from Pat's last season and the Kieran Keane reign, which were far worse than this season.

One last comment realhorrorowshow. This is not Connacht. Yes we are second.. But we no longer are a rugby team. We are a total mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

One last comment realhorrorowshow. This is not Connacht. Yes we are second.. But we no longer are a rugby team. We are a total mess

I think you're the total mess chief. You haven't a clue! Cheer up.

macslash wrote: »
    I think you're the total mess chief. You haven't a clue! Cheer up.

Thanks. I believed pat lam at least had some concept. This is horrible stuff and only going in the wrong direction. But if folks wish not to see this let's wait a couple of years. I just can't believe folks cannot see what is so blatant

• Subscribers Posts: 41,714 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.... I just can't believe folks cannot see what is so blatant

Seems to be the running theme to your posts.

If everyone else can't see things the way you do... Then just maybe it's not everyone else that has the problem??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Andy Friend is not a rugby union coach

He spent 18 months as a 7s coach. He has spent 20 years as a 15's coach.

He has been head coach of big teams like Harlequins, Brumbies, and Suntory in rugby union. Assistant coach of the Wallabies for years also, and head coach of the under-21 Aussie team also.
    I have never witnessed Connacht being in such a bad place.

Literally 3 seasons ago we finished 11th out of 14. In the past 15 seasons, we have finished: 11th, 10th x 7 times, 9th, 8th x 3 times, and 7th.

Since Friend came in we have finished 5th, 6th, and are currently 4th. This season and last, both under Friend, are literally our best seasons excluding when we were Champions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

He spent 18 months as a 7s coach. He has spent 20 years as a 15's coach.

He has been head coach of big teams like Harlequins, Brumbies, and Suntory in rugby union. Assistant coach of the Wallabies for years also, and head coach of the under-21 Aussie team also.

Literally 3 seasons ago we finished 11th out of 14. In the past 15 seasons, we have finished: 11th, 10th x 7 times, 9th, 8th x 3 times, and 7th.

Since Friend came in we have finished 5th, 6th, and are currently 4th. This season and last, both under Friend, are literally our best seasons excluding when we were Champions.

Agreed I don't think there is an ouncer sense to these posts, it's flouncer-ing about with a very billysaysno attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Reading on the Leinster thread that Hawkshaw has turned down an approach from Connacht. Any ideas what this might mean for our existing squad? I'd be of the opinion that he's wanted as a 10

Reading on the Leinster thread that Hawkshaw has turned down an approach from Connacht. Any ideas what this might mean for our existing squad? I'd be of the opinion that he's wanted as a 10

I'll never agree with someone who is 5th choice in their position not moving.

Leinster have had a number of players who decided not to move, lost the opportunity to prosper, and then ended up moving to England or something when they hit 25.

I do understand why they don't go. One of the Leinster lads, I can't recall whom, mentioned it in their biography that for some it is the best thing for their career, but they struggle to take the plunge because in Leinster they are, more often than not, training with superstars, part of the winning culture and celebrations of big wins and titles, living around all your mates or your partners, at one of Europe's most prestigious clubs, near your family, etc.

I'd guess this means that Fitzgerald/Dean/both are not particularly rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I'd guess this means that Fitzgerald/Dean/both are not particularly rated.

Along with Daly covering 10 from the 12 position a number of times when both were fit too.
    It would have been a great move. He realistically could be second choice playing in most games. Now he will have to wait for the scraps of games but as mentioned above maybe he is happy to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

21 year old wants to play for the team he grew up supporting, what a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

bayern wrote: »

Not knocking him for it at all.

It's not a shock at all. The reasons outlined are pretty clear. And no one implied otherwise.
    . . . in Leinster they are, more often than not, training with superstars, part of the winning culture and celebrations of big wins and titles, living around all your mates or your partners, at one of Europe's most prestigious clubs, near your family, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Along with Daly covering 10 from the 12 position a number of times when both were fit too.
    It would have been a great move. He realistically could be second choice playing in most games. Now he will have to wait for the scraps of games but as mentioned above maybe he is happy to do that.

I can see why he chose to stay at Leinster. Having captained age grade teams and Ireland u20s and being rated as arguably the best player in his age group all the way through out school I can see why he has high ambitions to push on with Leinster. It’s his first season injury free at the club having been injured for over 18 months I’m sure he wants more time to prove himself as a potential starter at Leinster. Nothing wrong with having ambition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

In fairness even somebody like Cian Kelleher, who I liked a lot, is finding plenty of gametime there since he moved home even though he is reasonably down the pecking order.

Hawkshaw is very highly rated by all accounts and the injury crisis that Leinster had this season over Christmas would probably be further motivation to stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wonder who the alternative ten options are now for Connacht to target?

In fairness even somebody like Cian Kelleher, who I liked a lot, is finding plenty of gametime there since he moved home even though he is reasonably down the pecking order.

Hawkshaw is very highly rated by all accounts and the injury crisis that Leinster had this season over Christmas would probably be further motivation to stick around.

Kelleher has 10 starts, all in the league, since he moved back to Leinster in 2019.

Bit of a shame he didn't stay, he had 16 starts in his only season under Andy Friend and likely would have continued to do well under him. It's worked out alright for us of course as first John Porch and then Alex Wootton have come in an done well.

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Wonder who the alternative ten options are now for Connacht to target?

I heard Danny Cipriani is signing. Has turned down offers from Clermont, Bath and Lyon as he said "its not all about the money".

marley45 wrote: »
    I heard Danny Cipriani is signing. Has turned down offers from Clermont, Bath and Lyon as he said "its not all about the money".

Imagine dealing with Marmion and Carty for 60 odd minutes and then seeing blade and cipriani coming off the bench. Would be very entertaining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

In fairness CK is nowhere near the team come European rugby, if he stayed at Connacht he was always in the shakeup for the the match day squad for our big games. Here he would have got the chance to showcase his ability, At Leinster he holds tackle bags for the big games.

Wonder if Connacht will attempt to get Crowley. I know he turned down a move to France but moving up the road to Connacht would be slightly different. Only an hour or so from home, still in the Irish set up, hasn’t really gotten any opportunities with Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Who are you arguing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Ireland dumped out of RWC 2023 because 2nd/3rd choice player for club and country doesn't have enough experience, what a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭theVersatile

A team

Connacht RugbyCONNACHT RUGBY
    Connacht Eagles team named for Munster ‘A’ friendly at The Sportsground
    23 mins ago
    EAGLES

The Connacht Eagles side has been named for tomorrow’s interpro friendly at The Sportsground against Munster ‘A’.

The side features a mixture of Pro and Academy players who will be eager to pick up some game-time heading into an important part of the campaign.

Match updates will be posted on the Connacht Rugby Twitter page with match highlights to follow on our social channels.

CONNACHT EAGLES v MUNSTER ‘A’
    Friday 12th February, 13:00, The Sportsground

15. Conor Dean
    14. Diarmuid Kilgallen
    13. Shane Jennings
    12. Cathal Forde
    11. Oran McNulty
    10. Conor Fitzgerald
    9. Colm Reilly

1. Paddy McAllister
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    4. Cian Prendergast
    5. Darragh Murray
    6. Sean O’Brien
    7. Ciaran Booth
    8. Sean Masterson

Replacements from: Eoin de Buitlear, Charlie Ward, Conor Kenny, Hubert Costello, Oisin McCormack, Matthew Devine, Donnacha Byrne, Tiernan O’Halloran, Declan Adamson, Joshua Dunne, Diarmuid McCormack

Advertisement