Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Am I correct in saying that Buckley and Bealham were the only two players who started last weekend that also started in the 2016 Pro12 win.

I appreciate that all the other provinces have also rotated players, but I believe the difference between Connacht and the other provinces is when the game is a big game the big guns are rolled out.

In Connacht the team selections seem to be more performance based. And I believe that is a good thing. It makes Connacht more attractive to players who feel they are overlooked when the big games come along.

Hopefully Connacht will retain their Heineken cup place for next year. And as such they have an interesting profile for players who feel maybe they are not getting their opportunities.

I think if you look at Wooten, he is a perfect example of what is possible when moving to Connacht. He was invisible at Munster. He is very visible now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying that Buckley and Bealham were the only two players who started last weekend that also started in the 2016 Pro12 win.

I appreciate that all the other provinces have also rotated players, but I believe the difference between Connacht and the other provinces is when the game is a big game the big guns are rolled out.

In Connacht the team selections seem to be more performance based. And I believe that is a good thing. It makes Connacht more attractive to players who feel they are overlooked when the big games come along.

Hopefully Connacht will retain their Heineken cup place for next year. And as such they have an interesting profile for players who feel maybe they are not getting their opportunities.

I think if you look at Wooten, he is a perfect example of what is possible when moving to Connacht. He was invisible at Munster. He is very visible now

Buckley didn't start. Injured. Loughney did

Dillane marmion also are in that xv. Sob and heff came off the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Connacht had a fan webinar with the 1885 club members this evening.
    Nigel Carolan was on. He said there’s a chance either the ospreys or Dragons games could be moved to next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Anyone know why it's only a year extension? He seems to be doing a good job. He'd surely want better job security than that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

E mac wrote: »
    Anyone know why it's only a year extension? He seems to be doing a good job. He'd surely want better job security than that...

It doesn't say it's a 1 year extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Its a weirdly worded article though. "Extend his contract into next season" usually you'd read something like "hoping to tie down X with a 2-3 year contract"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

It's a carefully worded piece.
    Attempting to read between the lines - it sounds like Australia want to get him involved but IRFU/Connacht are looking to postpone the inevitable move home.
    e.g. Maybe they get to "keep him in the country beyond June". Carolan might take over at the end of next season

I hope we see Friend back again. Ideal person to be the next Irish head coach. Or Lancaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

When's Dan's contract up in Ulster? Surely we would look towards him?

(Obviously he may have no notion of leaving Ulster but still).

This could be well off the mark, but you hear occasionally that Carolan is happy in his role in the long long term, and not interested in jeopardising that. i.e. prefer to be involved in a role like his own for 15-20 years, than a head coach role for 3-6 year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

When's Dan's contract up in Ulster? Surely we would look towards him?

(Obviously he may have no notion of leaving Ulster but still).

This could be well off the mark, but you hear occasionally that Carolan is happy in his role in the long long term, and not interested in jeopardising that. i.e. prefer to be involved in a role like his own for 15-20 years, than a head coach role for 3-6 year period.

Dan’s just signed a two-year extension,unfortunately!

• Advertisement

Pro 14 have just confirmed our game with Ospreys will be Sunday 24th at 3pm.

Also in our pool scarlets are playing the blues next weekend too

https://twitter.com/PRO14Official/status/1350096935609397252

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Big weekend again next week. The right Results could put pressure right back on Munster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Been to many pro12/14 games. So I could take issue with the referee (don't mention my favorite referee). I think what upsets me the most is the lack of involvement by the linesman/ lines woman. There you standing in the Clan, and your in direct line with the lines person, and the infringement is so obvious. And it's not about one team or another. It's about fairness. How can a rugby game be fair if the right calls are not called. It's a huge frustration with the competence of how pro 14 games are run. As an example Ben Whitehouse is a joke at this stage. We need better referees and more importantly better assistants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Been to many pro12/14 games. So I could take issue with the referee (don't mention my favorite referee). I think what upsets me the most is the lack of involvement by the linesman/ lines woman. There you standing in the Clan, and your in direct line with the lines person, and the infringement is so obvious. And it's not about one team or another. It's about fairness. How can a rugby game be fair if the right calls are not called. It's a huge frustration with the competence of how pro 14 games are run. As an example Ben Whitehouse is a joke at this stage. We need better referees and more importantly better assistants.
    How do you know theyre not getting involved. You could theoretically see an infringement every tackle/ruck but most dont need to be penalised.

