Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

While I appreciate Wooten would like to start his performances have been all over the shop. Teams have started to target his wing as the weak link in the chain. So I'm happy to see Matt starting.
    Last week would not fill any Connacht supporter with confidence in a result tomorrow. And while Bundee got us out of Dodge last weekend his overall performances recently suggest he is not really focused on Connacht. He seems to be more focused on being dropped from the Irish squad which sees him becoming more an individual player trying to prove a point rather than a team player. And that is a problem for Connacht and another reason to worry about our performance tomorrow.
    Denis, being a bit of a penalty of a penalty magnet, is not going to help either.
    I'm lost on the Blade preferred over Marmion who I see as a faster distributor than Blade

And then for the positives. Well Heff will be able to hit Thornbury and brings more dynamism than Delahunt. Think our 9 and 10 are better than Munsters. Think Porch, TOH and Healy are stronger than Munster. Think our second row are better than Munsters.

So what will it come down to and who will win. I think Munster will bully us and the issues we have in the maul for some time now will be our Achilles heel. Would like to be proven wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    While I appreciate Wooten would like to start his performances have been all over the shop. Teams have started to target his wing as the weak link in the chain. So I'm happy to see Matt starting.
    Last week would not fill any Connacht supporter with confidence in a result tomorrow. And while Bundee got us out of Dodge last weekend his overall performances recently suggest he is not really focused on Connacht. He seems to be more focused on being dropped from the Irish squad which sees him becoming more an individual player trying to prove a point rather than a team player. And that is a problem for Connacht and another reason to worry about our performance tomorrow.
    Denis, being a bit of a penalty of a penalty magnet, is not going to help either.
    I'm lost on the Blade preferred over Marmion who I see as a faster distributor than Blade

And then for the positives. Well Heff will be able to hit Thornbury and brings more dynamism than Delahunt. Think our 9 and 10 are better than Munsters. Think Porch, TOH and Healy are stronger than Munster. Think our second row are better than Munsters.

So what will it come down to and who will win. I think Munster will bully us and the issues we have in the maul for some time now will be our Achilles heel. Would like to be proven wrong

I think you need some serious help with your anti Wooton issues. Every post, give yourself a break it's not rational !!!

I think you need some serious help with your anti Wooton issues. Every post, give yourself a break it's not rational !!!

I'm anti anyone who weakens the team overall. And Wooten deserves the criticism. His performances are from the sublime to the awful. And you can't trust who will turn up on the day.

I guess we will find out what Bundee Aki will turn up but that's his own issues. I would rather anybody other than Bundee at centre but we have no other options.

I don't critize for the sake of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I'm anti anyone who weakens the team overall. And Wooten deserves the criticism. His performances are from the sublime to the awful. And you can't trust who will turn up on the day.

I guess we will find out what Bundee Aki will turn up but that's his own issues. I would rather anybody other than Bundee at centre but we have no other options.

Pretty sure having the top try scorer in the competition in the team is more beneficial than leaving him out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Not really sure how you could possibly say Wooten weakens the team overall given his strike rate and the chances he's creating in attack.

A winger with lacklustre defence isn't exactly the be all and end all. Especially considering it's not like he's a barn door falling off tackles left right and centre letting players waltz through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

I'm a Wooten fan overall, how could you not be with his attacking prowess, and I was very surprised to see him on the bench.... However, I don't think there's anything wrong with him being benched. Obviously there's some reasoning to it, and he could be a bit of a 'wounded animal' coming off the bench, especially against Munster.

I'm not so sure that I'm happy to see Porch moved from full back though, I do think that TOH is unfortunately past his best (and I'd be a big fan of his)

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

You're absolutely full of it. Bundi now as well as Wooton. Jokeshop.

You're absolutely full of it. Bundi now as well as Wooton. Jokeshop.

Bundee

Let's just witness our Bundee tomorrow. He will add nothing, he will be a huge negative to Connacht rugby, but I guess a Tier 1 game is necessary to understand how little he offers as he trys to solve his international exclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Redo91

Let's just witness our Bundee tomorrow. He will add nothing, he will be a huge negative to Connacht rugby, but I guess a Tier 1 game is necessary to understand how little he offers as he trys to solve his international exclusion

Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I wish they'd make it so a certain feature also didn't show quotes.

Anyway, the Burke pick seems a bit odd? Would have had Duggan or failing that McAllister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

A winger with lacklustre defence isn't exactly the be all and end all.

I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, a solid defense is more important than a positive attack, and should always be the basis/platform a back three builds himself on.
    Especially considering it's not like he's a barn door falling off tackles left right and centre letting players waltz through.

Connacht hemorrhage tries on his wing, and as much as I disagree often with that other poster, they are correct in saying they are being targeted there. 73% is just that bit short on a tackle return. (Porch for example has improved massively here: 74% last year up to 89% this year. Healy at 87% for the season, etc). Also his defensive positioning is still poor. To be clear he is still in my preferred 23 with TOH, Porch and Healy every week.

