Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭DataDude

schmittel wrote: »
    Is there a new high end development in Delgany/Greystones in the pipeline?

Yup, Church Lane. A long ways to go - still haven’t broken ground.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭hometruths

DataDude wrote: »
    Yup, Church Lane. A long ways to go - still haven’t broken ground.

Ah yes, the one where they will butcher the garden of that beautiful old house.

I kind of know what Jimmyvik means about 1m to live in an estate, but in that location, if there were only a handful, detached, decent size with garden, and well landscaped I guess I could handle it.

The Burnaby was developed as one of the first housing estates in Ireland. They did things properly back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the wrong side of the N11 in my opinion.

thats it in a nutshell.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I personally wouldn't be overly fussed on living on the west side of the N11.

Interesting. I was using Redwood as my barometer for what this other development is worth if we’re to be first in the door. I would have assumed that Enniskerry would have been a fair bit cheaper than Delgany/Greystones when doing the comparison. Very promising if that’s not necessarily the case!

Edit - I know Enniskerry has a higher average sale price but just assumed this was due to the different mix of houses vs Greystones.

Redwood house is bigger than the ones proposed for church lane so im guessing the greystones ones will be more expensive per Sq/m but not overall...

Eaglewood was very desirable one time in enniskerry but i think the sheen has gone off it now a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

An interesting stat, 61% of homebuyers in the UK who are eligible do not use their Shared Equity Scheme

On the 1st April they are changing it to allow buyers have the state purchase as little as 10%

To think we're copying something that obviously hasn't worked very well is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

awec wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't be overly fussed on living on the west side of the N11.

My granny was from Enniskerry and my in-laws are in Greystones. She lived there until she died a few years ago. I know both very well and both are really nice places, but personally Id actually prefer to live in Enniskerry.

What about something like https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-glendale-delgany-wicklow/4478960 DataDude?

A good bit cheaper but still very nice (IMO), not as swish as the Redwood ones but in a better location.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    My granny was from Enniskerry and my in-laws are in Greystones. She lived there until she died a few years ago. I know both very well and both are really nice places, but personally Id actually prefer to live in Enniskerry.

Don't get me wrong, Enniskerry is a lovely place, but west of the N11 is a lot more remote than east of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

An interesting stat, 61% of homebuyers in the UK who are eligible do not use their Shared Equity Scheme

Just out of interest have they the same issue with rents being considerably higher than mortgage repayments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

What is it about easy access to cheap credit that makes it the essential ingredient of a bubble? Can you explain why this is so?

Really?? Can you not think this through yourself..

Cyrus wrote: »
    Redwood house is bigger than the ones proposed for church lane so im guessing the greystones ones will be more expensive per Sq/m but not overall...

Eaglewood was very desirable one time in enniskerry but i think the sheen has gone off it now a bit.

“Pricing not set in stone yet but we expect them to be just north of the million mark”. So I’d say you’re correct.

Seems to a fairly constant flow for sale in Eagle Valley. I’ve tracked about 10 over the last year. They stay up a long time and almost never make asking price. Some of them have fabulous gardens but the houses themselves are a bit meh.

awec wrote: »
    What about something like https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/3-glendale-delgany-wicklow/4478960 DataDude?

A good bit cheaper but still very nice (IMO), not as swish as the Redwood ones but in a better location.

Really really like this house and I’ve no idea why it hasn’t sold yet. To me it seems a very fair price. I’ve called about it a couple of times and will hopefully go to view once restrictions lift.

I’m being really fussy here but ideally I’d like to be walking distance from the dart if possible, as drive to + dart from Greystones is a tough commute even if only 2/3 times per week.

But in a couple of moments of exasperation at missing out on ‘dream homes’, we have come very close to buying that to get ourselves onto the ladder.

fliball123 wrote: »
    Really?? Can you not think this through yourself..

Yes, I have done so. I am trying to understand whether or not you have done so, and what you concluded? Or did you just read somewhere that bubbles are built on easy credit?

