Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

I have a disturbing mental image of Colm from The Banshees of Inisherin trying to play out half without the hands for it. 😂

Unless Wilkins thinks that Hawkshaw or Forde are both viable long-term projects and ready start there next September, we'll need to get a second choice out-half signed. I'm happy to see another young Irish player come in if that's what it takes.

The branch have frozen season ticket prices and added an option to spread the cost over up to six months before next season starts. Hopefully that'll make it easier for some fans to afford their renewal when their wallet is already stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

I could see Leinster parting with Tector, or even Harry Byrne, but no way Sam Prendergast. Expectations may change but for now there's a lot of excitement about him out east.

I would really hope they don't lose him, but there is probably a slightly more elevated chance of him going to Connacht because of the lack of clear second choice outhalves to Carty there (I'm counting Hawkshaw and Forde as 12s), and obviously because of his brother and how well he's getting on down there.

But Prendergast is probably the most exciting young talent in the Leinster system in years. They've already had him travelling with the senior squad ahead of some of the European games this year to get a feel for the experience, and I'd be hopeful he might travel to SA this year in April and make his debut.

FWIW - I'd still be really high on Harry Byrne too. He's a really talented 10 who has all the fundamentals you want. Injuries have knocked his development a little, and he still can fade out of some games and make some silly mistakes, but that's what you expect from a guy who's just 23. I can't see Leinster wanting to let go of any of them this year, given we'll likely have Sexton and Ross Byrne gone to the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Yeah there's a certain tier of prospect that Leinster won't lose, and I think Prendergast is on the same level as the likes of Porter, Ryan, Doris, Ringrose etc. It seems like Tector will struggle for game time eventually but I'd imagine he's happy for the moment.

I think Prendergast turned us down last summer and I can't imagine anything has changed since then.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There is no comparison between the calibre of squad Connacht have had over the last six or seven years and the years previously. Connacht are now better funded and as a result attracting far better players.

The table shows a slight regression under Friend with his first season being the best.

I don’t think anyone has suggested there are amazing unemployed coaches available, rather simply that there is better options than Pete Wilkins. Alternatives do not need to be unemployed either, I’m sure there are many assistant coaches elsewhere who would relish the opportunity to be a head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

One year deal understandable considering his injury record

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm loving the contract renewal videos! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Maul much better, scrum much better, lineout much better. But still the same problem that has been there season after season. You can't coach a player who simply is unable to use all these improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,620 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Someone's vinyl is scratched

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Lovely positive comment there ElizaAtWar 😳😳 not

Year on year the same problem. We build every aspect of the team, improve every aspect of the team and still left with the same problem. Why do we struggle so much with so much possession. You tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Not because of Blade.

Because our pack is too light, and our carriers not follewed closely enough.

We need bigger lock doing the unseen work IMO, that's why I've hopes in Joyce (+ Thornbury renewed)

Jack is unable to manage a game. And we have zero backup. That is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

I think Thornbury is late blooming player like Donnacha Ryan. He is clever, so after now he'll work well long time enouph.

Now Ryan(39) is assistant coach at La Rochelle. Is he thinking to return to anywhere in Ireland? And Is Felix Jones happy in SA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Caolin Blade sit down relax for the weekend Elisa has Jack in their sights now

I think it's more a case of injury woes than late blooming. From day one at Connacht his set piece was excellent and he was stepping up demanding the ball in difficult situations. Whenever we keep him fit for four or five games he starts looking like he deserves an international call up.

Based on the media reports La Rochelle signed Donncha Ryan on a three year contract so he's not available until next Summer. ROG will likely be able to offer a good deal to retain then.

I wouldn't want Felix Jones in our coaching team. All of his coaching experience has been in teams with a South African game plan. We don't have the squad to play a highly prescriptive power oriented game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Very sad news about Tom Tierney.

