Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Sad to hear he's leaving but he's been a fantastic servant since he signed on loan all those years back. Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now it's confirmed I cant post about the guy I'd chase

https://www.the42.ie/jack-regan-super-rugby-debut-5366000-Feb2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

connachta wrote: »
    Now it's confirmed I cant post about the guy I'd chase

https://www.the42.ie/jack-regan-super-rugby-debut-5366000-Feb2021/

Already signed with the osprey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

A real pity to lose him but I'm sure he's doing what he feels is best for his family. It's a short career he's undoubtedly keen to earn as much as he can while he's still in demand.

Hopefully the second rows who remain will see Quinn's departure as an opportunity to push on.

Already signed with the osprey's.

What about Sean O'Connor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Best of luck to him. I thought he really stepped up the last 3 years or so. He will be a big loss to both Connacht and Ireland.
    Also I doubt he will be replaced with Thornbury, Dillane, Murray, Dowling, Prendergast and of course Masterson Snr who can cover there.
    We could do with some sort of boost in a signing or something. I have a sinking feeling the wheels could come off the cart fairly soon if things don't change. Hopefully the new coaching appointments will do this but we will have to wait and see.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Best of luck to him. I thought he really stepped up the last 3 years or so. He will be a big loss to both Connacht and Ireland.
    Also I doubt he will be replaced with Thornbury, Dillane, Murray, Dowling, Prendergast and of course Masterson Snr who can cover there.
    We could do with some sort of boost in a signing or something. I have a sinking feeling the wheels could come off the cart fairly soon if things don't change. Hopefully the new coaching appointments will do this but we will have to wait and see.

He should have been on fair amount of money, and a contract was proposed (so budgeted).

I'm 99% sure he'll be replaced by a decent player, maybe NIQ, as only Porch and BOD are such

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

No, Friend confirmed in the press release that they are looking to bring someone in:
    We have already begun the process of recruiting a new second row and we will obviously make an announcement about that in due course.

I had heard Quinn was very well settled in Galway, and there's an interesting snippet here at the end of his statement
    Quinn Roux wrote:
    I will miss Galway, but we have a home here that we plan to return to and raise our children. I very much look forward to when that day comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

The guys you mentioned are all good players but completely different to Roux; mobile loosehead locks who are great in the lineout and around the park. We desperately need a nasty tighthead lock who smashes rucks, scrums, and eats mauls for breakfast. That sort of player doesn't come along too often in Ireland, we'll need to look abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I didn't realise Roux has only played 6 times since December 2019 for Connacht - that's nuts.

Can't begrudge a player going for (presumably) more money. Careers are short so he should maximise it.

Best of luck to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I didn't realise Roux has only played 6 times since December 2019 for Connacht - that's nuts.

Wow. That had to be a factor in contract negotiations, plus he's now the wrong side of 30.

Fair play to him, hope it works out in Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

There's a real problem here, Quinn Roux plays in a position of significant demand in Irish rugby and also the highest paid position internationally I think. We didn't offer him enough to stay but we think we can find a replacement ??? Don't make me laugh. International standard tight head locks out of contract at this stage of the season on no more than we offered Quinn I doubt it. Add a journeyman for numbers and give Murray and Dowling the game time.

Best luck Quinn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The second rows we have are good players but are all quite similar. We really miss Roux's sheer bulk and power when he's been unavailable which has been quite often lately. Our pack is probably a bit underpowered as it is against the better sides. Not easy to find a big physical second row like that especially as we won't be spending top money. South Africa is usually a good place to find big second rows. Maybe there is a hidden gem over there who hasn't been given a contract from one of the big South African sides.

Donnacha Ryan and Fardy for 1 yr?

Donnacha Ryan and Fardy for 1 yr?

Fardy has already confirmed he's retiring and has slowed down considerably this season. Ryan turns 38 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I'd take Ryan for a year in a heartbeat.

Complete aside: this reminds me of the time he was in the Clan Terrace on a stag night, drinking pints and being sound, dressed as a jockey. Imagine the poor horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

There's a real problem here, Quinn Roux plays in a position of significant demand in Irish rugby and also the highest paid position internationally I think. We didn't offer him enough to stay but we think we can find a replacement ??? Don't make me laugh. International standard tight head locks out of contract at this stage of the season on no more than we offered Quinn I doubt it. Add a journeyman for numbers and give Murray and Dowling the game time.

Best luck Quinn

I'm in complete agreement here, this is a troubling situation in terms of what it says about IRFU management.

