Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to get a dog

• 02-01-2021 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi all
    Can anyone please advise
    I never had a pet but kids really want one
    Confused but i would love the idea of smallest funny furry pet that hardly grows big
    Hearing ****zu or teacup Pomeranian should do best for kids
    Can anyone suggest how easy to maintain and feed and potty train?
    What to look at and best price

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

Just for info, you won’t get a reputable breeder selling “tea cup” breeds.

Personally, I wouldn’t get a dog just because the kids asked for one as they often have no idea what goes into caring for them and it ends up being the parents that do in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A lot of small breeds such as chihuahuas and yorkies etc can be very fragile and not suitable for homes with boisterous younger children as they can be very easily hurt. So called ‘Teacup’ dogs are bred from runts and is only done by unscrupulous people. They can come with some very expensive to treat veterinary issues so beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭memomtoo

Oh no didnt even think that way at all
    Think boys are gentle and i might wish to help them littlebit too as long as they are happy with cuddles

But smallest cute furry one i would love
    But where can we find best breeds

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's possible that I'm misreading it but I can't help feeling that you're looking for a toy rather than an animal.
    My instinct is saying to me that you should not get a dog, especially a delicate one that, as has been mentioned, won't withstand young boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

memomtoo wrote: »
    Oh no didnt even think that way at all
    Think boys are gentle and i might wish to help them littlebit too as long as they are happy with cuddles

But where can we find best breeds

Hmm I think OP a another animal might be best .. have you considered a gerbil? Hamster? (Depends on ages)
    What age are your kids?

There is no such thing as a small cute best breed.. all dogs are different and have different personalities (with some breed tendencies) and needs (stimulation, exercise etc)

Honestly OP be under no illusion.. depending on your kids ages .. the animal will no be theirs but belong to you and the majority of feeding, cleaning, walking, and training will rest with you .. it will be your pet ðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

cocker5 wrote: »
    Hmm I think OP a another animal might be best .. have you considered a gerbil? Hamster? (Depends on ages)
    What age are your kids?

There is no such thing as a small cute best breed.. all dogs are different and have different personalities (with some breed tendencies) and needs (stimulation, exercise etc)

Honestly OP be under no illusion.. depending on your kids ages .. the animal will no be theirs but belong to you and the majority of feeding, cleaning, walking, and training will rest with you .. it will be your pet ðŸ‘

OP, listen to this advice. You’re the adult and no matter way you try to phrase it or no matter how much your kids say they’ll look after the dog, you will be responsible for it. You’ll have to feed it (extra cost every month), groom it (fluffy small dogs can be hard work on that end), make sure it’s walked regularly, get its vaccinations, keep an eye out for any health issues and ensure it’s properly trained. Your kids will probably be interested for the first few days but you’ll be taking on a responsibility that will last years.

Don’t become one of those people that gets a puppy and gives it up after a couple of months or a year because it’s harder than you expected and the kids aren’t helping. It’s not fair on the dog.

It really doesn’t sound like a pet is right for you and your family. Even hamsters and gerbils can be hard work. You need to want the dog and accept everything that comes with it. A small dog isn’t much less work just because it’s small. It’s just as much work but in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

As a dog owner I would say to consider things carefully. There is quite a bit of looking after in a dog and kids can lose interest which leaves everything to you. As well as the everyday stuff if you decide to go out for the day or on holiday plans must be made not to mention bills. Our lady got out one day and got hit by a car. She needed surgery which wasn't cheap but in a way we were lucky the car kept going or we could have been facing another bill.

Think carefully OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

OP - heed all this advice.
    I would suggest fostering from a rescue. You'll know after a couple of weeks if a dog is for you.
    But there is actually a shortage of small dogs in the rescues at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

What age are you, OP?

I only ask because I'm worried about your ability to care for the dog. You don't seem to realise what pet ownership entails at all.

Like, a dog is an animal with a personality. Your ability to intuit how it's feeling and empathise with it is very important to keeping it healthy, looked after, well behaved. It seems like you just want something that you can pay attention to when you're in the mood and ignore the rest of the time.

You might think a small dog would be perfect for that sort of neglect but I can tell you now, dogs won't put up with that. Small dogs are just as liable as big ones to bite back when you're not interested.

Fair warning, sorry if it comes off as tough love but I have the creeps reading your posts because it's obvious what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

It might be worth looking at a Bichon Frise. They are a lovely small dog and should be good with kids.

• Advertisement

Like, a dog is an animal with a personality. Your ability to intuit how it's feeling and empathise with it is very important to keeping it healthy, looked after, well behaved. It seems like you just want something that you can pay attention to when you're in the mood and ignore the rest of the time.

This is 100% true. We have two dogs and the six year old will still look to play with you for an hour a day minimum. We expected her to grow out of needing that much playtime, but six years on and she’ll bark until you listen that it’s time for her to be played with. She’s a small dog but quite active and needs a lot of interaction and stimulation. Sometimes it’s a pain when you just want to relax but animals have their wants and needs as well, and it’s up to you to ensure they’re well cared for.

And the poster who mentioned holidays is 100% spot on. You and the kids can’t just stay over at a family members house, or stay out for hours on end at weekends. You need to be there for that dog. There can’t be any spontaneous trips or weekends away as you’ll always need to factor in a dog sitter. It completely changes how you plan your life and it’s a commitment for the entirety of the dogs life.

If you do go for a dog, as another poster said a Bichon would be a good choice, but you’re looking at spending about €50 every six weeks on grooming them, plus brushing them yourself pretty much every evening. They can be quite prone to allergies from my experience as well so you might need special food for them (otherwise they can get extremely itchy and require more regular vet trips). Mine went through having a lot of ear infections for a while and used to visit the vet every month for almost a year until we found the right food and removed all other allergens.

Yester wrote: »
    It might be worth looking at a Bichon Frise. They are a lovely small dog and should be good with kids.

They are also notoriously difficult to house train. My sister has one and he is still toileting in the house at the age of three. He goes for rugs especially.

They are also notoriously difficult to house train. My sister has one and he is still toileting in the house at the age of three. He goes for rugs especially.

They can be easier to train if neutered/spayed, but I 100% agree. Our peed on the corners of the skirting boards so much it warped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

My Son wanted a dog from the time he could talk. After 25 years we eventually got one last year as the kids are now adults and I just would not have the time to give the dog all the care and attention it needed and deserved. We got the dog about 7 months ago and we have all put in a huge amount of time, more than I had thought.

I wouldn't change a thing and he is a member of the family now but it would not have been possible to give the time and attention before now.

Unless you are really prepared to put the time and effort into the dog then it would not be fair on the dog.

Glad I waited as it is most rewarding but hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

When choosing a dog as already stressed here you need to consider the personality/characteristics of the dog type, their specific needs and whether your set up is compatible with both. Choosing a dog based on looks seems silly - you can get a teddy bear for that.
    Adopting a dog (once you are SURE you understand all that is involved in dog ownership, and that it’s you that is responsible for the animal not your children) is a good thing to do, to give a home to a dog that needs one.

Definitely agree
    This is the reason i took so many years but trust me these days i atleast watch funny videos and feel so exited to have such a company
    At same heard a lot that they become anti depressants naturally with that funny behaviors
    I understand what it takes to keep a little life with us
    Budgies already leading a happy life but i know a dog takes it more and absolutely welcome the efforts to put

Definitely i cannot manage a big sized dog

YellowLead wrote: »
    When choosing a dog as already stressed here you need to consider the personality/characteristics of the dog type, their specific needs and whether your set up is compatible with both. Choosing a dog based on looks seems silly - you can get a teddy bear for that.
    Adopting a dog (once you are SURE you understand all that is involved in dog ownership, and that it’s you that is responsible for the animal not your children) is a good thing to do, to give a home to a dog that needs one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If it's just a small cute little dog to post photos on social media then think twice and then forget it.
    A dog is for life - it's not just a saying.

You need to realise that you will be responsible for the dog. You will walk him, feed him etc.
    Yes kids are great with dogs but their attention span is limited and their ability to walk him, feed him, take him to the vet etc is outside their responsibility as such.

If you're really considering a dog then foster or adopt a rescue. Do your homework on what's needed. Be prepared for some work and effort.

They are so worth it and are fabulous family members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

King Charles

Not the sharpest tools in the shed but great dogs great with children

No allergies either

Kids are 9 and 5
    So i think they are gentle enough to handle but because im prepared mentally im more confident now
    But need to learn a lot i know

Which smaller breeds are extremely friendly and easy to manage?
    And who are good sellers in ireland?
    cocker5 wrote: »
    What age are your kids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Kids are 9 and 5
    So i think they are gentle enough to handle but because im prepared mentally im more confident now
    But need to learn a lot i know

Which smaller breeds are extremely friendly and easy to manage?
    And who are good sellers in ireland?

King Charles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Please adopt ! There are lots of dogs looking for a home.

If you approach a reputable rescue or breeder and tell them you want the smallest, cute, furry one because you watched funny videos and feel excited to have such company they will not take you seriously and will file your enquiry in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

We waited 14years to get a dog. Our youngest child is 7 and I’m so glad I waited and didn’t get one when the kids were younger
    We got a medium sized dog who was an absolute nightmare for biting at the beginning
    I had these visions of my children and the puppy playing happily together- the reality is our puppy was like a terrorist around the house and everyone of us has been bitten so many times, bites that broke the skin while he was teething
    Getting a puppy is seriously like having another child. They are like toddlers that can run really fast with super sharp teeth
    Also be prepared for the separation anxiety if I even go upstairs to go to the bathroom he’s downstairs crying.
    We love him to death, he’s currently snuggled up next to me but the reality is he is hard work and having one takes a lot of dedication with regards to training them

What level of grooming are you prepared to do? Are you willing to pay €50 every 6 weeks to have the dog professionally groomed? How far will you walk the dog every day? How much training are you prepared to do every day?

Owning a dog is not comparable to owning a budgie, it’s comparable to having a baby that doesn’t wear nappies, runs around and chews your furniture and the kids toys if they are not put away.

I'd suggest starting with something like this;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,026 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Some of the comments are not needed.

It's not about the message that needs to be delivered sometimes, but how its delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Granadino wrote: »
    Please adopt ! There are lots of dogs looking for a home.

No there is not, unless you want a big breed or really old dog.

We picked up a Cavapoo a couple of months ago, its a mix of King Charles and poodle. They are a lovely mix and hardy enough for small boys, my kids are 10 & 6 and have great fun with her. Great temperament with the right levels of energy to be fun but not overly demanding. So far she is easy to train, they love treats so training is quite easy and we are nearly there with house training.

krissovo wrote: »
    No there is not, unless you want a big breed or really old dog.

Sorry but that’s just not true. I can’t understand why you would pay for a dog. There are associations abroad who will rehome dogs to Ireland. These have so many dogs of all sizes and ages looking for another chance in life. But if folk want to pay for a fancy breed then best of luck to them too. I can’t advise there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

OP

I'm fully in favour of people getting a dog when it suits their life and they can give the dog the love, care and attention they need.

If your kids are under 6 or so I'd be inclined to wait. Kids need a lot of time & attention as do dogs..... especially a puppy.

I would urge you to talk to rescues first, but if you have younger kids I wouldn't hold your breath waiting on them to get back to you.

Somebody else said to look at fostering...great start if you can get selected to do it.

Think about the cost. I paid roughly 140 EUR for first year shots...plus another 40e to be chipped. Then food, bedding toys, chew sticks, training treats, collar, lead, harness poo bags etc etc. All adds up.

Then think about how busy your life is and how you can fit in another (at least) hour of exercise & play time a day on top of what you already do. And for a puppy sleepless nights the first couple of months.

Once you've gotten your head around all that and are still eager then research breeds. Try talk with owners about the dogs and how they behave.

As for breeds looked at Cavalier King Charles, Maltese, Bichon Frise, Pug, Border Terrier, French bulldog. Research them and their good & bad sides.

Most of all good luck with the new dog (when you get it) :)

I just had a look and there are several rescues around Dublin and Ireland with small dogs waiting to be adopted so don’t mind whoever tells you otherwise.
    Fostering would be a good first step as previous poster recommended.

