Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Connacht Rugby is deeply saddened to hear of the death of Michael ‘Mick’ Grealish – one of our greatest friends and a true giant of rugby in our province.
    As a player and coach with 'club' he did it all including being player/coach and president for a league win in 74...
    Coached OLBC as well as Connacht Juniors.

Had been chair of various Connacht committee's and a former branch president.
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/mick-grealish-rip/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Agreed they are investing a lot of time if he was not being contracted again. Still think there is serious potential there.

Murray prendergast is a strong second row at eagles level. Given Murray's rapid development and the showings from prendergast this year you wouldn't be overly nervous of them as a pairing in certain pro14 games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Connacht Rugby is deeply saddened to hear of the death of Michael ‘Mick’ Grealish – one of our greatest friends and a true giant of rugby in our province.
    As a player and coach with 'club' he did it all including being player/coach and president for a league win in 74...
    Coached OLBC as well as Connacht Juniors.

Had been chair of various Connacht committee's and a former branch president.
    https://www.connachtrugby.ie/mick-grealish-rip/

Spoke with him many times in Crowes, Tonerys, etc. Absolute gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Used to go a fair few 'club' games when in college and he'd would always be good for a chat at them.

Ultimate gentlemen and rugby man

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

SOB 2 is injured too?
    If not, it means he's not resigned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Spent a huge amount of time at the Sportsground over the years and was a real father figure to a huge number of players. Hugely popular and a true gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

26 to 10 Connacht lead. Just caught the end of the second half. Decent enough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Big Papa lasted 80 :eek: Second row and fitzgerald very impressive. Duggan had a lovely ship-settling cameo too.

I saw 1 future captain on the field this afternoon : he's call Cian Prendergast
    He's the only one (except Papa) with the physicality, and he's the composure added.
    He's in the 23 next season IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Finished watching the stream

Murray prendergast Fitzgerald all stood out. Fitz really dictated the game well and had some really nice breaks but it must be highlighted that some of Leinster's defence from phase play looked shocking.

Murray and prendergast really imposed themselves. More I see of both the more I think we have a problem holding on to them all. We have serious depth at lock but also never seem to have all fit at the same time. Both need to be getting game time at pro level.

Papa good but it was slightly men against Boys physically so wouldn't have been as tired as a pro game. His passing from base of maul needs work. Reilly got nailed twice from loopy passes

Outside of that I thought Reilly ran some really nice support lines. McCormack and booth looked good. Back three looked good. Bod especially Rana great strike line for his try

Overall was disappointed with the quality of the Leinster team but understand they kept slot of their strength around the squad this week for prep for exeter. Still scored some good tries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

again was super impressed by Prendergast, i know Friend has said he is a 6 and played Lock today but I definitely think he has the power and pace to play at number 8, also can offload. Won't be far off 1st choice in senior squad in the next year or so

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/pro14/sharks-chief-confirms-rainbow-cup-set-to-be-canned-over-covid-19-concerns-81104152-1a9b-46db-a5db-57b786e5e7fc

Looks like rainbow cup is about to be cancelled! Probably means lions tour won't go ahead either!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

lenny4545 wrote: »

I’d wait for official word but it was always an unlikely to happen competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Andy Friend was on Newstalk last week, only heard interview over weekend. It wouldn’t fill you with confidence or it didn’t me anyway, expected him to be fairly disappointed with level of performance against Leicester. He just went on about how it was different style of rugby in premiership and difficult to play against etc.

Bar Ben Youngs it was pretty much Leicester seconds, not a team Connacht should be losing against.

Between that & defence coach promotion, hard to have a lot of confidence. Disappointing season, plenty of talent there especially younger lads coming through like Murray, Prendergast, but not sure the right ticket in coaching box.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Andy Friend was on Newstalk last week, only heard interview over weekend. It wouldn’t fill you with confidence or it didn’t me anyway, expected him to be fairly disappointed with level of performance against Leicester. He just went on about how it was different style of rugby in premiership and difficult to play against etc.

Bar Ben Youngs it was pretty much Leicester seconds, not a team Connacht should be losing against.

Between that & defence coach promotion, hard to have a lot of confidence. Disappointing season, plenty of talent there especially younger lads coming through like Murray, Prendergast, but not sure the right ticket in coaching box.

That's, again, the same simple thing : we need muscles and beef, and we don't have a clue vs English because of that

Papali'i have those but without technique, so it doesn't work fully

I'm really keen on Prendergast, Masterson Jr, and Donnacha Byrne to be more adapted profiles

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Last 3 games weren't acceptable, coaches need to fix the attitude and find some mental toughness and resolve. Nothing wrong with the odd 6-3 win lads. Doesn't all have to be 40 pointers.

You know there's something wrong when an academy player gets a start and you see in 40 minutes what's been missing from your back row all year.

Last 3 games weren't acceptable, coaches need to fix the attitude and find some mental toughness and resolve. Nothing wrong with the odd 6-3 win lads. Doesn't all have to be 40 pointers.

You know there's something wrong when an academy player gets a start and you see in 40 minutes what's been missing from your back row all year.

Who?
    Prendergast?

connachta wrote: »
    That's, again, the same simple thing : we need muscles and beef, and we don't have a clue vs English because of that

Papali'i have those but without technique, so it doesn't work fully

I'm really keen on Prendergast, Masterson Jr, and Donnacha Byrne to be more adapted profiles

That's not why Connacht lost. Wiese caused problems admittedly but ultimately the Connacht performance, particularly in terms of basic errors, especially defensively, was all over the shop and nowhere close to expectations.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That's not why Connacht lost. Wiese caused problems admittedly but ultimately the Connacht performance, particularly in terms of basic errors, especially defensively, was all over the shop and nowhere close to expectations.

Defence was an issue of course, strongly disagree though to sum up my point to Weise.

My point was we're unable to gain the advantage line in contact (and that's why I've had Racing performance as one of our best this season, even in defeat, because a "miracle" happened in this area).

You can look at the multiple phases in the end of the first half vs Leicester, this is when we lost that game, taking the 3 points admiting we were clearly not capable to score a try from 5-meters out, after scrums or lineouts, even rushed back outside the 22!!

On the opposite but identical phenomenon, we have no answer to defend our line. When this opposition is in the same situation (5 meters out) we conceed a try 99% of the time. Very few turnovers won. Same lack of power

That's the main problem. And that's not only technique, it's physical, we're too "light", not enough density

Defence was an issue of course, strongly disagree though to sum up my point to Weise.

My point was we're unable to gain the advantage line in contact (and that's why I've had Racing performance as one of our best this season, even in defeat, because a "miracle" happened in this area).

You can look at the multiple phases in the end of the first half vs Leicester, this is when we lost that game, taking the 3 points admiting we were clearly not capable to score a try from 5-meters out, after scrums or lineouts, even rushed back outside the 22!!

On the opposite but identical phenomenon, we have no answer to defend our line. When this opposition is in the same situation (5 meters out) we conceed a try 99% of the time. Very few turnovers won. Same lack of power

That's the main problem. And that's not only technique, it's physical, we're too "light", not enough density

Just to be clear I agree we could use more physicality in Connacht and in particular, the back row. Maul defence has obviously been a problem all season too. Attacking maul has been inconsistent.

But that is no excuse to lose to that Leicester side. And definitely no excuse to ship 50 points in doing so. I was being charitable when I described it as their seconds team, craggy rugby had BBC Leicester correspondent on their pod before the game, he described the team as a mix of their seconds and thirds! Shipping fifty points to that side is ridiculous.

I like Andy Friend on a personal level but him shrugging it off as being down to their style of rugby is ridiculous too, as is promotion of one coach whose area of expertise has been a calamity for two years.

• Advertisement

Max Deegan not renewed for now AFAIC
    Any chance we get him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Max Deegan not renewed for now AFAIC
    Any chance we get him?

That would be fantastic but would be very surprised if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Murray Kinsella reported that Deegan wants to stay at Leinster.