Browney7 wrote: »
    Jan 16 the index stood at 104. Jan 17 the national RPI index was at 113. At Jan 18 it increased to 126.5. Jan 19 it increased 133.1. In Jan 13 it stood at 75.2. Those numbers show strong price growth and yet supply is still incredibly week.

The thing with bubbles is you can only prove they are bubbles after they pop

Here is a link to the trend pay attention to 2017 to 2020 prices went up then down in 2018 then back up in 2019 then back down 2020 and are currently on the way back up this is not how a bubble acts. In a bubble price blow up hense the name.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/housing-index

Yes, I have done so. I am trying to understand whether or not you have done so, and what you concluded? Or did you just read somewhere that bubbles are built on easy credit?

Show me one bubble in history not predicated on easy access to cheap credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I think Enniskerry is a very pretty little village but it just feels like it is the wrong side of the N11 in my opinion. I think it used to achieve a premium compared to Delgany/Greystones but I suspect those days are over.

Enniskerry is grand. In laws lived there for 3+ years and left recently enough. There isn’t a lot to it - you do have nice things like powerscourt close by but then it’s a car journey to anywhere. It’s fine but that’s all

Show me one bubble in history not predicated on easy access to cheap credit?

Are you saying the reason that you can only have a bubble with easy access to cheap credit is because every bubble in history has been built on cheap credit?

I was asking if you could explain your understanding of why easy cheap credit is an essential ingredient? Can you do that?

Really really like this house and I’ve no idea why it hasn’t sold yet. To me it seems a very fair price. I’ve called about it a couple of times and will hopefully go to view once restrictions lift.

I’m being really fussy here but ideally I’d like to be walking distance from the dart if possible, as drive to + dart from Greystones is a tough commute even if only 2/3 times per week.

But in a couple of moments of exasperation at missing out on ‘dream homes’, we have come very close to buying that to get ourselves onto the ladder.

The developer of that house is Wood Group who have built a tonne of houses in Greystones, they're the ones doing Churchlands and Seagreen.

Buy a bike for getting to the DART ;)

The thing about walking distance to the DART is you need to realise walking out of Greystones is entirely up hill! So distances may not be huge but it can be tough on the legs! :D

Are you saying the reason that you can only have a bubble with easy access to cheap credit is because every bubble in history has been built on cheap credit?

I was asking if you could explain your understanding of why easy cheap credit is an essential ingredient? Can you do that?

And I said can you not work that out yourself? If you dont understand this key ingredient to every bubble in history then I am not doing your homework for you. just as a quick and recent example would property prices been as high as they were in 07 if banks were not throwing money around like confetti with thing like 110% mortgages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Be very careful you don't hesitate too much and suddenly find it's gone sale agreed and no one is returning your calls.

And I said can you not work that out yourself? If you dont understand this key ingredient to every bubble in history then I am not doing your homework for you.

From your posts I don’t think you have a very good understanding of the credit that is in the market, that’s why I am asking.

Quite happy to show you my homework:

Majority of residential transactions are being completed by non household buyers - funds, councils etc.

These buyers have an effective cost of credit of near zero. Easy access to cheap credit.

On top of that you have the cash investors - there is currently an effective zero opportunity cost of capital to them, which has similar effect to easy access to credit.

Yes, Paddy and Mary FTBers don’t have easy access to cheap credit, but you are mistaken if you think that easy access to cheap credit is not fueling this market.

Do you disagree, and if so what am I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Here is a link to the trend pay attention to 2017 to 2020 prices went up then down in 2018 then back up in 2019 then back down 2020 and are currently on the way back up this is not how a bubble acts. In a bubble price blow up hense the name.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/housing-index

I'm very confused by the point you are trying to make. Are you saying that because the growth has taken a "breather" and moderated in some months in the period from 1 Jan 2017 to now that it's a "gotcha McWilliams you liar" moment.

For 21 consecutive months from Jan 17 the property price index increased. 19% cumulative.

Over the next four months it dropped each month. dropped by 1% cumulative. it then increased each month for the next 8 months for a cumulative 2% increase. It then dropped 1% over the next two months to bring us to Jan 20. We then had the Covid breakout where the index oscillated by +/- 0.2% each month until June 2020 and has since then increased each month.

I agree that property growth since Jan 2019 growth has been broadly flat and is now starting to trend upwards again

“Pricing not set in stone yet but we expect them to be just north of the million mark”. So I’d say you’re correct.

Seems to a fairly constant flow for sale in Eagle Valley. I’ve tracked about 10 over the last year. They stay up a long time and almost never make asking price. Some of them have fabulous gardens but the houses themselves are a bit meh.

my big issue is that a lot of the mcmansiony type houses (and eage valley falls into that category) have the most horredous uPvc windows. for me they would be the first things that would need to go, and its if a big house that gets expensive real quick :P

1m for those houses wouldnt be off the scale if its a nice development, id like to see the designs. One in particular has a very large garden it seems but there will be a price for that :D

Cyrus wrote: »
    my big issue is that a lot of the mcmansiony type houses (and eage valley falls into that category) have the most horredous uPvc windows. for me they would be the first things that would need to go, and its if a big house that gets expensive real quick :P

1m for those houses wouldnt be off the scale if its a nice development, id like to see the designs. One in particular has a very large garden it seems but there will be a price for that :D

Agree with this. I could grit my teeth and spend 1m to live in an estate if location and layout were right.

But spending 1m for a new build with plastic windows would really hurt!

From your posts I don’t think you have a very good understanding of the credit that is in the market, that’s why I am asking.

Quite happy to show you my homework:

Majority of residential transactions are being completed by non household buyers - funds, councils etc.

These buyers have an effective cost of credit of near zero. Easy access to cheap credit.

On top of that you have the cash investors - there is currently an effective zero opportunity cost of capital to them, which has similar effect to easy access to credit.

Yes, Paddy and Mary FTBers don’t have easy access to cheap credit, but you are mistaken if you think that easy access to cheap credit is not fueling this market.

Do you disagree, and if so what am I missing?

Have you any link to your first sentence?

OK so councils dont have access to credit ok so are we as a country not currently borrowing billions yet they can buy property do you think they are not using the borrowed money the government are getting to pay for this?

Funds have investors how do you know these investors are not borrowing money for this?

Do you have a break down of cash buyers.

Also we may be only entering a bubble now so all of your post is null. We will only know about a bubble in a few years

Have you any link to your first sentence?

OK so councils dont have access to credit ok so are we as a country not currently borrowing billions yet they can buy property do you think they are not using the borrowed money the government are getting to pay for this?

Funds have investors how do you know these investors are not borrowing money for this?

Do you have a break down of cash buyers.

Also we may be only entering a bubble now so all of your post is null. We will only know about a bubble in a few years

I think my post went over your head to be honest.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Be very careful you don't hesitate too much and suddenly find it's gone sale agreed and no one is returning your calls.

Houses have come and gone over the last couple of years. There’s only one that still haunts me that we didn’t buy.
    Although I like that house, it doesn’t fall into the category where I’d lose sleep were it to sell. In fact, I’d say it’s highly probably it’s already sale agreed and not marked as such!

Houses have come and gone over the last couple of years. There’s only one that still haunts me that we didn’t buy.
    Although I like that house, it doesn’t fall into the category where I’d lose sleep were it to sell. In fact, I’d say it’s highly probably it’s already sale agreed and not marked as such!

Very interested to hear which one haunts you??!!

• Advertisement

Very interested to hear which one haunts you??!!

Sold a while back (€1.01m) so no good photos left. It has a stunning large west facing garden. It came up just as we were ready to buy. Said to myself ‘there’ll be plenty more’. A year later and I’m still waiting!

I know it’s a little bit out of Greystones. But I’d have put up with it.

https://m.independent.ie/life/home-garden/homes/roomy-rivergrove-is-a-detached-bungalow-just-a-stones-throw-away-from-cliff-walk-between-bray-and-greystones-39296865.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement