Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Above is the bit you just cant seem to grasp and it goes a long way to explaining why you dont get satire. A defender of the church crying because you think other people are trying to"Force their viewpoint on you"when that has been the churches M.O. since the year dot

So what, they are fairly uninfluential now.

If you want you can try oppose ideologies that are pertinent today.
    No relevance to Ireland really.

We have been over this one on the first page and a million times since

Well there are muslims in Ireland. And being a minority religion doesn't protect Catholicism in the UK ( see Hitchens and Dawkins etc etc etc etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 35,021 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Well there are muslims in Ireland. And being a minority religion doesn't protect Catholicism in the UK ( see Hitchens and Dawkins etc etc etc etc).

Does the BBC lampoon Catholics on a regular basis?

Whether you choose to deny God or accept him, you will still have to face God's judgement. Trying to suppress God because of what man did won't stop God's wrath on all those that deny him.

But God has decided this before we were born anyway, so what can we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Whether you choose to deny God or accept him, you will still have to face God's judgement. Trying to suppress God because of what man did won't stop God's wrath on all those that deny him.

What a load of rot -- pity your god doesn't bring his judgement on all the religious that sexually and physically abused children and the vulnerable.

Seems he only brings his wrath for the non relgious. I don't believe and I care not a jot that some randomer who believes in sky fairies was upset over satire (good or bad) on tv.

Build yourself a bridge .....

o1s1n wrote: »
    Does the BBC lampoon Catholics on a regular basis?

Hitchens and Dawkins never stopped.

The hysteria about a dead organisation in Ireland is somewhat hard to understand, but I think it comes from that part of the Irish psyche which was uncomfortable with Irish independence. This narrative has dominated for a few generations now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

People who don't believe in the great genocidal magical sky fairy tend to also not believe in his day of judgement...

That's a decision you made and your entitled to it. God gave us all free will to either follow him or reject him.

Master of the Universe

The hysteria about a dead organisation in Ireland is somewhat hard to understand, but I think it comes from that part of the Irish psyche which was uncomfortable with Irish independence. This narrative has dominated for a few generations now.

Hitchens and Dawkins are hardly representatives of the BBC though, sure Hitchens is gone years now too.

I can't think of anything on the BBC making fun of Catholics in recent memory at all.

I suppose the elephant in the room is the fact that, out of the three abrahamic religions, Christianity is the only one that won't potentially have you killed or imprisoned for mocking it.

'Turn the other cheek" and all that!

What a load of rot -- pity your god doesn't bring his judgement on all the religious that sexually and physically abused children and the vulnerable.

Seems he only brings his wrath for the non relgious. I don't believe and I care not a jot that some randomer who believes in sky fairies was upset over satire (good or bad) on tv.

Build yourself a bridge .....

I already have my bridge, Jesus is the only way our sins can be forgiven and we be made right with God.

It's not up to God to bring judgement while we are in this world, the time of judgement is the same for everyone when our spirit leaves the physical body in death.

Master of the Universe

That's a decision you made and your entitled to it. God gave us all free will to either follow him or reject him.

'follow me, or die' is not free will - it's a threat.

'follow me, or die' is not free will - it's a threat.

Why would you choose to reject God? He brings internal peace and happiness in a world controlled by Satan that tries to deceive, kill and destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Why would you choose to reject God? He brings internal peace and happiness in a world controlled by Satan that tries to deceive, kill and destroy.

Which god?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,427 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

You cant reject what is not real

Master of the Universe

I have internal peace and happiness without him.

I also can go one further and have zero of the shame associated with a religious life too.

You really should try giving atheism a go, it's great!

And think of it this way, you're already an atheist, you don't believe in 99.9% of fake god's as is. Just add that fake Christian Jehovah god lad to the list too and you're there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

Which god?

The one true God.

You cant reject what is not real

That's very true.

Social media, wealth, it's all just noise. Not real like our immortal souls. Some can't reject what is not real. You're so right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

The one true God.

But there are so many how can you tell which is the one true god?

I also can go one further and have zero of the shame associated with a religious life too.

And think of it this way, you're already an atheist, you don't believe in 99.9% of fake god's as is. Just add that fake Christian Jehovah god lad to the list too and you're there :)

Okay, but I certainly would not like to be in your shoes. I know where your heading and it is not something I would wish on anybody.

With a hedonistic avatar like that? You can pretend you're happy..but are you really?

I respect your beliefs. However, as a GP, i see the fear in men's eyes before they die. Aetheists have it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I mentioned similar to this in the Religion thread (before I realised it was that forum) - I can see Predictable Dave McSavage trying to get a reaction with something similar now that it's been done. He likely won't get the RTE airtime for it now, but will probably try another tiresome whatsapp viral video. He's probably looking for some 'new' material at this stage anyway..

But there are so many how can you tell which is the one true god?

Yahweh has revealed himself through millenia. His 10 commandments.

He doesn't look for baby killing sacrifices like pagan Gods. It's pretty easy to see the one true God.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

I think this clip should be removed from history because it is monumentally unfunny.

Master of the Universe

Okay, but I certainly would not like to be in your shoes. I know where your heading and it is not something I would wish on anybody.

I find it rather amazing that you know where I'm heading, do you have a direct line to the creator himself or are you judging me by my actions?

If the latter, do remember Matthew 7:1-3.

Master of the Universe

With a hedonistic avatar like that? You can pretend you're happy..but are you really?

I respect your beliefs. However, as a GP, i see the fear in men's eyes before they die. Aetheists have it too.

People's avatars express their level of happiness? That's a new one to me. I also fail to see what is hedonistic about a bloody nose.

Everyone fears their inevitable death, I never said otherwise.

Master of the Universe

He doesn't look for baby killing sacrifices like pagan Gods. It's pretty easy to see the one true God.

Psalm 137:9 would like to respectfully disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,076 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I call on the taxpayer to pay the catholic church for hundreds of years of literacy, recording of history and being a steward to the Irish republican identity, where otherwise we were destined to endless servitude and penal laws.

Also for preserving important classical texts as well as social care and health care for hundreds of years. What do you think that's worth?

The church was well paid for all of the above, how do you think they have so much wealth?

Teachers' salaries and school running costs have been paid by the state ever since the 19th century, it's why they are called "national schools". Hospitals the same, they were funded by local authorities and then later the health boards.

The RCC got a payment from the state for every woman entering a mother and baby home, every unfortunate infant living there and for every even more unfortunate child committed to an industrial school.

The RCC owns billions of euros worth of property in Ireland alone.

Read your history. RCC opposed Irish republicanism right up until the point it looked like they would win. Post-famine the British saw the RCC as a means to pacify Ireland, they even helped to pay for the building of Maynooth seminary.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 35,076 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dead organisation?

Tried to enrol a child in school lately? In a lot of places you'll find your options are Catholic, Catholic and Catholic.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

If there's one thing worse than the tiresome atheists who make sneering remarks about 'sky fairies', it's religious fundamentalists who don't understand the difference between knowledge and belief.

If my GP spent his day talking about ghosts and demons and souls the way you do I would report him to the HSE.

The church was well paid for all of the above, how do you think they have so much wealth?

Teachers' salaries and school running costs have been paid by the state ever since the 19th century, it's why they are called "national schools". Hospitals the same, they were funded by local authorities and then later the health boards.

The RCC got a payment from the state for every woman entering a mother and baby home, every unfortunate infant living there and for every even more unfortunate child committed to an industrial school.

The RCC owns billions of euros worth of property in Ireland alone.

Read your history. RCC opposed Irish republicanism right up until the point it looked like they would win. Post-famine the British saw the RCC as a means to pacify Ireland, they even helped to pay for the building of Maynooth seminary.

And don't forget the money they got from human trafficking of infants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have any of the so-called Christians offended by that short clip actually read the bible?

Or are they too busy worshipping their genocidal maniac?

Advertisement