RIP.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mod Note: There is an update to the forum charter. Please read it here:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120286849/#Comment_120286849

Delighted for Mack Hansen getting MOTM. That said Keenan is such a class full back and James Lowe was everywhere. Was concerned about 9 , 10, 12 and 13. Thought Ross Byrne stood up really well but I always wondered about how well the rest would do and to be honest I didn't think they did that great. While Finlay was great, Tom O'Toole is not shabby. So a lot learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Big result for ulster today, that could drag sharks back into thr fight with us.

They finish the season at home to munster so if we're still in the fight then we've got a chance.

After watching Ireland vs Italy, then you watch Wales vs England. And it's legacy rugby. That is what we all watched happily for years. How things have changed. That Welsh English game was rubbish in comparison today. Would like to see the same coaching integrated into our provinces (other than Leinster who already play delightful rugby)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Thank you Ulster

We need IMO 16 to 17 points now.

Win next 3 (Dragons away Embra/Cardiff home) with TBP or we don't deserve Champions Cup anyway

Then 1 or 2 points in Glasgow, not the easiest but more likely than a win that would have been needed without this Sharks defeat.

OR Munster wins on last day in Durban, then this point would not be necessary!

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (33) - Signed 2 + 1 year contract in 2023

Matthew Burke (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Peter Dooley (29) - Signed contract in 2022

Jordan Duggan (25) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023

Oisin Michel (21) - Academy year 1

Charlie Ward (23) - Academy year 3

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (24) - Signed contract in 2022

Finlay Bealham (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Sam Illo (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Dominic Robertson-McCoy (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Hooker

Eoin De Buitléar (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Shane Delahunt (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Dave Heffernan (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Dylan Tierney-Martin (24) - Signed 3 year contract in 2023

Lock

Oisin Dowling (26) - Signed contract in 2022

Leva Fifita (34) - Signed contract in 2021

Joe Joyce (29) - Signed contract in 2023

Darragh Murray (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Niall Murray (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Gavin Thornbury (29) - Signed 1 year contract in 2023

Back row

Ciaran Booth (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Paul Boyle (26) - Signed contract in 2021

Jarrad Butler (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Shamus Hurley-Langton (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Sean Masterson (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Oisin McCormack (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Josh Murphy (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Conor Oliver (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Cian Prendergast (23) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Donnacha Byrne (22) - Academy year 3

John Forde (20) - Academy year 1

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (29) - Signed 3 year contract in 2023

Kieran Marmion (31) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020

Colm Reilly (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Matthew Devine (21) - Academy year 1

Will Reilly (u23) - Academy year 2

Outhalf

Jack Carty (31) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Conor Fitzgerald (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Harry West (20) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (33) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020

Shayne Bolton (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Tom Daly (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Tom Farrell (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Cathal Forde (21) - Signed contract in 2022

David Hawkshaw (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Byron Ralston (23) - Signed contract in 2022

John Devine (u21) - Academy year 1

Hugh Gavin (u20) - Academy year 1

Daniel Hawkshaw (21) - Academy year 1

Back 3

Adam Byrne (28) - Signed contract in 2022

Mack Hansen (25) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Shane Jennings (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Diarmuid Kilgallen (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Oran McNulty (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Tiernan O'Halloran (32) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

John Porch (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2023

Alex Wootton (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Shane Mallon (21) - Academy year 1

Chay Mullins (21) - Academy year 1

Josh O'Connor (22) - Academy year 2

*ages as at 01/09/2023

IN: Joe Joyce (Lock, Bristol Bears)

OUT: Grant Stewart (Hooker, TBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Oh dear. Matthew Devine will only be 23 in two years, horrible decision if true imo.

"Preference is completely going with home grown players" - no way this can be true, would be utterly deluded to expect more than 15-20 Connacht born players in the squad at any time. Picking up the likes of Marmion, Bealham, Boyle, Prendergast etc. at 19-20 has been incredibly fruitful for us I have no idea why we would turn our back on that now. Kieran has over 200 caps and been with us for 11 years, he's as Connacht as it gets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Yea, that reason makes no sense. There since 19 is homegrown imo.

I think that’s a sloppy reason to justify a decision that is based on reducing wages.

Advertisement