Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Villa05 wrote: »
    Mine have said a minimum of 2 days per week on site.
    Whether the employer is the owner or paying rent on their premises will be a significant factor to the degree of wfh adoption

Also when a lease is up for renewal. Employers can fly kites about wfh, landlords get spooked and it is leverage when lease is up for review. Not zuckerbergs comments last year about wfh just before the deal for offices in Manhattan....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Hubertj wrote: »
    Also when a lease is up for renewal. Employers can fly kites about wfh, landlords get spooked and it is leverage when lease is up for review. Not zuckerbergs comments last year about wfh just before the deal for offices in Manhattan....

One floor on our lease came up for renewal.
    They got a (greatly im told) reduced rent for renewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭SmokyMo

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I see in the papers today that half of companies are saying they will have some sort of WFH when COVID is gone.
    I wonder what "some sort of" means.

My company has "some sort of" WFH for the past few years. Certain people can WFH one to two days a week if they are able to.
    If nothing else changes then the same amount of days will be done in the office as there were before. I now from being at interviews that they tend to offer people who state they want to work from home less than the ones who dont state it. HR seem to have the view that that person will settle for less if we give them 2 days a week from home as a favour.

I still havent heard a single tech company offering a switch to permanent wfh. Maybe for some peripheral support roles? Options to wfh was always there even before pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

SmokyMo wrote: »
    I still havent heard a single tech company offering a switch to permanent wfh. Maybe for some peripheral support roles? Options to wfh was always there even before pandemic.

I dont think any will. They will just keep to the same schedule they had before the pandemic.

It will at most be 2 or 3 days a week from home, as it was already for lucky staff in tech companies.
    And if you are married and have kids, you better hope the mrs gets the same and that its easy to move the kids, if you want to move down the country.

There are a lot of ducks that need to fall into line, if you are to move the family down the country. And you better not get it wrong because it will be expensive if you have to move back to Dublin after you've bought a house 2 or 3 hours commute away.

I think if companies do offer WFH it will be on the basis that it can be cancelled at any time they decide to. I certainly wouldnt want to move the family down the country on the strength of that. I wouldnt get buyin from the other half either.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭hometruths

Cyrus wrote: »
    if thats the way its delivered i could support something like that, but do you believe if a sinn fein lead government starts building large estates in parts of the country that everyone will be getting a private mortage?

I doubt it.

That's exactly what I understand the proposal to be, and if so, I think it is a smart idea. Certainly a lot smarter than anything else I have heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Villa05 wrote: »
    Mine have said a minimum of 2 days per week on site.
    Whether the employer is the owner or paying rent on their premises will be a significant factor to the degree of wfh adoption
    The buildings can be owned by the company pension fund, or any pension fund.
    Seems bit of an amber blinking light there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Mine has.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

schmittel wrote: »
    That's exactly what I understand the proposal to be, and if so, I think it is a smart idea. Certainly a lot smarter than anything else I have heard.

if thats the proposal and thats what delivered then i would agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

In an article last week about Liberty Insurance:

"The insurer said all staff, including its senior leadership team, will continue to work from home once the pandemic has passed, with the option of spending up to two days per week in the office to carry out specific activities or hold face-to-face meetings."

Someone here did say that this might not be the whole story, but it hasn't being refuted yet.

But, in relation to your tech comment, the same article stated:

"Liberty’s decision to go fully remote mirrors recent moves by other companies such as Salesforce and Spotify to allow employees to choose ways of working that best suits them."

The interesting thing about Salesforce is that back in 2019 (pre-covid), RTE reported:

"Salesforce Tower will consist of four new buildings, with 430,000 sq/ft of space, at Spencer Place overlooking the River Liffey. The company's 1,400 existing employees and the new hires will begin moving into the new office, being developed by Ronan Group Real Estate and Colony Capital, in mid-2021."

So, I wonder what Salesforce's plans to allow workers to decide how they want to work post-covid means for their plans for their new office space in Dublin?

Also, back in May 2020, Twitter stated "Twitter is allowing staff to work remotely forever".

But, some companies, with Liberty Insurance being the most upfront so far, are indeed going with the full time WFH. Unless, the Irish Times got that story wrong, which is entirely possible.

I still stand behind my thinking that it's either full time WFH or full time in the office. I really don't see hybrid working for all staff being realistic in the real world. It may be tested for e.g. staff morale issues etc., but then they will need to make the decision on either full time WFH or full time in the office IMO

Link to Irish Times article on Liberty Insurance here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/liberty-insurance-in-for-the-long-term-on-remote-working-1.4507820

Link to RTE on Salesforce (pre-covid - 2019): https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0118/1023962-jobs-salesforce-dublin/

Link to Twitter article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/twitter-says-employees-will-be-allowed-to-work-from-home-forever-1.4252310

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I still stand behind my thinking that it's either full time WFH or full time in the office. I really don't see hybrid working for all staff being realistic in the real world. It may be tested for e.g. staff morale issues etc., but then they will need to make the decision on either full time WFH or full time in the office IMO

I'd be the opposite mind, at least in the short term. A hybrid approach allows companies/employees the best of both worlds.

