Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2021 Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Streets of Rage 4 | Switch
    2. Cyberpunk 2077 | PS5(PS4 version)
    3. Remnant from the ashes | PS5(PS4)
    4. Life is strange Season 2 | PS5(PS4)
    5. FFX HD remaster | Switch
    6. AC:Odyssey | PS5(PS4)
    7. Resident evil 3:remake | PS5(PS4)
    8. Halo 5: Guardians | Xbox Series X
    9. State of Decay 2 | Xbox Series X
    10. Nioh 2 remastered | PS5
    11. Astro's Playroom |PS5
    12. Crash 4 | PS5
    13. Gears of War 4 | Xbox Series X
    14. Dex | Switch
    15. Valkyria Chronicles 4 |PS5 (PS4)
    16. Resident evil 8: Village | PS5
    17. Outriders | Xbox Series X
    18. Mass Effect 1: Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    19. Blood and Truth | PS5(PSVR)
    20. Dead Space | Xbox Series X(X360 gamepass)
    21. Disco Elysium Director's cut | PS5
    22. Mass Effect 2 : Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    25. Zelda: Links awakening (remake) | Switch
    26. Mass Effect 3 :Legendary Edition | Xbox Series X
    27. Untitled Goose Game | Switch
    28. Yakuza Kiwami 2 | PS5 (PS4)
    29. FF7 Remake :Intergrade Intermission DLC | PS5
    30. Children of Morta | Xbox Series X
    31. 12 Minutes | Xbox Series X

12 Minutes

Good idea , poorly executed as a game I thought, voice acting in it is not bad but nonsensical puzzles and the flow it is a bit jarring.

Was different anyway but wouldn't recommend it.

With that I have passed my grand total from last year, currently playing Spiderman miles morales got it for 40 euro in smyths, I know its meant to be short but its so god damn fun!

Will go back to metro exodus then but it wasn't really pulling me in but have only a few hours into it just at the volga.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Nier games are the best 7/10 games you will ever play.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

A 7/10 game in the hand is better than two 7/10 games in the backlog.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    8. 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim|PS4
    9. Broken Sword: Director's Cut|PC
    10. Command & Conquer: Red Alert|PC
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    12. Wolfenstein 2: New Colossus (DLC)|PC
    13. Deception 4: Blood Ties|PS4
    14. Final Fantasy Adventure|Gameboy
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    16. Thief 2: The Metal Age|PC
    17. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Spearhead|PC
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    19. God of War: Chain of Olympus|PS3
    20. Resident Evil Village|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    22. Clockwork Knight|Saturn
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    27. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions|Android
    28. Halo 5: Guardians|XBox One
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    32. Turok Dinosaur Hunter|PC
    33. Professor Layton and Pandora's Box|Android
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    35. No One Lives Forever|PC
    36. DuckTales Remastered|PC
    37. Yakuza: Like a Dragon|PC
    38. Asterix|Master System
    39. McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure|Megadrive
    40. Fuga: Melodies of Steel|PC

Fuga: Melodies of Steel

It's such a shame the mainstream press have ignored this game and it's flying under the radar because it's fantastic. Cyberconnect2 made the game on a low budget and self published it and I'm hoping the risk pays of, this is a real passion project for them. They release a game in the Little Tail Bronx series every ten years it seems and despite being highly acclaimed they never sell well.

Fuga takes place in a fantasy world where you play as a group of children piloting a massive battle tank trying to rescue their parents. The game is a lot darker than other Little Tail Bronx games. The game never really hits you with an overwhelming amount of lore but I found the setting very interesting, especially towards the end when the stakes got very high

Anyway Fuga is a RPG were you control a Tank piloted by a number of children. The Tank pretty much goes in a straight line and you fight enemy tanks along the way. This might seem stupidly restrictive but there's a huge amount of choices to be made in the game with some very real consequences. Juggling what choices to make is what makes the game so interesting.

The battle system is excellent, there's a rock paper scissors mechanic between your machineguns, grenades and cannons. You can delay enemies Grandia/Persona style if you hit them with the right weapons. It's made more complicated with status effects that are very effective and some enemies needing to have their armour damaged before you can do any real damage. It's very complex but easy to understand. Tougher battles can get very intense as you can sometimes be only one round away from death. You really have to manage HP and SP (for special moves) as these can be very difficult to restore.

While the progress of the tank is linear you will reach points where you have a choice of path to take. You can take the easy path with only a few enemies and ample HP and SP stops but you will be missing out on important rare upgrade items in the harder routes.

Every so often you can access ruins which are little randomly generated puzzles with tonnes of loot. You can use a gun to take out enemies are obstacles. There's only ever enough ammo to get through each ruin so using your ammo wisely is the only way to exit the ruins with the maximum amount of loot.

Every so often you get a moment of respite and can explore the tank. This is were the Persona influence comes into the game. You only have a certain number of actions during these intermissions and have to balance raising the affinity of your crew with tasks like upgrading the tank, farming, loot gathering and making meals to give temporary stat boosts.

Fuga is probably the best game I've played from 2021, although it's not GOTY material, I haven't played that many 2021 games. The low budget is obvious in places with some reused bosses and some chapters being lighter on story than others. However the game has a fantastic gameplay loop, if you like Persona you are going to love Fuga. It's also a pretty brisk RPG, clocking in at less than 20 hours. It's got a pretty great soundtrack as well.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC

Quake

Not a whole lot to be said about Quake that hasn't already been said but the new remaster has given me a new found appreciation for the game. When I played it back in the day I really didn't realise what the 3rd dimension brought to the FPS genre. In modern times when FPS level design is so god awful it really highlights just how many possibilities going fully polygonal opened up for level designers. They really take advantage of the third dimension. While Quake's weapon load out isn't very exciting, the setting not as interesting as Doom's, the level design really shines with some crafted wonders of playfulness and ingenuity. There's such a great flow to the levels and it's an art that's been lost outside of throw back shooters like Dusk, and even at that I don't feel they even come close to what Quake's designers achieved. Maybe only Arkane can hold a candle to the masters at Id.

The remaster by nightdive is unsurprisingly excellent. It's very faithful to the original. In fact I feel it's closer to the original vision than even GL Quake was. The new visual flourishes like motion blur, dynamic lighting and ambient occlusion look excellent.

Quake is still a blast and I feel I appreciate it even more now than I did back in 1996.

It still however has one of the worst endings ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crackdown 3

Easily the worst game I have played this year and its not even close, cleared it on normal in about 6 hours. I vaguely recall E3 a few years ago them showing Frostbite levels of destruction then it was delayed and I am not even sure when it came out but its on gamepass so I had a look. Its terrible so many things dont work and it looks and feels like they had an idea, realised that idea wasnt happened then stuck a coat of paint on it and shoved it out the door.

Was on the 3rd last person to kill when I realised there was a wingsuit in i.

Terrible game, I have played it so you dont have to.

Crackdown 3 was a product of the whole we are going to use the azure cloud to make the Xbox one look better than the PS4 bullshit train that people have forgotten about.

All the physics destruction was supposed to be carried out on the cloud but of course that was stupid considering latency issues and the game got passed around until it was.... A game and sent out to die while Microsoft hoped nobody noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Call of duty cold war - PS4

A plague tale innocence - Xbox one

Fifa 20 - Xbox one

Hotshot racing - Xbox one

Mafia - PS4

Resident evil 3 - PS4

The walking dead a new frontier - Xbox one

Hitman 2 - PS4

What remains of Edith Finch - Xbox one

Beyond 2 souls - PS4

Ion Fury - PS4

Mad Max - PS4

Assassins creed valhalla - PS4

Dead space 3 - Xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xbox

Psychonauts 2

Absolutely brilliant game. I loved every minute of it. Took me about 36 hours but that is after collecting all collectibles which there is a lot and many hidden. If you like collecting then it is a easy gamerscore if you are in to that I got 1000/1000.

12. Crash 4 | PS5
    14. Dex | Switch
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X

State of Decay 2: Heartland

Not a full game per say but bit of substanial DLC. Not bad links the first one and the second one has a smattering of story and is essentially a good bit harder as all zombies are blood plague zombies now.

The Gauntlet was tough enough crazy amount of zombies at the end but my superhero character breezed through it.

Hopefully when 3 releases they can add a bit more bones to the story have a soft spot for this series.

• Advertisement

12. Crash 4 | PS5
    14. Dex | Switch
    23. Returnal | PS5
    24. Ruiner | Switch
    32. State of Decay 2: Heartland DLC | Xbox Series X
    33. Spiderman: Miles Morales | PS5

Spiderman:Miles Morales

Bit late to the party on this one but had an amazing time playing through this. The length is a bit short but it would be a disservice to dismiss this as padded DLC. It really does have its own identity as a game via the characters arcs and plot. Also the new powers are a ton of fun to use. Shame its so short would have liked another few hours with it.

Might start the ascent on gamepass or finish metro exodues the latter really is not hooking me in yet though its very grim.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC

Return of the Obra Dinn

Lucas Pope yet again makes a game about what should be a boring occupation and make it thoroughly compelling. This time it's an insurance investigator.

Obra Dinn has become one of my all time favourites. Naming people and assessing their fates seems very intimidating at first put once you get the hang of it and the pieces all fall into place it's hugely satisfying. I really can't wait to see what Lucas Pope does next, I believe he has a PlayDate game on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Zone of the Enders: HD Edition

PLATFORM: Xbox 360

Free on Games with Gold for September (along with its sequel as part of the Z.O.E HD Collection)

This game was.... odd.

I love hack & slash games in general so on paper it really appealed to me. But in execution it was a bit of a flop.

It wasn't terrible but you can tell this was a year-1 PS2 game. I often fought with the camera more than anything, the missions were very repetitive, not to mention a lot of backtracking between areas. One of the positive reviews even said "The game's fighting system was praised for its use of 3D camerawork and Jehuty's fast movements" so they were high on the fact you could do all of this in a 3D space, ignoring the awkwardness of said gameplay, and that game plays very badly at times. Manually aiming is an absolute nightmare.

Thankfully the game is super short, like really, really short. In total I think I beat it in 4 or 5 hours.

I tried to follow the plot and I think I got the general gist of it.

If you're looking to play these games, the Xbox 360 version of the original game ran well enough - easily the best way to play it (and if you get it on GWG you keep it forever, since it's a 360 title (if they're still allowing that)). I won't be playing the sequel via the same platform, though - I heard bad things about that port. I have the PS4 version of the sequel in my library so I'm gonna dive into that one instead.

Don't let Zone of the Enders put you off the sequel which is a massive improvement and one of the all time best action games on the PS2. It really is that good. Slow start and then it's set piece after set piece that are mindblowing and somehow keep out doing themselves.

Oh of course, I heard good things and I'm looking forward to it. Having played the original, I'm not surprised it hasn't had the same PS4 treatment. It hasn't aged well at all. I also didn't want to play the 360 HD version of ZOE2 because apparently it's a bad port.

The PS port was god awful as well just Konami decided to go back and fix it with Hexadrive but not the 360 version for some reason.

Game|Platform|

1. Megaman X2|SNES
    2. Streets of Rage 4|PC
    3. Sekiro|PC
    4. Megaman 7|SNES
    5. Megaman 8|PS1
    6. Megaman X3|SNES
    7. Megaman & Bass|SNES
    11. Mischief Makers|N64
    15. Virtua Racing|Switch
    18. Crysis Remaster|PC
    21. Live a Live|SNES
    23. DuckTales|NES
    24. Drakengard 3|PS3
    25. Double Dragon|NES
    26. Secret of Mana|SNES
    29. Air Combat|PS1
    30. Kamui|PC
    31. DuckTales 2|NES
    34. Ape Escape|PS1
    41. Quake|PC
    42. Return of the Obra Dinn|PC
    43. Tail Concerto|PS1

Tail Concerto

This game is a little gem. I was so impressed with Fuga: Melodies of Steel I decided to play the first game in the Little Tail Bronx series.

Tail Concerto is a gorgeous action platformer that reminds me a lot of Megaman Legends. The game is set in a world made up of floating islands. You play as Waffle, a dog boy police officer who patrols the islands in his plane and robot mech suit. The islands are being terrorised by the Black Cat gang and it's up to you to stop them.

The game is very Ghibli-esque with loads of influence from the likes of Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso and Nausicaa. Again, another game that does Ghibli better from the god awful Ni No Kuni. The Black Cat gang are very reminiscent of the pirate gang from Castle in the Sky. The little kitten henchmen you have to trap in bubbles really remind me of the servobots from Megaman Legends. They're super cute but also cheeky little shites lobbing bombs everywhere and annoying the island's residents. The game is a technical marvel as well. It controls really well and despite being one of the best looking PS1 games I've played with an insane sense of scale in some areas, the load times are fast and it runs at a rock solid 30 FPS.

While the game plays very like Megaman Legends it doesn't quite reach the heights of that minor masterpiece. There's a few annoying platforming sections later on. The game is quite short as well, 6 hours, which isn't a bad thing but you can tell the developers had plans for a much bigger game. It never reaches the same level of satisfaction as Megaman Legends as it's missing that games exploration and discovery.

It's still however one of the best PS1 games I've played. Solid controls, gorgeous, fun story with a highly amusing antagonist and some great boss battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Xbox

Mirrors Edge Catalyst

Overall a great game and loved every minute of it. I do not understand the hate it has received in the dedicated thread on here about not liking the open world aspect compared to the original. It was nice to be able to go to where you wanted and then take what ever route you wanted. I'd recommend this game to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Flat out one of the best games I've played in years. It's a crime that this game isn't more well known.

The structure of the game is that there are 13 different characters, all of whom have a bunch of story chapters that are fairly bitesize, about 20 minutes each. You pick and choose who to play as and jump around different characters as you please. Sometimes it's gated and you can't see one character's next chapter till you've done something with someone else, but for the most part it's quite freeform. You're never necessarily seeing the full picture, or following it in chronological order, but as you get further into each character's arc you start to figure out how they all fit together.

The story is entirely non-interactive, yet the way you experience it, jumping between all the different viewpoints in an order of your choosing, could only work in a game. And it works brilliantly because the characters are extremely well realised and the plot is one of the strongest I've ever seen in a video game. The plot takes so many twists and turns, every time you think you have it figured out it throws something new at you. And even though you're jumping between so many different protagonists, they are all extremely well fleshed out and there's not a single weak link among them. You always want to do one more chapter, both because you're invested in the characters, but also because you want to pick up that next piece of the giant jigsaw puzzle of narrative and figure out where it goes.

I can't even begin to talk about the plot because it has so many twists and figuring them out is such a core part of the fun that should not be spoiled. The initial premise of the game is that it's set predominantly set in 1985, and a bunch of kids at a high school discover they have the power to pilot mysterious giant robots, in order to fight off an even more mysterious monster invasion that appears. That might sound like a fairly bog standard Japanese video game kind of plot, and it's soon joined by many more familiar clichéd tropes and references from other games, books and movies, but these are all very deliberate and expertly handled and subverted as you get further into the game and it starts revealing a far more subtle and complex story than it initially seems.

The game does also have actual gameplay, which is a semi-real time strategy battle system. Like choosing story chapters, you can choose battle chapters at any point and intersperse them with the story as you want. This is definitely the weaker side of the game, with very easy difficulty and not quite enough tactical options to make it truly compelling, but the fact that it still features lots of in-battle dialog between the characters and you get so invested in them makes it enjoyable to get through. It probably only takes up 10-20% of the running time of the game I'd say, the story sections definitely take up the bulk of your time.

Overall I can't recommend this game enough, it's one of those rare titles that you just want to tell everyone about after playing it.

Some one lese played 13 Sentinels!

I really can't recommend it enough either. It had me absolutely glued right to the end and I really enjoyed the plot, it's very well paced as well and never a dull moment.

I was initially on the fence as I heard it was a visual novel and I just can't get into them but this feel totally different. The interactivity sets it apart. The over use of cliches really had me worried at the start of the game but it really takes some wild turns and becomes its own thing from the end and those cliches feed into the overall themes of media consumption.

• Advertisement

GAME: Call of Duty: WWII

PLATFORM: Xbox One

I was in the mood to shoot up some Nazis. I already had half the campaign beaten about 2 years ago, so I said I'd finish it since it was still installed on my Xbox doing nothing.

What can I say? It's more Call of Duty. Whoop-de-do

Have to say I much prefer the older settings compared to any other ones. I always have time for WW2 stuff. The story is your typical COD plot but it wasn't that bad. I actually cared about a couple of characters, would you believe.....

Well, I can uninstall the game now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Resident Evil 3 - PlayStation 4
    2. Resident Evil 4 - PlayStation 4
    3. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4
    4. Yakuza Kiwami 2 - PlayStation 4
    5. Endless Fable 3: Dark Moor - PlayStation 4
    6. Cube Escape: The Lake - Android
    7. The Secret Order 7: Shadow Breach - PlayStation 4
    8. A Plague Tale: Innocence - PlayStation 4
    9. Ghost Files: Memory of a Crime - PlayStation 4
    10. Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love - PlayStation 4
    11. Anodyne - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    12. Dandara - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    13. Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    14. Dead Space 2 - PlayStation 3
    15. Dead Space 3 - PlayStation 3
    16. Medievil - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    17. Broken Age - PlayStation 4
    18. Call of Duty Blacks Ops 3 (Campaign only) - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    19. Unmechanical Extended - PlayStation 4
    20. Marvels Avengers - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    21. Far Cry 3 - PlayStation 3
    22. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - PlayStation 3
    23. In Rays of the Light - PlayStation 4
    24. Yoku's Island Express - PlayStation 4
    25. Borderlands 3 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    26. Streets of Rage 4 - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    27. Judgement - PlayStation 4 (PS Now)
    28. Astro's Playroom - PlayStation 5
    29. Red Dead Redemption 2 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)

Red Dead Redemption 2

Well firstly I now completely understand why this game divides opinion so much. It's a technical marvel and does so many things right. I really enjoyed the story, the characters, the music, the voice acting, the dialogue, the world, the random encounters and the incredible amount of detail that Rockstar put into the game. Surely all of that should mean that I loved the game - unfortunately I didn't although by the end I did enjoy it a lot once I figured out the best way to play it.

There are so many things that Rockstar got wrong, it's a 60 hour game with 30 hours of that spent looking at a horses ass. The combat is poor and far too easy, most of the time there's no need to use cover because you can take so many hits before you die. The missions are largely uninspiring, ride your horse to a location, have a large gun fight, rinse and repeat.

The 'realism' things such as replenishing your cores, eating, sleeping, feeding your horse etc are nothing more than annoying. Luckily I eventually figured out that they are all completely meaningless. I just stopped doing them all and there is very little punishment for doing so.

This is the point where I started to enjoy the game more, when i figured out you don't have to do any of the above, there's no need to bother hunting to upgrade the satchel as you can already carry far more than you need, you don't need to upgrade the camp, you don't need to upgrade weapons, basically you can just ignore all of the more annoying features.

In the end I enjoyed the game, largely for its story and world, but when your enjoyment of a game comes from ignoring many of its main features then it can't be said that it's a truly great game.

Advertisement