Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Has Stephen Kerins gone to Bristol. Saw an Instagram post yesterday and lady in question had him in his connacht gear saying " He's Bristol's Problem Now"

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Zzippy wrote: »
    Agree but the two lads have come on so much that Bundee missing no longer weakens the team as much as it would have before.

Yes. They all have their own strengths, so hopefully it's a selection headache the coaches have to contend with sooner rather than later. One weapon Daly brings is a good kicking game. I'd like to see him continue to use that because our lineout can cause opposition real problems in their own 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Lebute wrote: »
    Has Stephen Kerins gone to Bristol. Saw an Instagram post yesterday and lady in question had him in his connacht gear saying " He's Bristol's Problem Now"

Nothing announced but he was involved for the A's on Saturday against Munster.

TBH He probably needs a change of scenery. He's a best 4th choice now at Connacht

I had been hoping the Pro 14 would reverse the decision to cut the season short, but it seems that's not going to happen now. Listening to the latest craggy island podcast, they alluded to the rainbow cup games potentially all being played up here, presumably with the South African teams relocating to a base in the UK or Ireland for the duration. Was there any basis for this I wonder? Nothing on google. I personally still can't see the rainbow cup going ahead at all. What then? The players should probably just get a rest, since they've been on the go a long time with all the covid disruption.

RonnieL wrote: »
    I had been hoping the Pro 14 would reverse the decision to cut the season short, but it seems that's not going to happen now. Listening to the latest craggy island podcast, they alluded to the rainbow cup games potentially all being played up here, presumably with the South African teams relocating to a base in the UK or Ireland for the duration. Was there any basis for this I wonder? Nothing on google. I personally still can't see the rainbow cup going ahead at all. What then? The players should probably just get a rest, since they've been on the go a long time with all the covid disruption.

There was an article here https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/rainbow-cup-sa-based-overseas/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

macslash wrote: »
    Happy with the performance tonight but not again with the officiating. Think Munster got off very lightly with a lot.
    Thornbury had to get a call up soon. Playing out of his skin. And Jack too.

Any decisions in particular that stand out? Thought Thornbury was exceptional. Carty was more hot and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We saw, those who watched the Eagles game, the gap between U20 and senior/year 3 on the field.

IMO we can count fully on Tierney Martin, Prendergast, Reilly, S.Masterson, as soon as next season

Not meaningless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭typhoony

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Thought prendergast looked good again for the eagles yesterday, DTM looked good in play, line outs looked dodgy. Forde looked promising at 12 in the first half when Connacht were on top. Wonder if his long term is at 12 or 10.

the game end of last year Prendergast came on as a Sub I thought he had something to offer, haven't seen him play since, hopefully some of these dead rubbers the next few weeks we'll get to see him in the senior squad, is he 2nd row or Back-row?

typhoony wrote: »
    the game end of last year Prendergast came on as a Sub I thought he had something to offer, haven't seen him play since, hopefully some of these dead rubbers the next few weeks we'll get to see him in the senior squad, is he 2nd row or Back-row?

1 m 96 i'd have him as 2nd row and sign a back-row nexr year

+ 10 + utility centre/wing à la Poolman/Ili

3 signings only is realistic, with a few let go and Tierney/Prendergast/Reily/S.Masterson/McNulty becoming 3rd choices in their position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

typhoony wrote: »

Friend said he's a 6 in a presser, so I guess that's where his future lies.

• Advertisement

Whether Gallagher is kept or not (if he can play in Rainbow Cup he has his chance) will also conditioned Prendergast position and/or new signing in 2nd/back row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

connachta wrote: »
    Whether Gallagher is kept or not (if he can play in Rainbow Cup he has his chance) will also conditioned Prendergast position and/or new signing in 2nd/back row

Unfortunately don’t see much of a future for gallagher, a change of scenery might help his injuries but he’s quickly being over taken in pecking orders

1 m 96 i'd have him as 2nd row and sign a back-row nexr year

+ 10 + utility centre/wing à la Poolman/Ili

3 signings only is realistic, with a few let go and Tierney/Prendergast/Reily/S.Masterson/McNulty becoming 3rd choices in their position

Don’t know if a back row will be signed tbh, there’s a lot of quality options coming through the academy. I’d say it’d be more likely to see game time spread around between a few of them, in the hopes one or two prove to be ready. Tommy o donnell is leaving Munster I think and could be a shorter term option.

6. Sob masterson prendergast
    7. Butler Oliver masterson
    8. Boyle papalii

With McCormack, booth, Byrne and dunne all getting minutes here and there. Personally I would like another 7 to come in and compete with Oliver and have butler at 6.