"Leinster have a remarkable depth chart of back rows at the moment and Max Deegan was seen as someone who could potentially shift provinces and make an impact, but he is understood to be very keen to stay where he is. So Munster looked abroad, with van Graan's South African contacts the first port of call."

I've read Deegan hopes to return in the next 1-2 months, which is great news.

Speaking of news on injuries, any update on Tom Farrell?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Zeugnis wrote: »

I was only wondering this during the week. Pro14 tweeted out highlights of our opening game vs Glasgow, and it reminded me of how much we miss him. First name on the team sheet for me when he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think we have missed Farrell an incredible amount, on both sides of the ball. Obviously everyone knows what he can do with ball in hand but IMHO his defensive work has improved massively since he signed and is vastly underrated. Our defensive system has always left us extremely vulnerable in the outside channels but he often papered over the cracks with great individual reads. Tom Daly is very abrasive but much more suited to 12, he's not as comfortable as Farrell defending on the outside or making reads on those double option plays in midfield that everyone and their dog runs. Sam Arnold is incredibly brave but made some awful decisions to shoot in the few games he played at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Murray Kinsella reported that Deegan wants to stay at Leinster.

"Leinster have a remarkable depth chart of back rows at the moment and Max Deegan was seen as someone who could potentially shift provinces and make an impact, but he is understood to be very keen to stay where he is. So Munster looked abroad, with van Graan's South African contacts the first port of call."

I've read Deegan hopes to return in the next 1-2 months, which is great news.

Out for the season he had a knee op a few months back

The lack of recruitment at Connacht is a pretty disheartening. Recent games make me think we need a player who can bring self-assurance and game management experience. Someone who is used to winning, and can help get the attitude right. Maybe this expectation is unrealistic.

I don't begrudge Munster the return of Zebo, his popularity among their fans is its own commercial justification. The Jenkins move looks wrong but they were due a replacement for Stander. Leinster have lost Bent so Alaalatoa is a fair trade. Meanwhile Connacht are rummaging around in the moneyball box, trying to discover overlooked diamonds, and with the exception of Porch, what have we to show for it?. I think we need a late-career high end forward ,with some winners medals in his pocket, who can help marshal the potential that exists in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The lack of recruitment at Connacht is a pretty disheartening. Recent games make me think we need a player who can bring self-assurance and game management experience. Someone who is used to winning, and can help get the attitude right. Maybe this expectation is unrealistic.

I don't begrudge Munster the return of Zebo, his popularity among their fans is its own commercial justification. The Jenkins move looks wrong but they were due a replacement for Stander. Leinster have lost Bent so Alaalatoa is a fair trade. Meanwhile Connacht are rummaging around in the moneyball box, trying to discover overlooked diamonds, and with the exception of Porch, what have we to show for it?. I think we need a late-career high end forward ,with some winners medals in his pocket, who can help marshal the potential that exists in the squad.

We need a Craig Clarke type signing. I know it didn't work out well with him but the idea was great. Leinster have done it with Elsom and Fardy and Thorn. Someone to drive standards and bring that bit of experience.
    Both Leinster and Munster get sponsored for these signings so unless the Connacht branch can get somebody on board I think the moneyball stuff will continue.

Yet it wasnt that long ago in another thread people were on about the IRFU using London Irish to increase our national teams playing pool.

Maybe the IRFU should invest in the 4th province before worrying about a 5th.
    Leinster given their size should be self sufficient, they could afford to pay their own central contracts.

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    We need a Craig Clarke type signing. I know it didn't work out well with him but the idea was great. Leinster have done it with Elsom and Fardy and Thorn. Someone to drive standards and bring that bit of experience.
    Both Leinster and Munster get sponsored for these signings so unless the Connacht branch can get somebody on board I think the moneyball stuff will continue.

It was Scott Fardy that I was thinking of as I wrote my post above. Unfortunately he's retiring and we're stacked at second row, But I really admire the composure he brings, must be a great mentor.

By sponsor, I assume you mean private donor rather than corporate sponsorship ? Do i have that wrong? The only player I recall being paid for privately at Leinster was JS at a certain point. I thought Fardy was paid for in the usual manner.

Advertisement