I don't see the entire corporate world going completely virtual any time soon.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    I'd be the opposite mind, at least in the short term. A hybrid approach allows companies/employees the best of both worlds.

Many already are full time WFH at the moment. I've no doubt the hybrid model will be tested. But I think the odds are that more companies will eventually decide either full time WFH or full time in the office, depending on the role of course.

Either way, it means much much less office space required going forward IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

Graham wrote: »

Some companies will offer full time wfh which will suit some people. I think very few will mandate full wfh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-montebello-montebello-terrace-bray-co-wicklow/2951414

Fairly unique house. I think Sinead O'Connor's?
    €950k for 350sqm and a serious sea view...but I'd say you'd be arriving out to all sorts of unpleasant surprises at your gates over the weekend!

EDIT - I think there was previously a conversation on here where a couple of people were positive on the future development of Bray...if that turns out to be true, I think this would pay off handsomely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Many already are full time WFH at the moment.

Of course they are but not out of choice.

DataDude wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-montebello-montebello-terrace-bray-co-wicklow/2951414

€950k for 350sqm and a serious sea view...but I'd say you'd be arriving out to all sorts of unpleasant surprises at your gates over the weekend!

EDIT - I think there was previously a conversation on here where a couple of people were positive on the future development of Bray...if that turns out to be true, I think this would pay off handsomely.

Was just about to post exactly the same link. yes, Sinead O'Connors old house, but apparently she sold it a few years ago. Not much looks to have been done to it in meantime.

I love it. Unfortunately my wife says she think's its overpriced. And she doesn't like Bray.

One of her concerns is same as you mentioned, view looks great in the photos but more often than not it would be dominated by the goings on of Bray seafront. Funfairs, daytrippers, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah its a little too close to the action.

in fairness it does represent value but once you had spent the sizeable sum required to modernise it bray would want to come on leaps and bounds to make it worth that.

Was just about to post exactly the same link. yes, Sinead O'Connors old house, but apparently she sold it a few years ago. Not much looks to have been done to it in meantime.

I love it. Unfortunately my wife says she think's its overpriced. And she doesn't like Bray.

One of her concerns is same as you mentioned, view looks great in the photos but more often than not it would be dominated by the goings on of Bray seafront. Funfairs, daytrippers, etc etc.

I saw that article too from 2017, but no mention of it on the PPR and I think she's still knocking about there. Sale must have fallen through. The house attached to it is a very unpleasant guesthouse I believe. If you were to buy it you'd have to find a way to put up major gates/walls to add to privacy but without ruining the view.

Hard one to value. If it were on any other part of the coast from Howth the the whole way to Greystones it'd be €2.5m+, but given the potential issues, don't think I'd touch it even at that "bargain price".

I saw that article too from 2017, but no mention of it on the PPR and I think she's still knocking about there. Sale must have fallen through. The house attached to it is a very unpleasant guesthouse I believe. If you were to buy it you'd have to find a way to put up major gates/walls to add to privacy but without ruining the view.

Hard one to value. If it were on any other part of the coast from Howth the the whole way to Greystones it'd be €2.5m+, but given the potential issues, don't think I'd touch it even at that "bargain price".

No doubt strong money for Bray. Hoping to persuade my wife to at least view it, will reserve judgment on it's value until then!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

cnocbui wrote: »
    No, but taxation is a biggie, it being far less there. No CGT and no inheritance tax, for instance. But there are plenty of other factors. The government doesn't kow-tow to a church. It's health system isn't 3rd world level It has a modern, sensible legal system It's not run by dickheads. It's got a population about the same as Ireland but they manage to run constant government surplus' while taxing far less. It's warmer than Ireland, the weather is better and it's got double the annual hours of sunshine compared to where I am at the moment.

Then there's the spectacular geography with varied climes with not every square centimetre of land being fenced off and farmed. And it's got the southern night skies, which are far more spectacular than the northern hemisphere.

Thanks for the heads-up, I never thought to look into the housing market first. I'm good.

mostly fair enough bar the bit about " cow towing to the church " and farming

the irish government hasnt cow towed to the church in about two decades , official ireland shows nothing but contempt towards the catholic church nowadays

i wouldnt be too quick to praise new zealands farming culture , they are far behind us in terms of enviromental awareness and pollution control , new zealand is very good at presenting themselves as one thing and the reality being quite different .

Fab location, like that's a prime piece of land right there on the island. Bit too close to the action though for some but if you want to be that close and love your sea swims and walking in for a nice pint in one of the many spots there, great spot to be. The seafront is always buzzing (pre, during, post covid) so you'd want to love being right in the thick of it. Personally, I'm with your wife, bit too close to the action for me but I prefer being accessible to and not in towns anyway. Personal preference!