I don't know if you recall with Fetu Vainikolo there was a similar scenario. He had a hape of tries and line breaks in a relatively short space of time and then one day the Scarlets kicked the ball at him, and exposed that he couldn't deal with it. (Letting it bounce and trying to stop it then with his feet was the most common approach). Every other time for the rest of his stay he was on the pitch teams would just drop bombs on him. Anyway, I am not saying Wootton has high ball issues. More so that regardless of how deadly in attack you are if oppositions are getting wise to your defensive frailties that isn't a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Bundee

If you're going to correct a poster's spelling of a player's name then it's best you learn to spell player's names yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Bundee

Fua Leiofi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The A game tomorrow will be streamed on the Connacht Rugby Youtube channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

KBurke85 wrote: »
    The A game tomorrow will be streamed on the Connacht Rugby Youtube channel

Any update on the team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

CONNACHT EAGLES MATCHDAY SQUAD VS MUNSTER ‘A’
    12pm, Saturday 6th March 2021 @ The Sportsground

15. Oran McNulty
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Ben O’Donnell
    12. Cathal Forde(u20)
    11. Diarmuid Kilgallen
    10. Conor Fitzgerald
    9. Colm Reilly
    1. Charlie Ward
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    4. Cian Prendergast
    5. Ciaran Booth
    6. Donnacha Byrne(u20)
    7. Sean Masterson (c)
    8. Abraham Papali’i

16. Declan Adamson
    17. Eoin de Buitlear(u20)
    18. Conor Kenny
    19. Diarmuid McCormack(u20)
    20. Oisin McCormack(u20)
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Shane Jennings(u20)
    23. Hubert Gilvarry(u20)
    24. Joshua Dunne

bayern wrote: »
    CONNACHT EAGLES MATCHDAY SQUAD VS MUNSTER ‘A’
    12pm, Saturday 6th March 2021 @ The Sportsground

15. Oran McNulty
    14. Peter Sullivan
    13. Ben O’Donnell
    12. Cathal Forde(u20)
    11. Diarmuid Kilgallen
    10. Conor Fitzgerald
    9. Colm Reilly
    1. Charlie Ward
    2. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    4. Cian Prendergast
    5. Ciaran Booth
    6. Donnacha Byrne(u20)
    7. Sean Masterson (c)
    8. Abraham Papali’i

16. Declan Adamson
    17. Eoin de Buitlear(u20)
    18. Conor Kenny
    19. Diarmuid McCormack(u20)
    20. Oisin McCormack(u20)
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Shane Jennings(u20)
    23. Hubert Gilvarry(u20)
    24. Joshua Dunne

Give or take 8 back rows in that squad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Having Papali'i playing an A game stinks of having an Under 14s game where there is that one fella who has bloomed early and is about 40kgs and 2 feet bigger than everyone else lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Having Papali'i playing an A game stinks of having an Under 14s game where there is that one fella who has bloomed early and is about 40kgs and 2 feet bigger than everyone else lol

Oh theres going to be some sore lads after that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Give or take 8 back rows in that squad

I make it 9.

Edit: Nevermind, you're right. Didn't read properly and got my Huberts mixed up. Costelloe is the backrow, Gilvarry is a small steppy winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I see they'll be streaming the eagles game on youtube. Something to watch tomorrow if you're at a loose end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭typhoony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Happy with the performance tonight but not again with the officiating. Think Munster got off very lightly with a lot.
    Thornbury had to get a call up soon. Playing out of his skin. And Jack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Decent performance tonight but a lot of awful decisions and over eagerness cost us. Typical Jack performance and showed why he's in the cold with Ireland Imo. Some awful decisions, giving the ball away at the end of the first half and again when we were down to 14, also a missed touch. We can spend every weekend talking about his playmaker ability but in all honesty it's mistakes like that keep him out of the national squad.

I don't want to come across as anti Jack but in all honesty he's had a chance between the Cardiff game and this one to make a claim for Ireland recognition and he hasn't taken it.

Tom Daly and Tom Farrell to be Connachts first choice centres next season?

Thought prendergast looked good again for the eagles yesterday, DTM looked good in play, line outs looked dodgy. Forde looked promising at 12 in the first half when Connacht were on top. Wonder if his long term is at 12 or 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Tom Daly and Tom Farrell to be Connachts first choice centres next season?

Ahead of Bundee? No offense to either of the lads who I think are excellent players but neither of them touch Bundee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Thought prendergast looked good again for the eagles yesterday, DTM looked good in play, line outs looked dodgy. Forde looked promising at 12 in the first half when Connacht were on top. Wonder if his long term is at 12 or 10.

Forde showed really good handling and passing skills a few times, good to see. Hard to know where he will end up, would definitely need to add a bit of size to play 12 for the first team.

Prendergast seems like a real prospect, think he could stake a real claim for the 6 jersey in the next couple of years, he's more dynamic than Masterson and less injured than SOB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ahead of Bundee? No offense to either of the lads who I think are excellent players but neither of them touch Bundee

Agree but the two lads have come on so much that Bundee missing no longer weakens the team as much as it would have before.

Advertisement