Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Disappointed if there no new players but such a big change to the coaching ticket could have a huge impact of the right men come in

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Friend mentioned hopefully getting new singings over the line in a few weeks. Wasn't expecting new bodies in. Hopefully Roux and Papalii are staying.

Sorry but can you clarify this?

Did Friend mention getting New signings over the line in the next few weeks?

That's what I read in it but others seem to be reading the opposite.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

I could be wrong but we haven't really had a big name signing in 5 or 6 years.

Sure Copeland, Godwin, Butler, Boshoff, Fainga'a, etc were well established players and good signings. But none were big names like White, Muliaina, Clarke, Parks, etc.

Not an observation of signing quality btw, we have signed some quality players, just a note that that Connacht have ceased in this department a bit. (Probably not feasible or practical).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Sorry but can you clarify this?

Did Friend mention getting New signings over the line in the next few weeks?

That's what I read in it but others seem to be reading the opposite.
    Thanks

Yes my apologies if it was unclear. New signings hopefully done in the next few weeks from the article. Great news there. Not so great news losing Duffy too. As others have mentioned the wrong coach has left.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Yes my apologies if it was unclear. New signings hopefully done in the next few weeks from the article. Great news there. Not so great news losing Duffy too. As others have mentioned the wrong coach has left.

Where is this article from?

• Advertisement

Sure Copeland, Godwin, Butler, Boshoff, Fainga'a, etc were well established players and good signings. But none were big names like White, Muliaina, Clarke, Parks, etc.

Not an observation of signing quality btw, we have signed some quality players, just a note that that Connacht have ceased in this department a bit. (Probably not feasible or practical).

Sevu Reece would have been an incredible signing if it had happened

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

You’re quite right! I’d say that big-name signings are very much dictated by IRFU/Nucifora. Given the financial hit taken over the past year, I’d say for the next while that we’ll have to settle for lower-profile players- hopefully with huge potential. Fingers crossed!

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Where is this article from?

https://www.the42.ie/nigel-carolan-leave-connacht-5395978-Mar2021/
    Halfway down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Sevu Reece would have been an incredible signing if it had happened

Even at the time Sevu Reece wouldn't have been a big name signing, he hadn't played in SR yet, only for Waikato in the Mitre 10 for 2 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Between Carolan and Duffy I think the two of them had more than 50 years at Connacht?

I've been critical of some elements of our forwards play under Duffy but he did get some fellas to excel in others. I wish them both the very best and massive success in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thornbury, Carty and Wooton all in the Pro14 dream team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Is the leicester game on tv this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

testtech05 wrote: »
    Is the leicester game on tv this weekend?

Connacht tweeted the other day that it's on BT 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

b.gud wrote: »
    Connacht tweeted the other day that it's on BT 3

Great thanks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

lenny4545 wrote: »

Wilkins moving from Defence to attack. I would have thought these coaches were specialized in their area so not sure how I feel about that move unless its more common than I think.

Wonder if Muldoon is in line for the forward coach role? Can dream I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

lenny4545 wrote: »

Funny, I said on here that I'd like to see Wilkins given a different role but I wouldn't have thought it would be attack coach!

The good:

Happy we've hired a skills coach, don't believe we've had one since Dave Ellis?
    New defence coach. Don't know much about Tucker but he has a similar profile to Carolan when he took the attack coach role.

The bad:

Would rather we had a singularly focused defence coach
    Wilkins moving from defence to attack coach is unusual, can't recall seeing that happen before. Not seeing much in his CV to suggest he's more suited to that role but will of course give him the benefit of the doubt.

Think we need a real tough nut of a defence coach to come in from outside the province. All the coaches have been with Connacht for quite a while and to be frank I think the players might need someone to break their balls a bit, given the focus, consistency, and discipline issues that troubled us throughout this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

marley45 wrote: »
    Wilkins moving from Defence to attack. I would have thought these coaches were specialized in their area so not sure how I feel about that move unless its more common than I think.

Wonder if Muldoon is in line for the forward coach role? Can dream I suppose.

I think it is more common than you think. Jonny Bell went from defence coach at Gloucester to attack at Glasgow, if you coach defence you will spend a lot of time working out how to stop attacks so you should have an idea of what a good attack looks like.

Fair dues to Connacht in promoting their own coaches from within, gives hope to young irish coaches that opportunities may arise, after Duffy and Carolan leaving I was bemoaning the lack of Irish coaches at provinces.

No rumours of any incoming players at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers/status/1377938870541639682?s=19

Can't say I know enough about them to comment on the strength of the team. Biggest surprise for me is that Tigers have Harry Potter playing on the wing.

Be interesting to see if McPhillips has developed, always thought he looked good for Ireland underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Bazzo wrote: »

Can't say I know enough about them to comment on the strength of the team. Biggest surprise for me is that Tigers have Harry Potter playing on the wing.

Be interesting to see if McPhillips has developed, always thought he looked good for Ireland underage.

Ben Youngs has more caps than the rest of the XV. No Ford is a big one for us. That spiral bomb against Newcastle last week would have terrorised Porch.

Two debutant sub front rows as well

Beatable team. Connacht bench looks much better especially the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Looking at that Leicester team you would think their primary interest is top 4 in the premiership and the challenge cup is very secondary. Would be very disappointing not to see a Connacht win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

HON Connacht!!!

If I were to register a disappointment with Andy Friend it would be that while we are decent going forward, we are shocking going in the opposite direction

Looking forward to Young's vs Carty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Great break by SOB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

A lovely break and finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Fantastic break by SOB and great pace on Marmion to finish it, great start

Advertisement