Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

One other comment. I'd be very disappointed if Quinn doesn't re-sign. Not just because he brings that bit of mean that every team needs, but also because it was the first season I saw him really stepping up as a leader. I see him, Thornbury and Boyle as a key triumvirate in that respect.

But, if Quinn was to leave, the row would still be fine. This is surprising given all the trouble Connacht had there during last year's injury cluster-crisis. But since then Murray has come one for more, and quicker, than I expected. Dowling has proved an excellent recruit and I'd like to see a lot more of him, and Prendergast looks promising. Add them to the stalwarts Ultan and Gavin and I think this position is watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Good grief that try was stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Cooney made a hell of a tackle on Boyler tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Connacht have greeat offensive power

Two balls kicked dead in 12mins... you should be limiting that to 1 every few games tbh.

• Advertisement

Lovely work from Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That didn’t look double movement to me??

Surely should use video ref

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That looked a very poor decision by Brace. Blade never looked held there. I thought it looked a bit dodgy at first but the replay confirms it.

And from the clearance Ulster go up and score.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

ClanofLams wrote: »
    That didn’t look double movement to me??

Surely should use video ref

I think TMO would have been fair. Hit the ground, took a full roll and then reached out. I can see why it would be denied but surprised Brace didn't want to look at it again and get clarity.

Could/Should we not have used the coaches challenge for that?
    Wasnt it for a scoring decision?.

Poor in game management again from Boyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Surprised no tmo check of the clearout on thornbury just before the ulster try too. Seemed to have been dropped on his head but there was no replay!

Could boyle have used the challenge for blades disallowed try?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Could/Should we not have used the coaches challenge for that?
    Wasnt it for a scoring decision?.

Poor in game management again from Boyle.

It’s a new rule the commentators didn’t even think of it until a minute ago which is presumably when you thought of it.

Hard to think of it in frantic game.

That decision on Blade has really swung the momentum of the game. Probably should have been 14-0.

Carty not having a good game. Loose kicks and missed a couple tackles.

Well the maul defence is no better in the Rainbow Cup anyway.

That decision on Blade has really swung the momentum of the game. Probably should have been 14-0.

Carty not having a good game. Loose kicks and missed a couple tackles.

Really under pressure since and it has paid off for ulster. Another maul try conceeded shame as thought we had defended the 1st couple well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

What have we done to piss in braces cornflakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Chips the ball on an advantage almost straight away and then Brace calls advantage OVER.????

OldRio wrote: »
    Chips the ball on an advantage almost straight away and then Brace calls advantage OVER.????

I understand the argument for kicking the ball away if ya kick it long but a little chip like that to be advantage over is crazy, are they trying to discourage lads from trying things

That Blade decision looks worse the more you see it.

That Blade decision looks worse the more you see it.

I thought the same at first I was thinking it was a close call but on the replays it's hard to see he was held

• Advertisement

testtech05 wrote: »
    I thought the same at first I was thinking it was a close call but on the replays it's hard to see he was held

It doesn't matter if he was held or a tackle was completed. He was on the ground. A player can't play the ball when he's off his feet. I imagine Brace made an allowance for momentum when Blade took the roll but reaching out thereafter was what caused the issue.

New season same **** defense :(

Buer wrote: »
    It doesn't matter if he was held or a tackle was completed. He was on the ground. A player can't play the ball when he's off his feet. I imagine Brace made an allowance for momentum when Blade took the roll but reaching out thereafter was what caused the issue.

Fair enough but I would have thought your allowed to place the ball or is the fact he rolled negate the placement?

Jacks had a bad start to the 2nd half but I think it's harsh enough to get the yellow after the try is scored. Id be all for it if they do it consistently but you rarely see it.

Papalii in fairness is looking a lot fitter than earlier in the season JOC obviously working hard with him

testtech05 wrote: »
    Fair enough but I would have thought your allowed to place the ball or is the fact he rolled negate the placement?

It's not really specified in the laws but a good referee will allow for common sense and a roll/momentum. I think the leeway was gone when he reached. The roll took that and reaching was playing the ball again. Surprising to see Brace rule instantly but I do believe the TMO would have come to the same conclusion.

Law:
    The game is played only by players who are on their feet.
    1. Players, who go to ground to gather the ball or who go to ground with the ball,
    must immediately:
    a. Get up with the ball; or
    b. Play (but not kick) the ball; or
    c. Release the ball.

PAPA AND BLADEY!!!!!! What a combo

That's a gorgeous scrum half try. Defence retreating at pace made it after AP carry off the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That was absolutely top class by Blade. Great carry off the back of the scrum by Papaili

Thought Daly took a high shot there in the phase before I Brien knocked on

• Advertisement

When was the last time Connacht won a yellow card period.. at least against decent opposition anyway.
    Must be a while back, Id guess we've lost more periods when we had an extra man never mind hold while down.

That 10mins was amazingly good given the last few months and opening 45mins.

Advertisement