If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

55 Inch TV for viewing Sport and Movies

Options
  • 02-01-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey Folks,

New to the forum and wanted to get some advice on purchasing a new 55" TV. Looking for good picture quality for Movie and Sport viewing in the evenings mainly. Really want good viewing for sports especially football. Really unsure on whether to go decent entry-level or would I need to go higher end. I dont do any gaming!!!!

Entry Level (I was putting at 500-800):
    1. Are the Entry Level TV's any good for decent Sport viewing the ones I was checking out were:- Samsung 55TU8500, 
    LG55UN8100, 
    Sony KD55XH8196, 
    Philips 55PUS7805. 
    Are there other better options at this level?

2. If options at entry-level not great then I am willing to stretch budget to the best next level options (800 - 1200):-
    Sony KD55XH9005 
    Sony KD55XH9505
    LG 55 BX
    Again there might be better options?

Also do you need a Soundbar for all of these sets above?

Thanks for the help
    NM

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Nomad1 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

New to the forum and wanted to get some advice on purchasing a new 55" TV. Looking for good picture quality for Movie and Sport viewing in the evenings mainly. Really want good viewing for sports especially football. Really unsure on whether to go decent entry-level or would I need to go higher end. I dont do any gaming!!!!

Entry Level (I was putting at 500-800):
    1. Are the Entry Level TV's any good for decent Sport viewing the ones I was checking out were:- Samsung 55TU8500, 
    LG55UN8100, 
    Sony KD55XH8196, 
    Philips 55PUS7805. 
    Are there other better options at this level?

2. If options at entry-level not great then I am willing to stretch budget to the best next level options (800 - 1200):-
    Sony KD55XH9005 
    Sony KD55XH9505
    LG 55 BX
    Again there might be better options?

Also do you need a Soundbar for all of these sets above?

Thanks for the help
    NM
    Hi Nomad1.

Some nice choices there :)

The 55XH8196 is a great "entry" level TV but is currently out of stock with no current ETA.

The 55XH9005 and 9505 are probably the best LED's on the market.
    The 9005 has been very popular but is also out of stock at the moment.
    WE do have the 9505 in stock priced at £999
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204636-sony-kd55xh9505bu-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-led-android-tv-youview.aspx

Stepping up to the LG 55BX you are into OLED and in my opinion the one to go for.
    They produce the best image and are just stunning.
    The 55BX is priced at £1098
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204959-lg-oled55bx6lb-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd-freesat-hd.aspx

A soundbar would boost the sound quality and viewing experience.
    Perhaps something like the 5 star reviewed Yamaha YAS207 coming in at £299
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202832-yamaha-yas207-soundbar-system.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nomad1

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. Few add on Questions:-

1. 55XH8196 - Would this be good for motion in watching sport or would it be challenged? If its good then I can wait for stock.

2. I see the LG BX and Samsung Q90T are pretty much in around the same price EUR1229/EUR1299. Which would be better value for money for viewing Movies and Sport. Do you have both in stock and what would the best price be on both.

3. I would have it on a wall mount do you have a good wall you can recommend also and what would the price be. It would need to be flexible as I need to pull it out from a cabinet and pivot the TV to the left. Could you do this as part of a bundle?

Thanks
    Mark

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Nomad1 wrote: »
    Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. Few add on Questions:-

1. 55XH8196 - Would this be good for motion in watching sport or would it be challenged? If its good then I can wait for stock.

2. I see the LG BX and Samsung Q90T are pretty much in around the same price EUR1229/EUR1299. Which would be better value for money for viewing Movies and Sport. Do you have both in stock and what would the best price be on both.

3. I would have it on a wall mount do you have a good wall you can recommend also and what would the price be. It would need to be flexible as I need to pull it out from a cabinet and pivot the TV to the left. Could you do this as part of a bundle?

Thanks
    Mark
    Hi Nomad1,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

For sports you would definitely be better with a native 100Hz panel. The Samsung and LG OLED would be better than the Sony for this however at the top of the pile would be the OLED. The OLEDs have the best colour and contrast, I have a B8 myself and it looks amazing for sports.

We can do a price on a cantilever bracket for you! I would recommend the Sanus BLF213 at £179 but we can do it for £130 if you but it with a TV!

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Stewball

Hi, sorry for jumping in.

Just wondering how this Phillips compares to the LG OLED you mentioned above?
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204898-philips-55oled805-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx?swapstore=1

My current 55" Samsung LED is lagging when watching sports and it's really annoying me - it's good for general TV viewing but when it comes to soccer it's terrible.

The ambilight and google assistant are nice little extras which are edging me towards the Phillips.

Stewball wrote: »

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204898-philips-55oled805-55-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx?swapstore=1

My current 55" Samsung LED is lagging when watching sports and it's really annoying me - it's good for general TV viewing but when it comes to soccer it's terrible.

The ambilight and google assistant are nice little extras which are edging me towards the Phillips.
    Hi Stewball.

The Philip OLED805 is also an excellent TV and preforms very very well!

It would be a very close run race between it and the LG BX.

You would not be disappointed with either of these sets.

• Advertisement

Hi Stewball.

Thanks for the info Kenny, I think I'll edge towards the Philips in the next couple of weeks.

Do you guys collect the old TV I'm replacing when delivering a newly purchased one?

Hi Stewball.

Thanks for the info Kenny, I think I'll edge towards the Philips in the next couple of weeks.

Do you guys collect the old TV I'm replacing when delivering a newly purchased one?
    Hey Stewball.

No problem at all.

Just give us a shout when you are ready.

We can also arrange for your old TV to be taken away for disposal.

You just let us know when placing your order and we will sort it for you.

I just noticed the price has been raised by €300. That puts it well over my budget. 

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

I just noticed the price has been raised by €300. That puts it well over my budget. 
    Hi Stewball,

Thanks for getting back to us!

The sale prices have finished on a lot of lines. We wouldn't be able to guarantee the price coming down again in the next couple of weeks but certainly give us a shout when you're ready and we can see if there's anything we can do!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.