Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

freyners wrote: »
    Has a good journey to go to usurp carty, who admittedly has gone off the ball since his display in the RDS. Friend has often gone without him on the bench using Daly as cover which isn't a ringing endorsement.

A poster mentioned it before that he is a player who usually plays better from start than off the bench, which I agree with, so was delighted to see his impact last night. His break was a lovely bit of deception with O'Brien but he held on to it a little too long and put it behind Marmion who did very well to get it. Still worked out but needs that extra ten % imo, also his kicking game needs more work, his kicking for territory on penalties and free kicks is excellent but in play he has a lot to learn from Jack (notwithstanding his kick for Sullivan's try)

My own thought from that game is that SOB 3.0 has played himself into a contract. Combative with ball in hand, good eye for a break and aggressive defense. Liking what I'm seeing. BOD and papa are worth trying down for a second year too

Very impressed with o brien

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

I'd gone right off Fitzgerald before last night, great impact. He'd had some shockers though in my opinion wimce a very bright start after he joined us. Jack's been fairly poor since Christmas as well which is a pity considering the Irish opportunities that were available in the spring so hopefully Fitz can kick on and out pressure on Jack. The Carty of 2019 makes us a totally different team IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Eagles game next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Should work to force their way to RWC (age at the competition time)

In 2023

Finlay Bealham (32)
    Dave Heffernan (30)
    Ultan Dillane (29)
    Gavin Thornbury (29)
    Quinn Roux (32)
    Caolin Blade (29)
    Kieran Marmion (31)
    Jack Carty (31)
    Bundee Aki (32)
    Alex Wootton (29)
    John Porch (29) With Australia

In 2027

Jordan Duggan (29)
    Jack Aungier (28)
    Oisin Dowling (30)
    Niall Murray (27)
    Darragh Murray (26)
    Paul Boyle (30)
    Cian Prendergast (27)
    Oisin McCormack (26)
    Colm Reilly (28)
    Mack Hansen (29)
    + 1 or 2 surprise of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Jaysus McFarland didn't sound half bitter in the post match presser "I thought the law variations were a good idea but it turns out they're a terrible idea"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Bazzo wrote: »
    Jaysus McFarland didn't sound half bitter in the post match presser "I thought the law variations were a good idea but it turns out they're a terrible idea"

I'd suspect that was probably a bit of a tongue in cheek comment with how the game ended tbh.

testtech05 wrote: »
    I'd suspect that was probably a bit of a tongue in cheek comment with how the game ended tbh.

Ah right, fair enough if it was. Although it certainly didn't sound like that from the clip on the craggy rugby podcast, could be an expert at the deadpan delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 craggyrugby

Ah right, fair enough if it was. Although it certainly didn't sound like that from the clip on the craggy rugby podcast, could be an expert at the deadpan delivery.

Unfortunately we couldn't show his deadpan face as he delivered that line which he follow with a quick flash of a Cheshire Cat grin - he was definitely saying it tongue fully in cheek

Watching the match back and Carty is such a confidence player. He actually didn't start badly, but a few kicks which were the right idea just didn't quite come off like they normally do and the head started to drop. Hopefully the win will give him a boost and he can get back to his best because if he's playing his best and the rest of the team are performing they'll be hard to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭serfboard

Carty is such a confidence player.
    I've always thought that about Carty - he certainly has the ability and the footballing brain, and can do things that other out-halfs can't.

Listening to Ronan O'Gara on OTB a couple of months ago and he said that for Carty to get more Ireland chances he needs to perform well consistently, and that has been a problem for him this year.

Hopefully next season will see a return to form for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Where can I find stats for Rainbow Cup matches, player performances etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zeugnis wrote: »
    Where can I find stats for Rainbow Cup matches, player performances etc?

https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics

And here are the player stats https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics/players

b.gud wrote: »
    And here are the player stats https://www.pro14.rugby/statistics/players
    Thanks.

Interesting to see that two of the players whose performances I admired also missed tackles: Duggan (2) and Oliver (3). I see that the page for Sean O'Brien's (the centre) points to SOB 2.0 (the flanker).

Thanks.

Interesting to see that two of the players whose performances I admired by also missed tackles: Duggan (2) and Oliver (3). I see that the page for Sean O'Brien's (the centre) points to SOB 2.0 (the flanker).

Ha if you go to the team page there are 2 different pictures of SOB 2.0 one in the back and one in the forward :)

https://www.pro14.rugby/clubs/connacht/players

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭GillLebowski

Thanks.

Interesting to see that two of the players whose performances I admired also missed tackles: Duggan (2) and Oliver (3). I see that the page for Sean O'Brien's (the centre) points to SOB 2.0 (the flanker).

I wouldn't read too much into the missed tackles with Connacht the way they play their defence. I think Bundee had one of the highest missed tackles in the Pro14 the year we won it? Connacht usually have a heap of missed tackles, but that's from just putting pressure on other team really.

I have to eat my words and say Conor Oliver actually played well. I still don't think he should've gotten an extension but he did play well the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I wouldn't read too much into the missed tackles with Connacht the way they play their defence. I think Bundee had one of the highest missed tackles in the Pro14 the year we won it? Connacht usually have a heap of missed tackles, but that's from just putting pressure on other team really.

I have to eat my words and say Conor Oliver actually played well. I still don't think he should've gotten an extension but he did play well the last day.

Why don't you think Oliver should have gotten an extension? Fair enough if you don't buy him as a starter but he is surely worth a spot as a squad player at least, has had a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On the 42 Rugby Weekly podcast, Murray Kinsella mentioned that a couple French clubs are sniffing around big Papa.

Not sure what I feel about that. Connacht have done a lot of work on Papa Leahy: he looks in good shape, can handle his minutes better, gets lower in the tackle, and is more careful in the carry. That must have been a lot of coaching. OTOH, his history of sanctions makes playing him a high-stakes bet. I'd like to think that with another summer to work on technique, he could make more progress. He has been a great asset as a carrier, and brings that destructive force that Connacht really lacked.

It must have been hard for him arriving last summer, presumably not knowing anyone, in a situation where the usual means of encountering people socially are much restricted. And then there were the suspensions. He did play league in France previously, so I guess he has a sense of what that move would entail. I'd like to see him stick around Connacht, watch him steamroll fellas in the Sportsgrounds in front of a roaring crowd, we can dream :)

Hope we hold on to Papali'i but I'm not surprised there's interest from French clubs. Would be a shame to have done all the hard work of identifying the talent, working on the conditioning and techniques to just lose him straight away.

I saw Friend saying his Mrs is still in New Zealand (who'd blame her) along with it being a hard enough year to settle in anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

If he stays the thread title has to change to Papa Leahy !!

Why don't you think Oliver should have gotten an extension? Fair enough if you don't buy him as a starter but he is surely worth a spot as a squad player at least, has had a good season.

I just can't warm to him at all. I've tried all season. He works his socks off that's for sure but I don't see what he brings ahead of either Masterson, Butler, Boyle, SOB 2.0, Papa and maybe Gallagher/Prendergast at blindside too (Considering we have Dillane, Roux, Thornbury and Murray already in second row). That's 7/8 players I'd maybe start ahead of him, definitely 6... Like I said earlier on the thread, it could just be me. I have no strong feelings about the guy at all so it's not that.

I'd just really like to see us get a real openside flanker who's an absolute pest at the breakdown too.

When you look at just opensides in Leinster you have Leavy, Van der Flier, Connors, Penny and Murphy. Surely even a short term deal for one of the last two, maybe even SOB 4.0 could be arranged until they find another somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I just can't warm to him at all. I've tried all season. He works his socks off that's for sure but I don't see what he brings ahead of either Masterson, Butler, Boyle, SOB 2.0, Papa and maybe Gallagher/Prendergast at blindside too (Considering we have Dillane, Roux, Thornbury and Murray already in second row). That's 7/8 players I'd maybe start ahead of him, definitely 6... Like I said earlier on the thread, it could just be me. I have no strong feelings about the guy at all so it's not that.

I'd just really like to see us get a real openside flanker who's an absolute pest at the breakdown too.

