Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Feel for Treviso but we'll take it

Ya same here. That's twice in a row now for them. Same against Munster a few weeks back.

We should not have made such hard work of that with the team we had out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

An undeserving win. Game was all over the place. Most frustrating was kicking the ball away all game long. Is this the new Connacht style. If so it doesn't work so stop doing it and play a bit of rugby. That performance was hard to watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I blame FFF, I thought we were doomed from the minute this was posted:
    Treviso have played 11, lost 11, and they have 12 players in the Italian squad this weekend. I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean this is the team that Zebre used to beat up for a few points every year when they were beyond hopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Treviso have played 11, lost 11, and they have 12 players in the Italian squad this weekend. I wouldn't worry about it.
    And yet with two minutes to go they were three points up. I wonder if the Connacht team took a lackadaisical attitude towards the game as well.

I echo what others have said, you’d feel sorry for Treviso. Good teams win even when they’re playing badly sums up what happened tonight. And in fairness, Connacht were brave enough to go for the lineout twice at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

serfboard wrote: »
    And yet with two minutes to go they were three points up. I wonder if the Connacht team took a lackadaisical attitude towards the game as well.

I echo what others have said, you’d feel sorry for Treviso. Good teams win even when they’re playing badly sums up what happened tonight. And in fairness, Connacht were brave enough to go for the lineout twice at the end.

I don't think there was any choice but to go for the lineout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bazzo wrote: »
    I blame FFF, I thought we were doomed from the minute this was posted:

Hey, I told yiz not to worry.

Totally vindicated.

I don't think there was any choice but to go for the lineout.

Absolutely right. A draw would have been useless. They had to try and stay in touch with Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

That was like watching Connacht Rugby 15 years ago with Benetton going through the phases in their 22.

You just knew we were going to the corner and getting out with the W there.

Fair play to Bundee after giving away the penalty.

Now can we just say Kieran and Dowling were the only positives from that game and never speak about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Absolutely right. A draw would have been useless. They had to try and stay in touch with Munster

It would have mattered for Europe
    but now it's better with 4 points.

The gap with cardiff seems important but is (was) not

Cardiff may take between 15 and 20 points in their last 4
    we have a very hard schedule (Munster and Scarlets away)
    So this 15 point-gap is a breath. Win vs Edinburgh WILL be enough, 2 BP without wins in the last 3 MAY be enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

In all seriousness that was a ****e performance, but my god does it feel good to be on the other end of a mugging at the death for once.

Why in **** was Carty not brought on? Fitzgerald was good at some things and pedestrian to ok at others but he was miles off Carty. The absolutely woeful kicking for most of the second half(Treviso came off better in a true cripple fight there) was painful to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

its_phil wrote: »
    That was like watching Connacht Rugby 15 years ago with Benetton going through the phases in their 22.

You just knew we were going to the corner and getting out with the W there.

Fair play to Bundee after giving away the penalty.

Now can we just say Kieran and Dowling were the only positives from that game and never speak about it again.

Dowling showed lots tonight, felt marmion and toh did well, thought daly did a lot

gally74 wrote: »
    Dowling showed lots tonight, felt marmion and toh did well, thought daly did a lot

Murray was decent when he came in too

These too are great for our future when we could have worried with Roux ageing/injuring himself constantly

Bazzo wrote: »
    In all seriousness that was a ****e performance, but my god does it feel good to be on the other end of a mugging at the death for once.

Why in **** was Carty not brought on? Fitzgerald was good at some things and pedestrian to ok at others but he was miles off Carty. The absolutely woeful kicking for most of the second half(Treviso came off better in a true cripple fight there) was painful to watch.
    You could only surmise that the reason Carty wasn't used was a late scare for Sexton which will see him on the bench tomorrow?

I just didn't get Wooten today at all. He just continued to kick away possession all day rather than use his teammates.

You could only surmise that the reason Carty wasn't used was a late scare for Sexton which will see him on the bench tomorrow?

I just didn't get Wooten today at all. He just continued to kick away possession all day rather than use his teammates.

For once I'm ok with Wootton, made two good tackles which is nearly a 1st for my sight...
    He can be a complete winger!

P.Sulivan outpaced most of the game though. Really slow pace. Can't see him re-signed losing 3 meters on a Trevisio winger in a short run twice or thrice...

No BP for Cardiff Blues

We are in Europe next season!!

Achievement per se!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

connachta wrote: »
    No BP for Cardiff Blues

We are in Europe next season!!

Achievement per se!!!

Wouldn’t celebrate yet. No guarantee the rainbow cup will go ahead. Season could get extended yet

For once I'm ok with Wootton, made two good tackles which is nearly a 1st for my sight...

