Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. Leicester were/are in dire straits financially. They had to release a huge number of players including first team regulars and bring in players who were fairly old, from lower leagues or target guys from teams that had a very uncertain future like the Cheetahs or Jaguares.

If Connacht couldn't outbid Leicester, the budget must be very grim.

Eh... Yeah? This is Connacht. The budget is always really tight. How many non bargain basement signings do we make? Especially now that the quality of the squad has improved across the board so the average wage has no doubt increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I wouldn't think so. Leicester were/are in dire straits financially. They had to release a huge number of players including first team regulars and bring in players who were fairly old, from lower leagues or target guys from teams that had a very uncertain future like the Cheetahs or Jaguares.

If Connacht couldn't outbid Leicester, the budget must be very grim.

He was a done deal and then the budgets got thrown out the window with COVID.

Yes Connacht's budgets are grim. We don’t have Boks, Wallabies or All Blacks. Bidding for players of Wiese calibre is as top end as it gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

After Thornbury I think Oliver has won the most turnovers for Connacht this season but I guess you’d expect that any half decent 7 to be well up there in turnovers won. He definitely hasn’t influenced general play as much as Fainga’a did.

Don’t think its’s been a bad season over all. Any time Connacht qualify for the Champions Cup they’ve done OK. In a normal season we would have been in the playoffs. The last few games have definitely taken a bit of a shine off it though.

Absolutely blessed to beat Benetton at the death after a poor performance.

Decent performance away to Munster. Narrow loss.

Blew a home game at the death against Edinburgh that they should have wrapped up well before then.

Brilliant first half against Scarlets and then completely fell apart defensively in the second.

Played some decent rugby against Leicester but also gifted them 20+ points with some mind boggling errors.

It’s the potential and the exciting attack that’s the killer about our lack of consistency since Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Bazzo wrote: »
    Eh... Yeah? This is Connacht. The budget is always really tight. How many non bargain basement signings do we make? Especially now that the quality of the squad has improved across the board so the average wage has no doubt increased.

I'm fully aware of Connacht's limitations financially. My point being that Leicester are pretty much in the same boat and potentially worse.

If they significantly outbid Connacht for Wiese, then I imagine they will have overpaid for him. He's a good player who was made to look a lot better the other night. He falls into the bracket/profile of many Connacht signings.

If, as Phil says, the IRFU killed it then that's fair enough and more owing to uncertainty in the financial outlook.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Wegians89 wrote: »
    A forwards coach with experience from the outside and an experienced winner of a back row would do a lot for the pack. A Ruddock type player would do a lot but that’s never happen

Ruddock has gone 30, his international days might behind him.... I think he would be great in Connacht for a few seasons...
    Connacht has issues in the back row... Generally we hold our own in most other areas with the odd squad depth problems...
    Back Row in the Pro 14 is generally very high... Nearly all the teams have back row with international experience... Compare the Connacht back row to the lowest string Leinster back row (Scott Penny, Max Deegan, Josh Murphy)... Seriously do we think we would get a player in Connacht to displaced them, Boyle might but very marginal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Looking at the Connacht squad there seems to be a lack of balance in the back row and back three. All the players I each of those areas are all very similar to each other.

If sob could stay fit he’d add a lot to the back row. 6 sob 7 butler 8 Boyle looks decent on paper. Still feel a top class 7 would add a lot there.

In the back three, you’ve got healy and wootton who are very similar. Porch, toh and Fitz are all similar players too at full back, mcnulty probably fits in there too. Getting a bigger lump of a right winger or someone defensively solid on the right wing could add a lot. Sullivan looked like he could be that player but don’t think he’s quick or agile enough for top level.

A back up ten to put pressure on Carty is the final piece I think Connacht are in dire need of. Similar competition to Marmion and blade would push Carty on a lot I feel.

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Ruddock has gone 30, his international days might behind him.... I think he would be great in Connacht for a few seasons...
    Connacht has issues in the back row... Generally we hold our own in most other areas with the odd squad depth problems...
    Back Row in the Pro 14 is generally very high... Nearly all the teams have back row with international experience... Compare the Connacht back row to the lowest string Leinster back row (Scott Penny, Max Deegan, Josh Murphy)... Seriously do we think we would get a player in Connacht to displaced them, Boyle might but very marginal...

