Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Alfred123 wrote: »
    Stop gettinn your knickers in a twist, willya !

Catholicism has been in Ireland since the 5th century. We did not have 15 centuries of child rape, if thats what youre implying

Do a lil bit of research before you swing that pen

If youre Irish and are so grievously unhappy with what your forbears have given you, might be worth havin an oul chat with the therapist. They do help

They didnt have wi-fi and puters, radios, tv back when. They built with their bare hands. Their engine was their Faith. You make it sound like 15 centuries of Christians were out molesting kids. Get a grip

Do you have any proof there wasn't 15 centuries of rape ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Stop gettinn your knickers in a twist, willya !

Catholicism has been in Ireland since the 5th century. We did not have 15 centuries of child rape, if thats what youre implying..

Paedophilia is a modern invention is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

So .. 15 centuries of Sodomy and Begorrah ..

.. i'm tellin ye lads, theres help out there for ye !

PS. .. if ye drop a 50 on the street, im guessin ye won't be bendin over to pick it up
    Lols

So .. 15 centuries of Sodomy and Begorrah ..

.. i'm tellin ye lads, theres help out there for ye !

PS. .. if ye drop a 50 on the street, im guessin ye won't be bendin over to pick it up
    Lols

Ease up on the drink kid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Acosta

4.) Post partition, when the newly formed state was in tatters, a delicate third world country. The state relied on the catholic church to perform functions in education and healthcare, that it could not otherwise have covered. This continued for decades. The church was I'll equipped and lacking the training and personnel to provide a good educational environment but they did it because they were the only ones willing to do it that we could afford. The many thousands of nuns christian brothers and priests who managed these services and lived very simple lives without much compensation, without children to support, should not be forgotten because of the tragedies that occured. Those decades of servitude with inflation could be valued in trillions.

If they did some good then that's fair enough. I'm sure there's many that grew up valuing the churches role in their eduction. But I don't think that makes up for the damage they did to so many peoples lives with their overbearing influence in both eduction, healthcare and society in general. And going back to the original point, whatever good that came out of their presence in Ireland doesn't for a second mean their victims should not be compensated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Love the way that being offended these days gives people a sense that they are entitled to some sort of recompense.

Also, does anyone else find it highly ironic that the Christian/Catholic religion preaches forgiveness and turning the other cheek as almost its highest principle?

But when it comes to stuff like this and other people living their lives the way they want, burn them all!!!!

Get on with living your lives the way you want and leave others to do the same. And don't be a bollox. Simple as.

This was made with the sole purpose of causing offence. I'm not RC so don't need to defend them.

How would you feel about me going out of my way to purposefully offend you. I'm sure there's something close to you that can be offended and upset you.
    Perhaps I should just accuse you or one of your family of rape. I'm sure you wouldn't mind

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

DqdJWlsWkAIb18Z.jpg

DqdJWlsWkAIb18Z.jpg

I find that deeply offensive and insulting to my faith, rang up Bridie over the road and she furiously nodded down the phone. Good parishioner that Bridie, even closer to God than I. Better go out of my way to advertise my disgust, starting with Joe Duffy on Monday afternoon. I'll control you heathens yet, just you wait and see.

I find that deeply offensive and insulting to my faith, rang up Bridie over the road and she furiously nodded down the phone. Good parishioner that Bridie, even closer to God than I. Better go out of my way to advertise my disgust, starting with Joe Duffy on Monday afternoon. I'll control you heathens yet, just you wait and see.

Careful now

I assume Joe Duffy is on his Christmas holidays? This would have made for a great liveline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Was Mary given a choice by God before he impregnated her? I cannot remember the story.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Acosta wrote: »
    I assume Joe Duffy is on his Christmas holidays? This would have made for a great liveline

I'd rather do a few laps backwards around lough derg on me knees than put meself through that.....

Was Mary given a choice by God before he impregnated her? I cannot remember the story.

If you hear noises tonight when you're in bed, don't be frightened. It's the sound of God trying to enter your life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

As I posted on another thread, Archbishop Martin and the other complainers probably never heard of Waterford Whispers until this sketch was broadcast on RTE. I doubt very much if any of them are followers on Twitter or know that it is satire.

As I posted on another thread, Archbishop Martin and the other complainers probably never heard of Waterford Whispers until this sketch was broadcast on RTE. I doubt very much if any of them are followers on Twitter or know that it is satire.

They cant be that stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

buckwheat wrote: »
    One from Ricky Gervais which sums up what I think about it. Apologies if already posted

Please stop saying "You can't joke about anything anymore". You can. You can joke about whatever the **** you like. And some people won't like it and they will tell you they don't like it. And then it's up to you whether you give a **** or not. And so on. It's a good system.

Ricky Gervais. Great lad.

His belly and arse are nearly as big as his ego.

The world renowned Waterford Whispers... imagine not hearing of that cutting edge comedy.

All the usual bitter anti Christian, anti Catholic suspects out.

Any excuse to prove how smart they are. Cue 100s of references to Fr. Ted. Look it was funny but it finished up a quarter of a century ago. And isn't that fcuking funny.

All the usual freedom of speech tools. No you can say what you like.

You can't call gay people ******s.. it's homophobic. Likewise any of you who are inducted into a job know there are 9 grounds of discrimination. One of these is religion. Belittling a person's core beliefs is just a form of bullying. Live and let live.

But you all want to trip over yourselves to be 'cool'. An archbishop has every bit as much right to speak as Panti Bliss, Jedward, Dr. Ciara Kelly etc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Any excuse to prove how smart they are. Cue 100s of references to Fr. Ted. Look it was funny but it finished up a quarter of a century ago. And isn't that fcuking funny.

You can't call gay people ******s.. it's homophobic. Likewise any of you who are inducted into a job know there are 9 grounds of discrimination. One of these is religion. Belittling a person's core beliefs is just a form of bullying. Live and let live.

But you all want to trip over yourselves to be 'cool'. An archbishop has every bit as much right to speak as Panti Bliss, Jedward, Dr. Ciara Kelly etc

Are you always this angry?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

The world renowned Waterford Whispers... imagine not hearing of that cutting edge comedy.

Probably more reading it every week than there are reading publications put out by the church every week

• Advertisement

6-9 generations back people died for their faith.

It's a whole lot more character and courage than most of ye could muster. Their faith carried them through the most horrendous of times.

Pretty bitter post.

No one has stopped the archbishop from speaking by the way or calling for him to be censored

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Probably more reading it every week than there are reading publications put out by the church every week

I doubt that on Worldwide basis. I'd say WW is huge in Sth America and Africa, South East Asia.

Talk about a stupid post. There are a billion Catholics in the world. You think WW has that reach?

6-9 generations back people died for their faith.

It's a whole lot more character and courage than most of ye could muster. Their faith carried them through the most horrendous of times.

6 - 9 generations back people died for their atheism too.
    And often at the hands of those courageous soldiers of christ

Also I bet you are not as brave as people from 6 generations ago either so whats your point exactly

I doubt that on Worldwide basis. I'd say WW is huge in Sth America and Africa, South East Asia.

Talk about a stupid post. There are a billion Catholics in the world. You think WW has that reach?

In Ireland obviously.

Didnt think Ide have to point that out but I forgot I was dealing with people who believe in ghosts and magic spells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

In the interests of fairness and equality will RTE will be running "a satire sketch" on the Pedophile Muhammad next week? Didn't think so either.

theguzman wrote: »
    In the interests of fairness and equality will RTE will be running "a satire sketch" on the Pedophile Muhammad next week? Didn't think so either.

No relevance to Ireland really.

We have been over this one on the first page and a million times since

Are you always this angry?

There's nothing wrong with anger when you're dealing with people who want to bully. Force their viewpoint on you.

Tell you NO you don't have the right to feel offended because I say so.

But LBGTQ have the right to be offended. People telling you they pick and choose who can and cannot be offended.

Anglican man who really saw the amount of small minded people in this country when the pope visited in 2018. Active campaign to boycott.

I'm angry this evening and very occasionally. But these anti Christians are BITTER.

There's nothing wrong with anger when you're dealing with people who want to bully. Force their viewpoint on you.

Tell you NO you don't have the right to feel offended because I say so.

But LBGTQ have the right to be offended. People telling you they pick and choose who can and cannot be offended.

Anglican man who really saw the amount of small minded people in this country when the pope visited in 2018. Active campaign to boycott.

I'm angry this evening and very occasionally. But these anti Christians are BITTER.

Above is the bit you just cant seem to grasp and it goes a long way to explaining why you dont get satire. A defender of the church crying because you think other people are trying to"Force their viewpoint on you"when that has been the churches M.O. since the year dot

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    6 - 9 generations back people died for their atheism too.
    And often at the hands of those courageous soldiers of christ

Also I bet you are not as brave as people from 6 generations ago either so whats your point exactly

As you mentioned in a later post this is Ireland. A whole lot more died for their faith than atheism here.

The archbishop was right to represent his people. Christians have a right to be offended like atheists, gay people.

What is it about belief in GOD that so threatens you?

Advertisement