Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Douglas

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

TheChizler wrote: »
    Unless something is done to cut traffic levels it's madness IMO, adding a new junction between two junctions that regularly completely back up in both directions. Surely it won't get planning?

Hopefully not. Work has just started to widen and realign that last stretch of Skehard Road from SuperValu to CSO, and now somebody wants to put a new entrance there. Pure daft. What IS needed it to completely level and rebuild the SuperValu. Compared to some of the fantastic SuperValus around the country, that one is a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

The site is about 80 - 100m up from SuperValu, towards the credit union. There has been a Lyonshall sign on the metal gates there for some time.

Interestingly the Blue Bins site was used for the road improvement crew but they've now been moved to a new site down by Aldi. I was told its housing on the BB site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

I see today, that a cafe chain has taken 2 of the 3 retail units in the new Aldi.
    Any idea who it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

cantalach wrote: »
    Hopefully not. Work has just started to widen and realign that last stretch of Skehard Road from SuperValu to CSO, and now somebody wants to put a new entrance there. Pure daft. What IS needed it to completely level and rebuild the SuperValu. Compared to some of the fantastic SuperValus around the country, that one is a dump.

That Supervalu is awful. Look at the great job done with the ones in Grange and Ballincollig West in the last few years but they were refits. Its too expensive to level so the Skehard road one will never be more than a poor imitation.

• Advertisement

Aldi with cafe and 28 residential units confirmed planning

Lyonshall own the land between Bessboro rd and scallys. The house there is being emptied.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40256210.html%3ftype=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭cantalach

Aldi with cafe and 28 residential units confirmed planning

Lyonshall own the land between Bessboro rd and scallys. The house there is being emptied.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40256210.html%3ftype=amp

The terraced houses directly across Skehard Rd from that will be quite overshadowed in the wintertime. I'm thinking there'll be objections and a height reduction ultimately.

But regarding traffic, I didn't realise that the site included that private house immediately to the east of Scally's. That changes things a bit because it means that the site is effectively contiguous with Scally's. Surely they could share the entrance at the Church Road lights.

cantalach wrote: »
    The terraced houses directly across Skehard Rd from that will be quite overshadowed in the wintertime. I'm thinking there'll be objections and a height reduction ultimately.

But regarding traffic, I didn't realise that the site included that private house immediately to the east of Scally's. That changes things a bit because it means that the site is effectively contiguous with Scally's. Surely they could share the entrance at the Church Road lights.

It looks like a clone of the Blackrock Clinic just dumped on the Skehard Road

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

500m from the nearest Aldi and next door to Super Valu. Also looks very unimaginative with red brick cladding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I grew up in Douglas and my parents still live there. I genuinely could not believe it last time I was down when my parents told me an Aldi was going in where the old cinema is. I still can't believe it to be honest. The village has been ruined by shopping centres, a garage and now an Aldi and all the extra traffic that is going to bring. WTF were they thinking? Absolutely no vision for making the place liveable. They could have designated that area for the weekly market and had some permanent seating, green space, a small playground etc instead of it being squeezed in front of the shopping centre with nowhere to sit. They could have made the roads one way and had plenty of space for a two-way cycleway. There's so much they could have done but instead we get an Aldi and more traffic. It's a travesty. I mean there's already an Aldi 5 mins up the road in Grange!

It's privately owned land worth millions so the city council were never going to cough up the money to buy it. While ALDI have done a nice job on the build, it's the nicest ALDI I've ever seen, I agree it's a terrible use of land. I'd love to have seen a mixed use development on this site and the still vacant triangle site next to it, with apartments, Co working space and maybe a hotel.

I hope this development at least spurs Dunnes to fix up their Douglas store across the road which is an absolute disgrace at this stage. I don't think there has been a change there since 1995.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's privately owned land worth millions so the city council were never going to cough up the money to buy it. While ALDI have done a nice job on the build, it's the nicest ALDI I've ever seen, I agree it's a terrible use of land. I'd love to have seen a mixed use development on this site and the still vacant triangle site next to it, with apartments, Co working space and maybe a hotel.

I hope this development at least spurs Dunnes to fix up their Douglas store across the road which is an absolute disgrace at this stage. I don't think there has been a change there since 1995.

