Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work camera antenna question

Options
  • 02-01-2021 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi.

I have a friend who wants to monitor a heating panel in a barn a bit away from house. No Wi-Fi signal.

Is it possible to run a fairly length cable from a Wi-Fi cameras antenna so that it's in the house.

If so, how long can it be before signal is lost?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi.

I have a friend who wants to monitor a heating panel in a barn a bit away from house. No Wi-Fi signal.

Is it possible to run a fairly length cable from a Wi-Fi cameras antenna so that it's in the house.

Thanks.

100 meters if the cable quality is high enough I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable#Maximum_length

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aunty kitty

Thanks.

Or to cut out the middleman, is it possible to plug the camera directly into the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Is there line of site between the premises with the router and the barn ?

If so you could set up Nano stations and then a Wifi network in the actual barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Thanks.

Or to cut out the middleman, is it possible to plug the camera directly into the router?

Depends on the camera and the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Hi.

Thanks.

You appear to be confusing a wired camera with a WiFi enabled camera. Is the camera capable of both?

• Advertisement

I haven't gotten a camera yet. My first thought was a longer antenna cable to bring the antenna to the wifi.

Then I thought why bother with Wi-Fi if it can be plugged directly into the router.

So I'm thinking this, a long Ethernet cable and a poe injector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection-RLC-410-5MP/dp/B07C75C47B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I haven't gotten a camera yet. My first thought was a longer antenna cable to bring the antenna to the wifi.

Then I thought why bother with Wi-Fi if it can be plugged directly into the router.

So I'm thinking this, a long Ethernet cable and a poe injector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reolink-Surveillance-Waterproof-Detection-RLC-410-5MP/dp/B07C75C47B

If 100 meters Lan cable is possible, go with it. You can then get a poe injector to network your camera or if you think more cameras will be deployed then buy a network switch with POE built in. If you want wifi there, then put in a router as an AP.

If cable is not possible use Nano stations to create the network from the house to the barn. I assume both are on different electric boards to powerline adapters are out.

Thanks for all the replies.

By power line adaptors, do you mean the things that plug into the power sockets? I was never really sure that they worked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Thanks for all the replies.

By power line adaptors, do you mean the things that plug into the power sockets? I was never really sure that they worked?

Yes thats them. The shed and the house would need to be on the same board. Its an easy way to connect to another spot. You will lose some speed but it would work if this is possible for you

Advertisement