Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clipless shoes

• 02-01-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for clipess mtb shoes - preferably SPD?

Was forced to switch back from flats to clipless after a pedal malfunction and well my old spd shoes weight a ton and would like to update!

Anyone recommend anything that won't break the bank and aren't 100% XC so that can actually walk on a muddy trail if needed?! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'll answer this with the caveat that I'm back on flats at present but i had been using a pair of Shimano am7's and couldn't fault them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've been using Giro Rumble with SPD. Able to run up the side of the hill with them without issue. Not stiff or solid but they've held up for over a year and are not insanely priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Alkers

CramCycle wrote: »
    I've been using Giro Rumble with SPD. Able to run up the side of the hill with them without issue. Not stiff or solid but they've held up for over a year and are not insanely priced

They look decent, how do you find the laces? I'm running an old pair of shimano SPD mtb shoes but vouched that my next pair wouldn't have laces.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Alkers wrote: »
    They look decent, how do you find the laces? I'm running an old pair of shimano SPD mtb shoes but vouched that my next pair wouldn't have laces.

I got laces on a pair of road shoes about 2 years ago and swore I'd never go back to straps of boas or anything else like that. Experience has taught me that different brands of laces hold the knot either better or worse. The Giro ones hold it well. I got rid of the other types because they kept getting caught in things and wrecking expensive shoes before they were worn through.

This said, I am not doing anything too technical, mainly easy enough trails, so maybe they might work for me but not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Do you know that Boa do a free replacement service?

Just need a photo of the item they are in.

I use specialized shoes, really comfy for my wide feet (even have spd on my road bike with them) and last well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Shimano ME7 are good. Size up a bit as they are small fit. Good grips for mud, comfy. Better than the AM7's I had before

Advertisement