Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

No definite mention of contract length but reads like a 1 year deal

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

that is a bloody great signing !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Announcement said for the 24-25 season so think we can assume its one year.

Not seen much of him but from the highlights I think it's fair to say he'll be a running threat in a way that no connacht ten since......….did we ever have a running threat out half lol!

From reddit looks like a guy with a lot of talent who hasn't progressed the way he might have hoped, which is something we should be looking to sign.

He was seen as the successor to Lima sopaga at the Highlanders and had a pretty good first main season at 10. After that he suffered from "swiss army knife" syndrome and played almost an equal amount at 10, 15 and 12. I was disappointed when he left the Highlanders, and we never really replaced him, faffing about with others like Freddy burns, patchell, Bryn gatland and Mitch hunt.

He hasn't been able to break into the starting 15 at the chiefs, and most of his sub appearances have been at 15.

Hopefully this move is to see him regain his main position at out half

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

At a time when budgets are tight and the market isn't flowing with proven 10's, you'd have to say Ioane is a good signing on lateish notice. We badly need him to step up immediately and overtake Carty if we want to do anything of note in 2024/25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Assume he'll play Mitre 10? Wonder when he'll arrive, need him here for preseason ideally if he's to come in as first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Scythica

That is a fantastic signing.

A few seasons ago he was the next bit hope for NZ future, few problems with partying / being behind established names have stunted his growth but providing he's bought into it, has a v high ceiling.

More of a potential superstar signing than Morgan for Ulster, imo as an Ulster fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It says he has joined for the 24/25 season but doesn't mention anything else. I would hope he is here for pre-season as it really doesn't make sense if he is not.

Preseason started either last Monday or next Monday so I'm not sure he'll make the start of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Considering the timing this looks a good signing. I think his highlight reel would suggest that he would have been very well suited to previous Connacht playing styles. Hopefully we will have consigned last season's shovelball to the bin and we get to see his and jacks passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

There’s the makings of a really exciting backline now. Just hope the coaches can get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

That is a big hope. We need the coaching ticket to improve massively on last year..

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Great to see Cordero playing for Argentina tomorrow, looked like his international days were over

Challenge cup fixtures

Home Zebre 7/12/24 Away Perpignan 15/12/24

Home Lyon 11/1/25 Away Cardiff 17/1/25

Why are we playing both URC teams?

Would rather Cardiff at home rather than Zebre, hard to see 4 wins out of that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Really? Home games are very winnable and depending on what way perpignan treat tournament that could definitely be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It appears that they decided to go with three groupings of 2 teams in each pool.

Each pool has a French pair, a URC pair, and a mixed pair (Pool A’s mix is an Invitational team plus a URC team, Pool B’s is an English team plus a URC team, Pool C’s is an English team plus an Invitational team).

Connacht were drawn out of the hat to pair with Cheetahs.

Play all teams of the other groupings.

Pool A
    Group 1 (URC) Cardiff, Zebre
    Group 2 (Fra) Lyon, Perpignan
    Group 3 (Invit&URC) Cheetahs, Connacht.

Pool B, like above but Emirates Lions paired with Newcastle Falcons.

Pool C, Black Lions paired with Gloucester to make three groupings.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Kiwi's over on Reddit don't seem enthused at all by him, sounds like he could be another lad on a Mils Muliania gap year boozing & riding it up around Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

If he has any cop on he'll take the Pita Ahki outlook and view at a chance to get a big contract in France. He's still young enough if he has the right attitude. I'm not sure if Bundee is the man to be the wise head putting the arm round the shoulder though 😅

• Advertisement

Very harsh comparison. Muliaina was a poor signing but it was nothing to do with drinking or riding. All his pace had gone when we signed him. Maybe I missed something but my menory was of a good pro who didn't make any trouble. Connacht treated Muliaina really poorly when the false accusaitons were made against him in the UK, and any of his boozing troubles were in his early part of his career before he became an All Black.

I hope Ioane works out here. If not we're no worse off than starting the season with only one recognised senior out-half who hasn't been fully fit for two seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Fair play to Blade he didn't have the best season but acquitted himself well today when he came on, especially his great pass for the drop goal

He didn't look out of place at all. Nice little mental boost for him going into the break. Himself back in form will do wonders for the backline hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭kita99

Now Argentina won against young France. Cordero played steadily 80 min. After this match, if he may call up to Argentina, his confluence to Connacht may a bit be delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

I Was very critical of blade this season but he did very well when he came in yesterday bar 1 poor kick that went too far just after he came on. Hopefully that can give him confidence for next season.

Shoutout to Finlay aswell there was 1 penalty given against him but overall with all the changes in the pack the scrum held up well in the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Dear Pete Wilkins, this is what Caolan Blade is capable of doing - when he's not captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭kita99

Recently, I watched the super rugby match between Chiefs v Reds. It's only game Ioane play as a starter (at15) 23~24 season. he played around 70 minutes and got 1 try. The tactics of Chiefs have been based by almost Damien McKenzie's game -control, so Ioane didn't stand out so much individually, and he didn't play at his pace and didn't any mistake. after this match, he has been given no starter's chance. I guess that he has frustrated Chiefs' policy. I think he sarves many game time. When is he coming to Galway? And one more thing, is Hansen back to the training? Santi Cordero will start against Urguay today. If he will be selected into the sqads of champions cup, he cannot come to galway until the end of Septenber and he may be select as a member autumn tour. If it's happened , Connacht cannot use him untill next year. Did Ruane know it from the time of the contract? On the other hand, Hugh Gavin was very impressive at the play-off of U 20. And Devine looks healthy. If their FWs can play decently at their set pieces and break downs, in this autumn, they'll be much stronger than last season. Please do hardest work as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Hansen is in the photos posted of the first week of pre season training.

Argentina have no restrictions on picking overseas players, which we would have been aware of when signing Cordero. I don't know where you're getting the idea that he won't play until next year, he will miss the first 3 URC games at most, possibly only two if he doesn't make the match day squad for the last RC game. The Autumn Internationals do not clash with any of our fixtures.

Gavin is the most exciting prospect through the Connacht system since Robbie Henshaw, or possibly ever. Hard not to get excited. He has brothers in the Connacht u17s and u19s also.

Advertisement