Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Okay, but I certainly would not like to be in your shoes. I know where your heading and it is not something I would wish on anybody.

I am afraid you are already there chief. All your posts seem to be some kind of self affirmation. Self hypnosis. You don't answer the questions, you just try to convince yourself that your mantras are safe and true. Scary. Somebody did a complete brainwash on you in the past. My advice, don't waste this life, we have no idea what happens after it.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Yahweh has revealed himself through millenia. His 10 commandments.

He doesn't look for baby killing sacrifices like pagan Gods. It's pretty easy to see the one true God.

Yeah the one true gods lackeys here on earth thought better than killing babies and children as it’s difficult to rape and abuse dead babies!!

Raping for Yahweh, the one way to guarantee entrance to heaven. Well that and just asking for forgiveness at the gate which is what I shall do after a lifetime of debauchery and hedonism!

It’s the biggest flaw Christianity has, God telling people to lead good lives but if ya don’t il forgive ya anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,427 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

frag420 wrote: »
    Yeah the one true gods lackeys here on earth thought better than killing babies and children as it’s difficult to rape and abuse dead babies!!

Raping for Yahweh, the one way to guarantee entrance to heaven. Well that and just asking for forgiveness at the gate which is what I shall do after a lifetime of debauchery and hedonism!

It’s the biggest flaw Christianity has, God telling people to lead good lives but if ya don’t il forgive ya anyways...

I wouldn't argue with fast Twitch now that he has shown how much more knowledgeable he is than the rest of us be using different words for God.

Anyone who can Google different words for God is clearly of superior intelligence

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I wouldn't argue with fast Twitch now that he has shown how much more knowledgeable he is than the rest of us be using different words for God.

Anyone who can Google different words for God is clearly of superior intelligence

You and a few of your mates here are just a few Norn Iron Prods doin a bit of 'Tadgh / 'Katalik' bashing'

Your ignorance shines thru in every post

Oh yeah, and with an 'anal fixation' as well. The full package
    Lols

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Have any of the so-called Christians offended by that short clip actually read the bible?

Or are they too busy worshipping their genocidal maniac?

That'd be the Jews, and their OT "genocidal maniac", that "quality" of "God" isn't really celebrated post new covenant. I suspect if you read the bible yourself, you might know that, ratger than profess some knowledge of it, to fire cheap shots.

Me, I think its all nonsense, but prefer not to have double standards, I treat them all the same.

Consumption of "offensive" material for entertainment purposes should be a choice, not rammed down ones throat by your taxes' funded state broadcaster when you're confined to your home on the instructions of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Okay, but I certainly would not like to be in your shoes. I know where your heading and it is not something I would wish on anybody.

Who are you to think you know God's mind? Isn't prude a sin?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,021 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That'd be the Jews, and their OT "genocidal maniac", that "quality" of "God" isn't really celebrated post new covenant. I suspect if you read the bible yourself, you might know that, ratger than profess some knowledge of it, to fire cheap shots.

Me, I think its all nonsense, but prefer not to have double standards, I treat them all the same.

You do realise they're the same god, right?

I don't see how The New Testament absolves that God from his mass killings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The joke was more guilty of being painfully unfunny, to this shamdazzler anyway. I’m very much of the “everything is fair game for humour” school of thought. It was just a lead balloon of a joke that was totally out of place on the show on which it was featured. In that context, I don’t know, it just felt a bit mean-spirited or something.

Consumption of "offensive" material for entertainment purposes should be a choice, not rammed down ones throat by your taxes' funded state broadcaster when you're confined to your home on the instructions of the state.

Christians and Jews have the same God, it's Jesus they argue over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The church locked up young girls for the perfectly normal act of sex before marriage. Then it beat and raped them
    It took young boys into its care and then beat and raped them on an industrial scale.
    Wars, crusades, the Spanish Inquisition.

Tell me what have WWN or any of their defenders done that is as bad as that

Who said you cant feel offended? Show me

Yes the church did with the help of authorities and ordinary citizens but does that mean you ridicule the beliefs of every catholic, or indeed every christian today.

Do you have any proof there wasn't 15 centuries of rape ?

Funny how it is ok to intimate all catholics, or at least all catholic priests, did something bad and you get thanks from some of the usuals but fook me pink any post about members of another religion with huge current problems with child abuse amongst it's members not very far from here and there is a cohort of people on to tell us NOT ALL ********** are that way.

This fooking place and the so called liberals reek of double standards and are the modern Quislings in waiting.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement

Alfred123 wrote: »
    You and a few of your mates here are just a few Norn Iron Prods doin a bit of 'Tadgh / 'Katalik' bashing'

Your ignorance shines thru in every post

Oh yeah, and with an 'anal fixation' as well. The full package
    Lols

Prod ? Northern Ireland?

I'm an atheist from Limerick and never hid the fact.
    And what's wrong with a healthy "anal fixation"

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes the church did with the help of authorities and ordinary citizens but does that mean you ridicule the beliefs of every catholic, or indeed every christian today.

Funny how it is ok to intimate all catholics, or at least all catholic priests, did something bad and you get thanks from some of the usuals but fook me pink any post about members of another religion with huge current problems with child abuse amongst it's members not very far from here and there is a cohort of people on to tell us NOT ALL ********** are that way.

This fooking place and the so called liberals reek of double standards and are the modern Quislings in waiting.

None of those comments bare relation to the quotes of mine you have there. What other religions with current problems did I shoot you down for mentioning.

People keep crying about censorship but seem unable to provide proof of any and funny enough are still able to post despite censorship

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

o1s1n wrote: »

Christians and Jews have the same God, it's Jesus they argue over.

I think Mike is aware they’re the same God lads. He was making the point that the genocidal maniac that Zebra spoke of was more applicable in the Old Testament than the New. Old Testament being more applicable to Jews, NT perspective on God being more applicable to Christians, bit like the mate who opinions are divided on - they’re the same person sure, but perspectives differ :D

As for the ‘joke’ itself? It’s RTÉ, I don’t expect much from them at this point. They’ve been trying to be edgy since their inception and this was just another piss poor attempt at same. It’s not offensive to me personally. More offensive is the fact that the State are continuing to fund a national broadcast which includes Jason Byrne, Kathryn Thomas and dried up Aongus McGrianna memes from years ago and pass it off as entertainment on New Years Eve?

I was watching the BBC coverage in London anyway, quality entertainment as opposed to the shìte RTE put on.

I think Mike is aware they’re the same God lads. He was making the point that the genocidal maniac that Zebra spoke of was more applicable in the Old Testament than the New. Old Testament being more applicable to Jews, NT perspective on God being more applicable to Christians, bit like the mate who opinions are divided on - they’re the same person sure, but perspectives differ :D

As for the ‘joke’ itself? It’s RTÉ, I don’t expect much from them at this point. They’ve been trying to be edgy since their inception and this was just another piss poor attempt at same. It’s not offensive to me personally. More offensive is the fact that the State are continuing to fund a national broadcast which includes Jason Byrne, Kathryn Thomas and dried up Aongus McGrianna memes from years ago and pass it off as entertainment on New Years Eve?

I was watching the BBC coverage in London anyway, quality entertainment as opposed to the shìte RTE put on.

Ah, fair enough, apologies Mike if that's what you meant.

And agreed with the rest Jacksy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,895 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

https://www.catholic.com/qa/how-important-is-the-old-testament-for-catholics
    Question:
    How important is the Old Testament to modern Catholics? I know that Christ fulfilled the old Law and all, but should we still feel that the Old Testament is important and viable to our faith?

Answer:
    The Old Testament is very important for Christians. The Catechism of the Catholic Church explains:

The Old Testament is an indispensable part of Sacred Scripture. Its books are divinely inspired and retain a permanent value, for the Old Covenant has never been revoked.

That's how important the genocidal God is to Catholics.

On here getting offended about a joke, but no issues to them worshipping a deity that's into slavery, incest and rape amongst other things.

Amazing that they get all uppidity about a joke, as I don't recall them getting upset about all the child abuse that was covered up and demanding that the RC church open up its' files and sack all those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Everything should be up for comedy or satire. No special cases, no exceptions.

Except Islam of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bad taste. Worst of all...not really funny.
    Rape jokes aren't funny.
    The producers should be told to cop on, regardless of whose kids they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The joke was more guilty of being painfully unfunny, to this shamdazzler anyway. I’m very much of the “everything is fair game for humour” school of thought. It was just a lead balloon of a joke that was totally out of place on the show on which it was featured. In that context, I don’t know, it just felt a bit mean-spirited or something.
    Yep i'd be of the school of thought. They might have gotten away with it if it was in anyway funny or witty but it's RTE so it was badly written and badly framed and in no way was it funny.

Yep i'd be of the school of thought. They might have gotten away with it if it was in anyway funny or witty but it's RTE so it was badly written and badly framed and in no way was it funny.

I often chuckle or even belly laugh at Waterford Whispers headlines when I see them online but they just didn’t translate well to television, IMO. No harm in them trying it out but I think the NYE show was not the time and place. So that’s the first thing that went wrong, I think.

And then this joke was a misfire because it just wasn’t well constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Zebra3 wrote: »
    https://www.catholic.com/qa/how-important-is-the-old-testament-for-catholics

That's how important the genocidal God is to Catholics.

On here getting offended about a joke, but no issues to them worshipping a deity that's into slavery, incest and rape amongst other things.

Amazing that they get all uppidity about a joke, as I don't recall them getting upset about all the child abuse that was covered up and demanding that the RC church open up its' files and sack all those involved.

From reading the last five or so pages, the majority of posts here are just from people with specific issue with the catholic church and maybe one guy ranting about hell(perhaps satirically also?). I imagine the actual subject of this thread, not the entire history of indiscretions by the catholic church but the rte news piece, is offensive to all christians, not just catholics. I can only imagine but I wouldn't find a joke funny about god being a rapist if that was my true belief.

The question is, why would rte, the national broadcaster, use a satirical piece that has almost no comedic value, on a new years message that should be inclusive for the entire irish population. Why would they choose to alienate christians?

I agree with free expression in terms of normal programming but its a specifically inclusive, objective and formal program, the rte news and it is a new years message that excludes those of a specific faith and satirizes rape. Seems inappropriate at best.

How do I feel if I am a believer in god and I am a rape victim, I reach the end of 2020, I am watching the state broadcaster's new years message and I see this. Do I feel included, a sense of unity or am I likely to feel excluded and alienated?

I am still trying to get the joke by the way, is it just "god raped mary" or "look even god is running foul of the metoo movement, noone is safe" or what exactly is the funny part. I'm still waiting for the clever witty penny to drop for me. It seems like a pointless joke.

Edit: not the news but the new years countdown show. Still the same requirement for inclusivity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,930 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what was the target of this joke, it might actually have been the #metoo movement rather then god

• Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

waht was the target of this joke, it might actually have been the #metoo movement rather then god

it was but i doubt most of those complaining about it have even seen the clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

waht was the target of this joke, it might actually have been the #metoo movement rather then god

Obviously it was. Along with Irelands ridiculous justice system. It's not even subtle ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I often chuckle or even belly laugh at Waterford Whispers headlines when I see them online but they just didn’t translate well to television, IMO. No harm in them trying it out but I think the NYE show was not the time and place. So that’s the first thing that went wrong, I think.

And then this joke was a misfire because it just wasn’t well constructed.

Personally I find WW hit and miss. When it's good, it's fantastic and when it isn't, it's rubbish.

This was pure rubbish. Not remotely funny and if you're going to have a go at religion, the comedy has got to at least make a point in my opinion. This was just gratuitous nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

If an audience has to query and debate either the butt, or the actual point, of a joke, then by definition it isn't an effective joke. I find the whole thing somewhere between juvenile and tasteless. I don't care much for medieval categorisation such as blasphemy, but it sure isn't particularly witty... but this RTE after all, as many have pointed out for decades.

Perhaps it would have been better if the Catholic Primate avoided all the hand-wringing moral outrage and instead called it what it was: pathetic, tasteless and stupid, more so than 'blasphemous' which only invites more of the same ridicule from the axe-grinders and armchair theologians.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Personally I find WW hit and miss. When it's good, it's fantastic and when it isn't, it's rubbish.

This was pure rubbish. Not remotely funny and if you're going to have a go at religion, the comedy has got to at least make a point in my opinion. This was just gratuitous nonsense.

That’s it. If you’re going for a provocative target, you really have to absolutely nail it.

o1s1n wrote: »

Haven't said anything to the contrary, and i don't necessarily disagree with you. The god of the OT is an odious, despicable diety.
    But I suppose for clarification, I should point out that i don't believe that god killed anyone, as i hold it didn't actually exist.

Its also the god of Islam. But its how that "God" and their actions in the respective testaments are regarded in the faiths, and in particular Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

RTE is the state broadcaster, it is virtually impossible to avoid paying the license fee so it is a de facto tax.
    Therefore they do not have the right to mock a religion that is still very important in many people's lives. These people pay for RTE.

I'm not particularly religious but it must have been blatently obvious that many people would find this sketch offensive.

Basic good manners should have been in play here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

DeanAustin wrote: »

That’s it. If you’re going for a provocative target, you really have to absolutely nail it.

All the comedy "experts" on this thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

newmember? wrote: »
    All the comedy "experts" on this thread. :rolleyes:

It's a discussion forum...people are entitled to call out whatever they perceive as good or rubbish. No one has to be an 'expert' to give an opinion on whatever topic is being discussed.

And I agree with DeanAustin, WW can be occasionally funny but very often it's just woefully unfunny.

Advertisement