Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Zzippy wrote: »
    There was no playbook last night bar kick for territory. In the first half we were throwing it around, trying offloads that weren't on, without doing the hard work first to create the space needed to do that. The second half we just kicked back to them over and over. Treviso played all the rugby in that half. Bar the first and last 2 minutes of the half I don't think I've ever been as bored watching Connacht.

Yeah you’d wonder how not having Andy Friend there affected them.

Treviso kept pinning us back and we were scared of our lives to lose the ball and concede a penalty. That’s where Jack would have brought some assurance. I nearly thought we’d be better to concede a score earlier to try get some territory as it was just line outs down the right side of the pitch from 60 to 75 minutes. When Treviso did carry, we were afraid to poach and give away a penalty.

Treviso suffocated us with a simple plan during that period and deserve credit as we were uncomfortable. That needs work.

The Boyle knock on 5m out was a killer for momentum. Probably get out with a bonus point if we score there. Then the turnover penalty on their 10m, we went into our shells.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now pure maths
    Connacht in ChampCup!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

its_phil wrote: »
    Yeah you’d wonder how not having Andy Friend there affected them.

Treviso kept pinning us back and we were scared of our lives to lose the ball and concede a penalty. That’s where Jack would have brought some assurance. I nearly thought we’d be better to concede a score earlier to try get some territory as it was just line outs down the right side of the pitch from 60 to 75 minutes. When Treviso did carry, we were afraid to poach and give away a penalty.

Treviso suffocated us with a simple plan during that period and deserve credit as we were uncomfortable. That needs work.

The Boyle knock on 5m out was a killer for momentum. Probably get out with a bonus point if we score there. Then the turnover penalty on their 10m, we went into our shells.

Why wasn't friend there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Former academy centre Kieran Joyce has signed for Seattle Seawolves in MLR.

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Why wasn't friend there?

Did his knee during the week according to Galway Bay FM

• Advertisement

Did his knee during the week according to Galway Bay FM

That proves we have a serious injury crisis for centres, Friend trained to cover there...:P

knock knock
    who's there?
    European Champions Cup qualified!!! :D

On a ponderation stance, we have to bear in mind we've beaten Leinster A, Treviso A, Cardiff A, Dragons, Zebre which matters but less meanignful than Munster, Ulster, Scarlets, Bristol, which were all defeats. Only Edinburgh and Racing were performances in which Connacht can calibrate a real good level.

To be clear I'm not saying at all we're poor, just we've no positive indication against the bigger teams, and Saffers will be key test to where our young squad is

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Anyone have any idea when Connacht will announce contract renewals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when Connacht will announce contract renewals?

Judging by Alex wooten's comments I'd be surprised if a lot are not done or in the process of getting done already but probably will be announced in 2/3s over the course of a week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics/players

Was having a look here and found that Denis Buckley has given away the most penalties in the Pro14 this season (16). Probably a by-product of being a prop and playing in the majority of games, but is he generally considered an undisciplined player?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Was having a look here and found that Denis Buckley has given away the most penalties in the Pro14 this season (16). Probably a by-product of being a prop and playing in the majority of games, but is he generally considered an undisciplined player?

scrummaging has always been buckleys downfall.

his shape coupled with his binding style unfortunately gives a poor picture to refs when scrums go down, even when hes not the main fault.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    scrummaging has always been buckleys downfall.

his shape coupled with his binding style unfortunately gives a poor picture to refs when scrums go down, even when hes not the main fault.

The amount of poaching he does inflates that figure. He got penalised at least twice on Friday for it.

Not sure about previously but he has given away a lot of stupid penalties this season.

The amount of poaching he does inflates that figure. He got penalised at least twice on Friday for it.

He's not the same threat on the deck these days that he was ~2015, only one turnover in the league this year. Think he was one of the players who suffered when referees clamped down on jackallers putting their hands on the ground beyond the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Munster A will also be facing Connacht A on Saturday at the Sportsground (12pm).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

My team for Munster:

Buckley
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dowling
    Thornbury
    Butler
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Bundee
    Porch
    Toh

Heff
    Duggan
    Aungier
    Dillane
    Papalii
    Blade
    Fitz
    Healy

Would like to reward delahunt and dowling a good form, would prefer Bundee at 13 but likely to see that swapped. Big impact from the bench in Dillane, heff and papalii

