Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Zzippy wrote: »
    Letting the wrong coach go. Defence is where we need change.

Connacht aren't letting him go, only way Carolan was staying was if he took over from Friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It was mentioned a few weeks ago by Friend that some of the coaching ticket were moving on. I'm sad it is Carolan as out attack has been quite good. Best of luck to him he has been fantastic in all his appointments so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    We have lots of 6s 1 out and out 7 and no real 8 after Papalii leaves. Masterson Sr has the skillset and size but has lost the power after his knee injury. Boyle is fantastic but I think 6 suits him better.

Disagree on Boyle, think 8 has been far and away his most effective position (once his decision making improves, which it has and will continue to). He's absolutely terrorised some teams off the base of the scrum

Feck on Carolan... That's a loss I think

Bazzo wrote: »
    Disagree on Boyle, think 8 has been far and away his most effective position (once his decision making improves, which it has and will continue to). He's absolutely terrorised some scrums off the base of the scrum

Feck on Carolan... That's a loss I think

Ya Carolan is a big loss. If our attack is blunted in any way next season we could well drop down the league standings as I dont see our defence improving with the current setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It was mentioned a few weeks ago by Friend that some of the coaching ticket were moving on. I'm sad it is Carolan as out attack has been quite good. Best of luck to him he has been fantastic in all his appointments so far.

Yeah I remember that also, was hoping it was anyone bar Carolan. As well as coaching abilities, has a great eye for players. Best placed to take over head coach role given depth of his experience too. Disappointing but can’t blame him for thinking time right to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Shame about Carolan. I know there were rumours that Friend might be leaving and Carolan might have fancied the head coach job but reading the statement it seemed like he just wants to try something new and told them he was leaving before the season even started. In fairness he's been at Connacht his entire career so probably wants to expand his coaching CV. Think he might end up in England but who knows.

Would be surprised if he's not back as head coach in a few years time maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Muldoon/Carolan dream team in a couple years hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Jesus Christ someone please explain the difference between that red for Russell and the yellow in the Scarlets game, I'm lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Jesus Christ someone please explain the difference between that red for Russell and the yellow in the Scarlets game, I'm lost.

I was just thinking the same. If anything I think porch was hit a bit higher near the chin

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭tobdom

Russell's one could actually have arguably been deemed "upper chest", where as the one against Scarlets was stone wall neck/jaw...... As fantastic as rugby is for the clarity of quite technical laws, and respect of referees etc. it's not immune to frustratingly inconsistent refereeing

• Advertisement

You can be guaranteed Russell will get a ban for it too. The consistency is a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

testtech05 wrote: »
    I was just thinking the same. If anything I think porch was hit a bit higher near the chin

Is there a clip of this?

Bazzo wrote: »
    You can be guaranteed Russell will get a ban for it too. The consistency is a shambles.

Absolutely is, and I think it will become a problem. Offences you see reviewed by the two and penalised in game a are not looked at in game b. I await the time when this is used as a defence during a citation.

Is there a clip of this?

Sorry I don't have one but maybe one of the posters who are on Twitter or similar might be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is there a clip of this?

https://youtu.be/S3qzQJ2MGnY

The TMO reviews start around the 32 minute mark on that video, looks identical to Russell's incident and also the one called in the Leinster v Ulster game

https://youtu.be/S3qzQJ2MGnY

The TMO reviews start around the 32 minute mark on that video, looks identical to Russell's incident and also the one called in the Leinster v Ulster game

Wow. As carbon copy as you are likely to get. Russell can argue that his offense was only a yellow card and he would be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Wow. As carbon copy as you are likely to get. Russell can argue that his offense was only a yellow card and he would be right.

No, that's completely backwards.

The Russell red card was correct. The Scarlets guy got a yellow which was fortunate at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I doubt it, it was given as a red in two other games with identical points of contact and tacklers body position where the forearm made contact, was just a really poor call by the officials to talk it down to a yellow.

I doubt it, it was given as a red in two other games with identical points of contact and tacklers body position where the forearm made contact, was just a really poor call by the officials to talk it down to a yellow.

And the citing officer who subsequently declined to cite the offense.

Sorry, was not really being serious that he would use it as an argument. It was a poor effort at highlighting the inconsistencies of officiating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

My opinions on Connachts back row options.

6. Sob, E Masterson prendergast
    7. Butler Oliver
    8. Boyle S Masterson

Sob is the best out and out 6 but can’t keep fit. Masterson more suited to 6 now after the injury and prendergast looks a real player going forward.

I prefer Butler at 6 to 7, would like a more natural 7, if Leinster are getting rid of any. I like Oliver and he’ll be a decent squad player but don’t think he should be first choice. McCormack and Booth could potentially be long term options there. Also fairly obvious a big ball carrying 8 is needed to replace Abe.

Out of all of them I’d have Boyle as the first name down every week and would even consider making him club captain next season. Yes he made mistakes during last season but he is the long term candidate. Need a 7 or 8 coming in with butler filling in the opposite position that new player plays in.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Wegians89 wrote: »

7. Butler Oliver
    8. Boyle S Masterson

Sob is the best out and out 6 but can’t keep fit. Masterson more suited to 6 now after the injury and prendergast looks a real player going forward.

I prefer Butler at 6 to 7, would like a more natural 7, if Leinster are getting rid of any. I like Oliver and he’ll be a decent squad player but don’t think he should be first choice. McCormack and Booth could potentially be long term options there. Also fairly obvious a big ball carrying 8 is needed to replace Abe.

Out of all of them I’d have Boyle as the first name down every week and would even consider making him club captain next season. Yes he made mistakes during last season but he is the long term candidate. Need a 7 or 8 coming in with butler filling in the opposite position that new player plays in.

Agree with all of that. Boyle is my player of the season but he needs some help. The other back rows are decent but not sure they can step up to another level.

My first choice br would be 6sob, 7butler, 8Boyle with E Masterson on the bench.

A Jordi Murphy style 7 would work for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Just checked the gallagher premiership

Bristol 11 points clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Wegians89 wrote: »

7. Butler Oliver
    8. Boyle S Masterson

Abe is staying

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

d-gal wrote: »
    Abe is staying

Where did you hear that he is staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Let's muscle the pack vs English the most we can

Dowling 6
    Masterson (Sn or Jn, both have played there) 7 instead of Oliver
    Papa 20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

No Weise next if refs are consistents

d-gal wrote: »
    Abe is staying

Any update on this ?
    Speaking of 8s did Weise get cited ?

Any update on this ?
    Speaking of 8s did Weise get cited ?

Just saw a replay of the yellow he got on the premiership highlights from the weekend. He was very lucky to get away with a yellow for it but haven't heard of can't citing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Haven’t heard anything about papalii but it didn’t make sense that he was in last two fairly experimental squads if he was off unless literally no one else fit.

Hope it’s true anyway, he’s shown what he can do ball in hand, conditioning and tackle technique are both things that should be capable of improving.

Advertisement