Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Have to win the game first

If you score four tries, you probably win anyway.
    Win the game first makes more sense to me when the TBP is a bonus, not a necessity.

Connacht going for a try from a penalty under the posts was the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If you score four tries, you probably win anyway.
    Win the game first makes more sense to me when the TBP is a bonus, not a necessity.

Connacht going for a try from a penalty under the posts was the correct decision.

Kick three of the penalties in the first half go in ahead force Benetton to force it capitalise on mistakes get the TBP

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Up to this point I wasnt in favour of Friend leaving, but unless theres a rapid change something has to give.
    Kieran Keane was ran for less than what we saw this year and I'd take the second in the conference with a pinch of salt.

Ah now this is an absolutely mad statement. In Keane's one season in charge, Connacht almost finished bottom of their conference. Only barely finishing above Zebre because of bonus points.

Topped their group in the Challenge Cup alright but it was the Challenge Cup, not the Champions Cup. And then lost their quarter-final at home.

Ah now this is an absolutely mad statement. In Keane's one season in charge, Connacht almost finished bottom of their conference. Only barely finishing above Zebre because of bonus points.

Topped their group in the Challenge Cup alright but it was the Challenge Cup, not the Champions Cup. And then lost their quarter-final at home.

A lot of the losses that season were by a less than two scores.
    It was a similar pattern to the previous season in terms of wins and losses.

I'm not saying it was a good season, I'm making the point that people wanted him gone after that season, and I think the reason was his personality, he came across awful in a lot of the interviews.
    Friend has a lot of credit in the bank, but another season like this and the finger will point towards him.

Can you honestly say you ever saw a game where a team had a near winning margin after 15mins and were a beaten docket by the 30th minute?.
    That was one of those 'once in a lifetime' kind of turnarounds, but theres been more examples of similar this year than something impressive.

I dont think we were as bad as second bottom the season Keane was there, similarly to how we weren't that good being second this year.

But such are the margins in rugby, 20 points for anyone bar Leinster can swing on only a few plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Nice article in the IT about Shane O'Leary

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/have-boots-will-travel-shane-o-leary-enjoying-the-life-of-a-rugby-troubadour-1.4580055

Was a good pro for us. Particularly that stretch of games when Carty was out with his spleen and AJ picked up a knock, think he started in one of best wins we have ever had over Munster at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

freyners wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/have-boots-will-travel-shane-o-leary-enjoying-the-life-of-a-rugby-troubadour-1.4580055

Was a good pro for us. Particularly that stretch of games when Carty was out with his spleen and AJ picked up a knock, think he started in one of best wins we have ever had over Munster at home

There's a lot to be said for a lad like SO'L who wasn't as technically gifted as Carty or McGinty but used every inch of his ability to stand up when he was needed most.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

freyners wrote: »

Good article, thanks for sharing. If he weren't NIQ I'd take him back happily. Carty and Fitzgerald are obviously exciting players and very talented, but for certain games I think we'd be better served by an experienced pro who will kick their goals and make a minimal amount of errors. Was watching the Ospreys a while back, and while Stephen Myler is never going to set the world alight, he won them the game because he kicked well off the tee and didn't get intercepted/charged down/kick dead or out on the full/put kick offs straight to touch etc. It would be nice to have that option for ****ty games like Scarlets away in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Zeugnis wrote: »
    We all hope it goes well. Grenoble wanted to re-sign him, that in itself is a good sign. But it's obviously not a like for like replacement of Roux. If the rumours are confirmed and he goes to Toulon, well, you have everything you need to know. I am still baffled by the IRFU's thinking on Roux, it seems like a very wasteful attitude towards the whole project player concept and will ultimately deprive the Irish team of a selection option. But what's done is done.

If there is any fairness however, it will mean that there is money left to sign a loosehead prop. This was already an issue before Buckley got injured on Saturday. If the IRFU has the money to bring back Simon Zebo to Munster (despite it not being possible for that province to afford based on their own budget), then it can afford to provide Connacht with the basics.

With this Fifita guy (who looks a decent signing), Connacht will have four NIQs next season - Porch, O'Donnell, Papali'i and Fifita. Bringing in another would be a stretch I think, but maybe if Buckley is out long-term they can get temporary cover.

I don't see how Zebo is relevant given that he'll be an option for the Irish team too, but Munster have offloaded a LOT of guys this summer so I'd guess their overall wage bill will be well down next year.

IRFU were never going to get into a bidding war with Toulon for Roux, and they were dead right not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

With this Fifita guy (who looks a decent signing), Connacht will have four NIQs next season - Porch, O'Donnell, Papali'i and Fifita. Bringing in another would be a stretch I think, but maybe if Buckley is out long-term they can get temporary cover.