When you look at just opensides in Leinster you have Leavy, Van der Flier, Connors, Penny and Murphy. Surely even a short term deal for one of the last two, maybe even SOB 4.0 could be arranged until they find another somewhere.

Think that’s fairly harsh on Oliver. I don’t think Oliver was ever brought in to me first choice 7 and apart from Butler I’d have him ahead of the rest if you’re picking a 7. I do agree a first choice 7 is needed and shift Butler over to 6/8 though.

6. Sob,masterson snr, prendergast
    7. Butler, Oliver
    8. Boyle, papa, masterson jnr

Realistically no backrow will be signed and hope the likes of McCormack and booth will be step up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think Butler is having a patchy enough spell at 7 the last 6 or so months tbh (not saying he hasn't been an excellent signing). Don't get me wrong, some solid showings no doubt, but Oliver has made a big impact at 7.

Very tough to fill Faingaa's role in terms of carries from a 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I think Oliver does a decent job, hard working and a grafter however I'd have butler ahead of him even though it's not been his greatest season.

I'd like to see sob, butler, Boyle get a run when all are fit.

O'Brien has one more year left on his contract doesn't he? Hard to see it being renewed unless he manages a relatively injury free year to be honest.

Butler has had a mediocre few months but more or less 3 years of consistently good performances so I'm not worried about him.

I'd have either of the Mastersons at 7 before Oliver. Eoghan is actually a very decent 7, and usually breaks much quicker than him off the scrum, which has cost Connacht a lot of ground at times. Seán seems like he could be more of a 6/8 though. I'd argue Boyle is probably the best 7 we have even though it's not his natural position.

I'd like to see Old Masterson, Boyle, Butler, Papa and SOB 2.0 the main 5 when all fit with Masterson Jnr and the other young lads as rotations.

Somebody said Oliver has made a big impact at 7... Again, not trying to be facetious, but how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't understand what he adds apart from he works hard. Yeah, he works hard, great for the team, he's a grafter, blah blah... If we want to be winning anything or progressing we need to be getting good players, not just players that work hard...

I'd have either of the Mastersons at 7 before Oliver. Eoghan is actually a very decent 7, and usually breaks much quicker than him off the scrum, which has cost Connacht a lot of ground at times. Seán seems like he could be more of a 6/8 though. I'd argue Boyle is probably the best 7 we have even though it's not his natural position.

I'd like to see Old Masterson, Boyle, Butler, Papa and SOB 2.0 the main 5 when all fit with Masterson Jnr and the other young lads as rotations.

Somebody said Oliver has made a big impact at 7... Again, not trying to be facetious, but how do you come to that conclusion? I just don't understand what he adds apart from he works hard. Yeah, he works hard, great for the team, he's a grafter, blah blah... If we want to be winning anything or progressing we need to be getting good players, not just players that work hard...

Not easy for us to attract or afford the top level players though. Id say that when considering a renewal the big question is often can we get a better player not is the existing player good enough.

Sean Masterson has been given a couple of runs at 7 for the A team, think it's more likely we see him at 7 than Eoghan

O'Brien has one more year left on his contract doesn't he? Hard to see it being renewed unless he manages a relatively injury free year to be honest.

Butler has had a mediocre few months but more or less 3 years of consistently good performances so I'm not worried about him.

Agree on Sob but even in his couple of short cameos this year you can see the quality. He played a half when we were really struggling with maul defence and sacked the jumper twice early on and put the opposition off going to the maul for a bit. Hard carrier, great tackler and a big engine with a turnover threat.

Really hope he gets an injury free run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Papalii going would be a blow for me. There’s nobody else in the squad who is close to his carrying ability and it’s highly unlikely will be able to get anyone in who is close to it.

Think he is improving in terms of tackling too, it’s always gonna be tough for him because he’s such a big guy and the captains challenge from Ulster was definitely borderline but definitely going in the right direction and his fitness appears to be doing likewise.

General level of play seems to be improving, couple of nice passes from rucks against Ulster when the 9 wasn’t there.

Would really like to keep him.

Advertisement