Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Great to close out the season with a win. A well deserved break now. We have a good squad for next year. Exciting to see prendergast, S. Masterson, Dowling, Murray, Aungier, Duggan and Reilly try to force themselves into our starting team added to 2 decent looking new recruits and hopefully a fully fit Farrell, Robb and Sean o Brien.

As ever targets will be Champions cup qualification, playoff in the league and being in contention on the last round of the group fixtures of the champions cup.

And a personal wish from me, 2 from 2 vrs Munster every year for eternity.

Duggan has been decent in the scrum and the carry but his tackle technique is a huge concern, it's woeful to be frank. After the first Ospreys try today Prendergast was visibly annoyed because he had chopped the carrier's legs obviously expecting the next man (Duggan) to go high but Duggan completely misjudged the contact and let them in for an easy try.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Duggan has been decent in the scrum and the carry but his tackle technique is a huge concern, it's woeful to be frank. After the first Ospreys try today Prendergast was visibly annoyed because he had chopped the carrier's legs obviously expecting the next man (Duggan) to go high but Duggan completely misjudged the contact and let them in for an easy try.
    Prendergast non-tackle is not admissible 5 meters from the line though...
    Cian is amazing otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Conor Kenny is off to Newcastle apparently

• Subscribers Posts: 41,638 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He was decent.
    Played 11, but is really a 15 that can stand in at 10 quite readily.

He had a couple of brainfart moments but overall he was quite good today. A big specimen for a 23 yo full back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Conor Kenny is off to Newcastle apparently

If Kenny is off surely another prop is coming in

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If Kenny is off surely another prop is coming in

The guy Kenny replaces in Newcastle :
    Rodney Ah You!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Blade has a lovely grubber kick, so precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The unluckiest player in Irish rugby - forced into retirement at just 25 https://the42.ie/5458682

Christ reading that you'd have a heart of stone not to feel for Stephen fitz. Hopefully the brother goes on to have a great career with us and we see him back in the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »

This seems odd with o Brien going, unless Sean felt he had to go

• Subscribers Posts: 41,638 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This seems odd with o Brien going, unless Sean felt he had to go

Not sure there was a contract there for Sean, and when they liked of Exeter come calling its a no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Not sure there was a contract there for Sean, and when they liked of Exeter come calling its a no brainer

Ya to be fair I think the decision on Sean was made before he got his run in the team. Not sure if that centre will sign. Friend seemed to suggest there would be no further signings and I’d imagine now with Buckley’s injury if there is to be a signing it will be a prop.

Surprised we haven’t got a list of who’s leaving. Normally do around the last game of the season

Ya to be fair I think the decision on Sean was made before he got his run in the team. Not sure if that centre will sign. Friend seemed to suggest there would be no further signings and I’d imagine now with Buckley’s injury if there is to be a signing it will be a prop.

Surprised we haven’t got a list of who’s leaving. Normally do around the last game of the season

Parker TH and Maguire LH would be helpful, without McAlister, Kenny AND Buckley until March

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Yes apparently the deal was done early in the year before he got a run of games.

Fast approaching dire straits at prop, we effectively have 5 contracted for next season as it will be well into 2022 before we see Buckley. Loosehead is the weakest position on our depth chart by a country mile, our season is as good as dead in the water before it begins if we do not recruit well.

Fast approaching dire straits at prop, we effectively have 5 contracted for next season as it will be well into 2022 before we see Buckley. Loosehead is the weakest position on our depth chart by a country mile, our season is as good as dead in the water before it begins if we do not recruit well.

+ Burke hasn't convinced yet so we basically have Duggan to start for 6 months as it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Didn’t realise Shayne Bolton was only 21 and has an Irish passport. Deal makes more sense now.

He’d essentially be robbs replacement next year but coming in early, which is ideal because of bundee being with the lions now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I see Aki Seiuli is leaving Glasgow but no mention of where he's off to. Would be a decent injury joker if the likes of James Cronin were unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Bolton would be a great signing if Twitter reports are accurate. Often when offers are this public though the player ends up not moving.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    I see Aki Seiuli is leaving Glasgow but no mention of where he's off to. Would be a decent injury joker if the likes of James Cronin were unavailable.

It's not a medical joker we need, Buckley is going to miss most of the season. Whoever comes in needs be ready to contribute from week one, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's not a medical joker we need, Buckley is going to miss most of the season. Whoever comes in needs be ready to contribute from week one, that's for sure.

A medical joker doesn't have to be short term, look at Alby in Munster was signed as a joker and stay for a full season, maybe even longer?

Bazzo wrote: »

Dylan EVANS Australian 32 years old, LH Prop on the departing list too, both from Glas and from Scarlets from where he was loaned.

b.gud wrote: »
    A medical joker doesn't have to be short term, look at Alby in Munster was signed as a joker and stay for a full season, maybe even longer?

I'll be happy enough either way once someone is signed, but I have no idea why we would sign someone for three months when we know we have a glaring need for most likely the entire season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'll be happy enough either way once someone is signed, but I have no idea why we would sign someone for three months when we know we have a glaring need for most likely the entire season.

Unless there's some definition somewhere I'm unaware of there's no specified contract length for a medical joker? It's just a player signed to cover for an injured player, in this case most likely for a season.

In the Afrikaans online newspaper. Shayne Bolton confirmed it himself to the journalist who wrote article that he must be at Connacht in August

Hope IRFU does not **** up serious talent because we need a prop too...

connachta wrote: »
    In the Afrikaans online newspaper. Shayne Bolton confirmed it himself to the journalist who wrote article that he must be at Connacht in August

Hope IRFU does not **** up serious talent because we need a prop too...

What's this got to do with IRFU?

"Buckley is injured, you need 200K, you won't have that, you have to cancel Bolton, just like you cancel Reece"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Buckley is injured, you need 200K, you won't have that, you have to cancel Bolton, just like you cancel Reece"

What?

Reece was not cancelled for budget reasons. This Bolton guy will be earning a pittance. If he's IQ then he won't prevent any more signings.

• Advertisement

Connacht ID potential signings and IRFU say yay or nay.

If connacht sign Bolton, its on them and not the IRFU

Advertisement