Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

The strategy to give us fresh air by constantly crashing out n°8 (Boyle Butler or Papa) and 12 (Aki Robb or Daly) is so limited it has been targeted yesterday. Papa and Daly were involved and brave, but neutralised by 3 players on their backs any time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

connachta wrote: »
    Most were scornful but I stand for my point
    We need gym gym and gym again (+ arm-wrestle technique of course)
    It was boys vs men in contact. No gainline success. No ruck abilities. Simple as.

I was about to say, yes, we look as disjointed as within Bradley era.
    But we're letal in attack out wide, and that's a big big difference, explaining we're in a trouble era between disaster and genius.
    Pre-season will be a key to see the side of the coin where we fall

If spending all day in the gym made you great rugby players then the USA would be an absolute powerhouse. It's far too simplistic a view.

Bazzo wrote: »
    If spending all day in the gym made you great rugby players then the USA would be an absolute powerhouse. It's far too simplistic a view.

No, because Friend give us the handling abilities.
    No issue with this.We're good at it already
    We need organistion and physicality, like Lam had (with Muldoon and Muldowney and others we have still in our squad, better used) and has even more now in Bristol

No, because Friend give us the handling abilities.
    No issue with this.We're good at it already
    We need organistion and physicality, like Lam had (with Muldoon and Muldowney and others we have still in our squad, better used) and has even more now in Bristol

Ah right so you're saying you want to keep the current players, you just think they're not spending enough time in the gym?

You seriously think the S&C team aren't analysing these sorts of things into the ground??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Apart from maybe a freak like Porter I doubt the Connacht pack were not as strong as their Leinster opposite number give or take. It’s a coaching issue that won’t be solved in the gym.

• Advertisement

Ah right so you're saying you want to keep the current players, you just think they're not spending enough time in the gym?

You seriously think the S&C team aren't analysing these sorts of things into the ground??

I think it clearly doesn't work out for now. And it's not recent

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Roux leaving with be very bad news as he's one of the few genuine big lumps we have in the pack and probably no coincidence that our maul defence has got even worse in his absence.

Anyway hopefully he stays.

salmocab wrote: »
    Apart from maybe a freak like Porter I doubt the Connacht pack were not as strong as their Leinster opposite number give or take. It’s a coaching issue that won’t be solved in the gym.

Did we win collisions?

We did vs Racing and Ulster yes, but not vs the best (Leinster, Munster and Bristol)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Did we win collisions?

We did vs Racing and Ulster yes, but not vs the best (Leinster, Munster and Bristol)

They aren’t crash test dummies smashing straight into each other, technique is really important. The biggest player in the world will be dropped by a scrum half if he doesn’t know what he’s doing. You’ve decided they aren’t strong enough and seem to think that it’s the only issue. Connacht maul defence is appalling and if you think that can be fixed lifting weights you’re way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    They aren’t crash test dummies smashing straight into each other, technique is really important. The biggest player in the world will be dropped by a scrum half if he doesn’t know what he’s doing. You’ve decided they aren’t strong enough and seem to think that it’s the only issue. Connacht maul defence is appalling and if you think that can be fixed lifting weights you’re way off the mark.

Yep. There was a moment in the second half yesterday when Papali'i took the ball from the base of a scrum, got a head of steam going... And was felled with no trouble by Luke McGrath. He's a big unit but he's no rugby player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Yep. There was a moment in the second half yesterday when Papali'i took the ball from the base of a scrum, got a head of steam going... And was felled with no trouble by Luke McGrath. He's a big unit but he's no rugby player.

One trick pony at this point in his development but what a great trick !!!

I'd prioritize his fitness then teach him how to clear out a few rucks so he adds value both sides of the ball.

I think we might see his real value in tight games against similar standard teams next year. I'm a fan for now, took me a while to get over his lack of rugby nouse but glad we've retained his services.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If putting in big numbers at the gym determined success on the rugby pitch then Pierre Spies would be considered the greatest of all time. But for most of his career he was criticised for his lack of physicality.