I think someone like josh murphy would have an excellent career at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think someone like josh murphy would have an excellent career at Connacht.

He goes largely under the radar but is an excellent player. Very smart and a tough customer. He's a but loose at times in terms of discipline but that's something that should improve. His career is somewhat slipping past also given he's 26 now.

I would imagine that his medical career is a stumbling block to a move though.

He goes largely under the radar but is an excellent player. Very smart and a tough customer. He's a but loose at times in terms of discipline but that's something that should improve. His career is somewhat slipping past also given he's 26 now.

He finished college yet or still at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Still a student IIRC, but he has had a great season at Leinster with a lot of game time. The attrition levels have been such that even players who it was presumed would be marginalised have gotten plenty of action. Murphy is very good, but for now I'd be surprised if he's going anywhere. The same goes for the rest of Leinster's back rows.

Edited to add: Murphy is to sit his finals at UCD this summer:
    https://www.the42.ie/josh-murphy-medicine-leinster-5336240-Jan2021/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Where does the disparity in income between the provinces come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Where does the disparity in income between the provinces come from?

Gates and sponsorship presumably

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

salmocab wrote: »

Some provinces save a lot on salary costs through central contracts too. Historically Connacht received significantly lower support from IRFU, I'm not sure if that still applies. IRFU accounts are notoriously opaque.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zzippy wrote: »
    Some provinces save a lot on salary costs through central contracts too. Historically Connacht received significantly lower support from IRFU, I'm not sure if that still applies. IRFU accounts are notoriously opaque.

Although having centrally contracted players means having more players away with Ireland so needing a bigger squad anyway.

Looking at the Connacht squad there seems to be a lack of balance in the back row and back three. All the players I each of those areas are all very similar to each other.

If sob could stay fit he’d add a lot to the back row. 6 sob 7 butler 8 Boyle looks decent on paper. Still feel a top class 7 would add a lot there.

In the back three, you’ve got healy and wootton who are very similar. Porch, toh and Fitz are all similar players too at full back, mcnulty probably fits in there too. Getting a bigger lump of a right winger or someone defensively solid on the right wing could add a lot. Sullivan looked like he could be that player but don’t think he’s quick or agile enough for top level.

A back up ten to put pressure on Carty is the final piece I think Connacht are in dire need of. Similar competition to Marmion and blade would push Carty on a lot I feel.

I agree with you on Back Row... At 6 we lack a bruiser, Sean O'Brien is ours and he has injury problems we generally lack heft in the back row... We have no out and out 7 either...

Back three has served us well... Porch had a bad game... He was well over due to have one... Wooton made a very bad choice and got a great try... Matt Healy was fine.. We would like them better in defence (but so does every fan of every team in any league)

salmocab wrote: »

There is also payment for players for internationals...

Bundee had played so much for Ireland that by the time he got a central contract it made no difference to Connacht...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1379397304751374336

Boyle with another impressive performance(in a poor performance for the team).

I dunno why but I'm feeling far more optimistic about the team today than I should after the last few matches. Bring in a forwards coach who can instill a hard edge in our pack, a fresh pair of eyes on defence, and I really don't think we're far off being a good team. Tough tough ask ahead with the rainbow cup for us essentially being another set of interpros, but we often hear that teams improve most by playing against the best opponents, so I suppose we're fortunate in that regard.

Bazzo wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1379397304751374336

Boyle with another impressive performance(in a poor performance for the team).

I dunno why but I'm feeling far more optimistic about the team today than I should after the last few matches. Bring in a forwards coach who can instill a hard edge in our pack, a fresh pair of eyes on defence, and I really don't think we're far off being a good team. Tough tough ask ahead with the rainbow cup for us essentially being another set of interpros, but we often hear that teams improve most by playing against the best opponents, so I suppose we're fortunate in that regard.

Agreed. I'm quite optimistic too. Our attacking play has been fantastic lately, particularly set piece moves that bring the back line into play. Our transition from defence to attack has also been excellent. Turnover - quick ball - get the wide players involved = good field gains and often a score. We scored the most tries in our conference, but we also conceded more than anyone else bar Treviso.
    Our defence has been woeful but that can be improved. Our lineout, scrum and attacking maul is decent. Our maul defence is awful. Maybe the new coaches will improve those facets, maybe they won't. But the talent is there.

