Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

b.gud wrote: »
    As a Connacht fan it would be great to see an NIQ lh come in and give our pack some additional ballast. As an Ireland fan none of the provinces should be allowed sign an NIQ lh as it is by far our weakest position. Healy is great but coming to the end of his career and there is no real stand out option waiting in the wings to oust him so all the provinces need to step up with providing an option there

The only Connacht loosehead who’d have any chance of being capped would be Duggan, an experienced niq could help him with his development

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Wegians89 wrote: »
    The only Connacht loosehead who’d have any chance of being capped would be Duggan, an experienced niq could help him with his development

We could do with bringing Parker back and have him on both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'd be surprised at an niq. Cronin and McAlister are both decent pro 14 standard lh's both look like they might be out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What's the story with Charlie Ryan, is he playing LH or TH these days?

NIQ lock
    IQ LH
    And SOB 2.0

that would be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What's the story with Charlie Ryan, is he playing LH or TH these days?

Assume you mean Charlie Ward.
    Was playing LH last id heard but like so many hasnt played in so long who knows what may happen now...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,697 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Assume you mean Charlie Ward.
    Was playing LH last id heard but like so many hasnt played in so long who knows what may happen now...

Ward yep sorry was getting confused with the lock in the leinster academy.

Was he involved with the eagles games at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Surprised by the 2nd row selection too, especially since I think they had Thornbury at the press conference earlier in the week? Maybe he picked up a knock. I'm sure he'd have been keen to play in this one to further his Ireland claims.

Regarding the Munster game in general, I'm not too hopeful, but I am excited to see Papa and CJ run into each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bealham is right of course but the Indo/the “journalist” love the controversy and subsequent clicks so better off leaving alone really. Though smart of Bealham to photo it rather than quote it for that reason presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Bealham is right of course but the Indo/the “journalist” love the controversy and subsequent clicks so better off leaving alone really. Though smart of Bealham to photo it rather than quote it for that reason presumably.

We don’t pay for journalism anymore so they have to pay the bills by having pieces like this. Pieces like this make it even less likely that we will pay for it. It’s a spiral to the bottom and most of us are culpable in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

People will never understand that giving any sort of spotlight, even just to publicly admonish people like Francis, is why they last so long. Bealham's heart is in the right place but it just brings more eyes to the article. It was the same with Katie Hopkins to give a more well-known troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

salmocab wrote: »
    We don’t pay for journalism anymore so they have to pay the bills by having pieces like this. Pieces like this make it even less likely that we will pay for it. It’s a spiral to the bottom and most of us are culpable in some way.

I pay for the IT, there are some articles I would pay for in the Indo but will never give them a red cent while Francis and Eww-an are given a platform in the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

I know it kind of contradicts my last post but I would be fully behind getting an experienced niq lh for Connacht but i don't buy the argument that it help his development. I just don't see any scenario where sitting in the sideline watching a guy play is going to help more than actually getting out on the field and playing. Yeah he might pass on some tips and wisdom on the training pitch but is that going to offset the lost minutes on the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

salmocab wrote: »

Funny after reading this post I found the below article on the 42 about Carolan's history at the club.
    'His office had pictures of everyone who had come through the Academy, he was very proud of those fellas' https://the42.ie/5425421

It's articles like this that make me happy to pay for the 42 membership even without the extras. Similar to what was said above I'd rather burn money than use it to support the Indo while Franno and McKenna are there (Not sure if Franno 2.0s podcast is still under them also but there's another reason)

I didin't know Butler is still NIQ though IE.
    That's stupid, but IRFU took that into account to allow us the NIQ lock

we're still in the old rule 3+2

NIQ lock
    BOD
    Porch

Butler and Papali'i technically project players

question is how many we could use on a same teamsheet?

freyners wrote: »
    Funny after reading this post I found the below article on the 42 about Carolan's history at the club.
    'His office had pictures of everyone who had come through the Academy, he was very proud of those fellas' https://the42.ie/5425421

It's articles like this that make me happy to pay for the 42 membership even without the extras. Similar to what was said above I'd rather burn money than use it to support the Indo while Franno and McKenna are there (Not sure if Franno 2.0s podcast is still under them also but there's another reason)

Great read. Seven academy players started Pro12 final in addition to Niyi who Carolan recommended, never heard that before actually. Huge figure in Connacht Rugby’s progression, expect to see him back as head coach in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Great read. Seven academy players started Pro12 final in addition to Niyi who Carolan recommended, never heard that before actually. Huge figure in Connacht Rugby’s progression, expect to see him back as head coach in the not too distant future.

Himself and Muldoon the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

I'm liking Daly as captain.

Niall Murray and Cian Prendergast, take a bow lads.

Plenty more deserving of praise too but those two give great hope for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

May have been a very mixed season but away wins at all 3 other provinces is very impressive. Congratulations!

How the **** did we manage to win all away interpros and capitulate the home ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Niall Murray and Cian Prendergast, take a bow lads.

Plenty more deserving of praise too but those two give great hope for the future.

Absolutely, definite potential internationals. That was a real star making performance from Prendergast, got through an outrageous amount of work. Think he'll start to get a bit more hype now. Could be our starting 6 by the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭theVersatile

freyners wrote: »
    How the **** did we manage to win all away interpros and capitulate the home ones

Technically lost in Thomond earlier in the year, but yeah weird one.

Technically lost in Thomond earlier in the year, but yeah weird one.

Even that loss (no technical about it) was a better performance that our home game

I thought Papali had a pretty effective game too, well targeted by Munster so no eye catching big runs but he was drawing in multiple Munster defenders every time and made some big hits in defence, one in particular that Jackman pointed out in the second half stopped Munster momentum in 22 and Connacht subsequently got penalty/turnover.

Conor Fitz very good for the most part. Marmion had a very very good game bar dumb penalty. Daly & O’Brien nice partnership, hopefully keep the latter as with Aki going on Lions probably won’t be available until October sometime. Buckley and Bealham really stabilised the scrum, good decision to bring them on when they did.

Need to establish a baseline level they don’t drop below, more consistent defence and maul defence, hopefully the new coaching set up can impact both. Haven’t performed consistently at all this season so hard to have massive confidence that will change but the squad doesn’t really look far off the level you would want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

**** me it's hard work bring a Connacht fan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    **** me it's hard work bring a Connacht fan

Thought we were going to get beaten out the gate since the teams were named. Absolutely delighted with the win but seriously we got pumped at home last week and then go away to Munster and beat them ! Great test for Papalii, Prendergast and Murray in the pack and they did well.

Tom Daly so lazy as a captain. Only made 18 tackles.
    And Prendergast a 20 y.o baby. Only 19 tackles
    Worse for Murray. 18

:D

We're grand

• Advertisement

Duggan
    Aungier
    Murray 1
    Murray 2
    Prendergast
    Boyle (33 is ok for a n°8)