I just had a look and there are several rescues around Dublin and Ireland with small dogs waiting to be adopted so don’t mind whoever tells you otherwise.
    Fostering would be a good first step as previous poster recommended.

It's very hard to get a small dog.

Up to 300 applications for each one.

Puppies are extremely difficult.

I'm looking for 9 months now.

anewme wrote: »
    It's very hard to get a small dog.

Up to 300 applications for each one.

Puppies are extremely difficult.

I'm looking for 9 months now.

There are orgs overseas too with dogs. <snip> in Spain for example

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Definitely i cannot manage a big sized dog

I'm confused as to why you say you can't manage a big dog but think you can manage a small one? There isn't that much difference between the sizes in terms of their needs and the responsibility. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean you don't need to spend as much time on it.

I've a seven kilo dog who demands much of my attention, and requires twice daily exercise (once vigorous). I don't get to ignore her needs because is small. She also costs just as much in veterinary bills - vets don't give discounts based on size. Neither do boarding kennels or pet sitters.

Not trying to be smart but you seem to think small dogs are less work but it isn't true.

What level of grooming are you prepared to do? Are you willing to pay €50 every 6 weeks to have the dog professionally groomed? How far will you walk the dog every day? How much training are you prepared to do every day?

Owning a dog is not comparable to owning a budgie, it’s comparable to having a baby that doesn’t wear nappies, runs around and chews your furniture and the kids toys if they are not put away.

Definitely ill be prepared for all that
    I work so can afford for another baby

All we want to cuddles too
    Thats the reason i started researching on everything
    Really thanks for all headsup
    But still confused when checking online sellers
    Whats the best thing to check first and what to prepare with
    And how much its gonna cost
    Example someone advertised for 2500e for pomeranian puppy
    Someone for 1500 what could be so different
    Whom to trust best

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    I'm confused as to why you say you can't manage a big dog but think you can manage a small one? There isn't that much difference between the sizes in terms of their needs and the responsibility. Just because a dog is small doesn't mean you don't need to spend as much time on it.

I've a seven kilo dog who demands much of my attention, and requires twice daily exercise (once vigorous). I don't get to ignore her needs because is small. She also costs just as much in veterinary bills - vets don't give discounts based on size. Neither do boarding kennels or pet sitters.

Not trying to be smart but you seem to think small dogs are less work but it isn't true.

Really own wish that i would prefer a small pet and understand the fact that we have to take same effort though
    Each are different and each have different choices so i prefer small furry type for home and for us

Sorry but that’s just not true. I can’t understand why you would pay for a dog. There are associations abroad who will rehome dogs to Ireland. These have so many dogs of all sizes and ages looking for another chance in life. But if folk want to pay for a fancy breed then best of luck to them too. I can’t advise there.
    Oh dear!
    Please read again
    No need to scare people if someone conveyed an interest
    I didnt even know they can be adopted from somewhere as I mentioned im new to dogs
    Being a mother of two kids, I understand the value of another life but i need to learn about it too and get encouraged but not discouraged please

Please do not buy a dog from online sellers, they are not reputable. Contact the breed club of the breed you are interested in. Be aware that very few reputable breeders have puppies now because of COVID restrictions. There are very long waiting lists. You may have to wait up to two years. I’m not sure how much reputable sellers sell pomeranians for but it will be in the region of €600 - €800

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Max H

Going to say this. I hate the term we want cuddles. A dog is a live animal not a fashion addition. From experience of over 30 years of owning dogs. They can be a pain in the arse. They can wreck your house, they can cost you a fortune, they can tie you down, so you cannot just do something at short notice. They can break your heart. So if you are prepared to put up with that for up to 10-15 years depending on the breed. Do your research, research the breeder, visit their premises ( difficult at the moment) so best NOT to get a dog during lockdown. If a breeder won't let you visit and see the premises and the litter and living conditions. Walk away. Oh and we got our 4th GSD pup in October from the same breeder we have gone back too in 30 years. For all the negatives if you do it right, you will never look back

https://www.ikc.ie/dog-ownership/types-of-dog/breeds/breed-details/179

I would advise getting someone to call who has a good command of the English language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whom to trust best

Its not just the money, its the time commitment. A dog needs to be walked - often twice a day. That means no matter how wet or cold it is, no matter what is on tv you want to watch or if you don't feel like it. It really is like taking care of a small child only one that will never grow up. It really sounds like you want a living doll for your kids and haven't really seen beyond the cuteness to what work actually goes into looking after a pet.

There are orgs overseas too with dogs. <snip> in Spain for example

It's true. There is a shortage of small dogs. Any that come in to the shelters over here are snapped up. Huge waiting lists as a previous poster said.
    Do you know how much it is to rescue from abroad? I don't actually know .
    A friend who is in the UK is importing a rescue from Cyprus. I must ask her how much it's costing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

As fast as the new lockdown came in, within 30 minutes, I got numerous requests for puppies. Still getting 3/4 a day now and people have no issue contacting me at all hours of the night either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Why is it every thread someone starts has dog owners on their high horse telling new and first time dog owners they don't know how or don't have the time to have a dog. There must be over half the houses on my road have young families and dogs and they're all fine.

Whom to trust best

Maybe ask to see the mother, so you know the pup wasn't farmed. Beyond that I don't know. I've never paid for a dog.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    Why is it every thread someone starts has dog owners on their high horse telling new and first time dog owners they don't know how or don't have the time to have a dog. There must be over half the houses on my road have young families and dogs and they're all fine.

Well maybe when the poster seems to only be interested in a dog "for cuddles" that sets off alarm bells? I wouldn't so much call it a high horse than trying to prevent yet another dog being turfed out when reality hits and OP realises it isn't a hamster.

Memomtoo - Do NOT buy from online sites. Many of these people are selling dogs from cruel puppy farms, and may end up having behavioural or medical issues from the word go.
    Someone posted earlier that you may be waiting years to get the exact pup you want from a reputable breeder.
    I would contact a few rescues and get your name on some waiting lists. Tell them your situation and what kind of dog you're interested in. I know <snip> are currently fostering them first to see if the dog is suitable instead of just giving them up for adoption. Maybe a lot of the other rescues are doing that also.

Cavalier King Charles, Shih Tzu, Maltese, Bichon Frise, Pug, Miniature Poodle, French Bulldog, Daschund are suitable small breeds when it comes to kids.

When I was a child, pre school age myself and my dad came across a man with a Polaroid camera and a monkey dressed in clothes. He was charging people a few quid to have their picture taken with the monkey. I asked my dad if he was selling the monkey. Without hesitation my dad asked the man ‘how much for the monkey’. My dad was the sort of person when it came to animals he thought any kind of pet was a good idea without thinking about it’s care or how much cleaning up after it is needed. I am quite sure that neither myself, a pre school age child or my dad were capable of taking care of that monkey and I eternally grateful that the man refused to sell it to us. The OP here has no experience of dogs and talks about wanting the smallest, cutest, furry one, watching funny videos and wanting cuddles. In all honesty, if you were in charge of finding suitable homes for a litter of pups given the fact that there is currently no shortage of people offering homes, would you chose the OP?

People are just trying to make sure she understands the seriousness and responsibility of such a decision. A new puppy in the house can be quite a shock to the system and there is no harm in trying to prepare someone for that.

I don't frequent this page regularly on boards so I can't comment on that.
    I imagine that people were concerned about the OP's reasons for wanting to adopt.

Talk to any of the main rescues and ask them how many dogs are dumped into their shelters in January/February after the novelty of a new pup wears off after Christmas!

https://www.ikc.ie/dog-ownership/types-of-dog/breeds/breed-details/179

I would advise getting someone to call who has a good command of the English language.

That’s a bit harsh and unfair . English may not be the posters first language. Does not mean they won’t love the dog.

I’m shocked at the tone of many of the posts here towards the OP.

Fair enough, people may feel the poster may not be ready for a dog, but the tone and posting a link a toy diog saying get this instead , are nothing short of bullying.

The OP has been polite in their posts and deserves to be respected in return.

• Advertisement
Advertisement