Don’t see a need for a utility back either, Farrell Arnold and Stephen Fitz will be back and kilgallen, mcnulty and Jennings coming through. Money will be very tight and can only see one or two in with a lot more fringe players going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Oisin McCormack is very highly rated as a 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Stephen Kerins joining Bristol on short term deal

Don’t see a need for a utility back either, Farrell Arnold and Stephen Fitz will be back and kilgallen, mcnulty and Jennings coming through. Money will be very tight and can only see one or two in with a lot more fringe players going

I think many do not realise how short we are for centre/wing
    Because Bundee was released at the right time, but this won't happen too often, and Porch basically plays every games (fingers crossed it continues but we can't rely too much on that.).

SOB 2.0 doesn't seem to make the cut, and still him or Jennings, are due to start because there's no one else if Aki is brought back in the Irish squad. Healy and TOH are in their 30's too, won't play 80 min for 25 games

Robb/Farrell/Healy are all injury prone. We need what we had with Poolman and Ili to cover 13/14, and give an extra year to U20 McNuilty/Kilgallen/Jennings, who're still boys

O'Donnell to cover anywhere if there's absolutely no money, ok, but seems way too light for centre IMO

bayern wrote: »
    Oisin McCormack is very highly rated as a 7.

Would he be physically ready for Pro14 minutes? Booth was also highly rated at u20 level I believe, pre injury

Would he be physically ready for Pro14 minutes? Booth was also highly rated at u20 level I believe, pre injury

There're too many again in Leinster s back-row, if we're not a "development province" we should have one of them like Ulster had with Jordi Murphy.
    Doris, a Connachtman.

He'd start every game ha wants as 7/8 (not the case in Leinster), S.Masterson/Oliver as cover and Butler alterning the 7 and 6 spots with injury-prone SOB and Masterson
    Prendergast then kept in 2nd row

Ideal scenario...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Because Bundee was released at the right time, but this won't happen too often, and Porch basically plays every games (fingers crossed it continues but we can't rely too much on that.).

SOB 2.0 doesn't seem to make the cut, and still him or Jennings, are due to start because there's no one else if Aki is brought back in the Irish squad. Healy and TOH are in their 30's too, won't play 80 min for 25 games

Robb/Farrell/Healy are all injury prone. We need what we had with Poolman and Ili to cover 13/14, and give an extra year to U20 McNuilty/Kilgallen/Jennings, who're still boys

O'Donnell to cover anywhere if there's absolutely no money, ok, but seems way too light for centre IMO

I'd be happy if we could keep this squad together for next year. It's small at 39 players ( including 6 academy graduates from last season) but good quality in every position, with genuine competition.

We have had SOB, Fitzgerald, Farrell, Gallagher and Dean out pretty much all season and lost Papilli for key periods so we have done well with a limited group.

Gallaghers lack of rugby over a few years must be s concern as is Sob injury worries. Two big units that when fit could add significantly.

I'd be more concerned about who we might lose than who we might get.

Leicester Away is the draw in the challenge Cup.

Ospreys or Newcastle at home in a quarter final should we win

• Advertisement

Ironically gallagher pictured training today

We have 5 centres contracted for next season, it's probably the last position we would need to bolster.

It is definitely a nice luxury to have a back 3 player who can slot into the midfield comfortably, but not a priority. Maybe the plan is for Ben O'Donnell to fill that role, he played 13 for the Eagles last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Think Leicester are one of the few English teams we haven't had in Europe (or at least not recently). Shame we won't be able to attend the match in Welford Road, was there for a Munster match and it was good craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    Think Leicester are one of the few English teams we haven't had in Europe (or at least not recently). Shame we won't be able to attend the match in Welford Road, was there for a Munster match and it was good craic.

We have never played Leicester

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Leicester Away is the draw in the challenge Cup.

Ospreys or Newcastle at home in a quarter final should we win

Add Welford Road to the list of great away trips we've missed out on! They're mid table in the premiership, and with no crowd, maybe now's the time for that elusive win in England.

I'd be happy if we could keep this squad together for next year. It's small at 39 players ( including 6 academy graduates from last season) but good quality in every position, with genuine competition.

We have had SOB, Fitzgerald, Farrell, Gallagher and Dean out pretty much all season and lost Papilli for key periods so we have done well with a limited group.

Gallaghers lack of rugby over a few years must be s concern as is Sob injury worries. Two big units that when fit could add significantly.

I'd be more concerned about who we might lose than who we might get.

We have 43 contracted senior players this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Thanks 👠I was thinking it looked very light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i wonder will there be a clear out like last season

We have 5 centres contracted for next season, it's probably the last position we would need to bolster.

It is definitely a nice luxury to have a back 3 player who can slot into the midfield comfortably, but not a priority. Maybe the plan is for Ben O'Donnell to fill that role, he played 13 for the Eagles last week.

I know, my last sentance is about this option, not conviced...

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »

Worst draw with Bath IMO, if we target win

but nice match

Advertisement