Wegians89 wrote: »
    My team for Munster:

Buckley
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dowling
    Thornbury
    Butler
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Bundee
    Porch
    Toh

Heff
    Duggan
    Aungier
    Dillane
    Papalii
    Blade
    Fitz
    Healy

Would like to reward delahunt and dowling a good form, would prefer Bundee at 13 but likely to see that swapped. Big impact from the bench in Dillane, heff and papalii

I'd give Boyle, Thornbury and Porch a proper rest, they need to be fit for CC round of 16 and Rainbow Cup

I'd say it's now or never to test (with a start vs big team) either SOB 2.0 or Jennings because one of them will be in the senior squad next year... And Daly (desperatly) needs a game off

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

My team for Munster:

Buckley
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dowling
    Thornbury
    Butler
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Bundee
    Porch
    Toh

Heff
    Duggan
    Aungier
    Dillane
    Papalii
    Blade
    Fitz
    Healy

Looks good to me. Could be spicy, with Connacht lads aggrieved at lack of Ireland squad inclusion. Looking forward to it. Hon Connacht.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

My team for Munster:

Buckley
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dowling
    Thornbury
    Butler
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Bundee
    Porch
    Toh

Heff
    Duggan
    Aungier
    Dillane
    Papalii
    Blade
    Fitz
    Healy

Is McAllister injured? I'd have him on the bench if not.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Is McAllister injured? I'd have him on the bench if not.

I wouldn't tbh, think Duggan has been better this season and obviously has a much higher ceiling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I wouldn't tbh, think Duggan has been better this season and obviously has a much higher ceiling.

Agree with this, been very impressed with Duggan and aungier

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Duggan, Augier and Dowling have been great signings, full of promise. Dowling has had a very positive impact on the line out in the last two games, seems to make a nuisance of himself.

Two strong teams named for tomorrow considering it's in between internationals. We really do have a serious pool of players in Ireland.

Munster look stronger but I probably prefer going into a game as underdogs we tend to perform better.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Team named:

Buckley
    Heff
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Thornbury
    Butler
    Oliver
    Boyle

Blade
    Carty
    Healy
    Aki
    Daly
    Porch
    Toh

Delahunt
    Burke
    Aungier
    Murray
    E. Masterson
    Marmion
    O'Brien
    Wooton

Surprised Papalii isn't on the bench, didn't make the trip to Treviso either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

What are people's thoughts at SH? Are we maybe accepting that perhaps Blade is first choice now?

There was always a reason or * beside why he was ahead of Marmion for this game or that game. But those reasons seem to be thin now.

Personally I think Marmion is a better player. But Blade is a brilliant deputy, I wouldn't blink if he was in an Irish starting XV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Also what's up with Ben O'Donnell?

Injured, or a damp squib like Deegan?

Also what's up with Ben O'Donnell?

Injured, or a damp squib like Deegan?

Injured. Concussion

What are people's thoughts at SH? Are we maybe accepting that perhaps Blade is first choice now?

There was always a reason or * beside why he was ahead of Marmion for this game or that game. But those reasons seem to be thin now.

Personally I think Marmion is a better player. But Blade is a brilliant deputy, I wouldn't blink if he was in an Irish starting XV.

Marmion for me also. Blade still for me has a small tendency to try to force breaks that are not on and the play slows down while he is at the bottom of the ruck that Marmion seems to have a better grasp on . Both have brilliant fundamentals in terms of passing (despite pundits like o'driscoll claiming otherwise), pace and ability to move the team. Both have the cardinal sin for irish selection of not being known for box kicking

Someone summed it up for me in a better and more beer fueled time in o'connell's. If Blade had the opportunity marmion had when he debuted in terms of being an immediate cut above the other options and got the same run of starting games he probably would have developed beyond marmion by then (this was 2 years ago). Now it's genuinely debatable. Fantastic position to be in with another very promising option in reilly coming through. Not really sure on kerins as I rarely see him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Could be that neither is first choice and they'll just select based on the way they want to play that week. Marmion was one of the only ones who came out of the Benetton game with any credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Bazzo wrote: »
    Could be that neither is first choice and they'll just select based on the way they want to play that week. Marmion was one of the only ones who came out of the Benetton game with any credit.

It's close between them, Marmian for me but only by a bit. Great to have them both competing and I expect Reilly to join the competition next season.

Advertisement