Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options
1417418419420421423»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FtD v2

Yeah, I agree with that completely on Gavin. He looks to have virtually everything you want in a centre - great physical size and power, plenty of quickness and good footwork, great footballing instincts and handling ability, a bit of bite & aggression when carrying and in the tackle. He also stepped up as a second year U20 this year and seemed to show good maturity and leadership.

There were points late in the NZ game when he looked absolutely out of his feet tired (typically after a big carry) and yet he still kept popping up and looking for the ball and making impactful carries.

I don't particularly rate the outside backs on either of the last 2 U20s teams with the exception of McErlean last year and O'Connor this year (Treacy has looked good at times too), so Gavin would likely look even better in a scenario where he has more dangerous players around him taking away some of the defensive attention.

Connacht have some pretty tasty backs I think all of a sudden: I think Matthew Devine (if he can improve his pass) and Hugh Gavin look like future Irish internationals, obviously Mack and Bundee are already that, and Cathal Forde, Andrew Smith, Shayne Bolton and Shane Jennings have also all showed glimpses of real ability, plus Cordero looked lively enough at the end of last season. If Josh Ioane hits the ground running, they should be an exciting backline to watch.

Advertisement