Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Thornbury gave away one in the Edinburgh half for off feet, then Papali'i gave one for holding on which led to the try

Absolute madness from Connacht.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (just inside Edinburgh half around the 80 mark), it wasn't against Thornbury. His clear out was fine. It was actually really good.

The penalty was against the carrier for not releasing. Referee called "first man in" i.e. He was rewarding the jackal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was a great example of how allowing lineouts to played after the 80 minutes benefits the game. A few years ago those penalties would have been quick taps only and Connacht more than likely win that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Experience for next pressure time. No injuries. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭testtech05

Zzippy wrote: »

In real time I thought that warranted a 2nd look but it's actually much worse than I thought. Looks like he has his arm tucked in to his body and everything.

BTW Aungier is a real find, ball-carrying TH.
    Front 6 were good today IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    If it's the one I'm thinking of (just inside Edinburgh half around the 80 mark), it wasn't against Thornbury. His clear out was fine. It was actually really good.

The penalty was against the carrier for not releasing. Referee called "first man in" i.e. He was rewarding the jackal.

That makes more sense, looked like a good clean out in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

testtech05 wrote: »
    In real time I thought that warranted a 2nd look but it's actually much worse than I thought. Looks like he has his arm tucked in to his body and everything.

It's red card, *possibly* mitigated by Murray dipping as he's tackled, but only to yellow at best. Unbelievable the TMO didn't even check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It's red card, *possibly* mitigated by Murray dipping as he's tackled, but only to yellow at best. Unbelievable the TMO didn't even check it.

Yellow given he dropped fairly suddenly. Tackle would have been fine otherwise.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yellow given he dropped fairly suddenly. Tackle would have been fine otherwise.

"Tackle"?? His arm is tucked, he leads with the elbow and there's no attempt to wrap.

It's not a tackle, however high or low he makes contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht robbed a game at the death from Benetton a few weeks ago but they've probably thrown away at least 3 wins in the last few minutes of other games this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lot of very impressibe newbie outings despite a bad finish: Murray, SOB 3.0, Prendergast were all really good for their experience. McNulty off the bench has serious potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

"Tackle"?? His arm is tucked, he leads with the elbow and there's no attempt to wrap.

Yeah, it's a clear card anyway, based on last few weeks wouldn't be surprised if there's no citing for it though.

Very disappointing to lose like that, and a win would have been great for the mental fortitude, but it was always a big ask after the red.

On the signing list one surprised me, it's Matt Burke.
    Did'nt play at all, is he injured, is McAlister on too high money ?

Based on announcement
    4 options by position (with some covering 2 spots)

Position |1st | 2nd |3rd |4th
    LH Prop |Buckley |Duggan| M.Burke| McCoy/Ward
    Hooker |Heffernan |Delahunt| Tierney-Martin OR Murphy OR New guy | Adamson/E.deBuitlear
    TH Prop |Bealham | Aungier | McCoy | Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row |Dillane |Roux (TBC) |Dowling | Masterson
    n°5 2nd Row |Thornbury| Murray| Prendergast | Murray 2.0
    Blindside Flanker |SOB |E.Masterson |Prendergast | Boyle
    Openside Flanker |Butler |Oliver |S.Masterson | McCormark/Booth
    n°8 | Boyle | Butler |One of Mastersons| D.Byrne
    SH | Marmion | Blade |Reilly | Academy newcomer/Kerrins if back
    OH |Carty |NEW |Fitzgerald | Daly/C.Forde
    11| Wootton |Healy| McNulty| Kilgallen
    Inside Centre |Aki |Daly |Robb| Jennings
    Outside Centre |Farrell |Arnold | SOB 2.0/New (TBC) | Aki
    14 | O'Donnell |Sullivan|NEW| Porch
    15 | Porch |TOH|McNulty| Wootton

Stretched to minimum, especially for back-row (where we could hope D.Byrne/McCormavk/Booth to cover a few games as 20)

41 Senior, 22 forwads, 19 backs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote: »
    Based on announcement

Hooker |Heffernan |Delahunt| Tierney-Martin OR Murphy OR New guy | Adamson/E.deBuitlear

Stretched to minimum, especially for back-row (where we could hope D.Byrne/McCormavk/Booth to cover a few games as 20)

Given Friends comments when the usualy suspects talked about H byrne moving to Connacht for gametime I doubt there's a signing coming at OH that will be a clear second choice ahead of Fitz, at least initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I've only seen the gif, but I didn't see a leading elbow there. You cant really see the right arm, but the left makes some attempt to wrap. Maybe there's an angle I didn't see that shows something else but certainly on that gif I'd stand by what I said...

