Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tintedgreenglasses2016

I suppose EliseAtWar has a point with mention of infrastructure. Do we really need a big stand? You would be frozen in it. If you were to look at statistical numbers of people who attend Connacht games would a big stand make a difference. Instead maybe cover the goal post ends and provide a bit of comfort. And these areas are wheelchair accessible which a big stand will not be.

I just think we have a limit to the numbers of people who will attend a Connacht rugby game. And a big stand is not going to change that other than lose a bit of atmosphere.

I would so love if that available money was spent on players instead

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Infairness our facilties are piss poor. We definitely need to invest in infrastructure. I would take another 1-2 indifferent seasons if it means to we invest for the future. Best case is the dogs eventually close down and we can put in small covered stands behind rhe goals. No point spending a penny on it at rhe moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

You cant have a covered/pernament structure at bohermore/college road while the dogs stay in the venue and having heard what many visitng people to ground have said yes a larger seated covered stand would make a big difference. connacht can also sell them for more €€€ than terrace tickets as well. covering the ends wouldnt be wheelchair accessible anyway

Oyonnax officially announced Dewald Senekal on a two year deal today. Nothing we didn't already know but at least it's official now. Best of luck to him there. He did a great job improving our forward play and putting a bit more edge into the way we compete.

covering the ends wouldnt be wheelchair accessible anyway

The ends have always been wheelchair accessible. What you say is simply not true

• Advertisement

A big stand is our best option at the Sportsground. Ideally we'd have a slightly more balanced stadium but we only have viable development land on one side of the ground and like it or not we have to live with the dogs into the future.

Building a big stand will solve some of our big problems too:

• We're cramming people into an awkward ground despite having reduced our capacity and crowd size from peak.
    • We currently have very poor corporate facilities. The branch must be missing out on lots of potential income without them.
    • We have very few seats and even fewer in good positions. I know plenty of people who want a more comfortable match night experience.
    • It can be designed with high quality wheelchair access. It will definitely have elevators and it's the obvious place to cater for our disabled fans.
    • Any recent research I've seen around casual sports fans and particularly the younger sports audience points towards "match day experience" being a big factor in building attendence.

If we want to be playing Champions Cup rugby regularly, making play-off matches in the URC, and building some hype around big Interpro matches I think we need the extra capacity a bigger ground will bring. I have a soft spot for the Sportsground after years watching games there but it's a shite stadium and that really does matter to casual fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

What Sale have at the AJ Bell Stadium should be the goal tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

"We can watch the game afterwards"

Sorry, what? You're there for the jolly up? Why not watch it in the pub then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Theyre not wheelchair friendly though. in a wheelchair you cant see the game from where bohermore as you cant have wheelchairs in the main walkway down there and for games with extended terracing in place it would be even worse. you then have issues of getting people over the track and to see pitch with barriers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Munster fan here, just catching up with the last couple of pages - I love going to the Sportsground, don't get up there often enough at all. Having it so close to town is a massive bonus - I can't imagine trekking out to somewhere on the outskirts or near the motorway. People want to visit Galway afterwards for their night out.

My 2 cents is develop the Sportsground. It's currently the same capacity as Musgrave Park in Cork, I think add another 8-10K onto it and you'd have a fine sized stadium (or building it smaller but ensure it so plenty of temporary seating can be put in if it's going to be a big game). There's an argument that they built Thomond too big at 26k.

In Limerick they do Park and Rides from all major routes in to the city. Seems to be a big success. You get a good few cars parking in LIT next door but a lot of people walk out from the town or get the bus.

EDIT: on another note, maybe this has been mentioned elsewhere and I've missed it, but what's up with Bundee being out of favour?

• Advertisement

The planning permission is for a 12,000 capacity venue when all the work is complete. A big 7,000 capacity stand replacing the Clan terrace, an extension to full pitch length of the main stand, and some form of flexible end terracing to extend capacity. I think it's an ideal size for Connacht. Ambitious beyond current best case ticket sales but not too big.

I'd be hoping for a decent supporters bar for match days too. A supporters club can really build on a good match day venue to meet up early and invite away supporters clubs into.

