Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Final Score Connacht 38-Benetton Treviso 19.

Good win with a bonus point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Boyle was insanely good and obviously MOTM. Could comment on others but I would be considered a scratched record😊

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yes, Boyle was brilliant, best I've seen him in years. Liked the interplay with Bundee as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Prendergast also very good, though Boyle was out on his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Boyle deserved winner for motm. Bundee & Hansen also very good.

Front row huge game, that's as dominant a scrum as we've seen in a while and without leva or gav in the engine room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Good win for Connacht. Murray keeps putting in excellent performances.

Every time i watch an italian team some young player really impresses. Really liked the Italian 13.

Biggest moment in Connacht rugby was when McGinty had to leave because of Boshoff. And then we were left with ......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I thought you wrote above you don't want to come across as a broken record?! TBH other than missing touch for that penalty (which is sickening alright), was he that bad today?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Carty was OK but that's 2 weeks in a row where he put the ball dead, I used to be a huge fan of Carty and would defend his poor games. But to be honest I have lost belief in him as a 10. He can be class but when he is poor he is like a front row playing 10. We have to look at a new starting 20 next season

• Advertisement

Way harsh. It was a sloppy error in an otherwise excellent performance from him yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

A decent win, not exactly humming along but 5 points nonetheless.

I don't think we can be as experimental as we would like in Europe considering our mixed form, we need to build our confidence. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Was anyone at the buccs game? Match report has josh oconnor scoring 4 tries.. surely worth a look at in one of the European games. A big powerful winger, not something we have a ton of

Folks seem to think I have a bee in my bonnet. So let's do the obvious. Finlay is probably the best loose head in Ireland, DTM is probably the best hooker in Ireland. Denis used to be a turnover merchant but I can't remember the last time he managed a turnover. Second row looks good with the Murray brothers and Thornbury and other options are strong. Oliver, Prendergast look great in the back row but Butler is struggling. Marmion can drag down a man twice his size while Blade is so slow. Here I choose not to mention out halves as both are ordinary (Tom Daly maybe). Lots of options with centres but Bundees effort for the second Benetton try sums up a malaise in moving from international to provincial rugby. POM shows the same malaise. And Kilgallen , Porch and Hansen did what was expected of them.

And this is why I focus on the same person who continues to play ordinary rugby. And in his case, he happens to play the most important position

So you have everyone who is excellent other than the person who is required to provide the full functioning of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Scoring 4 might put him on the radar for the next while. Friend has no issue giving younger lads a run so he could likely feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wouldn’t mind seeing Jennings get a run out at 15 over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

He has played a lot at 15 for Buccs this season, having previously seemed to be seen as a 13/wing only for the Eagles and Ireland u20s. Wonder if he's playing more 15 at Connacht's request, he was quite handy there in school if I recall correctly.

Think there’s a bit of a need for some one to step up at 15 (actually at 13 too tbh) so could see them pushing it yeah

I thought Tom Farrell has looked sharper again the last two games, unfortunately his injury profile remains a worry. At 15 we should try Mack (if it's true that Porch will leave next year), we have plenty of options on the wings. But the broader situation in the backline isn't great right now: who are the automatic starters? Marmion/Blade, ok, Aki (but maybe at 13 depending on other choices?) and after that it's a mess. I don't beliecve we're going to qualify for the play offs and am convinced that we should be concentrating on player development this season. There should be some rational approach to resolving the selection dilemmas, and less chopping and changing which we've seen a lot of so far.

Would like to see hawkshaw and forde given a run at 12 and bundee / Farrell out side them over the next two weeks.

Would like to see Byrne, Killgallen, Jennings and mcnulty get game time in the back 3 too.

Game time at 9 for Devine as well please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Interesting when TOH came on on Sat he stayed on the right wing for Kilgallen. Porch remained at full back.

Also regarding Porch next year, it's all just rumour on here. By all accounts he likes it here so hopefully he stays.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Has Byrne actually played for Connacht yet?

Yes, he was brought on for 44 mins against Ospreys just before the Autumn series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Is the game being televised anywhere?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/rugby-union/9865567/connacht-newcastle-tv-channel-time-stream-team-news

When is it on and what time is kick-off?

The game will take place on Saturday, December 10 at The Sportsground in Galway with kick-off scheduled for 5.30 pm.

Where can I watch it?

The match will be shown live on Viaplay Sports 1 (the new name for Premier Sports 1) from 5.25pm. It is also being streamed live on the Viaplay app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Great thanks guys working tomorrow but will be home in time for kickoff with a bit of luck!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just to say that it is still called Premier Sports in Ireland, the U.K. operation was bought out by Viaplay but the Irish channels are now running separately. Just in case anyone’s looking for a channel called Viaplay on their TV’s tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS NEWCASTLE FALCONS

Saturday 10th December, 17:30 @ The Sportsground

Number/Name/Caps

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (210)

14. Adam Byrne (1)

13. Tom Daly (66)

12. Cathal Forde (3)

11. Diarmuid Kilgallen (9)

10. David Hawkshaw (7)

9. Caolin Blade (156)

1. Peter Dooley (7)

2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (11)

3. Jack Aungier (40)

4. Josh Murphy (6)

5. Niall Murray (42)

6. Jarrad Butler (102) (C)

7. Shamus Hurley-Langton (6)

8. Paul Boyle (81)

Replacements

16. Shane Delahunt (118)

17. Denis Buckley (217)

18. Sam Illo (4)

19. Leva Fifita (18)

20. Oisín McCormack *

21. Colm Reilly (13)

22. Conor Fitzgerald (58)

23. Tom Farrell (85)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Does anybody remember if we ever had a television pool stage game in the Challenge Cup? I know we had a few quarters shown recently enough but think this might be a first for pools in the secondary.

Advertisement