P.Sulivan outpaced most of the game though. Really slow pace. Can't see him re-signed losing 3 meters on a Trevisio winger in a short run twice or thrice...

He’s first year out of AIL and had a great start to this season. Can’t toss baby out of the bath water like that on players.

He’s first year out of AIL and had a great start to this season. Can’t toss baby out of the bath water like that on players.

I think "pure speed" is not, like tackling or other technical/physical points, smth you can improve a lot.

Maybe he was in a bad day, hope so, let's see him again, in March. But I remember he was outsped in his own video highlights.
    He can bacome "Trimble-like-profile", maybe...

Wooten was absolutely terrible. He was probably the biggest reason Connacht didn't click tonight. He just kicked every ball to the opposition. And of course he looked defensively rubbish as normal.

And you had no issue with Wooten. Jeepers

Wooten was absolutely terrible. He was probably the biggest reason Connacht didn't click tonight. He just kicked every ball to the opposition. And of course he looked defensively rubbish as normal.

And you had no issue with Wooten. Jeepers

He made two good tackles. Happy by that

By the way maths say we're not yet european until tomorow 3PM,
    though, even if the unlikely scenario of BPs happens in the games,

I can't see Scarlets winning in Thomond (probably needing a BP, too) AND Edinburgh getting 5 wins in a row with some BPs and away ones to Connacht AND Cardiff.

Connacht are 3rd of the pool when Rainbow arrives!!!

• Advertisement

Again we're above 10% of missed tackles

but we have Dowling/Boyle/Butler saving our ass doing more than 10 missing none! Each!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

4 points that's what matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Not a mention this morning on RTE radio sport of Connachts win over Bennaton now if it was Leinster shameful carry on, well done great win

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Not a mention this morning on RTE radio sport of Connachts win over Bennaton now if it was Leinster shameful carry on, well done great win

Great win???

Jeez did you see the game? A fully loaded connacht limped over the line against Treviso seconds.

Really not much to write home about.

Take the four and move on

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Great win???

Jeez did you see the game? A fully loaded connacht limped over the line against Treviso seconds.

Really not much to write home about.

Take the four and move on

Buckley
    Heff
    Roux
    Dillane
    SOB
    Carty
    Farrell
    Arnold
    Porch

Would be Connacht firsts

Many of these picked yesterday were not far at all, I'm not saying it was a "A" team, but clearly not our main XV. Only our back-row was used to play together, I understand disruption and conservativeness in our style yesterday. Treviso weren't totally poor either.
    Good 4 points. No more but no less

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Every team has injuries.

"Fully loaded" means as strong as possible. Connachts 23 yesterday was as strong as possible bar dillane and heffernan.
    Coming out of Treviso with a last minute win against a team who are now zero for twelve is nothing to be happy about.

Connacht have some serious issues which need addressing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Buckley
    Heff
    Roux
    Dillane
    SOB
    Carty
    Farrell
    Arnold
    Porch

Would be Connacht firsts

Many of these picked yesterday were not far at all, I'm not saying it was a "A" team, but clearly not our main XV. Only our back-row was used to play together, I understand disruption and conservativeness in our style yesterday. Treviso weren't totally poor either.
    Good 4 points. No more but no less

Treviso were pretty good, scrums, lineout, defence all solid, just a bit blunt in attack, they should have put us away. Last night's team would be closer to my first choice than yours, only roux, carty, Farrell and porch missing for me.

Every team has injuries.

"Fully loaded" means as strong as possible. Connachts 23 yesterday was as strong as possible bar dillane and heffernan.
    Coming out of Treviso with a last minute win against a team who are now zero for twelve is nothing to be happy about.

Clealy not strong as possibe in the starting XV

I do not disagree with matters needing to be adressed.
    Lineout (we can't blame Heff throwig only), tunovers, and above all defence out wide, very worrying

Maul (defence and attack) looks better over the last 2 games, though, work in progress.

Friend, IMO, prepares now a very exciting period maturing young guns like Aungier, Duggan, Murray, Sullivan/Kilgallen, S.Masterson
    Building a squad

Every team has injuries.

We were crap last night but we won our fifth straight away from home.

Issues are not as serious as you’re making them out. Work to do on defence but tear the playbook up, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

We were crap last night but we won our fifth straight away from home.

Issues are not as serious as you’re making them out. Work to do on defence but tear the playbook up, no.

There was no playbook last night bar kick for territory. In the first half we were throwing it around, trying offloads that weren't on, without doing the hard work first to create the space needed to do that. The second half we just kicked back to them over and over. Treviso played all the rugby in that half. Bar the first and last 2 minutes of the half I don't think I've ever been as bored watching Connacht.

Advertisement