Connacht's problem isn't it's S&C work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I believe Friend is out to sea. Connacht are poor and the play reflects on the coaching team. They're regressing and once in a while they perform well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I think it clearly doesn't work out for now. And it's not recent

Thats more likely to be poor technique then anything else.

I've said arm wrestle technique added to gym.

But certainly won't work without strenght. Porter is a freak you said. I want some.
    Especially if Roux's leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I believe Friend is out to sea. Connacht are poor and the play reflects on the coaching team. They're regressing and once in a while they perform well.

Is Friend not bringing in a new coaching ticket next season?

While I take your point he also bowled through lads for ****s and giggles regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

There’s far bigger issues than Papalli to focus on after last night. A 27 year old who has never played pro rugby.

The guy is a punt presumably at low cost. Returns are mixed so far but his impact has been impressive in terms of carrying and far exceeds any reasonable expectations. If the rest of his game improves great, if not a low cost punt hasn’t worked out.

Either way he hardly merits much criticism at this stage.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    There’s far bigger issues than Papalli to focus on after last night. A 27 year old who has never played pro rugby.

The guy is a punt presumably at low cost. Returns are mixed so far but his impact has been impressive in terms of carrying and far exceeds any reasonable expectations. If the rest of his game improves great, if not a low cost punt hasn’t worked out.

Either way he hardly merits much criticism at this stage.

Nah, if anything he was one of the few who put his hand up last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Nah, if anything he was one of the few who put his hand up last night.

I thought he worked his ass off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Big Papa might be very raw and an easy target for criticism but he's never let his head drop and gone hiding. At one stage Luke McGrath and 2 other Leinster lads minced him at the back of the scrum and he didn't go sulking. I'd argue he's shown more in a couple of games this year than stagnant lads like Butler, Heffernan and Buckley have in a good while.

Sean O'Brien was another who died with his boots on last night. If he goes I'll be sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'm sickened with Connacht at the moment. I had to turn the game off after 45 minutes, and that says it all. Every team in the league know that if they get a penalty, even if it's in their own half, they can just kick to touch, maul for a minute, get awarded another penalty, repeat, and score. Simple.

The players and coaches aren't thick, they know it more than anyone, and it must be so demoralizing for them too, especially since it's been going on for so long. It's possible that this one glaring weakness is actually affecting other areas of their game. That being the case, it's reasonable to expect that if they manage to repel a maul or two at the start of a game, the boost they get is likely to result in improvements elsewhere (like their defense generally). I know that's very amateur psychological stuff, but I'm really trying to find something to cling on to!

Hopefully the change in coaching setup for next season helps, but in the short term I feel we need either Ultan or Quinn in the starting team. And if Quinn is let leave (which I am resigned to at this point), then we need to find a big lump for the second row, or we'll continue to get pushed around.

Sean O'Brien was another who died with his boots on last night. If he goes I'll be sickened.

Sickened is a too big word. I wouldn't be, but yes we won't have a squad player better than him on low money, so except if there is an overbid by Ealing, we should offer him a developement contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Quinn Roux likely off to Toulon according to the 42. Connacht still trying but looking like he’s off to France.

Big blow considering how underpowered Connacht have looked up front in some recent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Quinn Roux likely off to Toulon according to the 42. Connacht still trying but looking like he’s off to France.

Big blow considering how underpowered Connacht have looked up front in some recent games.
    Confirmed by Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hard to blame Quinn for taking possibly last opportunity at big contract. Always served Connacht well, best of luck to him.

Sad day. I doubt he'll be replaced with anyone of similar quality and the areas we've been completely shown up in recently are his strengths, he's been sorely missed while out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That's a pity, he'll be a big loss for Connacht.

As said I think the guy conceeds too many pens, and could be replaced.
    But we have to choose well, and big. It won't be easy, he's a "test-match" player
    Good luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ersatz

leakyboots wrote: »
    That's a pity, he'll be a big loss for Connacht.

It's a significant loss for Ireland too.

Advertisement