Best of luck to Quinn in France. He became an Irish citizen in 2019 and it's good to hear that he and his family are keeping their home in Galway and plan to return in the future.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Fardy has already confirmed he's retiring and has slowed down considerably this season. Ryan turns 38 this year.

He was decent against us at the weekend and has a nice nasty edge to him that we are missing. Don't get me wrong I'd prefer a 30 year old fardy but where are they in our price bracket ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's hardly surprising that Roux would go and chase a cheque. Fair play to him! It's a short career and the players should maximize their earnings.
    There's nobody that I can think of that is as big as Roux that would be available. Of course, size isn't everything, but Connacht need to find someone. The current crop of locks are all fairly light and don't have the grunt that Roux provided.

Best luck Quinn

I've never heard of second row being the highest-paid position before, it's always out-half and tight-head you hear mentioned.

I'm sure the IRFU made him an offer but one that was a reduction on his current deal. In the current situation, they were simply never going to get into a bidding war with Toulon for a 30-year old who has been dogged by injury and is not an international regular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I've never heard of second row being the highest-paid position before, it's always out-half and tight-head you hear mentioned.

I'm sure the IRFU made him an offer but one that was a reduction on his current deal. In the current situation, they were simply never going to get into a bidding war with Toulon for a 30-year old who has been dogged by injury and is not an international regular.
    Report done every year has pro14 paying 2nd rows more for quite some time..

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/no10-now-the-best-paid-position-in-the-premiership-and-top-14-but-it-remains-tough-love-for-players-at-hooker-rugby-player-salaries/

Exactly the type of player Connacht desperately need, international quality, and by all accounts his preference was to stay put. I'm not sure a "bidding war" was necessary, and it may prove very foolish to have let him go. They're going to have to go to a limited market now with limited funds to try and replace like for like and the odds of getting someone of similar quality I would imagine are very slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Number 137

connachta wrote: »
    He should have been on fair amount of money, and a contract was proposed (so budgeted).

I'm 99% sure he'll be replaced by a decent player, maybe NIQ, as only Porch and BOD are such

Papali'i is an NIQ too.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Exactly the type of player Connacht desperately need, international quality, and by all accounts his preference was to stay put. I'm not sure a "bidding war" was necessary, and it may prove very foolish to have let him go. They're going to have to go to a limited market now with limited funds to try and replace like for like and the odds of getting someone of similar quality I would imagine are very slim.

I agree he's a big loss and will have to be replaced.

Unfortunately it just wasn't the right time to be negotiating a deal from a position of weakness, like Roux was.

30 is young for 2nd row. Bakkies Botha, Paul o connell, Brad thorn, toner, fardy, donnacha Ryan,

Quinn wasn't going anywhere until he was low balled on cash or length of contract. Market sets the value, you want the player pay the market rate. Makes no sense for Irish rugby to be importing niq locks while letting similar quality iq locks leave.

Cater, snyman, fardy, Jenkins.

I agree he's a big loss and will have to be replaced.

Unfortunately it just wasn't the right time to be negotiating a deal from a position of weakness, like Roux was.

Position of weakness? The opposite surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Roux was good. But i would think Connacht can find (or already have found) another NIQ TH Lock who will be just as good if not better.

Connacht badly need one.

Roux was good. But i would think Connacht can find (or already have found) another NIQ TH Lock who will be just as good if not better.

Connacht badly need one.

If they already have a better option why were they offering Roux a contract? I appreciate trying to move on and find a positive but that's clearly not the case here. Also Roux is IQ so replacing him with an NIQ who blocks dillane, thornberry, Murray, Dowling? Seems a little problematic no?

Position of weakness? The opposite surely.

Well, he's a valuable player but also turns 31 in a few months, hasn't played since January, wouldn't be in the international 23 with everyone fit and IRFU are not flush with cash at the moment.

I think the reality of contracts has shifted a lot in the last year and he's possibly been a victim of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

If they already have a better option why were they offering Roux a contract? I appreciate trying to move on and find a positive but that's clearly not the case here. Also Roux is IQ so replacing him with an NIQ who blocks dillane, thornberry, Murray, Dowling? Seems a little problematic no?

I don't think its a case that they have a better option. They clearly state they didn't want him to leave.

In fairness to Connacht and the IRFU budgets are lower the covid pandemic has caused a big hit. You can see it with loads of players only taking one year deals as the likelihood is they and the union expect to be able to negotiate better deals in a years time.

Some players were always going to end up leaving and unfortunately Quinn is one of those.

Its not necessarily anyone's fault. It's just one of those things

Advertisement