Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Placing House Name on Home

Options
  • 02-01-2021 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

I would be very grateful of your help here please.

I am hoping to place a house name on my home but I have been unable to find concrete advice online as to how to go about it.

I want to be able to have the official address changed accordingly within whatever database(s) is/are used such that the house name is added to the address attached to my Eircode details. Does anyone know if it is An Post I contact, or is there another body that would be connected to overseeing postal database changes.

Thanks very much in advance.

Best wishes for the year ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭No Bills

From the Eircode FAQs section:
    There is no one official address for any location in Ireland and many versions of address exist for each location such as geographic, postal, electoral, or historical.

There are two different types of address displayed on the Eircode Finder.

Geographic address: This is an address that describes the physical location of an address point using geographic details such as street / road names, townlands / areas / cities, and county details.

Postal address: This is the address that is created and assigned by An Post and is what they recommend for the purpose of mail delivery. Postal addresses may include a post town or county that is not part of the geographic address as it is based on the route mail travels to arrive at the location.

Both of these addresses are provided to us by An Post GeoDirectory and we cannot amend or change these addresses unless instructed to do so by them.

We recommend that you carry on using the address you normally use and simply add the Eircode to the end.

You will need to contact Geodirectory to amend the address on their database:
    From the Geodirectory FAQs:
    The spelling of my house name is incorrect how do I change this?
    Please submit the address as it currently appears and your proposed change via our contact us form and we will investigate your query further. Please be aware that address queries can take from a few weeks to a few months to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Get a plaque made, fix it to your house. Use it on future correspondence. Your house is identified by your eircode so it doesn't really matter whether the house name is on it.

Presumably you have a non-unique address and want something more specific than the 'choose from this list' option that eircode offers. They have a link on the website https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode where presumably you could get them to adjust your address to include the house name.
    If your property has been in existence for many years and you cannot find it on the Eircode Finder, please get in touch with our contact centre and they will be happy to help you. You can contact Eircode either by submitting a query or contact us on 0818 300 005.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Heavens, I have just realised how many ways there are to access or get info about eircodes! Or indeed fail to get information. What a ridiculous muddle of contacts/sites/facts/info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

looksee wrote: »
    Get a plaque made, fix it to your house. Use it on future correspondence. Your house is identified by your eircode so it doesn't really matter whether the house name is on it.

Presumably you have a non-unique address and want something more specific than the 'choose from this list' option that eircode offers. They have a link on the website https://www.eircode.ie/getting-an-eircode where presumably you could get them to adjust your address to include the house name.

Exactly this.
    When we bought our house 6 years ago our address was the town name and county, nothing more, so we got a plaque made with the name we'd chosen, attached it to our house and began using it, that was it nothing more.
    Having it match your eircode doesn't really matter, your eircode is tied to your house regardless of the address details.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 csonb20

Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful help. I really appreciate it. I've just contacted GeoDirectory. I will also set about having a plaque made and affixed to the front of our house. Best wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

csonb20 wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful help. I really appreciate it. I've just contacted GeoDirectory. I will also set about having a plaque made and affixed to the front of our house. Best wishes.

Did you ever hear back from GeoDirectory? I'm interested in doing something similar myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 csonb20

murt101 wrote: »
    Did you ever hear back from GeoDirectory? I'm interested in doing something similar myself.

As a matter of fact, I heard back from them approx. 2 weeks ago. They fulfilled my request no problem. It took them a number of weeks to get back to me, so be prepared for the wait. They passed the information onto Eircode, who have yet to implement the update (to take place within the next few weeks). I submitted my request through https://www.geodirectory.ie/get-in-touch

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

Thanks for the update. I've submitted my info, hopefully it'll go okay too.

Advertisement