Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Transfer

• 02-01-2021 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all. I wish to transfer €20,000 to each of my two adult children. The source of the money is from a life insurance policy that was paid directly to me. I have my children set up as payees on my bank account. Is it simply a case of logging into my account and transferring them the money? My banking app says my daily transfer limit is more than the €20,000 I wish to send. TIA.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 113 ✭✭Dunfyy

They have to pay gift tax after 3000 euros
    Bank is expensive to transfer money look up money transfer companys

Xtorfx. Or Currencies direct never used them
    There are others look up how much the other person gets after hidden fees

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Uncle Buckley

Dunfyy wrote: »

Thanks, I was under the belief my kids would not have to pay tax on the money. I thought they each had an allowance of up €335,000 tax free from money/assets transferred from myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

The bank is not usually expensive to transfer money in the same currency. With PTSB, an in branch Swift transfer is 50c. An online transfer from your own account could cost nothing, depending on if you have fee free banking or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks, I was under the belief my kids would not have to pay tax on the money. I thought they each had an allowance of up €335,000 tax free from money/assets transferred from myself.

Correct.

Well that is a lifetime allowance for all Group A gifts/inheritances.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/cat-thresholds-rates-and-aggregation-rules/index.aspx

It would seem my children would only have to make a declaration (an IT38) to Revenue if the the sum I was giving them came within 80% of the €335,000 allowance or exceeded the €335,000.

This is the first time I have given my children a significant sum of money but I doubt my assets will ever give them more than €335,000 each (or the remaining €315,000 after this).

As a side question, do Revenue just depend on people being honest with them in declarations when working out how much Capital Acquisitions Tax is liable if assets you leave to your children exceed €335,000?

We are all resident in ireland with irish bank accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not sure if it is just honesty. More fear! If ever a person was audited and it turned out they had not declared, they would face stiff penalties and fines. But, as you already know, they only declare as they approach the limit). Anyway, 20K is relatively tiny in the world of gift/inheritance tax between parents/children. Typically the large amounts are when it comes to actual inheritance (house/farm/business etc).

With regards transferring the money. Its quite simple to do through your online banking. Other than a cap for security reasons (which you say is over the 20K), there's no difference between transferring €20 and €20,000. It's just a standard SEPA transfer.

You can ignore the first reply above as it is all wrong. The most you'll be charged is a few cent (whatever your normal bank charges are if you don't have free banking).

dotsman wrote: »
    Not sure if it is just honesty. More fear! If ever a person was audited and it turned out they had not declared, they would face stiff penalties and fines. But, as you already know, they only declare as they approach the limit). Anyway, 20K is relatively tiny in the world of gift/inheritance tax between parents/children. Typically the large amounts are when it comes to actual inheritance (house/farm/business etc).

With regards transferring the money. Its quite simple to do through your online banking. Other than a cap for security reasons (which you say is over the 20K), there's no difference between transferring €20 and €20,000. It's just a standard SEPA transfer.

You can ignore the first reply above as it is all wrong. The most you'll be charged is a few cent (whatever your normal bank charges are if you don't have free banking).

Thanks. I don't have a business or farm. My only other asset is my home. It seems it would have to sell for well over €600,000 after taking the €20,000 cash into account for my children to become liable for CAT. It would do well to sell for half that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They have to pay gift tax after 3000 euros.....

Where did you get that notion from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Literally everything in that post is wrong. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is it simply a case of logging into my account and transferring them the money?.

Yes
    My banking app says my daily transfer limit is more than the €20,000 I wish to send. TIA.

But you mentioned two payments of 20k so if there is a daily limit of (e.g.) 30k, this could be an aggregate limit. In which you’d just need to do the two transfers on different days. And if you want to avoid family misunderstandings, just do them on both sides of midnight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement