Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Yet it wasnt that long ago in another thread people were on about the IRFU using London Irish to increase our national teams playing pool.

Maybe the IRFU should invest in the 4th province before worrying about a 5th.
    Leinster given their size should be self sufficient, they could afford to pay their own central contracts.

I'd really like if there was more information about provincial budgets, there's definitely a sense of Connacht being the poor relation. Although given the support for the Sportsgrounds re-development (I know it's a different source...) we can't complain too much.

But I don't agree that Leinster should have to cover their own costs. Should they also get to manage their own television rights etc? We shouldn't go down that road. Leinster should not be punished for doing a good job. Connacht benefit enormously from their development pathway and will continue to do so, Aungier and Dowling in the last year alone.

If Connacht get their focus together and deliver more dependable performances they will become an option for others keen to get more minutes. But that won't happen if the inconsistency demonstrated at the tail end of the season persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Zeugnis wrote: »
    It was Scott Fardy that I was thinking of as I wrote my post above. Unfortunately he's retiring and we're stacked at second row, But I really admire the composure he brings, must be a great mentor.

By sponsor, I assume you mean private donor rather than corporate sponsorship ? Do i have that wrong? The only player I recall being paid for privately at Leinster was JS at a certain point. I thought Fardy was paid for in the usual manner.

Think your right on Sexton, apparently Munster got sponsorship for DDA and Snyman. Not sure there have been many others brought in on similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It was Scott Fardy that I was thinking of as I wrote my post above. Unfortunately he's retiring and we're stacked at second row, But I really admire the composure he brings, must be a great mentor.

By sponsor, I assume you mean private donor rather than corporate sponsorship ? Do i have that wrong? The only player I recall being paid for privately at Leinster was JS at a certain point. I thought Fardy was paid for in the usual manner.

Yes private donor not sponsor. Let's get a nice begging letter to the Comer brother's for a couple of marquee signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

If Connacht get their focus together and deliver more dependable performances they will become an option for others keen to get more minutes. But that won't happen if the inconsistency demonstrated at the tail end of the season persists.

Chicken and egg, will the consistency come with increased funding or will more consistency earn increased funding? I'd think the former is the easier path.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

So everbody think there won't be any signing?
    Even last year during covid we have had one "reputed' guy (O'Donnell)
    I hope at least the same...

• Advertisement

I suppose we will get an injury update tomorrow. Do we go all out for the Rainbow cup or do we go experimental ? It's a long time since any update from the branch. I know there hasn't been a game for a couple of weeks but the updates are very scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would expect a few signings, 1/2 from other provinces not getting sufficient game time and one from abroad. Just a guess but given Friend said something about signings being worked on would be very surprised if none were made. Might as well go all out for Rainbow cup I think, give Murray, Prendergast and maybe 1/2 others game time but generally playing full teams. I don't get the lack of updates either, thought it was GDPR related but other provinces still seem to be doing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

My team for Ulster
    Duggan Heffernan McCoy
    Dillane thornberry
    Dowling Oliver
    s Masterson
    Blade carty
    Wooton
    Daly sob
    Sullivan
    Toh

McAllister
    TMartin
    Bealham
    Murray
    Prendergast
    Bod
    McNulty
    Reilly

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would expect a few signings, 1/2 from other provinces not getting sufficient game time and one from abroad. Just a guess but given Friend said something about signings being worked on would be very surprised if none were made. Might as well go all out for Rainbow cup I think, give Murray, Prendergast and maybe 1/2 others game time but generally playing full teams. I don't get the lack of updates either, thought it was GDPR related but other provinces still seem to be doing them.

O'Donnell and Papali'i's signings were only announced in July last year, so it's more than possible that there is still something to come. I would like to see a prop, as I haven't been fully convinced of our veterans in that regard. Duggan and Aungier have shown well, and I'm a bit surprised that Robertson-McCoy isn't getting more first team rugby, think he's improved a lot.

If the rumours are to be believed they tried to recruit Hawkshaw but he turned it down, no big surprise given Leinster offered him his first full contract. But based on that we're looking for another 10. Munster are pretty stacked in the back three now, perhaps Daly or Haley should move to Connacht? ;)

I'm sure there has been some attempt to plunder Leinster's back row stock as well. If Friend is not doing that, he's not doing his job. I was previously dismissive about the possibility of recruiting Josh Murphy, but that might have been premature. If he could work out a position at University Hospital Galway... after all Deegan, Leavy, Doris and Connors could all be back by September, so the bottleneck will look pretty jammed.

