Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-accredited Degree List- Teaching Council

Options
  • 02-01-2021 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has the list of pre-accredited undergraduate degrees by the Teaching Council for post primary? I can no longer find the list on their website as it looks like it has been taken down.

It states that you must complete the form PPQA-01 to get degree accreditation, but states you must be a fully qualified teacher. Surely, you should be able to get your degree assessed before proceeding with the PME as it could be a waste of time and money if it does not be accepted.

Thank you in a advance for any help regarding this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭jrmb

ThatGuy2 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has the list of pre-accredited undergraduate degrees by the Teaching Council for post primary? I can no longer find the list on their website as it looks like it has been taken down.

It states that you must complete the form PPQA-01 to get degree accreditation, but states you must be a fully qualified teacher. Surely, you should be able to get your degree assessed before proceeding with the PME as it could be a waste of time and money if it does not be accepted.

Thank you in a advance for any help regarding this!
    Here it is. It's useful for reference but doesn't really have any value any more. Your course provider should ask you to complete a subject declaration form at the application stage and tell you if they have any doubts.

The PPQA1 form looks much simpler than the ones I had to complete last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Urethra Franklin.

jrmb wrote: »
    Here it is. It's useful for reference but doesn't really have any value any more. Your course provider should ask you to complete a subject declaration form at the application stage and tell you if they have any doubts.
    I'm pretty sure this is out of date. Theresa different form and it more so concerns you're ects in modules rather than accredited courses. The requirements for science I believe have changed since this was published, idk about other subjects

I'm pretty sure this is out of date. Theresa different form and it more so concerns you're ects in modules rather than accredited courses. The requirements for science I believe have changed since this was published, idk about other subjects
    You're right but it's now very difficult to find out whether the Teaching Council will accredit you without applying for a PME course. This list provides a general idea at least.

jrmb wrote: »
    You're right but it's now very difficult to find out whether the Teaching Council will accredit you without applying for a PME course. This list provides a general idea at least.

Found it :D I don't think there's any accredited courses as such, just that you've cover x ects in certain areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 J1

Hi

I was wondering if any of you might know how you can get additional credits for recognition with the TC. MY daughter did her degree in Modern Music in BIMM and would like to doing a HDip next year for post primary teaching but is short Western Art Music and Irish Traditional Music. Her career guidance teacher advised her to do those modules next year and then apply for teaching training the following year but we cannot find anywhere that does those modules separately. I have emailed the TC but they haven't gotten back yet so I thought someone here might know.
    Thanks

J1 wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if any of you might know how you can get additional credits for recognition with the TC. MY daughter did her degree in Modern Music in BIMM and would like to doing a HDip next year for post primary teaching but is short Western Art Music and Irish Traditional Music. Her career guidance teacher advised her to do those modules next year and then apply for teaching training the following year but we cannot find anywhere that does those modules separately. I have emailed the TC but they haven't gotten back yet so I thought someone here might know.
    Thanks

Hi. Personally I don't. That would perhaps be more likely to be answered by the CG advisor or even if there is a music teachers association, perhaps someone there (if one exists, I'm not a teacher but I'm pretty sure one exists; I worked as a waitress many years ago where I believe I served an annual function for a group like such; I remember as I served the music/choir teacher from my own secondary school) would be able to answer. I do know of some people however who did not have credits in certain necessary areas (botany for the teaching of Biology) who decided to pursue primary teaching instead, and of someone else who did her teacher training in the UK instead due to not having the required botany credits. However in her case I do not know if she would be able to teach in Ireland in the future as she does not have the botany credits to teach biology (i.e. the requirements are for registration with the teachers council not to undertake teaching training) and b. her teacher training degree in the UK is a diploma which is less credits than the PME here in Ireland where teacher training is now a 2 years masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

Hi. Personally I don't. That would perhaps be more likely to be answered by the CG advisor or even if there is a music teachers association, perhaps someone there (if one exists, I'm not a teacher but I'm pretty sure one exists; I worked as a waitress many years ago where I believe I served an annual function for a group like such; I remember as I served the music/choir teacher from my own secondary school) would be able to answer. I do know of some people however who did not have credits in certain necessary areas (botany for the teaching of Biology) who decided to pursue primary teaching instead, and of someone else who did her teacher training in the UK instead due to not having the required botany credits. However in her case I do not know if she would be able to teach in Ireland in the future as she does not have the botany credits to teach biology (i.e. the requirements are for registration with the teachers council not to undertake teaching training) and b. her teacher training degree in the UK is a diploma which is less credits than the PME here in Ireland where teacher training is now a 2 years masters.

I'm doing a 1 year PGCE in the UK and it's 120 credits, just like the PME. The teaching council asks for 120 credits as far as I know.

I suggest contacting the institutions that offer 3rd level music degrees (CIT/MTU Cork School of Music, Trinity, UCC, UL, Maynooth) and see how they might be able to facilitate a student for just 2 modules. The TC don't specify how many credits of each you need, so she could do a 5-credit module such as Music Perspectives and Performing Traditions.

I have not registered with the TC so please don't take my word for it, but if it were me, I would go directly to the college admissions to see who might be able to offer partial courses - I'm sure she won't be the first person in this position.

I'm doing a 1 year PGCE in the UK and it's 120 credits, just like the PME. The teaching council asks for 120 credits as far as I know.

I suggest contacting the institutions that offer 3rd level music degrees (CIT/MTU Cork School of Music, Trinity, UCC, UL, Maynooth) and see how they might be able to facilitate a student for just 2 modules. The TC don't specify how many credits of each you need, so she could do a 5-credit module such as Music Perspectives and Performing Traditions.

I have not registered with the TC so please don't take my word for it, but if it were me, I would go directly to the college admissions to see who might be able to offer partial courses - I'm sure she won't be the first person in this position.
    Apologies, the ect info was taken from someone on this forum, I'll see if I can find their post. She basically was warning someone off qualifying in the UK like she had done cause her degree wasn't seen as the equivalent of the Irish degree (I was certain she mentioned ects being the reason why) and she was finding it very difficult to have her qualification recognised

Apologies, the ect info was taken from someone on this forum, I'll see if I can find their post. She basically was warning someone off qualifying in the UK like she had done cause her degree wasn't seen as the equivalent of the Irish degree (I was certain she mentioned ects being the reason why) and she was finding it very difficult to have her qualification recognised

I also read it somewhere (on the teaching council website I think!) that due to the PME being two years, qualifications from abroad were likely to have shortfalls. I assumed it would be the case for me, although I don't have any plans to teach in Ireland, but was surprised when I saw my course does match the PME in terms of credits, in 1 year!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Is your course 120 CAT credits, the system used most widely in the UK, or 120 ECT credits, the European system used by the TC here? Just be careful, because 1CAT=0.5ECT so if the course is 120CAT credits then it's only 60 credits for Ireland.

Is your course 120 CAT credits, the system used most widely in the UK, or 120 ECT credits, the European system used by the TC here? Just be careful, because 1CAT=0.5ECT so if the course is 120CAT credits then it's only 60 credits for Ireland.

Interesting! I have no intention of teaching in Ireland so haven't actually looked properly... will look into it before I mislead anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I decided to add Politics and Society to my teaching subjects (registration opened in January) and told the TC that I had a degree in... Politics... from... UCD, asking them what evidence I needed to provide.

Nevertheless, they told me I'd have to pay €100 to have this seemingly exotic degree from a seemingly exotic university "assessed". Interestingly, that Politics degree was of equal weight to another subject in the same degree. The TC registered me to teach that subject without any fee at all ten years or so ago. So they already have evidence I have that degree, but in the meantime have decided to tack on a €100 fee to "assess" it. Oh, and it seems the criteria here under Politics & Society is what they'll assess it upon. It should take about 20 seconds to see it qualifies.

Joke organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I'm afraid this is nothing new...I had to pay to get my undergrad assessed (which was completed in Ireland, not that it should make a difference) back in 2009. And my subject was also contained in the degree title!

I then trained in England and of course had to pay to get my teacher training AND Masters assessed...

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I decided to add Politics and Society to my teaching subjects (registration opened in January) and told the TC that I had a degree in... Politics... from... UCD, asking them what evidence I needed to provide.

Nevertheless, they told me I'd have to pay €100 to have this seemingly exotic degree from a seemingly exotic university "assessed". Interestingly, that Politics degree was of equal weight to another subject in the same degree. The TC registered me to teach that subject without any fee at all ten years or so ago. So they already have evidence I have that degree, but in the meantime have decided to tack on a €100 fee to "assess" it. Oh, and it seems the criteria here under Politics & Society is what they'll assess it upon. It should take about 20 seconds to see it qualifies.

Joke organisation.

Advertisement