I think the difference between us moving forward and winning or losing those games we threw away this year is in the top two inches. Fitness, skill level, talent are all there. We lack the mental toughness to close out games. If there is one coach Andy Friend might be best advised to bring in, it mightn't be the worst thing in the world to appoint a sports psychologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Agreed. I'm quite optimistic too. Our attacking play has been fantastic lately, particularly set piece moves that bring the back line into play. Our transition from defence to attack has also been excellent. Turnover - quick ball - get the wide players involved = good field gains and often a score. We scored the most tries in our conference, but we also conceded more than anyone else bar Treviso.
    Our defence has been woeful but that can be improved. Our lineout, scrum and attacking maul is decent. Our maul defence is awful. Maybe the new coaches will improve those facets, maybe they won't. But the talent is there.

I think the difference between us moving forward and winning or losing those games we threw away this year is in the top two inches. Fitness, skill level, talent are all there. We lack the mental toughness to close out games. If there is one coach Andy Friend might be best advised to bring in, it mightn't be the worst thing in the world to appoint a sports psychologistt.

He already has. Jack Birthwhistle has been there all season as a performance coach

KBurke85 wrote: »
    He already has. Jack Birthwhistle has been there all season as a performance coach

Oof. Well, maybe they should look at changing things up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Oof. Well, maybe they should look at changing things up there.

Bit harsh, he's been in the job 9 months. Our issues are probably a result of a wide variety of factors, I don't think the solution is as simple as sacking the mental skills coach.

Bit harsh, he's been in the job 9 months. Our issues are probably a result of a wide variety of factors, I don't think the solution is as simple as sacking the mental skills coach.

How many games have we lost this season that we really should have won? The Scarlets collapse was unforgivable. We seem unable to close out tight games (Munster), we lose from seemingly unassailable leads (Scarlets), we switch off and concede soft tries after scoring ourselves. If anything the mental resilience has got worse towards the end of the season. If he is a sports psychologist you would really be hoping to see an improvement in that aspect of the game by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

How many games have we lost this season that we really should have won? The Scarlets collapse was unforgivable. We seem unable to close out tight games (Munster), we lose from seemingly unassailable leads (Scarlets), we switch off and concede soft tries after scoring ourselves. If anything the mental resilience has got worse towards the end of the season. If he is a sports psychologist you would really be hoping to see an improvement in that aspect of the game by now.

Now you've got me thinking......could it be that he's a plant, working from the inside to undermine our progress towards total league domination? Hypnotizing the players to force mistakes at key moments. It all makes sense to me now......and if "Jack Birthwhistle" doesn't sound like a made up name, then I don't know what does. It's only a question of who's behind this fiendish plan. I'd personally be looking East for the culprits. Them letting us beat them in the RDS to throw us off the scent the final piece of the puzzle for me. You'd wonder how high up this goes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

These could just as easily be fitness/conditioning issues as mental issues

RonnieL wrote: »
    Now you've got me thinking......could it be that he's a plant, working from the inside to undermine our progress towards total league domination? Hypnotizing the players to force mistakes at key moments. It all makes sense to me now......and if "Jack Birthwhistle" doesn't sound like a made up name, then I don't know what does. It's only a question of who's behind this fiendish plan. I'd personally be looking East for the culprits. Them letting us beat them in the RDS to throw us off the scent the final piece of the puzzle for me. You'd wonder how high up this goes.....

Surely it’s the southern boys at it again. They were in the same conference and if connacht hadn’t thrown away so many silly wins, really could have put a lot of pressure on Munsters top spot in the conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's just the master plan!! Next season we will win the Champions Cup and Pro whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Eagles vs Leinster on Saturday, live on Connacht website, with Bundee we could hope if the game is meaningless for ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

https://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-eagles-team-named-for-leinster-a-friendly-at-the-sportsground/

Eagles team named. Quite a strong starting team most of the team would have played for the first team during the season

Papalii must be staying if he’s getting so much game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Papalii must be staying if he’s getting so much game time

I thought we would have had an update this week on signings/re-signings. Roux, Papalii and the new coach would give a lift after the poor showing last weekend.

Advertisement