• Advertisement

Fab location, like that's a prime piece of land right there on the island. Bit too close to the action though for some but if you want to be that close and love your sea swims and walking in for a nice pint in one of the many spots there, great spot to be. The seafront is always buzzing (pre, during, post covid) so you'd want to love being right in the thick of it. Personally, I'm with your wife, bit too close to the action for me but I prefer being accessible to and not in towns anyway. Personal preference!

I'm actually with you on that point oddly enough. Currently one of the reasons my wife wants to move is she'd prefer to be able to walk everywhere on foot. We live on edge of a town and have a lot of privacy, which I love, and fine to walk for adults but a pain in the ass with small kids.

My wife sick of bundling kids in and out of the car. But if I am going to move to within a town, I can handle a loss of privacy if the trade off is looking at the sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

A good news story, well paying jobs and a vote of confidence in us. Keep em coming! My sister is recently single I might try to get her hooked up with one of the brothers!
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0314/1203988-stripe-to-create-1-000-new-jobs-in-dublin/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

enricoh wrote: »
    A good news story, well paying jobs and a vote of confidence in us. Keep em coming! My sister is recently single I might try to get her hooked up with one of the brothers!
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0314/1203988-stripe-to-create-1-000-new-jobs-in-dublin/

Noting their plans to expand in Brazil and India I hope those jobs don't involve shipping in a lot of Brazilians and Indians to an already overcrowded Irish rental market (to link the above post to the property market in order to make it relevant to the thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

From the Examiner in the last few moments, another warning from the Central Bank about the Shared-Equity scheme.

We're going with lobbyists over the ESRI, CB and multiple housing academics....

'Government scheme could drive up house prices, Central Bank warns'

The Central Bank also suggest that, depending on the final details of the scheme, it could be "in contradiction" with the macro-prudential lending rules
    In a letter to members of the Oireachtas Housing Committee, the Central Bank has warned that the proposals could result in an increase in house prices and will do little to deal with supply issues.

The plan, which Mr O'Brien brought to Cabinet before Christmas, offers equity loans of up to 30% on new-build homes under €400,000.

In his letter, Vasileios Madouros, the Central Bank's director of financial stability, said: "Overall, taking a broader housing market perspective, the proposed scheme – in isolation – is likely to have a limited impact on the ultimate supply-side problem in the Irish housing market."

From the Examiner in the last few moments, another warning from the Central Bank about the Shared-Equity scheme.

We're going with lobbyists over the ESRI, CB and multiple housing academics....

'Government scheme could drive up house prices, Central Bank warns'

I assume the Central Bank can very easily just block this whole thing without much effort? Just make it clear to the lenders that LTI limits include all forms of loans and whether it comes from them, a family member or the government makes no difference?

Given how protective they are over their lending rules already (and rightly so given the bashing they took over the crisis), I find it hard to imagine why they would give the thumbs up to 5x LTI limits for those least able to afford such reckless lending?

I assume the Central Bank can very easily just block this whole thing without much effort? Just make it clear to the lenders that LTI limits include all forms of loans and whether it comes from them, a family member or the government makes no difference?

Given how protective they are over their lending rules already (and rightly so given the bashing they took over the crisis), I find it hard to imagine why they would give the thumbs up to 5x LTI limits for those least able to afford such reckless lending?

I’d say he will take a keen interest in housing in Ireland alright as he doesn’t want to end up being the scapegoat (as you said) if it all goes belly up. That and given his connections to New Zealand where a few weeks ago Bloomberg reported:

“New Zealand Government Forces Central Bank to Include Housing In Rate Setting”.

Link to Bloomberg article here: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-24/n-z-government-forces-rbnz-to-include-housing-in-rate-setting

I would not recommend the seafront in Bray to anyone, unless they already spend a lot of time there and know exactly what it is like.
    Even one street back from the seafront is a massive difference. And much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

In fairness the Rebuilding Ireland loans already consist of 5/1 mortgages bypassing the CBs 3.5/1

bubblypop wrote: »
    I would not recommend the seafront in Bray to anyone, unless they already spend a lot of time there and know exactly what it is like.
    Even one street back from the seafront is a massive difference. And much better!

Have always thought that Bray seafront is very pleasant whenever I have been there, but having said that I have often consciously avoided it at times when I know it is likely to be less pleasant!

• Advertisement

Have always thought that Bray seafront is very pleasant whenever I have been there, but having said that I have often consciously avoided it at times when I know it is likely to be less pleasant!

It's very pleasant at the moment!
    Usually it is unbearably busy. Which might be ok for some, but evenings and nights would not be my cup of tea.
    Crowds drinking, shouting, singing, fighting, garda cars and ambulances, people riding on the seafront/beach, people puking and peeing everywhere.
    Now, obviously it's not like that 24 hours a day, but living close to it, but not actually on it, would be my preference!

The Raheen park area would be my preferred area, great views!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement