Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mm Rip in Tyre

Options
  • 02-01-2021 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I've had 4 punctures in last 24 mths, all within 20 miserable Dec days. 1st was a thorn in back tyre. 2nd was a 2mm rip in front tube, I realised this was due to a 2mm rip in tyre wall just below the wheel rim when 3rd puncture happened in same place. Tyre bought in July, 2,500- km - Vittoria Rubino Pro Road Bike Tyre Black, 700c, 25c. I put on one of my old tyres ( while wondering which replacement tyre to use) and puncture no4 was again a 2mm rip in front tyre just below rim, I think that it was not in exactly the same part of wheel. I have run finger around wheel rim, it's not perfect but nothing sharp enough to rip tyre.
    Lesson -I will take photo to remember exact tyre position versus valve in future.
    I cycle hilly country roads, plenty of thorns and a few ruts.
    Is it just coincidence? What causes such a rip? Can tyre rip be repaired? Any recommendation for replacement tyre welcome.
    PS I inflate to 7.5bar and weigh 80kg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Is the brake pad rubbing against the tyre, by any chance?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that pressure is comfortably above what you'd need anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭pjq

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Is the brake pad rubbing against the tyre, by any chance?

No I checked that, and had breaks done in shop in June when gear wiring broke.

Photo of rip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

It certainly looks like the kind of rip caused by faulty brake adjustment. This can sometimes happen when the wheel hub isn't fully seated in the drop-outs and the brake pad slightly overlaps the tyre. As a regular user of Rubino Pros, I don't think it's a fault in the tyre. Did the punctures happen on or just after a downhill section of road by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pjq wrote: »
    .... had breaks done in shop in June...
    That was 8 months ago! :eek:

It certainly looks like it was caused by a rubbing pad. Brake pads can require vertical adjusting as they wear as they travel a greater distance to reach the rim (if the cable hasn't been adjusted to compensate).

Did the punctures happen on or just after a downhill section of road by any chance?
    Yes, Yes, both on same hill :confused: now that u mention it.
    That was 8 months ago! :eek:

It certainly looks like it was caused by a rubbing pad. Brake pads can require vertical adjusting as they wear as they travel a greater distance to reach the rim (if the cable hasn't been adjusted to compensate).

I just checked, while its not touching rubber, pad is at the rim edge, as suggested I've dropped the pad down a bit. Maybe I can't see touching because I used puncture opportunities to get a brush in to wash inaccessible parts and whatever I upset after puncture #1 is more or less back in place.

Thanks for your help

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it may be that under heavy braking, your brake pad 'pops' out of position, though that's just me thinking aloud.

Advertisement