Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

All comedy is criticism. No group should be afforded special rights or protection. Especially religious groups who have been used to dishing out censorship and lies about minorities and what they perceive to be wrong.

It's very worrying when we grovel apologetically at their feet.

The fact is mary's conception was not consensual. But bear in mind the mighty 10 commandments never condemn child abuse, or rape or torture or slavery.

Mainly because gods richeous army often gifted itself the virgins after slaughtering the men and kids. And he's offended? Let them be. Offence doesn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The comedy sketch would have been fine if RTE were known for being equal opportunities with satire, but this is the network that blurred the charlie hebdo cover after the tragic massacre of innocent journalists, RTE has clearly shown their bias where only mockery of christianity is allowed. They never would have dared greenlit a piece mocking judaism or islam in the same light which is where the real outrage stems from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Just watched it again there for the 2nd or 3rd time and it still makes me laugh - "billion year-old" :D

What I find strange is there was no backlash from the metoo movement or from feminists as it was clearly a dig at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

It absolutely is exclusive, it's not even Christian it's specifically Catholic.

The name The Angelus is the name of a specific Catholic call to prayer.

The bell ringing has the specific number and form of rings set out for that specific Catholic call to prayer.

The woo-ey silly visuals they show now are a cop-out, they used to at least be more honest about what the Angelus is and show pictures of saints.

Of course on the radio it's on twice a day, and nothing whatsoever about it has changed since it was introduced in the 1950s. (Yes, for the first 30 years of Radio Eireann's existence they did not feel the need to broadcast daily a specific Catholic call to prayer)

It should have gone years ago but nobody in RTE has the balls.

30 seconds of a joke mildly satirising Christianity on a once-off programme (they ain't gonna touch this topic again with a bargepole) is equated to a minute of prime-time TV every single day, two minutes a day on radio, devoted to a specific Catholic call to prayer. You couldn't make crap like that up.

Complete non-sequitur.

So what. I'm forced to pay for far more programming on RTE which is unquestioningly promoting religion and doesn't make the slightest pretense of being balanced or inclusive.

Shouldn't the main early evening news every day be inclusive? At present it's preceded by a party political broadcast for the RCC. Imagine if RTE had a one-minute ad every day before the news "VOTE FF" and didn't even charge them for this ad?

Whether you like it or not 80% of the population of Ireland in the last census stated their religion was Catholic. It is the majority religion in ireland.
    There is no denying the historical abuse associated with the Catholic Church any priest involved or covering up should have received their due punishment. The hierarchy involved in the cover ups should all have been jailed for years as they were complicit.
    The flip side of the religion is that there are hundreds of thousands of people who get great comfort and peace now more than ever from their faith, they have separated the hierarchy from their faith and their belief is based solely on God and his teachings. You might believe that its a elaborate fairytale and thats your right nothing is being forced on you thankfully religion is freedom of choice today unlike when the church had more power this surely is a good thing.
    But like David Brent a lot of people seem to think poking fun at a religious person and their "fairytale" shows how superior their intelluct is. There are many people of the Catholic faith in ireland not just old grannies people of all ages, I have relations who are priests people who have served their communities for years, they are good people they were not involved in any church scandals (as hard to believe as that might seem), Catholicism offers hope and comfort to many and its no longer the brain washing that happened prior to the 90s. Today its a freedom of choice and as I said 80% chose on the previous census to write Catholic as their religion so im afraid you may have to put up with the 1 min out of 1440 daily on rte for the bells and pictures of the angelus. I doubt the angelus has some form of subliminal proselytising mind control techniques at its core. Give it a few years and it won't be a problem the numbers will drop and eventually you will get your minute back I'm sure. I watched Andrea Corr speak about her religious belief on TT show this week I think she articulated the importance it has in her life in an excellent way. There are thousands more like her in this country. 10% of our population are non religious according to the census the silent majority i would suggest have been very accepting of jokes about their religion hell we all love poking fun at ourselves in this country, but personally I think the joke was in bad taste whether it was Catholic or any other religion but as has been stated no other religion would ever have a similar joke made about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Whether you like it or not 80% of the population of Ireland in the last census stated their religion was Catholic.

Box-tickers - and it was 78%.

A lot of people are under the impression that because they were baptised into a religion they HAVE to tick that box. Others especially the further north you go regard it as a cultural identity but may have no religious belief whatsoever.

It's not a justification for the pro-RCC bullshít RTE put on air every day. They should not be promoting any specific religion.

You say catholicism is a choice - well not really for the kids attending the 90% of schools they still control. Parents who want to opt their kids out of religion are given hassle, told it's not possible (it's a constitutional right), that the child will have to sit at the back of the class and not be allowed to do other work, etc. It's very clear what the real purpose of church control of schools is.

As for those who derive comfort from their religion, that's all very well for them but there are many others emotionally and mentally scarred by it, sometimes for life.