547068.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Based on announcement

Some leap having Ben O'Donnell as a first choice winger after 2 hours of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Wootton signed a two year deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Thought Niall Murray was very impressive on Saturday. Think he only took up rugby around 16, could turn into some player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭serfboard

Daly kicking it with a little more than a minute to play, madness
    To me, this was the pivotal moment in the game. When he did that, I thought, what the hell are you doing? Hold onto that ball, and we'd have won it.

But, watching Ireland yesterday, they also kicked the ball away in the last few minutes. I suppose the theory is that you make the oppostion play in their half, giving them less chance to score, and more chance for you to force a penalty.

However, maybe it's not something you do when you're a man down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Thought Niall Murray was very impressive on Saturday. Think he only took up rugby around 16, could turn into some player.
    Yeah he played basketball, soccer and gaelic before that. was looked at by Tadhg Kenneally for AFL combine etc as well.
    After just small number of games with Buccs, in school was into Connacht set up at 16s/17s

molloyjh wrote: »
    I've only seen the gif, but I didn't see a leading elbow there. You cant really see the right arm, but the left makes some attempt to wrap. Maybe there's an angle I didn't see that shows something else but certainly on that gif I'd stand by what I said...

It's obvious even from that gif that he's leading with the right shoulder, so having the left arm up is irrelevant. Hitting someone with a tucked shoulder is not mitigated by the other arm pretending to wrap. Unless you're Owen Farrell of course. But, seriously, if you think that's a tackle under the laws of the game, whatever... :rolleyes:

Yeah he played basketball, soccer and gaelic before that. was looked at by Tadhg Kenneally for AFL combine etc as well.
    After just small number of games with Buccs, in school was into Connacht set up at 16s/17s

Some rise in six years. Obviously outstanding athlete and looks to have a lot of the fundamentals nailed down too. Position Ireland are well stocked in obviously but already would be pretty surprised if he’s not capped at a minimum at some stage, injury etc allowing of course.

Some leap having Ben O'Donnell as a first choice winger after 2 hours of rugby.

he was signed for being 1st choice and he can

https://twitter.com/i/status/1371508280179179526

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Based on announcement

Pretty sure that first team wouldn't be able to start together anyway with BOD, Porch and Butler. According to Friend even though JB has been here over 3 years he doesn't count as IQ unless he is capped.

macslash wrote: »
    Pretty sure that first team wouldn't be able to start together anyway with BOD, Porch and Butler. According to Friend even though JB has been here over 3 years he doesn't count as IQ unless he is capped.

That’s really odd. I also didn’t realise there was a limit, presume from above there is a cap of 2 NIQs per team? Seems very stringent especially as IRFU obviously sanctions signings in first place.

Is this new? Fairly sure Fainga’a Butler and Godwin started together a fair few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

macslash wrote: »

JGP could start with Lowe and Fardy once he was eligible for Ireland a full year before he was capped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That’s really odd. I also didn’t realise there was a limit, presume from above there is a cap of 2 NIQs per team? Seems very stringent especially as IRFU obviously sanctions signings in first place.

Is this new? Fairly sure Fainga’a Butler and Godwin started together a fair few times.

It’s a league rule but there are quite a few exceptions based on nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

My son played with him. Don’t think he’s ever touched a basketball in his life. Played rugby from about 12/13 on but only moved from centre- second row at Connacht u17.. the same summer he started for Connacht u18s in the row and was in Irish camps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Pretty sure godwin was born in Zimbabwe, so could have been eligible through that

Advertisement