We'll probably never find out what the full story with Bundee is. Hopefully it's mostly calmed down when he gets back from Ireland camp. I've heard various rumours but nothing worth reposting online. For my money I reckon he'd probably really frustrated by a combination of our club form, our attack malfunctioning, his own club form at times, and him not being able to have an impact when he's available. I know people think that internationals should just slot in, but that relies on a consistency of game plan and combination building in a way we just haven't had recently. Centers are the ones who tend to look completely out of sorts when all the attacking structures malfunction.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

I am excited to see u 20 match vs Scotland tommorow, especially their TH Barrett (Corintians). If he expectedly grow up so fast, he will become the key player of Connacht. He shuld be more bigger with mucle and need to make lower the centre of Gravity. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

You mean today as match is tonight not tomorrow (Sat).

Sorry,I am wrong.

Just some quick thoughts on the redevelopment of the Sportsground.

Prior to building the current Clan Stand, you were looking at average attendance of 1500/2000. Improved infrastructure encouraged more people to go.

Yes, we dont want them to build a massive stadium, that is 90% empty. There is a balance. As the Munster fan pointed out above, a stadium the size of Musgrave Park would be ideal. I know people, who dont buy tickets, because all of their friends/family have season tickets in the Clan Stand, and it is basically a closed shop to new fans. They dont want to be in the main stand on their own

As for moving the stadium out of the city, that is a terrible idea. Cardiff tried it, and moved back to a smaller stadium. Location is more important than facilities. I'm surprised park and ride hasn't been implemented already. Maybe start by forcing people to pre-book tickets, so buses can be properly organised, but having small park and ride centers in maybe, Tuam, Loughrea, the University, Barna, and the airport would allow lots of people to get to the game without needing to park near the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht sign Irish qualified Sean Jansen from Leicester Tigers. Seems like he's a big ball carrying number 8 type.

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/news/sean-jansen-joins-connacht-from-leicester/bp2482/

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1634207566745026560

Is Paul Boyle's signed up for 23/24 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭testtech05

I was just wondering this, new signing looks promising based on my limited knowledge of him but to me it all depends whos place he is taking whether it strengthens the squad overall or not.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Really liking the look of the pack for next season if we aren’t losing anyone else. Joyce and Jansen should add some real beef, saw rumours of Moore from Ulster coming in at hooker too. Potentially something like:

Buckley, Dooley, Duggan, Burke

Heffernan, DTM, De Buitlear, Moore

Bealham, Auinger, Illo, Barrett

N Murray, D Murray, Dowling

Thornbury, Joyce

Prendergast, Murphy, Booth

Oliver, SHL, McCormack

Boyle, Jansen, Butler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 _nobody_

That interview wouldn't fill me with a huge amount of confidence......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Fiachna Barrett will be in the first year of the academy next year. He's only in his second season of playing prop, will be a a while before he's playing senior rugby I'd imagine. Be interesting to see if we retain DRM or look at another option in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Don’t think he’ll see much if any game time at all, just don’t see them making a signing there either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

We'll need a fourth option of some form with Finlay going to the world cup.

Already barrett looks to deserve senior squads member. He looks very quick leaner in the match against Scotland even though they too weak opponents. His size is huge.He is clever to understand that he shuld do at the time. Maybe , after this summer, he will put much more ability underTucker. Anyway he shuld be used in real professional matches. And he must care of food life(Other players too) Galway is one of the most rich food-variety area in the world..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yes we shouldn't spend money on TH, Aungier and Illo good enough for 2 months, if you give McCoy (who didn't disappoint) a RWC-short-term contract.

Then 3 TH with Finlay back, at worse Barrett may play 2 or 3 games on the bench in February 2024. No issue

listened to same interview. Ruane is a business dude. you wouldn't even know the product was rugby. and that's fine. he leads Connacht rugby business, not Connacht rugby.

The Willie Ruane interview didn't really reveal anything that wasn't already know. Regardless of people's opinions of Wilkins, it's now time for the branch to back him now with the assistants he needs and whatever signings we can cobble together the budget for. There'll be a huge legacy from his time as CEO if the stadium redevelopment can be shepherded through without saddling us with too much debt.

Delighted for Hansen today. And at the same time I'm gutted for Conor Murray. I suspect it may be his last international appearance. Truly appreciate all he has done for Irish rugby and wish him and his family only good things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Murray will be in the squad for the world cup. Alot of competition at SH but he has the experience of playing big games in the past. Can't see him playing for Ireland after the world cup.

Advertisement