Imagine telling a 4 year old that they are at risk of burning in a fire forever and ever. That is mentally sick.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 paleoperson2

A lot of people are under the impression that because they were baptised into a religion they HAVE to tick that box. Others especially the further north you go regard it as a cultural identity but may have no religious belief whatsoever.

It's not a justification for the pro-RCC bullshít RTE put on air every day. They should not be promoting any specific religion.

You say catholicism is a choice - well not really for the kids attending the 90% of schools they still control. Parents who want to opt their kids out of religion are given hassle, told it's not possible (it's a constitutional right), that the child will have to sit at the back of the class and not be allowed to do other work, etc. It's very clear what the real purpose of church control of schools is.

As for those who derive comfort from their religion, that's all very well for them but there are many others emotionally and mentally scarred by it, sometimes for life.

Imagine telling a 4 year old that they are at risk of burning in a fire forever and ever. That is mentally sick.

What the hell is wrong with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Holy jaysus
    78.3% and non religious was less than 10% but I was rounding.
    I'm assuming 78.3% on the census weren't emotionally scared by it they'd tend to renounce their religion if they were surely??
    Il also assume that saying you are RC on a census means you have some belief in God its not like a vile priest has a gun to your head the day your filling out the census.
    1 min angelus thats your big beef??
    90 % of schools are under Catholic patronage religion is not a bar to education in most of of Ireland I've no experience of a child being refused on religious grounds. there are atheist children in my class 2 protestants and an African religion, the vice like proselytising grip the church has on primary education is a figment of your deluded imagination.
    What parents are given hassle about the religion of their children?? And why on earth would a teacher tell them to sit at the back of the class and not do other work or read a book, religion at most lasts 20 mins a few times a week if lucky. I think you might be confusing 2021 with the 1980s and we have been over those problems.
    Who the hell would tell a 4 yer old they are at risk of burning in fire forever?

Il also assume that saying you are RC on a census means you have some belief in God

But that's all that is, an assumption. Pretty certain they were baptised but anything else beyond that is an assumption.
    1 min angelus thats your big beef??

Why do you or your church feel the need to ram Catholic beliefs down everyone's throats at prime time on a daily basis?
    What parents are given hassle about the religion of their children??

Non-Catholics...
    And why on earth would a teacher tell them to sit at the back of the class and not do other work or read a book

Because they are being cnuts about it tbh. They don't mind "foreigners" opting out so much, but they are terrified Irish people will start opting their kids out en masse - once other people see that it's an option they will want to do it too.

They won't dare hassle hindus or muslims but they regard non-religious Irish people as "lapsed Catholics" :rolleyes:
    religion at most lasts 20 mins a few times a week if lucky.

You really don't know much about this topic. Dept of Education guidelines say it's a minimum of 30 mins a day, every day, in primary. Some schools do more.
    Who the hell would tell a 4 yer old they are at risk of burning in fire forever?

Were you never told about hell in school as a small child? They may soft-soap that sort of thing these days but the guy nailed to a plank on the classroom wall is pretty hard to ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The comedy sketch would have been fine if RTE were known for being equal opportunities with satire, but this is the network that blurred the charlie hebdo cover after the tragic massacre of innocent journalists, RTE has clearly shown their bias where only mockery of christianity is allowed. They never would have dared greenlit a piece mocking judaism or islam in the same light which is where the real outrage stems from

You realise that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all worship the same deity?

Odhinn wrote: »
    You realise that Judaism, Islam and Christianity all worship the same deity?

In your opinion. Those religions would not agree with that statement and will only recognise the validity of their own specific belief system.

• Advertisement

Really? The OT is part of the Christian bible so it is the same god.

Muslims believe Jesus is a prophet (although not the claim that he is the son of god) so that's the same god too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

catholics making jokes about other catholics is not bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭ClydeTallyBump

It was in poor taste.

I have a major issue with the rape element. Disgusting. Rape should not be joked about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

The "real" outrage is from catholics who believe their religion is above ridicule, that you think the reaction would have been less if rte had previously mocked other religions is nothing short of delusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

It was in poor taste.

I have a major issue with the rape element. Disgusting. Rape should not be joked about.

Did you watch the clip?...there was no mention of rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Lantus wrote: »
    In your opinion. Those religions would not agree with that statement and will only recognise the validity of their own specific belief system.

They would indeed agree, because its a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It was in poor taste.

You wont like Blazing Saddles then!!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Lantus wrote: »
    The fact is mary's conception was not consensual. But bear in mind the mighty 10 commandments never condemn child abuse, or rape or torture or slavery.

Just because something is dear to someones heart, doesn't mean that respect should be shown towards it automatically.

All legends have some grain of truth at it's heart.
    If this one has such a grain, then some jewish girl got raped, a cock-and-bull story about immaculate conception was invented and it snowballed.

Making a derisive joke about that is only good and proper in my book.

People will laugh about this RTE climbdown in 10-20 years time like they laugh now at the 1997 Tommy Tiernan joke reaction. I dont think the younger generation today will ever bother to get outraged about stuff like this as they move through life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

I dont think the younger generation today will ever bother to get outraged about stuff like this as they move through life.

What's that based on? They're being raised in an age of compensation and cancel culture. Being a victim is a career path these days.

• Advertisement

Kraftwerk wrote: »
    What's that based on? They're being raised in an age of compensation and cancel culture. Being a victim is a career path these days.

Religion is an increasingly irrelevance amongst the younger generation. The age of information means the young today will never be as brainwashed as older generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Religion is an increasingly irrelevance amongst the younger generation. The age of information means the young today will never be as brainwashed as older generations.
    People are more puritanical and outraged than ever now, its just the topics have changed.

People are more puritanical and outraged than ever now, its just the topics have changed.

Outraged yes....about religion, no. The younger generation will focus their outrages on topics that are, for want of a better word, real.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Outrage indignation and blame assignment are now lifestyle choices for many. It's the age of the snowflake.

Maybe the folks outraged about the NYE clip should read the Mother and Baby Home report?

https://www.rte.ie/news/mother-and-baby-homes/2021/0112/1189266-bessborough-mother-and-baby-home/
    'Resident A' said she received no medical care during her pregnancy and never saw a doctor or a nurse: "I had none in Bessborough - no care at all. I never remember being examined".

She said that when she went into labour, she was locked in a room alone for 72 hours. She was afraid and in terrible pain and when she screamed she was abused.

"I was screaming with pain", she said, "three days screaming with the pain and all you got was, 'Oh you should have thought about this nine months ago.

'You have got to suffer for your sins and you have got to put up with it.' And the more you screamed the more she abused you, which I call abuse now.

"On my second day in labour I was given an injection by Sister Veronica Cleary [midwife]. To this day I do not know what the injection was, but I believe that this was what caused my baby's death and almost caused my own".

She said she overheard two nuns arguing and one accused the other of injecting her with a dirty needle which had caused an infection. She said she developed an infection at the injection site and became unwell.

"I had an abscess half the size of a football; it was protruding and at the very end I was terribly ill," she said. "I could only sit on one side of my bottom and painful even then to sit and I was made to go to church, go to Holy Communion."

She said a Doctor Sutton - "a cruel individual" - was called and treated the abscess, brandishing a long thin knife in front of her.

"There was no preparation, there was nothing," she said. "He just cut you and then went out. I could hear the poison pouring on the floor. They were all just inhuman."

She said she wanted to give her son a specific name, but the nuns refused to allow her to do so as her chosen name was a 'protestant name'.

'Resident A' said she was forced to feed her son in a cold passageway outside the nursery. She developed an abscess on her breast and her son was being bottle fed. After two or three days he wouldn't eat.

They both became ill.

'Resident A' said her son was transferred to St Finbarr's Hospital in Cork at 19 days old, and he died there 19 days later.

The cause of death was given as renal failure and septicaemia.

"My son died at six weeks," 'Resident A' told the Commission. "My son was a beautiful, blonde-haired boy; perfect. I believe he died as a result of the neglect he suffered from those at Bessborough.

"Another woman told me that they had kept my son in a dying room. I begged the nuns to take my son to hospital, but they only did so after two weeks had passed. My son died in hospital.

"I was told by one of the girls that my baby was held in the dying room after he died and I asked where he was kept and I was told by a girl, who had a two-and-a-half year old baby herself that was in another part of the convent, that he was in the dying room.

"I cannot get over this and this is one of the horrors that stays with me ... I wasn't prepared for this inhuman treatment."

'Resident A' says she was refused permission to attend her son's burial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m not religious. Just never got it. Found it boring as a child and hypocritical when I got older. And yet my reaction to the NYE show joke was to wince. It felt mean-spirited and was just a plain bad joke. You don’t have to have been religious to think the joke was in poor taste. Everything is fair game for humour but execution, timing and context are key.

They are blessed with flat earth and other conspiracy theories. Facebook and twitter are better at brainwashing than the church. They can change perception and even alter elections. And all without the user realising it or needing a building to stand in once a week. Efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

It's a bit rich for the church to be outraged over this comedy clip from RTE considering the report that was released yesterday.

It's a bit rich for the church to be outraged over this comedy clip from RTE considering the report that was released yesterday.

Sins of our fathers... two wrongs etc.
    The victims" of the "blasphemy" may very well have been victims of the report you allude to.

• Advertisement

Can anybody actually tell me what that Tommy Tiernan joke was? I didn't see it, all articles referring to it don't mention the joke just that it was "offensive". YouTube doesn't have it either... I know it was something to do with Jesus, but what?

Advertisement