Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

connachta wrote: »

Duggan
    Aungier
    Murray 1
    Murray 2
    Prendergast
    Boyle (33 is ok for a n°8)
    S.Masterson
    D.Byrne

Future? No bother!

Apart from that we had a cut in us tonight, haven’t seen it in a while, long overdue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The roller coaster of a season continues. Real resilience in this game and willingness to do the dirty work in defence that is often marked absent. Not really sure how we held on. Got very scrappy in the 2nd half but Munster have only themselves to blame.

Hilarious to hear Stander blaming the referee for the defeat given that usually we have to stomach Frank Murphy being the man in the middle for this fixture. I'd be the first to criticise a referee if it went against us so tonight I have to acknowledge we probably got more than our fair share of that ref but I don't care, the shoe is on the other foot often enough and we have to suck it up.

In my lifetime I think we've won twice away to Munster, Leinster and Ulster and 3 of them 6 wins have been since the start of 2021 mixed in with the horrific displays against Leinster home, Leicester away, Scarlets 2nd half away, Ospreys home etc. We have a performance that makes you despair and then we pull a performance out of the hat when not expected.

We found a way to just about deal with their maul on most occasions and we were efficient in attack with the chances we got. Heroic defensive work at times mixed with Munster incompetence and one or two 50/50 refereeing decisions in our favour kept us in it.

Couple of weeks until Treviso and then Ospreys. Hopefully finish the season on a high. We are unlikely to make the final of this competition but its not overly important whether we do or don't but hopefully get two solid performances in the last two games to bring into next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tough on McAllister and Robertson-McCoy but no way Connacht win that only for Bealham and Buckley coming on right before half-time. The scrum was getting absolutely demolished but was back to being it's usual solid self for the 2nd half.

Would have been nice to have kept the ball better after half-time but we made some basic errors with some kicks going out on the full that kept gifting Munster territory and possession.

Amazing effort in defence though they way they kept chopping down ball carriers in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Delighted with that win. We rode our luck for sure in the second half, but overall I think we were good value for the win. Great to see Daly get a big win in his first game as captain. I felt sorry for the two props getting called ashore before half time, but McAllister is just back from a long layoff, and Robertson McCoy had some great moments outside of the scrum, so hopefully they don't let it affect them too much. Can't see us winning the thing, but we should be right up there. Consistency of intensity is what we need in the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Frankly, Munster made a big contribution to our win there. Two incredibly soft tries for Connacht, and errors by Munster at crucial moments, and what can one say about JOD's maniac behaviour with Papali’i to invalidate O'Mahony's try? Bizarro.

Still, Connacht have been unlucky all season, so it it was time the dice smiled on us. And we made a lot of our own luck.

One of the things that i enjoyed most was the decisiveness of Friend's substitutions of Dom RMc and MacAllister just before half-time. They had both performed well in the loose and collisions, but were being pasted in the scrum. Interestingly, Papali’i made good decisions and handled well to clean up at the back on several occasions when the scrum was under pressure. But the arrival of Buckley and Bealham steadied the ship immediately. I've been critical of Buckley of late, but thought he did very well tonight.

Not for the first time I felt the pack had a better shape with Delahunt starting, Heff was fine when he came on. Murray and Dillane were potent, two good footballers and the latter brought a lot of intensity. Prendergast was very game and incisive in the carry. Daly and SOB had another great outing together and contributed an unbelievable amount in defence. Hopefully the decision to start Arnold on the wing reflects a hint that O'Brien will be retained after all, strange to think that he's still technically an Academy player. Daly has been a regular source of revelations, and recently his tackles have become really dominant. A great night for him as Captain, he led by example. Marmion very good as well.

So a good evening, and a pick-me-up in a week when we learnt of Quinn Roux's departure. I'm sure he enjoyed this victory, it would be great see him in green again before he departs. In any case, all the best to him in his new adventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Totally brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Bazzo wrote: »
    **** me it's hard work bring a Connacht fan

Perfectly put Bazzo.

All the highs of beating the top teams in our league away from home in 2021 matched with astounding collapses from seemingly unbeatable leads.

There's a heck of a lot of potential in this squad though. Lads like Prendergast and Murray have made mistakes and not let them phase them.

Connacht pissing away that penalty late on, stopping a maul and then forcing a knock-on was huge mental fortitude we haven't seen enough of against a very strong Munster bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Not too far fetched to think Niall Murray would be in consideration for the Irish squad this summer if he was doing the same things in a blue jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Not too far fetched to think Niall Murray would be in consideration for the Irish squad this summer if he was doing the same things in a blue jersey

He's on the right road, but I expect Thornbury to be next to get the call up. Although he's a different type of lock to Quinn, he'll benefit from his departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Let Murray and Prendergast some time
    21 with that level is amazing, they have to be polished like diamond next seson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Murray looks a good prospect and for the first time since Muldowney he seems to be a good lineout option.

I don't think Roux is a big loss.
    His skills were very limited.
    With Dillane being a similar build he can fill the void. With Thornbury as well Connacht now have 3 good locks. Murray looks like he has full out a bit too.

If Connacht can sort their lineout maul defence that would be a big weakness taken out.

They could really do with a quality LH to back up Buckley and a quality 7 is badly needed too. The backrow is one of the weakest areas now especially with some players on short contracts.

I think Tom Daly has probably been Connacht's player of the year. He has been very consistent, does the right things and looks to be a good leader.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Wegians89 wrote: »

Fair point.

Do you reckon he'd be open to the move?

Zeugnis wrote: »
    He's on the right road, but I expect Thornbury to be next to get the call up. Although he's a different type of lock to Quinn, he'll benefit from his departure.

Should be two spots in the squad opening up, with roux leaving and Henderson going with the lions

Buer wrote: »
    Fair point.

Do you reckon he'd be open to the move?

Baird doing the other way, it's ok

Zeugnis wrote: »

Yeah let Murray/Prendergast grow, Thornbury 1st, with Dillane

Butler and Heff would miss out, TBH

Bealham 100%

Marms or Blade 1 may go. Carty might

Daly as a surprise.

Missed the match live and watching it on YouTube in bursts, about 20 minutes inbut so far Fitzgerald has been very impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is there any league team(minus the new Saffers) yet to be beaten in Andy Friend's tenure now? It feels like an age since we've beaten Scarlets.

Prendergast and Dowling have same height, same weight same carrrying abilities

Leinster fans see both as 6, with capacity to cover 5

With Masterson that's 3 of the kind

Papali'i / Boyle great for 8

Butler has to be trainned to play 7 only from now on and during preseason I think, and become 1st choice again there
    Oliver is a nice cover

S.Masterson will be 7/8 emergency cover

We're good to go with the new second row signing

Same for back-3

I'd still think after his 1st half disaster we could find better than McAllister for LH 3rd choice.
    But has to be IQ...
    I'd go shopping in Gloucester again, one of the 2 IQ LH there may be interested, either Conor Maguire or Bryan O'Connor

Position |1st | 2nd |3rd |4th
    LH Prop |Buckley |Duggan| M.Burke| McCoy/Ward or new (Unsure)
    Hooker |Heffernan |Delahunt| Tierney-Martin | Murphy
    TH Prop |Bealham | Aungier | McCoy | Kenny
    n°4 2nd Row |Dillane |NEW |Dowling | E.Masterson
    n°5 2nd Row |Thornbury| Murray| Prendergast | Murray 2.0
    Blindside Flanker |SOB |E.Masterson |Prendergast | Boyle
    Openside Flanker |Butler |Oliver |S.Masterson | McCormark/Booth
    n°8 | Boyle | Papali'i |S.Masterson| Butler
    SH | Marmion | Blade |Reilly | Academy newcomer/Kerrins if back
    OH |Carty |NEW Unsure |Fitzgerald | Daly/C.Forde
    11| Wootton |Healy| McNulty| Kilgallen
    Inside Centre |Aki |Daly |Robb| Jennings
    Outside Centre |Farrell |Arnold | SOB 2.0/New (TBC) | Aki
    14 | O'Donnell |Hansen| Sullivan| Porch
    15 | Porch |TOH|McNulty| Wootton

23 forwards, 19 backs

I'm afraid we finish on 42 with no LH or OH signed

Would be a minimun, with SOB re-signed at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Stephen Fitzgerald forced to retire. Gutted for the lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

freyners wrote: »

Very unfortunate. Must have had a horrible injury when you consider the likes of Masterson was able to get back from his that time.

He looked good for us in the games he had played and I had hoped even if he wasn't being kept on he might continue somewhere else.....

Best of luck to him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

freyners wrote: »

Brutal. I always liked Fitzgerald. Particularly from FB.
    Looking for silver linings at leas he is still of an age to have had a professional rugby career and can still prepare himself for a new career.

Touch of class about his statement
    "Lastly, I just want to thank everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. I’m extremely lucky to have amazing friends and family who have supported me. My family and girlfriend have been there for me more than they will ever realise and I just hope I’ve made them proud of what I’ve done.

"I look forward to being a fan and enjoying getting back in the stands with ye all soon.”

