Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Is anyone else surprised/ disappointed at Carty and Bealham only being 1 year contracts?

I'd be worried that if their international situation doesn't improve in the next year they will be looking to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It wouldn't surprise me if some players opt for one year contracts in order to test the waters in 2022 when the rugby economy will (hopefully!) be in a better place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,355 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Is anyone else surprised/ disappointed at Carty and Bealham only being 1 year contracts?

I'd be worried that if their international situation doesn't improve in the next year they will be looking to move on.

Have a feeling Carty may try France. Looks like he's being pushed out of the Ireland picture so he might see it as the right time. Bad for Connacht though. Very bad. Either means spending decent money on an import or trying to convince one of the young 10's to move west. But I can't see Leinster or Munster being too keen on letting any of their young 10's go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Porch looks like possibly a 1 year deal as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Have a feeling Carty may try France. Looks like he's being pushed out of the Ireland picture so he might see it as the right time. Bad for Connacht though. Very bad. Either means spending decent money on an import or trying to convince one of the young 10's to move west. But I can't see Leinster or Munster being too keen on letting any of their young 10's go.

Couldn't blame Carty for leaving for a payday in France, he owes connacht and irish rugby nothing.

Connacht should target Ben Healy or Bill Johnston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Team named

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS EDINBURGH RUGBY
    Saturday 13th March, The Sportsground, kick-off 7.35pm

Name/Number/Caps ( * denotes uncapped)
    15. Alex Wootton (16)
    14. Ben O’Donnell (2)
    13. Sean O’Brien (Acad) (4)
    12. Tom Daly (41)
    11. Matt Healy (146)
    10. Jack Carty (152)
    9. Kieran Marmion (179)
    1. Denis Buckley (195)
    2. Shane Delahunt (93)
    3. Jack Aungier (12)
    4. Niall Murray (11)
    5. Gavin Thornbury (53)
    6. Cian Prendergast (5)
    7. Jarrad Butler (69) (C)
    8. Eoghan Masterson (105)

Replacements
    16. Jonny Murphy (13)
    17. Jordan Duggan (8)
    18. Conor Kenny (10)
    19. Abraham Papali’I (7)
    20. Conor Oliver (15)
    21. Caolin Blade (125)
    22. Conor Fitzgerald (30)
    23. Oran McNulty *

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

This team is made to win it

Good to see McNulty celebrating his senior contract with a cap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Like the look of that team. But weak at centre. Excited to see prendergast again. Wootton at 15 will be interesting too.

Buckley creeping up on 200 caps

The fact that both Murphy and DTM aren't on the signings list means we'll see more news, it's not 1 announcement for all

- either both are in competition till June for 1 re-sign
    - either a newcomer

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

bayern wrote: »
    Couldn't blame Carty for leaving for a payday in France, he owes connacht and irish rugby nothing.

Connacht should target Ben Healy or Bill Johnston.

Agree around Healy or even Jack Crowley, quickly becoming a backlog at Munster of our halves. I think Johnston is for the Championship next season but I think he is a good player, just hasn’t had opportunities at Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Looking forward to see what Wootton gives at 15. He has the attacking skill for it will be the defensive skills I want to see developed more tbh

Buck 200th cap coming before the end of this season, in all likelyhood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Every chance Carty gets back around international squad (especially if coaching set up changes, which seems like a possibility).

Wouldn’t be targeting Bill Johnston, 24 now and very little impact at Ulster. Doubt Ben Healy would want to leave, maybe if Carbery stays fit and he struggles for game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Every chance Carty gets back around international squad (especially if coaching set up changes, which seems like a possibility).

Wouldn’t be targeting Bill Johnston, 24 now and very little impact at Ulster. Doubt Ben Healy would want to leave, maybe if Carbery stays fit and he struggles for game time.

Healy signed a 1 year deal for a reason and the IRFU won't want to lose him to Scotland...

Johnston better than Fitzgerald anyway.

I'd hope Connacht would throw the kitchen sink at keeping him. Home-grown 10s of his ability are extremely rare to us, and if he leaves we will definitely be replacing him with a lesser quality player. Possibly a fringe player from another province but then if they do come good they won't have the same loyalty as Carty would...

Top home grown talent needs to be held on to at all costs IMO

Nobody noticed but Papali'i named as 19 is my fulfilled dream.
    A Naoupu kind of beast covering 8 and 5.
    I think the staff gives him extra time to prove he can be re-signed..

connachta wrote: »
    Nobody noticed but Papali'i named as 19 is my fulfilled dream.
    A Naoupu kind of beast covering 8 and 5.
    I think the staff gives him extra time to prove he can be re-signed..

I doubt he's covering the second row, Prendergast at 6 would likely shift forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Bazzo wrote: »
    I doubt he's covering the second row, Prendergast at 6 would likely shift forward

Or Masterson

Or Masterson

Yeah maybe.. Probably..
    He could though

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

connachta wrote: »
    Yeah maybe.. Probably..
    He could though

he only made the switch to union the year before he joined Connacht

not a hope in hell hes able for the second row of a scrum with no prior experience at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Any reason why DTM never seems to get a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1370037606671601668?s=09

That is a cool way of announcing those extensions!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,725 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,374 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1370037606671601668?s=09

That is a cool way of announcing those extensions!

Very good in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Any reason why DTM never seems to get a go?

Strange one as Murphy seems to be firmly in place as a sub hooker only when heff is away, Delahunt is always the starter.

There were some here who said he wasn't showing much for the eagles but this year he seems to be called out a fair but for his performances so I would have expected to see him by now.

Really looking forward to mcnulty getting a go

freyners wrote: »
    Strange one as Murphy seems to be firmly in place as a sub hooker only when heff is away, Delahunt is always the starter.

There were some here who said he wasn't showing much for the eagles but this year he seems to be called out a fair but for his performances so I would have expected to see him by now.

Really looking forward to mcnulty getting a go

If he isn’t involved next week could spell trouble for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd hope Connacht would throw the kitchen sink at keeping him. Home-grown 10s of his ability are extremely rare to us, and if he leaves we will definitely be replacing him with a lesser quality player. Possibly a fringe player from another province but then if they do come good they won't have the same loyalty as Carty would...

Top home grown talent needs to be held on to at all costs IMO

Couldn't agree more, being realistic Connacht will be doing very well to produce an indigenous outhalf of his ability every ten years. Imo we need all the home grown players we can get in the squad, even in backup roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Andy confirmed on the craggy podcast today that negotiations are ongoing with Quinn. Fingers crossed.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Andy confirmed on the craggy podcast today that negotiations are ongoing with Quinn. Fingers crossed.

Saffers maybe put money on the table as his experience vs other Pro16 teams is valuable...

• Advertisement

Can’t see roux going to South Africa, would more likely be France in my opinion. Most likely scenario is extending with Connacht. He’s vital to Connacht and probably the closest Connacht player to an Irish 23 at the moment (ropes injury anyways) has a young child here too

Advertisement