How would you get better refs and assistants?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I don’t think this is entirely accurate tbh. Wootton started a European semi-final ahead of Zebo, for example.

Since then, JVG came in and Conway’s form has been largely excellent. It’s pretty hard to argue Wootton should have been ahead of him or Earls since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

aloooof wrote: »
    I don’t think this is entirely accurate tbh. Wootton started a European semi-final ahead of Zebo, for example.

Since then, JVG came in and Conway’s form has been largely excellent. It’s pretty hard to argue Wootton should have been ahead of him or Earls since then.

But then you have Sweetman ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But then you have Sweetman ?

Who is now behind Shane Daly and struggles to get into the 23. My only point is I don't see how a player who started a European Semi-Final can be considered invisible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He spent most of his final season at Munster injured and was firmly bypassed by the time he came back. Munster got a surplus player off the books, Connacht got a starter and Wootton has played regularly. A win-win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I’d say we’re due a big injury update this week. Covid cases should have cleared up, hopefully no new cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Just saw some tweets about Sammy Arnold being out til April after having surgery on a chest muscle injury. Bundee unlikely to be available for the Ospreys. With Tom already out, options in the centre are starting to look a bit thin.

In other news, I was listening to the latest craggy podcast last night and the mentioned the possibility of us ending up in a challenge cup quarter final? I hadn't heard about that previously. Knock out european rugby would be nice, and you'd fancy our chances if we have a healthy squad. All covid permitting obviously.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

RonnieL wrote: »
    Just saw some tweets about Sammy Arnold being out til April after having surgery on a chest muscle injury. Bundee unlikely to be available for the Ospreys. With Tom already out, options in the centre are starting to look a bit thin.

In other news, I was listening to the latest craggy podcast last night and the mentioned the possibility of us ending up in a challenge cup quarter final? I hadn't heard about that previously. Knock out european rugby would be nice, and you'd fancy our chances if we have a healthy squad. All covid permitting obviously.

I think it would be a last 16 round rather than a QF as there is 8 teams set to qualify out of the challenge cup already if it was to go ahead. Either the 42 or the IT had the notional draw based on ranking, etc and under it we would have Treviso away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Daly's is out? I guess (and hope) you talk about TOM Farrell...

Robb out too...

Daly/SOB 2.0 would be ok, but if Daly's out, who will be 12...

buck /duggan
    heff /delahunt
    beal /aungier (if back, if not mccoy)
    dill /roux
    thornbury
    masterson /SOB (if passing HIA, if not s.masterson)
    butler
    boyle
    blade /marms
    carty
    daly
    sob 2.0
    sullivan /o'donnell (if back, if not healy)
    wootton
    porch

KBurke85 wrote: »

Well either Robb or Aki and we've got a highly competitive team on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Purist98

Would Shane Jennings be considered?

connachta wrote: »
    Daly's is out? I guess (and hope) you talk about TOM Farrell...

Robb out too...

Daly/SOB 2.0 would be ok, but if Daly's out, who will be 12...

Sorry, yes I meant Tom Farrell

freyners wrote: »
    I think it would be a last 16 round rather than a QF as there is 8 teams set to qualify out of the challenge cup already if it was to go ahead. Either the 42 or the IT had the notional draw based on ranking, etc and under it we would have Treviso away

Ah that makes more sense, and you'd take that draw, with a good chance of a favorable conditions to implement our preferred game plan. Getting slightly ahead of myself I know, but it's nice to day dream. Connacht for the double :D

PS: Here's the Irish Times piece I think you were referring to: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/european-cup/champions-cup-likely-to-go-straight-to-last-16-after-temporary-suspension-1.4455639

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Purist98 wrote: »
    Would Shane Jennings be considered?

I'd like to think so but there's no evidence to suggest he's on the radar for senior appearances just yet.

Advertisement