Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

If they already have a better option why were they offering Roux a contract? I appreciate trying to move on and find a positive but that's clearly not the case here. Also Roux is IQ so replacing him with an NIQ who blocks dillane, thornberry, Murray, Dowling? Seems a little problematic no?

I think they would have had to look at options going into the negotiations or very quickly after they realised what it would take to keep him.
    A balancing act.

The NIQ/5 year residency "block" is only an issue in my eyes if Connacht were to replace him with a player of less abilities than Roux or the other players.

Connacht need quality in the 2nd row and they need it now. Im sure they have done their due diligence on the market and player availability.
    IRFU should be backing them big time to go out and get real quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think they would have had to look at options going into the negotiations or very quickly after they realised what it would take to keep him.
    A balancing act.

The NIQ/5 year residency "block" is only an issue in my eyes if Connacht were to replace him with a player of less abilities than Roux or the other players.

Connacht need quality in the 2nd row and they need it now. Im sure they have done their due diligence on the market and player availability.
    IRFU should be backing them big time to go out and get real quality.

If the IRFU were "backing them big time" Roux would be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Who ever Connacht replace roux with, needs to be experienced. Some promising young lads already there, need someone to lead them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bazzo wrote: »
    If the IRFU were "backing them big time" Roux would be staying.

Yes.True!
    I did say "should". And i meant it to mean it should be their obligation.

IRFU (& Connacht btw) might have felt he wasn't worth the money and they have an alternative lined up.
    Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Well, he's a valuable player but also turns 31 in a few months, hasn't played since January, wouldn't be in the international 23 with everyone fit and IRFU are not flush with cash at the moment.

I think the reality of contracts has shifted a lot in the last year and he's possibly been a victim of that.

You said Roux was negotiating from a position of weakness? How ? He's in demand that's a position of strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You said Roux was negotiating from a position of weakness? How ? He's in demand that's a position of strength.

Umm, it's literally all in the post you just quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lebute

Would Donnacha Ryan be a good fit for one year ?
    Contact is up with Racing I believe.

Lebute wrote: »
    Would Donnacha Ryan be a good fit for one year ?
    Contact is up with Racing I believe.

I’d take him in a heart beat

Agree to disagree, I think what you listed are his strengths when it comes to negotiating apart from his injury profile. I'm just pissed we are losing him and can't see anything like a viable replacement. Nothing against your view point.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/connachts-green-light-to-sign-non-irish-roux-replacement-40411746.html

Friend says there's funding in place to bring in a "quality NIQ" to replace Roux. Says they're looking for a like for like replacement, and specifically mentions big unit who's good at attacking and defending maul.

I'll hold out hope they'll bring in a good replacement but I still think they'll really struggle to match Roux's quality.

Also mentioned that Healy was withdrawn with a jaw injury and Butler with a head knock(maybe that captain's challenge makes more sense now...)

• Advertisement

Looks like an niq lock coming in, can’t see then signing both an niq lock and loosehead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Pieter Steph du Toit would be nice 😉

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Looks like an niq lock coming in, can’t see then signing both an niq lock and loosehead

Don't think there was ever a loosehead coming in when they renewed Matthew Burke's contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Pieter Steph du Toit would be nice 😉

Etzebeth maybe

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

keeping Friends australian theme going... some possibilities:

Steve Cummins
    29yo. Aussie underage capped. Hard working, really niggly fcuker in the tight. Could be just what Connacht need

Sita Timani
    34yo. 18 test caps. Well travelled experienced. probably will retire at the end of the trans tasman though.

Darcy Swain
    23yo. Rangy skillful young lock. came through the brumbies academy with mack hansen.

Lukhan Salakaia-Loto
    24yo. already has 25 test caps, hard as nails lock / backrow. SR AU winner. If he wants a pay day for a couple of years why not connacht?

Is Bundee back this week?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Is Bundee back this week?

No next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

No next week

Christ I had it in my head he was back but forgot the Scarlets game was the same weekend as the England match (albeit a Monday)

Daly has a lot of games played but I imagine will start again as he's the best natural 12 we have bar aki. Interesting to see if they keep sob outside him given how well he is playing but is possibly not sticking around given Sammy is back

freyners wrote: »
    Christ I had it in my head he was back but forgot the Scarlets game was the same weekend as the England match (albeit a Monday)

Daly has a lot of games played but I imagine will start again as he's the best natural 12 we have bar aki. Interesting to see if they keep sob outside him given how well he is playing but is possibly not sticking around given Sammy is back

It's more the Eagles match didn't count for him I'm guessing because it was a ban at international level. Whereas it did for Butler

Now watch me be completely wrong this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Based on what I've seen this season, Sammy Arnold, like Robb, has been too direct and predictable, too much bosh. I know they've both been unlucky with injuries, but I think SOB has overtaken them both. Maybe he's just enjoying a lucky run, but right now I'd put him at 4 in the depth chart at centre after Bundee, Daly and Farrell (that's an alphabetical order not a ranking).

• Advertisement

Thinking about it now Jason Jenkins wouldn’t have been a bad signing for Connacht. Could see a situation where Connacht can only get a journey man signing this season and possibly look into Jenkins next season if he impresses down south.

Donncha Ryan for a year?

Zeugnis wrote: »
    Based on what I've seen this season, Sammy Arnold, like Robb, has been too direct and predictable, too much bosh. I know they've both been unlucky with injuries, but I think SOB has overtaken them both. Maybe he's just enjoying a lucky run, but right now I'd put him at 4 in the depth chart at centre after Bundee, Daly and Farrell (that's an alphabetical order not a ranking).

He was growing on me before injury, he was decent going forward but missed a few tackles in defence, plays like a man who thinks he's bigger. That's both a compliment and criticism :) Certainly committed and hard working.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

You'd say not high-enough-standard, but John Madigan is not under contract in 2 weeks, and has the heavy profile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS MUNSTER RUGBY
    Friday 14th May, Thomond Park, kick-off 6.00pm

Name/Number/Caps
    15. John Porch (38)
    14. Sammy Arnold (13)
    13. Sean O’Brien (Acad) (9)
    12. Tom Daly (46) (C)
    11. Alex Wootton (19)
    10. Conor Fitzgerald (34)
    9. Kieran Marmion (184)
    1. Paddy McAllister (16)
    2. Shane Delahunt (97)
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (65)
    4. Niall Murray (15)
    5. Ultan Dillane (111)
    6. Cian Prendergast (7)
    7. Conor Oliver (19)
    8. Abraham Papali’i (12)

Replacements
    16. Dave Heffernan (142)
    17. Denis Buckley (198)
    18. Finlay Bealham (157)
    19. Eoghan Masterson (109)
    20. Sean Masterson (11)
    21. Caolin Blade (129)
    22. Jack Carty (156)
    23. Peter Sullivan (14)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    You'd say not high-enough-standard, but John Madigan is not under contract in 2 weeks, and has the heavy profile

Honestly that's a good and quite realistic shout IMO. Obviously I'd prefer a top quality NIQ but unfortunately can't see it happening with Carter, Jenkins, and Snyman already on the island. Madigan never lacked ability, he just couldn't get fit. He has gotten plenty of gametime under his belt in France so it seems he has put those issues behind him. As you say he's a huge guy who has been playing in a very tough league so physicality should not be an issue. Of course all of this is based on supposition and so if there is someone who has actually seen him play in the past few years I will defer to their judgement.

To this weekend, loving the look of that backrow. Conor Oliver does too much carrying close to the ruck in certain back row configurations, but with two decent carrying options at 6 and 8 he should be free to operate in the outside channels where his lack of size shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately the second row combination is the opposite, despite the talent of the two lads, it's extremely unbalanced. Going back to the above point, I don't think the new lock necessarily has to be better than our current options, he has to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Strong bench named. McCallister has only played 16 games for us which is not a good return. Has he been mentioned in signings or is this his chance to play for a contract?
    Munster are looking for the win with the team they named. Could be a long day if we don't front up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Are Dowling and Thornbury carrying knocks?. Surprised we are going with Masterson snr as the row cover (although he was excellent there earlier in the year)

Are Dowling and Thornbury carrying knocks?. Surprised we are going with Masterson snr as the row cover (although he was excellent there earlier in the year)

Thornbury has played a huge amount of rugby, so could need a break. Dowling must have a knock though.

Excited to see prendergast at 6 with papalii at 8. Huge congrats to Daly on a brilliant season, which should be capped off with an Irish cap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Strong bench named. McCallister has only played 16 games for us which is not a good return. Has he been mentioned in signings or is this his chance to play for a contract?
    Munster are looking for the win with the team they named. Could be a long day if we don't front up.

Think we're crying out for a loosehead signing. Duggan is good but needs to work on his defence. Buckley is a Connacht legend but seems to be on the downswing, only 30 but has a huge number of miles on the clock. McAllister is decent but as you say we haven't gotten much out of him and it looks likely that he will leave at the end of the season. Burke is grand as backup but a good bit off interpro/Euro standard. Think there's definitely scope for an NIQ there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

Think we're crying out for a loosehead signing. Duggan is good but needs to work on his defence. Buckley is a Connacht legend but seems to be on the downswing, only 30 but has a huge number of miles on the clock. McAllister is decent but as you say we haven't gotten much out of him and it looks likely that he will leave at the end of the season. Burke is grand as backup but a good bit off interpro/Euro standard. Think there's definitely scope for an NIQ there.

As a Connacht fan it would be great to see an NIQ lh come in and give our pack some additional ballast. As an Ireland fan none of the provinces should be allowed sign an NIQ lh as it is by far our weakest position. Healy is great but coming to the end of his career and there is no real stand out option waiting in the wings to oust him so all the provinces need to step up with providing an option there

Advertisement