I don't see how Zebo is relevant given that he'll be an option for the Irish team too, but Munster have offloaded a LOT of guys this summer so I'd guess their overall wage bill will be well down next year.

IRFU were never going to get into a bidding war with Toulon for Roux, and they were dead right not to.

The issue with Munster isn't Zebo, it's the fact that they now have 9 contracted back 3 players. In fact their squad is quite unbalanced overall, they also have 9 contracted props but only 3 hookers (one of whom is fresh from the academy), and one outhalf who is not a first year pro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »

Fantastic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Good article, thanks for sharing. If he weren't NIQ I'd take him back happily. Carty and Fitzgerald are obviously exciting players and very talented, but for certain games I think we'd be better served by an experienced pro who will kick their goals and make a minimal amount of errors. Was watching the Ospreys a while back, and while Stephen Myler is never going to set the world alight, he won them the game because he kicked well off the tee and didn't get intercepted/charged down/kick dead or out on the full/put kick offs straight to touch etc. It would be nice to have that option for ****ty games like Scarlets away in December.

Though I agree with the gist of your post, my memories of O Leary are that he had a bit of madness in him and would try the risky pass/ kick when he got the chance. Best memory for me is the grenoble game ("The Matt Healy game") and some of O'Learys playmaking.

Then again any out half in a Pat Lam system probably looked like a maverick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

'The bottom line is that he needs to change his tackle technique' https://the42.ie/5454294

No more signings going by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

macslash wrote: »
    'The bottom line is that he needs to change his tackle technique' https://the42.ie/5454294

No more signings going by this.

Disappointing about the lack of signings, but understandable in the current climate.

Regarding Abraham, it sounds like Friend is losing patience. Do you think other teams would notice if he just stopped tackling altogether?! :D

RonnieL wrote: »
    Disappointing about the lack of signings, but understandable in the current climate.

Regarding Abraham, it sounds like Friend is losing patience. Do you think other teams would notice if he just stopped tackling altogether?! :D

Yes I'm sure the budgets are very tight so it's expected even though LH is very worrying. I'm really hoping the new forwards coach improves the props. Could we see Bealham move to LH with Aungier no 1 TH ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I think McCoy is 4th choice both sides
    Expecting Kenny able to be ok on the TH side, and 21-y-o Ward stepping up for LH

Such a shame about Buckley. If James Cronin is still available, Connacht should perhaps enquire.

Are we sure he's on the sideline for more than 4 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Buckley being out for a lengthy spell could be significant seeing how horrendous the Connacht scrum looked recently whenever himself and Bealham weren't on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Buckley being out for a lengthy spell could be significant seeing how horrendous the Connacht scrum looked recently whenever himself and Bealham weren't on the pitch.[/quote

Duggan has been good. Also McAlister was grand before injury, ahead of buckley for large parts of the season.

I wouldn't underestimate the loss of 2nd row power last two games. Both roux and thornberry missing is significant.

I'm not even slightly concerned with any of our lh options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

SOB 3.0 to Exeter confirmed he arrived there this week

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1400375217717977089

b.gud wrote: »
    SOB 3.0 to Exeter confirmed he arrived there this week

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1400375217717977089

Best of luck to him.

Not a fan of Wootton 15 but let's see

Where was Aungier? Months without seeing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

CONNACHT MATCHDAY 23 VS OSPREYS
    Friday 4th June, The Sportsground, kick-off 6.00pm

Name/Number/Caps
    15. Alex Wootton (21)
    14. Peter Sullivan (16)
    13. Bundee Aki (110)
    12. Tom Daly (48)
    11. Ben O’Donnell (5)
    10. Jack Carty (158)
    9. Caolin Blade (131)
    1. Jordan Duggan (12)
    2. Shane Delahunt (99)
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (67)
    4. Niall Murray (17)
    5. Ultan Dillane (113)
    6. Cian Prendergast
    7. Jarrad Butler (72) (C)
    8. Eoghan Masterson (110)

Replacements
    16. Jonny Murphy (15)
    17. Matthew Burke (22)
    18. Jack Aungier (13)
    19. Oisin Dowling (6)
    20. Sean Masterson (12)
    21. Kieran Marmion (186)
    22. Conor Fitzgerald (36)
    23. Sammy Arnold (15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

connachta wrote: »
    Not a fan of Wootton 15 but let's see

Where was Aungier? Months without seeing him!

I imagine he was injured

• Registered Users Posts: 21,694 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

KBurke85 wrote: »
    I imagine he was injured

Neck injury I think it was

Why so much trust in Sullivan who is not able te defend better than Wootton and has not his speed.
    Physicality?

Ospreys left out AWJ and Tipuric.

Connacht should win this, but they've been so up and down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Andrew Browne and Mark Sexton joining the academy coaching team

https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1400452927479717893?s=19

Advertisement