I was disappointed when I heard Aldi was going in there. Douglas isn't stuck for anywhere to do your shopping. I'm amazed nothing has ever been done with that vacant triangular site. I grew up in Douglas and I don't even recall any mooted development plans for it either. I'm being nosey now but I'd love to know who owns it and why they're just sitting on it. I'm sure they could have sold it for mad money a few times over the years.

The old PTSB building in Douglas would be good site as well. There's a decent size car park in the back of it too. I think Wetherspoons were looking to go in there but were denied planning. The site has been empty for years.

I was disappointed when I heard Aldi was going in there. Douglas isn't stuck for anywhere to do your shopping. I'm amazed nothing has ever been done with that vacant triangular site. I grew up in Douglas and I don't even recall any mooted development plans for it either. I'm being nosey now but I'd love to know who owns it and why they're just sitting on it. I'm sure they could have sold it for mad money a few times over the years.

The old PTSB building in Douglas would be good site as well. There's a decent size car park in the back of it too. I think Wetherspoons were looking to go in there but were denied planning. The site has been empty for years.

A German bank own it. I'm pretty sure it's included in the traunch of land mentioned here: https://www.businesspost.ie/more-business/deutsche-bank-lead-bidder-of-eur250m-cork-loans-3f1e5353 it went through nama.

Planning for the TSB site went in earlier this year to ABP 130 apartments. http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/309260.htm whether they ever get built is another question. There is actually a pretty big planning application next door too for the legion of Mary site: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305533.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Usir

I grew up in Douglas and my parents still live there. I genuinely could not believe it last time I was down when my parents told me an Aldi was going in where the old cinema is. I still can't believe it to be honest. The village has been ruined by shopping centres, a garage and now an Aldi and all the extra traffic that is going to bring. WTF were they thinking? Absolutely no vision for making the place liveable. They could have designated that area for the weekly market and had some permanent seating, green space, a small playground etc instead of it being squeezed in front of the shopping centre with nowhere to sit. They could have made the roads one way and had plenty of space for a two-way cycleway. There's so much they could have done but instead we get an Aldi and more traffic. It's a travesty. I mean there's already an Aldi 5 mins up the road in Grange!

Having lived in various parts of the Cork south side for over 10 years I find it baffling that Douglas is still considered an attractive place to live. Maybe some people judge how good a spot to live is by its chippers, restaurants and pubs. The town is basically a bumper to bumper car park filled with smoke and fumes, boarded up shops, filthy streets and little to no greenery. Zero cycle lanes. Can't think of one nice open area to sit out and have a coffee or meal away from the traffic. Maybe the pigs back and that is an industrial estate. Yet people keep paying 600k for houses there based off a reputation its built 20 years ago and is now somehow still living off. The town planners have completely shafted this town, it is now beyond saving as the multi national shops and fast foods are bedded in and going nowhere fast.

Usir wrote: »
    Having lived in various parts of the Cork south side for over 10 years I find it baffling that Douglas is still considered an attractive place to live. Maybe some people judge how good a spot to live is by its chippers, restaurants and pubs. The town is basically a bumper to bumper car park filled with smoke and fumes, boarded up shops, filthy streets and little to no greenery. Zero cycle lanes. Can't think of one nice open area to sit out and have a coffee or meal away from the traffic. Maybe the pigs back and that is an industrial estate. Yet people keep paying 600k for houses there based off a reputation its built 20 years ago and is now somehow still living off. The town planners have completely shafted this town, it is now beyond saving as the multi national shops and fast foods are bedded in and going nowhere fast.

In fairness the Douglas community park is a nice spot for a take away coffee right in the centre of Douglas. The Mangla and Tramore Valley Park (though currently difficult to access) are other green areas. There are also not as many boarded up shops as a few years ago, especially since the pharmacy and Japanese restaurant took two of the biggest and most visible units in the last year. The old TSB is the last major derelict unit.

Agree with the ridiculous traffic and ridiculous ALDI decision. The ALDI and the triangle shaped space next to it were one of the last opportunities to reform the suburb. Unfortunately the worst possible tenant went in there. Probably the last big chance to reform the area is Busconnects, which has huge plans for Douglas. I think it will be rendered useless by NIMBYs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Usir wrote: »

As someone who grew up around Douglas, this sums up my view of the place now, too.
    Well, to be honest, I felt that way about it 20 years ago, too.

Advertisement