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/633969/limerick-s-stephen-fitzgerald-devastated-and-heartbroken-at-being-forced-to-retire-from-rugby.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Brutal. I always liked Fitzgerald. Particularly from FB.
    Looking for silver linings at leas he is still of an age to have had a professional rugby career and can still prepare himself for a new career.

Touch of class about his statement
    "Lastly, I just want to thank everyone who has helped me get to where I am today. I’m extremely lucky to have amazing friends and family who have supported me. My family and girlfriend have been there for me more than they will ever realise and I just hope I’ve made them proud of what I’ve done.

"I look forward to being a fan and enjoying getting back in the stands with ye all soon.”

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/sport/633969/limerick-s-stephen-fitzgerald-devastated-and-heartbroken-at-being-forced-to-retire-from-rugby.html

I ended up beside his family and girlfriend in the tent one night when he was being interviewed post match. They were very proud of him that night and are very nice people. It is tough, but he is right to say he has a good support network.

Hopefully he will have plenty of opportunity to be in the clan to watch his brother compete in european knockout games. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (31) - Signed contract in 2021
    Matthew Burke (24) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jordan Duggan (23) - Signed contract in 2021
    Paddy McAllister (32) - Signed contract in 2019

Charlie Ward (21) - Academy year 1

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Finlay Bealham (30) - Signed contract in 2021
    Conor Kenny (25) - Signed 1 year contract in 2020
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Dave Heffernan (30) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jonny Murphy (29) - Signed contract in 2021
    Dylan Tierney-Martin (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Declan Adamson (22) - Academy year 2
    Eoin De Buitléar (u21) - Academy year 1

Lock

Ultan Dillane (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Oisin Dowling (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Cillian Gallagher (24) - Signed contract in 2018
    Niall Murray (21) - Signed contract in 2021
    Gavin Thornbury (27) - Signed contract in 2021

Darragh Murray (u21) - Academy year 1

Back row

Paul Boyle (24) - Signed contract in 2021
    Jarrad Butler (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Eoghan Masterson (28) - Signed contract in 2021
    Sean Masterson (23) - Signed contract in 2021
    Sean O'Brien (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Conor Oliver (25) - Signed contract in 2021
    Abraham Papali’i (28) - Signed contract in 2021
    Cian Prendergast (21) - Signed contract in 2021

Ciaran Booth (21) - Academy year 1
    Donnacha Byrne (u21) - Academy year 1
    Hubert Costello (u21) - Academy year 1
    Joshua Dunne (21) - Academy year 3
    Oisin McCormack (20) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Stephen Kerins (25) - Signed contract in 2019
    Kieran Marmion (29) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020
    Colm Reilly (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Outhalf

Jack Carty (29) - Signed contract in 2021
    Conor Dean (23) - Signed contract in 2020
    Conor Fitzgerald (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Cathal Forde (20) - Academy year 1

Centre

Bundee Aki (31) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020
    Sammy Arnold (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Daly (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Tom Farrell (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Peter Robb (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Shane Jennings (20) - Academy year 2
    Sean O'Brien (23) - Academy year 3

Back 3

Mack Hansen (23) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021
    Matt Healy (32) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    Oran McNulty (21) - Signed contract in 2021
    Ben O'Donnell (26) - Signed contract in 2020
    Tiernan O'Halloran (30) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020
    John Porch (27) - Signed contract in 2021
    Peter Sullivan (23) - Signed contract in 2021
    Alex Wootton (27) - Signed contract in 2021

Colm de Buitléar (23) - Academy year 3
    Diarmuid Kilgallen (21) - Academy year 1

IN: Mack Hansen (Back 3, Brumbies)
    OUT: Quinn Roux (Lock, TBC), Stephen Fitzgerald (Back 3, retiring)

*ages as at 01/09/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is there any reason you haven't included the number of years for players who confirmed it themselves on social media? For instance Carty and Porch both confirmed 1 year, Buckley 2. I'm sure there are others. Not meaning to sound like a hurler in the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

Just curious do you think Connacht would play a game in Sligo if the rovers were to upgrade the showgrounds in a few years. They plan to lenghten the pitch which would also achieve the criteria for rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

James Cronin would make a nice signing. Has done very well this season and has that bit of niggle and abrasiveness. If McCallister is going he would be a fantastic replacement. Marshall would have been worth a punt for a year too if DTM and Murphy had not re-signed. He looked sure to get a few ireland caps before he picked up a few injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Strand1970 wrote: »
    Just curious do you think Connacht would play a game in Sligo if the rovers were to upgrade the showgrounds in a few years. They plan to lenghten the pitch which would also achieve the criteria for rugby.

Yes it's Connacht Rugby not Galway rugby. Plus Sligo is a major contributor to the local talent pool.

But like in Munster they will be games of lesser significance.

Advertisement