There was an article on the 42 earlier about Quinn Roux and the headline said that Connacht were hopeful of holding onto him. It has since been taken down. Did anybody get a look at it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    There was an article on the 42 earlier about Quinn Roux and the headline said that Connacht were hopeful of holding onto him. It has since been taken down. Did anybody get a look at it ?

Friend said they wanted to keep him and hoped to have an answer in the next few weeks.

Also said he’s still injured, Bundee is suspended and butlers suspension is over but he’s struggling to be fit this week

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Friend said they wanted to keep him and hoped to have an answer in the next few weeks.

Also said he’s still injured, Bundee is suspended and butlers suspension is over but he’s struggling to be fit this week

Thanks. That doesn't fill me with confidence. Same thing was said with Faingaa.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

It's back up:
    https://www.the42.ie/connacht-quinn-roux-contract-negotiations-5414254-Apr2021/

My team for Ulster
    Duggan Heffernan McCoy
    Dillane thornberry
    Dowling Oliver
    s Masterson
    Blade carty
    Wooton
    Daly sob
    Sullivan
    Toh

McAllister
    TMartin
    Bealham
    Murray
    Prendergast
    Bod
    McNulty
    Reilly

Buckler and Bealham need a 2nd chance. Reset

McAlister is let go imo, won't bench ahead of Duggan/Burke

100% agree with Masterson Jn but as 7, Murray/Prendergast + DTM on the bench

Maybe Kilgallen, Arnold if fit, instead of McNulty to cover centre

Would hope SOB, still.. Dowling if not, yes

Marmion 21 and Boyle 8 will play for sure

I’d go with something like:

Duggan
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Murray
    Prendergast
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Sob
    Porch
    Mcnulty

Heff
    Buckley
    Aungier
    Dowling
    Sean masterson
    Reilly
    Fitz
    Kilgallen

will this game even go ahead?

will this game even go ahead?

Plan is to proceed without the South Africans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Wegians89 wrote: »
    I’d go with something like:

Duggan
    Delahunt
    Bealham
    Dillane
    Murray
    Prendergast
    Oliver
    Boyle
    Marmion
    Carty
    Wootton
    Daly
    Sob
    Porch
    Mcnulty

Heff
    Buckley
    Aungier
    Dowling
    Sean masterson
    Reilly
    Fitz
    Kilgallen

Nice team. I would go a step further with the youth and start Reilly, and also get DTM some minutes off the bench. I wonder would we be better off easing McNulty in on the wing and keep Porch or O'Halloran at fullback, he has struggled at 15 any time I've seen him in adult rugby.

Nice team. I would go a step further with the youth and start Reilly, and also get DTM some minutes off the bench. I wonder would we be better off easing McNulty in on the wing and keep Porch or O'Halloran at fullback, he has struggled at 15 any time I've seen him in adult rugby.

FFS some consider this as meaningless but it's not A games

play full-and-best team (except those not retained)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

connachta wrote: »
    FFS some consider this as meaningless but it's not A games

play full-and-best team (except those not retained)

In fairness it is meaningless, doesn’t count for anything beyond playing some matches for contractual reasons. Coaches will all do what suits them now whether it’s giving guys a run to make a decision or to try things out for next season, Leinster and Ulster will have an eye on actual upcoming competitive games. It was always a fairly unlikely to happen competition to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Some news, probably a signing/contract extension, coming at 4

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1384881052779302915

Connacht tweeted 4pm surprise. Hoping for Quinn Roux renewal or signing. Hoping it’s not some dumb social media gimmick (to be fair Connacht don’t do much of that so doubt it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Mack Hansen signed from the Brumbies. Anyone have any info on him

Seems like a big strong lad with an eye for the try line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Guess that puts an end to the worries that no signings were coming in

Seems more of back three than ten. Some tweets recently that he was unlucky to miss out on Wallabies squad. Looks good signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Seems like a bit of a steal for us. Brumbies are a quality side and he's been in their front line squad this season. Iq is a massive bonus and the fact they have him down as ten cover is a signal to me as back three for us is prob not where we are in most need of signings

• Advertisement

Very excited about this signing. Irish qualified. Friend would have a good knowledge of players in Australia. Young and versatile.

Advertisement