Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post to GB (Brexit)

Options
  • 02-01-2021 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I was just looking at An Post's guide and I'm even more confused now:
    https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Brexit-FAQ

When I post something outside the EU I do not have to charge them vat and I just attach a customs sticker with the value and description. The recipient is then liable for vat/duty.

So with the UK now I assumed it's the same but no duty, but that article says all Irish retailers must register for vat and taxes with UK revenue.

I'm confused, anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Uk rules, absolutely zilch to do with an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

I was just looking at An Post's guide and I'm even more confused now:
    https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Brexit-FAQ

When I post something outside the EU I do not have to charge them vat and I just attach a customs sticker with the value and description. The recipient is then liable for vat/duty.

So with the UK now I assumed it's the same but no duty, but that article says all Irish retailers must register for vat and taxes with UK revenue.

I'm confused, anyone?

The HMRC page appears to say that any company selling into the UK now need to be registered for VAT in the UK, regardless of sales volume, if I'm trading it correctly?

I didn't realise this was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

If the goods you are sending are valued at <£135 (€150) then YOU must charge the UK vat at point of sale. For this you will need a UK vat number.

If the goods are over £135 then you can either send as above, or, if your customer is VAT registered, you can have them pay the courier or HRMC direct.

Either way, you will need to fill out customs declarations and for this you will need to be EORI registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭thefizz

Scotty # wrote: »
    If the goods you are sending are valued at <£135 (€150) then YOU must charge the UK vat at point of sale. For this you will need a UK vat number.

If the goods are over £135 then you can either send as above, or, if your customer is VAT registered, you can have them pay the courier or HRMC direct.

Either way, you will need to fill out customs declarations and for this you will need to be EORI registered.

I tried applying online for the EORI registration but I'm asked for a Government Gateway user ID and password. Do you know how this can be obtained?

thefizz wrote: »
    I tried applying online for the EORI registration but I'm asked for a Government Gateway user ID and password. Do you know how this can be obtained?

See this link to gov.UK
    Click on the 'Register for HMRC Online Services' button

• Advertisement

You are applying for a EORI in Ireland. You apply here > https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/register-for-an-eori-number.aspx

I'm presuming you are already registered for VAT here and set up on ROS?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

You are applying for a EORI in Ireland. You apply here > https://www.revenue.ie/en/online-services/services/common/register-for-an-eori-number.aspx

This is what is confusing, An Post says to register with UK revenue. I have an IE EORI number, do I need a UK one?

This is what is confusing, An Post says to register with UK revenue. I have an IE EORI number, do I need a UK one?
    They mean for you to register with UK Revenue for VAT. You only need to register for EORI in Ireland.

If you are selling to a UK VAT registered business and they are looking after the vat themselves then they will also need to be EORI registered.

Your EORI number will be identical to your VAT number.

If you are selling directly to non business customers in the UK (called 'Distance selling') then see here.

Yes I'm vat registered and set up on ROS. I confirmed on https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/eos/eori_validation.jsp?lang=en
    that my vat number is valid as my EORI number in Ireland but Revenue told me I also need to apply for a UK EORI number. When I try to do this, I'm asked for a UK Government Gateway user ID and password. I have asked them how I can get this and I'm awaiting a reply.

Yes I'm vat registered and set up on ROS. I confirmed on https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/eos/eori_validation.jsp?lang=en
    that my vat number is valid as my EORI number in Ireland but Revenue told me I also need to apply for a UK EORI number. When I try to do this, I'm asked for a UK Government Gateway user ID and password. I have asked them how I can get this and I'm awaiting a reply.

As above, what they mean is that you must register for VAT in the UK.
    To do so, follow the link I posted previously

See this link to gov.UK

• Advertisement

...but Revenue told me I also need to apply for a UK EORI number.
    First I've heard of this being a requirement and none of the customs forms I've seen have a provision for one.

You enter the senders EORI (your Irish one) and the receivers EORI (your customers one). I don't know why you would need a third one.

JMR wrote: »
    As above, what they mean is that you must register for VAT in the UK.
    To do so, follow the link I posted previously

See this link to gov.UK

Thanks JMR, the person in revenue didn't seem to have much of a clue as she said I should register for vat and the EORI number with UK authorities.

First I've heard of this being a requirement and none of the customs forms I've seen have a provision for one.

You enter the senders EORI (your Irish one) and the receivers EORI (your customers one). I don't know why you would need a third one.

Yes its strange but having rang Revenue's brexit and vat departments, this is the advice I was given. Plus An Post are directing people to the UK authorities EORI application page.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

It's a HMRC requirement to register with them for VAT, seems a bit like the UK government trying to push the burden back on other people to manage their VAT..

Interesting take on it:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55530721

Have any of you tried to register for UK vat? It's a bloody nightmare. Think I'll forget about the few sales I get from the UK, it's not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Have any of you tried to register for UK vat? It's a bloody nightmare. Think I'll forget about the few sales I get from the UK, it's not worth the hassle.

I don’t think you will be alone in that.. the costs of managing U.K. Vat returns will make the U.K. market not worthwhile for a lot of low volume shippers

I don’t think you will be alone in that.. the costs of managing U.K. Vat returns will make the U.K. market not worthwhile for a lot of low volume shippers

It's not a big deal at all to either register or complete returns to HMRC every quarter.
    Apart from forgetting sometimes, the only problem I have ever had with completing VAT return was when HMRC changed their bank without any notification, resulting in my payment being returned and eventual valid payment being late and incurring a penalty.

JMR wrote: »
    It's not a big deal at all to either register or complete returns to HMRC every quarter.
    Apart from forgetting sometimes, the only problem I have ever had with completing VAT return was when HMRC changed their bank without any notification, resulting in my payment being returned and eventual valid payment being late and incurring a penalty.

I have tried registering but when asked for my address, they don't recognise my eir code and I can't go any further.

I have rang Revenue's brexit department, vat department and customs department and none of them can give me any guildelines on selling to UK. I'm just passed from one section to another.

Fill in the attached PDF form and post it to...

VAT Registration Service
    HM Revenue and Customs
    Crown House
    Birch Street
    WOLVERHAMPTON
    WV1 4JX

• Advertisement

Fill in the attached PDF form and post it to...

VAT Registration Service
    HM Revenue and Customs
    Crown House
    Birch Street
    WOLVERHAMPTON
    WV1 4JX

Thanks Scotty.

This article covers most points you need to know, although it's written from the point of view of businesses selling digital products, scroll down for physical products

https://quaderno.io/blog/2021-brexit-guide-for-uk-vat-for-eu-and-worldwide-sellers/

Seems ridiculous that you can't register online and must complete the form posted previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭pummice

What happens if I just want to send a birthday present to a relative in England. Do I have to register for VAT? HaHa

pummice wrote: »
    What happens if I just want to send a birthday present to a relative in England. Do I have to register for VAT? HaHa

If the person you're sending the gift to is a relative, no you don't but you need to provide proof to both Revenue and HMRC that the recipient is indeed a relative. This must be photographic proof - previous photo of you both at a family gathering etc :D:D

Does anyone know what the situation is for a customer in UK who ordered and paid (incl Irish. Vat) for goods mid December but I am only ready to dispatched them now. Is there any exemption for this sitution or must I refund them the vat and go by the new rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me.

I've sent a package to the UK with a declared value of €300 with AnPost. The tracking is showing that it is in Customs in the UK. Neither me or the receiver have received any correspondence from HRMC. I have contacted HRMC online and they keep pointing me to the courier company. AnPost obviously have handed it off to the UK so won't be able to help.

What is the process for getting this cleared .. HRMC obviously don't want to speak to me .. but at what stage can I pay any duties ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I hope you put a description and taric code on it too as otherwise it probably will be returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I did ....

update is that it is with parcel force who say it can take up ten days for it to even be looked at in customs in the UK

im now wondering if I would have been better off driving to Newry and posing it from there via Royal Mail

Advertisement