Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Archbishop calls on RTÉ to remove 'blasphemous' clip

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,417 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

There's nothing wrong with anger when you're dealing with people who want to bully. Force their viewpoint on you.

Tell you NO you don't have the right to feel offended because I say so.

But LBGTQ have the right to be offended. People telling you they pick and choose who can and cannot be offended.

Anglican man who really saw the amount of small minded people in this country when the pope visited in 2018. Active campaign to boycott.

I'm angry this evening and very occasionally. But these anti Christians are BITTER.

I imagine you are too blinkered to see the irony of your post.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Above is the bit you just cant seem to grasp and it goes a long way to explaining why you dont get satire. A defender of the church crying because you think other people are trying to"Force their viewpoint on you"when that has been the churches M.O. since the year dot

They are trying to force their viewpoint that you can't feel offended. In as bad a way as ever the church did. As a Christian I have every right to feel offended with my God being called a pedophile. You don't get to judge who has a right to be offended.

I don't debate with people who think WW productions are more common than the Catholic Church.

You can't grasp anything logistical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As you mentioned in a later post this is Ireland. A whole lot more died for their faith than atheism here.

The archbishop was right to represent his people. Christians have a right to be offended like atheists, gay people.

What is it about belief in GOD that so threatens you?

Less dead and less killers too

Do you need a certain number of dead to be considered brave ?

I have never denied you the right to be offended or to speak I just think its dumb.

Im not threatened by belief in god I just think its dumb.

Its clearly the catholics crying about a sketch who feel their power threatened

I imagine you are too blinkered to see the irony of your post.

I imagine your intellect is lacking.

Less dead and less killers too

Do you need a certain number of dead to be considered brave ?

I have never denied you the right to be offended or to speak I just think its dumb.

Im not threatened by belief in god I just think its dumb.

Its clearly the catholics crying about a sketch who feel their power threatened

The Catholics power! Get real. Anglicans, Methodists are annoyed too.

• Advertisement

They are trying to force their viewpoint that you can't feel offended. In as bad a way as ever the church did. As a Christian I have every right to feel offended with my God being called a pedophile. You don't get to judge who has a right to be offended.

I don't debate with people who think WW productions are more common than the Catholic Church.

You can't grasp anything logistical.

The church locked up young girls for the perfectly normal act of sex before marriage. Then it beat and raped them
    It took young boys into its care and then beat and raped them on an industrial scale.
    Wars, crusades, the Spanish Inquisition.

Tell me what have WWN or any of their defenders done that is as bad as that

Who said you cant feel offended? Show me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6-9 generations back people died for their faith.

It's a whole lot more character and courage than most of ye could muster. Their faith carried them through the most horrendous of times.
    hang on, it hardly carried them through horrendous times if they died because of it?

I imagine your intellect is lacking.

Indeed.

And how do you allow Tommy Tiernan his own show on RTE given the joke he made abour Jesus on the Late Late show 2 decades ago which caused huge uproar. I recall he had to spend the night in RTE because of the angry mob outside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i am repeatedly bemused that *joking* about a deity impregnating someone against their will is somehow seen as more objectionable by the faithful than the actual concept of their deity impregnating someone against their will.

hang on, it hardly carried them through horrendous times if they died because of it?

Schroedinger's Catholic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,462 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

As you mentioned in a later post this is Ireland. A whole lot more died for their faith than atheism here.

The archbishop was right to represent his people. Christians have a right to be offended like atheists, gay people.

What is it about belief in GOD that so threatens you?

the archbishop was offended. So what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Indeed.

And how do you allow Tommy Tiernan his own show on RTE given the joke he made abour Jesus on the Late Late show 2 decades ago which caused huge uproar. I recall he had to spend the night in RTE because of the angry mob outside.

Any link to that joke

oh, i'd agree it was wrong place, wrong time.

Any link to that joke

Sorry no but this article gives an idea about the reaction in 1997.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/rte-finds-late-late-furore-far-from-funny-1.133607
    Joe Mulholland says there's no question of RTE imposing a ban on Tiernan. Jim Cantwell, director of the Catholic Press Office, outlines the horror so many religious people experienced. "There's no problem lampooning priests and bishops. They're public figures. But this mocked the very fundamentals of Christian faith. The phrase `the Lamb of God' is used to refer to Christ as the redeemer. The Crucifixion is central to the divinity of Christ and it was grotesquely mocked.
    Tiernan says. "RTE informed me they'd had over 300 calls. The people who couldn't get through on the phone drove out there. They were very upset and wanted to see me. I had to camp in the hospitality room. It was one in the morning before they all left."

Thankfully times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,022 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thankfully times have changed.

Reading this thread, apparently not :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Jheaney

I havent seen it has any one got a link

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

anyway, i am repeatedly bemused that *joking* about a deity impregnating someone against their will is somehow seen as more objectionable by the faithful than the actual concept of their deity impregnating someone against their will.

The reason God sent Jesus Christ into this world was to make mankind right with God. Mary found favour with God to bring him into the world and so she was chosen. Man is already sinful, which is why the holy spirit was used instead. Jesus was sinless and to this day is still the only hope that our sins can be forgiven rather than being cast down to hell like so many that have gone before us.

biko wrote: »
    It's kinda funny I think.
    Although Mary wasn't a migrant. She simply travelled with her husband from Nazareth to Bethlehem for a census. They then returned home again.

They fled persecution, into Egypt, from Herrod.

Not just migrants, refugees

The reason God sent Jesus Christ into this world was to make mankind right with God. Mary found favour with God to bring him into the world and so she was chosen. Man is already sinful, which is why the holy spirit was used instead. Jesus was sinless and to this day is still the only hope that our sins can be forgiven rather than being cast down to hell like so many that have gone before us.

Your answer to the question is 'Mary found favour'. Classic. :D

Please tell me you don't actually believe in 'hell'. Surely the Roman organisation isn't still pretending hell actually exists. Do they fill children's head with the hell nonsense still? If so, it's mental abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Unless of course you don't believe the story about the sky fairies - which seems to be most of us on this thread.

The catholic church and the religious oppressed most of the population in Ireland for years - didnt see them moaning about throwing the Tuam babies in a septic tank (they didn't deserve / need a catholic burial), or the inhuman treament / slave labour of the magdalene laundries And they still owe millions in compensation.

IMO they can just f*ck off with their indignation - I couldn't care less - the sonner these parasites are gone the better.

• Advertisement

Gave her a bit of the auld "holy spirit" too

Please tell me you don't actually believe in 'hell'. Surely the Roman organisation isn't still pretending hell actually exists. Do they fill children's head with the hell nonsense still? If so, it's mental abuse.

Hell is very real and a lot of people unfortunately are on their way there. Jesus spoke more about hell than about heaven, and if there is only one thing you do with the life God gave you, that is to get saved and avoid that place when your time of judgement comes.

Unless of course you don't believe the story about the sky fairies - which seems to be most of us on this thread.

The catholic church and the religious oppressed most of the population in Ireland for years - didnt see them moaning about throwing the Tuam babies in a septic tank (they didn't deserve / need a catholic burial), or the inhuman treament / slave labour of the magdalene laundries And they still owe millions in compensation.

IMO they can just f*ck off with their indignation - I couldn't care less - the sonner these parasites are gone the better.

Whether you choose to deny God or accept him, you will still have to face God's judgement. Trying to suppress God because of what man did won't stop God's wrath on all those that deny him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

You'd have to wonder what the hell is going on here.
    The state broadcaster is mocking the main religion in the country and portraying it as a big joke dragging God around a paddy wagon. But they will on the other hand vehemently defend and uphold the validity of all the other religious beliefs of mainly migrants into the country. What is going on

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭jhansynk10

Here's my take on it after watching the full clip on the RTE Player (not the shortened version being thrown about on social media).

The clip is using God as a means to highlight the extreme of the me too movement. Basically in this case the old bearded man in the sky is being prosecuted for sexually assaulting and impregnating the Virgin Mary. Subsequently the Irish courts are so inept at prosecuting sexual crime (which is an ongoing theme) that God gets off scot free with no jail time (2 years with the last 24 months suspended). After this we're told Harvey Weinstein wants to move his trial to Ireland because the justice system is so ineffective.

It's distasteful Satire but it's being used to highlight an extreme finger pointing and retrospective approach to alleged sexual harassment.

The hard right in this country will now weaponise this to call for the defunding and censor of RTE simply because the country doesn't represent the view of their members (this has already begun as a result of the vote on the 8th referendum). Watch as the Iona Institute and Gript media start their campaign against RTE again in the new year.

You'd have to wonder what the hell is going on here.
    The state broadcaster is mocking the main religion in the country and portraying it as a big joke dragging God around a paddy wagon. But they will on the other hand vehemently defend and uphold the validity of all the other religious beliefs of mainly migrants into the country. What is going on

You dont have to wonder. Seems obvious and above board to most outside of a few curtain twitchers and hell peddlers

jhansynk10 wrote: »
    Here's my take on it after watching the full clip on the RTE Player (not the shortened version being thrown about on social media).

The clip is using God as a means to highlight the extreme of the me too movement. Basically in this case the old bearded man in the sky is being prosecuted for sexually assaulting and impregnating the Virgin Mary. Subsequently the Irish courts are so inept at prosecuting sexual crime (which is an ongoing theme) that God gets off scot free with no jail time (2 years with the last 24 months suspended). After this we're told Harvey Weinstein wants to move his trial to Ireland because the justice system is so ineffective.

It's distasteful Satire but it's being used to highlight an extreme finger pointing and retrospective approach to alleged sexual harassment.

The hard right in this country will now weaponise this to call for the defunding and censor of RTE simply because the country doesn't represent the view of their members (this has already begun as a result of the vote on the 8th referendum). Watch as the Iona Institute and Gript media start their campaign against RTE again in the new year.

Why is God being used as a joke for entertainment? We know God is real, we know Satan control's this world and we know hell is a real place that many souls will be cast down to when their time is up. This is not funny or any way appropriate.

Why is God being used as a joke for entertainment? We know God is real, we know Satan control's this world and we know hell is a real place that many souls will be cast down to when their time is up.

Your head must be a very crowded place.

You dont have to wonder. Seems obvious and above board to most outside of a few curtain twitchers and hell peddlers

Well it isn't to me and I don't have a curtain nor am I a believer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,022 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Whether you choose to deny God or accept him, you will still have to face God's judgement. Trying to suppress God because of what man did won't stop God's wrath on all those that deny him.

People who don't believe in the great genocidal magical sky fairy tend to also not believe in his day of judgement...

Advertisement