Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Douglas

Options
  • 02-01-2021 6:46pm

Does anyone know when its opening, thought it was supposed to be November. There is a construction wide problem with materials so guessing that may be it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

My guess would be that it will be open by the end of February but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

nicest aldi ive ever seen. the brick work stopped for a while but has resumed

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Ya looks good, Road seems to have been widened also. I saw Some good Photos on Skyscraper City, Cork Metro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ya looks good, Road seems to have been widened also. I saw Some good Photos on Skyscraper City, Cork Metro.

Traffic congestion there is just going to be worse though, planners can't get it right

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Traffic congestion there is just going to be worse though, planners can't get it right

I think the lack of expertise in Urban planning is showing with the absolute mess that the County Council's planning department have made of Douglas.

While it will continue in the likes of Carrigaline, Midleton, Mallow etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have to agree. I was down that way at around December 21st and between shoppers hitting Dunnes, Tesco, etc to begin the Christmas grocery shopping combined with the schools finishing time the place was nuts. I'm well aware Douglas turns into a car park at the best of times but the location of this Aldi can only make things worse.

I have to agree. I was down that way at around December 21st and between shoppers hitting Dunnes, Tesco, etc to begin the Christmas grocery shopping combined with the schools finishing time the place was nuts. I'm well aware Douglas turns into a car park at the best of times but the location of this Aldi can only make things worse.
    Crossed my mind immediately I heard of it, there's too many shops there as it is, as in normal times I have to pass through it for the kids training it's a nightmare to get to the well road from the Carrigaline direction

kub wrote: »
    I think the lack of expertise in Urban planning is showing with the absolute mess that the County Council's planning department have made of Douglas.

While it will continue in the likes of Carrigaline, Midleton, Mallow etc.

Living in Carrigaline and honestly it's beyond a nightmare at times ref traffic congestion, road planners need to be retrained

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Might be the sheer number of cars rather than the location of shops that's the bigger issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

People in cars giving out about traffic!

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »

I wasn't in a car at the time but yes, naturally if there are roads then cars tend to use them. Also, you might find if there is a concentration of shops then said roads may become congested as a result of bad planning.

Finally, bear in mind some people may be driving to their homes in Douglas village (from other places), shock horror.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Might be the sheer number of cars rather than the location of shops that's the bigger issue.

It was the same local authority that gave planning permission to the developers of all those now thousands of houses up in the hills around Douglas Village and indeed the planning permission for those shops.

Mardyke wrote: »

To think that people might have to use a car to get their weekly shopping, how strange in this country with our beautiful and ideal weather.

To think that people might have to use a car to get their weekly shopping, how strange in this country with our beautiful and ideal weather.

Maybe if our devoted co council had in their wisdom made a few extra park and rides more ppl would leave the car behind at times, I do, but I still have to have drive from carrigaline to the park n ride

The bad congestion happens twice a day at rush hour, not many are doing their weekly shop. It's people passing through the area, not stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Douglas village is an ugly concrete jungle as it is. There's two big supermarkets within a few minutes of each other and already an Aldi plus a Super Valu a few minutes drive up the road in Grange. The local authorities job when it comes to planning in Cork seems to be little more than basically saying yes when a developer comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Douglas is a hole at this stage. There was a Lidl planned for the village as well that got the go ahead from the County Council. Thankfully ABP shot it down. The county council have ruined Douglas with ridiculous levels of over-development. The Aldi site would be ideal as a town centre type development with apartments and a transport hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I wasn't in a car at the time but yes, naturally if there are roads then cars tend to use them. Also, you might find if there is a concentration of shops then said roads may become congested as a result of bad planning.

Finally, bear in mind some people may be driving to their homes in Douglas village (from other places), shock horror.

Roads with no cycling or bus priority infrastructure, it must be pointed out. Zilch in and around the village. And it will only get worse.

Douglas and surrounds are easily cycleable and is served by a huge number of bus routes. It's a shame local authorities continue to prioritise the movement of private cars, sealing Douglas' fate for years to come as nothing more than a cesspit of traffic and fumes, and all the negatives that come with it. Incredibly unpleasant for pedestrians. And they wonder why units in the village centre are empty.

Look at Blackrock or Dundrum and what the councils in Dublin did over summer for inspiration. They transformed the places.
    Cork City Council sat on their hands instead.

Acosta wrote: »
    Douglas village is an ugly concrete jungle as it is. There's two big supermarkets within a few minutes of each other and already an Aldi plus a Super Valu a few minutes drive up the road in Grange. The local authorities job when it comes to planning in Cork seems to be little more than basically saying yes when a developer comes along.

Correct

Roads with no cycling or bus priority infrastructure, it must be pointed out. Zilch in and around the village. And it will only get worse.

Douglas and surrounds are easily cycleable and is served by a huge number of bus routes. It's a shame local authorities continue to prioritise the movement of private cars, sealing Douglas' fate for years to come as nothing more than a cesspit of traffic and fumes, and all the negatives that come with it. Incredibly unpleasant for pedestrians. And they wonder why units in the village centre are empty.

Look at Blackrock or Dundrum and what the councils in Dublin did over summer for inspiration. They transformed the places.
    Cork City Council sat on their hands instead.

I think to be fair to the City Council, they have inherited a right mess here with the state that the County Council left Douglas in.
    I think we should at least give them some time considering they only have jurisdiction there about 18 months now and this is only part of a massive area that they took from the County.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

With Covid mobility funds they had an opportunity in 2020 to finally at least *start* improving the place. They have been very slow in other areas too to be fair. Even with more funds for active travel improvements. Maybe 2021 will be the start of something but I wouldn't hold my breath.

With Covid mobility funds they had an opportunity in 2020 to finally at least *start* improving the place. They have been very slow in other areas too to be fair. Even with more funds for active travel improvements. Maybe 2021 will be the start of something but I wouldn't hold my breath.

They are in the process of improving the place, they have contractors working on the stream that runs through that park in Douglas and the area by The Lions House building is beginning to look very well and hopefully this is an indication of the standard that the City Council will bring to Douglas Village.

I agree 100%. I often cycle through Douglas, I am a fairly confident cyclist so I can handle the traffic volumes but yes, the lack of proper cycling infrastructure makes it a dangerous place to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I got slated in this forum for suggesting that someone on The Well Road shouldn't be taking their car to the supermarket.
    I thought that was quite telling.

There needs to be a huge change of mindset. No amount of footpaths and cycle lanes will make a difference unless people want a different way of doing things. Currently, people want to keep doing things the way they always have done but without an increase in traffic. The big weekly shop isn't the only way of shopping.

I got slated in this forum for suggesting that someone on The Well Road shouldn't be taking their car to the supermarket.

There needs to be a huge change of mindset. No amount of footpaths and cycle lanes will make a difference unless people want a different way of doing things. Currently, people want to keep doing things the way they always have done but without an increase in traffic. The big weekly shop isn't the only way of shopping.

You're correct

• Registered Users Posts: 86,681 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I assume Lidl will be arriving soon also to Douglas

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I assume Lidl will be arriving soon also to Douglas

FFS ill be parachuting in at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I agree in principle but it's often cheaper buying in 'bulk' for the week and that's a huge consideration especially at the moment. I'm a regular user of the English Market as I believe in spending on quality produce where I can afford, but when it comes to the basics, Tesco, Aldi are fine. However I live at the top of the Well Road myself and to have to walk down and up several times a week with bags to cover a family of five just isn't practicable for me. Sure a pack of loo rolls takes up one hand which leaves me with one shopping bag.

Totally repect and admire your vision, but it just won't work for everyone

It it doesn't have to work for everyone, it's not all or nothing. If more took a more sustainable mode when practical it would make a big difference. Not driving for top up shops or to meet friends for coffee (when we can do that), that sort of thing. Letting the kids walk to training from Douglas ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭RINO87

I agree in principle but it's often cheaper buying in 'bulk' for the week and that's a huge consideration especially at the moment. I'm a regular user of the English Market as I believe in spending on quality produce where I can afford, but when it comes to the basics, Tesco, Aldi are fine. However I live at the top of the Well Road myself and to have to walk down and up several times a week with bags to cover a family of five just isn't practicable for me. Sure a pack of loo rolls takes up one hand which leaves me with one shopping bag.

A cargo bike is an option

Advertisement