Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple Extension - Engineer or Architect

• 02-01-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at adding a c 30sqm living room type extension to the side of our house. We know exactly what we need regarding spec etc but obviously need drawings drafted for planning etc. Should we engage an engineer which I believe is cheaper than the alternative - an architect or are there other options? Believe an architect would be c. 9k which seems a lot when we know exactly what we want..,, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,451 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

9k - what part of the country is this cause i think im moving there

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Based on a Dublin based architects webpage...

If you know what you want, you just need someone familiar with planning in the area. That said, it is often the case that a client thinks they know what they want but a proper one off well thought out design can blow them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

To get an architect to draw up plans for a small extension should not cost you 9 grand.

I got an architect to do plans for me which cost approx 3 grand. This included visits, outline plans with different options and then final drawings which included wiring and heating plans and could be used for getting quotes from builders.

No planning was required and the architects input was complete when they gave me the final plans.

I could have done the job without an architect but it was the best 3 grand i spent. He gave me loads of his time and plenty of valuable ideas and input along with definitive plans to go to each builder with.

I still required an engineer to spec and sign off the job and done that in conjunction with the builder.

If you get the right architect they are well worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Parkender wrote: »
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. We are looking at adding a c 30sqm living room type extension to the side of our house. We know exactly what we need regarding spec etc but obviously need drawings drafted for planning etc. Should we engage an engineer which I believe is cheaper than the alternative - an architect or are there other options? Believe an architect would be c. 9k which seems a lot when we know exactly what we want..,, thanks in advance.

We did a simple extension that didn't need planning and used an engineer. Based in Dublin. We tried three different architects and none were interested as job was too small. They were all too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

I have a conservatory at the back of my house - it was there when I moved in 7 years ago. Its a complete waste of space - freezing in the winter, boiling in the summer. It is essentially a dumping room!

Its 12ft x 12 ft.

I want to change it into a sunroom. I want to do more with it that just put a roof on it. I want to make it into a useable room - probably turn it into more of an extension to the dining room that its attached to at the minute.

I am finding it difficult to find any construction company/trades person to advise me on how to go about it. One or two companies have said straight off on the phone that they will only work off an architects plans. I had thought that I would be able to have someone come and see what I have, listen to what I have in mind, and advise me on how best to progress, with a view to them giving me a quote for the work needed. Is this the usual way of doing things or am I deluded? Thanks for any advice - I have absolutely no experience with this sort of work and am keen to get this project off the ground, or at least onto someones work schedule.

Thanks in advance for any advice. South Louth area.

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    I have a conservatory at the back of my house - it was there when I moved in 7 years ago. Its a complete waste of space - freezing in the winter, boiling in the summer. It is essentially a dumping room!

Its 12ft x 12 ft.

I want to change it into a sunroom. I want to do more with it that just put a roof on it. I want to make it into a useable room - probably turn it into more of an extension to the dining room that its attached to at the minute.

I am finding it difficult to find any construction company/trades person to advise me on how to go about it. One or two companies have said straight off on the phone that they will only work off an architects plans. I had thought that I would be able to have someone come and see what I have, listen to what I have in mind, and advise me on how best to progress, with a view to them giving me a quote for the work needed. Is this the usual way of doing things or am I deluded? Thanks for any advice - I have absolutely no experience with this sort of work and am keen to get this project off the ground, or at least onto someones work schedule.

Is this all glass currently or has it some rising blockwork? Its very likely that you will need to start from scratch with the extension as the conservatory structure may be no good in terms of being able to roof it etc.
    Who can certify existing foundations as being suitable? Nobody really.
    Get an Engineer on site - they should advise on whether you have something you can convert or whether it needs to be a ground up build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Thanks Mickdw. It’s all glass. No brickwork at all.

I’ll check out a local engineer. Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

kjbsrah1 wrote: »

But that’s what they have done. They tell you out straight, get a set of plans drawn up and they’ll price it. Saves them going out to you, talking,to,you, wasting a few hours on site, especially during C19.

With a set of plans, even basic plans, they can price it and then you can decide if they are in the ball park before getting them out.

I think it will have to be demolished and start from scratch. The conservatory is most likely a lightweight structure on some form of bearing pad. No founds, no property slab insulation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30 swai

Paulzx wrote: »
    To get an architect to draw up plans for a small extension should not cost you 9 grand.

I got an architect to do plans for me which cost approx 3 grand. This included visits, outline plans with different options and then final drawings which included wiring and heating plans and could be used for getting quotes from builders.

No planning was required and the architects input was complete when they gave me the final plans.

I could have done the job without an architect but it was the best 3 grand i spent. He gave me loads of his time and plenty of valuable ideas and input along with definitive plans to go to each builder with.

I still required an engineer to spec and sign off the job and done that in conjunction with the builder.

If you get the right architect they are well worth the money

Was your architect in Dublin by any chance? If so any chance you could PM details. Thanks, Simon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What you could do is
    disconnect the power
    board up the ope and get shut of the existing,
    its a different skill set and you might be able to sell the glazing panels on done deal for guys building glass houses etc,
    I know if I was in Dublin I would take it all.:D
    This way you are left with a clean site and would be more attractive as a job to say a small builder.
    The one concern is lighting into the existing.

Also take note of any sewers across the garden where the foundations might be going.

If you are going to widen the ope then you will need structural sign off, else an architect will do for a simple extension.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement