Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

schmittel wrote: »
    I don't know if the asking price is realistic or not, but give it the benefit of the doubt and let's assume it could be bought for 1m. As a buyer in this range, would you be interested in that house at that price?

Yes. Although as per post above, I'm very low on Foxrock/Cornelscourt as an area. I suspect someone who isn't as anti the area as I am will be willing to pay a fair chunk more than €1m.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,038 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

DataDude wrote: »
    I think this is a somewhat reasonable comparable property (I know there are differences but similar ballpark).

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/greenbank-stradbrook-road-blackrock-co-dublin/4490119

It had an offer €900k within 25 seconds of being advertised.

to be fair stradbrook road has a lot more cachet than deansgrange, id be surpised if the deansgrange house gets close to 1m, but who knows :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Would you not say it's smack bang in the middle of Cornerlscourt? Google maps concurs that it is!

250sqm, B3 BER, detached, nice private south west facing rear garden, sizeable front garden, near Foxrock. I'd cry tears of joy if it goes for €1m (or less). I might even buy it at that (even though I think the location is vastly overrated). It might be madness, but it's the reality of the current market conditions

The reason I know this is my first teenage job as a skivvy on a building site was building these houses. And I worked in Deansgrange many years later for a good few years. Used to run around the area quite a bit after work and at lunch time. I could nearly tell you the potholes outside all of the houses around there :). The address of those houses was Foxrock when they were build and it hasnt changed.
    Cornelscourt is the area across the N11 from AIB back almost cabinteely village.
    Then you have Deansgrange on the other side of Clonkeen road and up as far as Monkstown.

If you are talking about leafy Foxrock you'll be paying €1m min for just an apartment though, which is even more disgusting than €1m for those houses.

Cyrus wrote: »
    to be fair stradbrook road has a lot more cachet than deansgrange, id be surpised if the deansgrange house gets close to 1m, but who knows :confused:

Sent it to a couple of people who know Deansgrange well. There were a few question marks raised about St. Fintan's as an area so perhaps my estimate is on the high side.
    However, my recent observation of the market is that there is an incredible premium being paid for SCD houses which have a decent plot. I know that seems obvious to state, but it seems more stark now that it did a year ago. WFH making people yearn for some space/garden offices? Who knows.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,948 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yes. Although as per post above, I'm very low on Foxrock/Cornelscourt as an area. I suspect someone who isn't as anti the area as I am will be willing to pay a fair chunk more than €1m.

I think it will be an interesting one to watch. It’s a reasonable example of the kind of house I am thinking about (though probably in better condition than most) when I say who is going to buy these houses at these prices in the future.

I don’t think the arse is going to fall out of that market next week, and there probably is a buyer that will pay over 1m for that house today. It’s the rest of them in the future that I’m not so sure about.

• Advertisement

Sent it to a couple of people who know Deansgrange well. There were a few question marks raised about St. Fintan's as an area so perhaps my estimate is on the high side.
    However, my recent observation of the market is that there is an incredible premium being paid for SCD houses which have a decent plot. I know that seems obvious to state, but it seems more stark now that it did a year ago. WFH making people yearn for some space/garden offices? Who knows.

To be fair, houses are definitely not getting built with large plots anymore in SCD. So I guess they are scarce alright.

I think it will be an interesting one to watch. It’s a reasonable example of the kind of house I am thinking about (though probably in better condition than most) when I say who is going to buy these houses at these prices in the future.

I don’t think the arse is going to fall out of that market next week, and there probably is a buyer that will pay over 1m for that house today. It’s the rest of them in the future that I’m not so sure about.

I agree with your sentiments and as I've stated before, I'm convinced there are far more of those kinda houses than there are incomes to afford those kinda houses. I'm not sure inheritances and trade up equity (see ownership rates, as you have also cited) can sustain it indefinitely.

My partner and I have almost accepted at this stage, that at some point down the line, we'll be the "F***in idiots who paid €1m+ for a house in an estate in Greystones/Enniskerry/SCD". But not sure what the alternative is really. The Warren Buffet quote of "the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent (or stay sane in this case)" seems to ring quite true.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    If you are talking about leafy Foxrock you'll be paying €1m min for just an apartment though, which is even more disgusting than €1m for those houses.

i think you are overegging what property is going for on the 'right' side of the n11,

this is leafy foxrock right?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/four-bedroom-homes-the-hazel-brighton-wood-foxrock-village-dublin-18/4331238

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭PommieBast

serious 3 star hotel lobby vibes from the sitting room here, size for the sake of it :D

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/pine-lodge-carrickbrack-road-howth-co-dublin/4311230
    Pic 10/21 looks like an accident waiting to happen...

i think you are overegging what property is going for on the 'right' side of the n11,

this is leafy foxrock right?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/four-bedroom-homes-the-hazel-brighton-wood-foxrock-village-dublin-18/4331238

Do you not think thats an outrageous price for a terraced house?
    No matter where it is.

• Advertisement

No matter where it is.

well its less than 1m :o

location is everything, as i said before that particular location does nothing for me but id take a terraced house on sorrento terrace every day of the week.

1m wouldnt get me in a boat shed for one however.

No matter where it is.

I think that's overly simplifying. I would do unspeakable things to get this terraced house for €855k, for example:
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/this-stunning-period-home-has-been-completely-restored-with-a-cinema-room-and-unparalleled-views-for-265m-36871201.html

I think the ones in Brighton Wood look reasonable enough tbh (if you're into Foxrock).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Foxrock is the most vanilla (blegh for want of a better word) suburb in South Dublin. Housing stock isn't amazing and has a bang of 1970s upwardly mobile off it. Wouldn't be paying any sort of mad money to live there.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Foxrock is the most vanilla (blegh for want of a better word) suburb in South Dublin. Housing stock isn't amazing and has a bang of 1970s upwardly mobile off it. Wouldn't be paying any sort of mad money to live there.

there are some stunning houses in foxrock but at the 2.5m plus end of the scale.

I think that's overly simplifying. I would do unspeakable things to get this terraced house for €855k, for example:
    https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/this-stunning-period-home-has-been-completely-restored-with-a-cinema-room-and-unparalleled-views-for-265m-36871201.html

I think the ones in Brighton Wood look reasonable enough tbh (if you're into Foxrock).

one of the most desired houses in blackrock i reckon, at least anyone i speak to about it :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

I hope no one takes offence, but I would have thought that people in the market for 1m plus houses would have much more important things to be doing than posting on boards

Maybe yer all property tycoons talking up the market :)

Villa05 wrote: »
    I hope no one takes offence, but I would have thought that people in the market for 1m plus houses would have much more important things to be doing than posting on boards

people who buy 1m houses are just people, why would they be any different than anyone else.

id suggest anyone using boards as a mechanism to talk up the market is a bit mad however.

You caught me..."DateDude"/"Dermot Desmond". Knew I should have made it less obvious.

Just saw this made €1.255m. What on earth - might be the most confusing price I have ever seen..

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/7-the-thicket-hainault-road-foxrock-dublin-18/4465676

I'll take that one in your link :)

• Advertisement

That is a belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

You're under the all-too-common delusion that people who earn more work harder. Seems to be an inverse correlation in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

That is a belter.

No helipad

That's what I love about boards - you have very little idea of who you might be sharing opinions with, and thus it means (or it should mean) that you focus on entirely on the quality of what they post, with no preconceived notions of whether or not their opinion is likely to be right.

People who buy 1m+ houses can be just as right or wrong as anybody else.

Equally there are people who are struggling to pay next months rent who have more between their ears than many of those living in the highest value houses in the country.

Plus - there's a lockdown on. What else are all the millionaires going to do with their time at the minute?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Even €855k seems aspirational- as for the asking price of €2.65m- its laughable.
    The current owner spent over a million on reinserting load bearing walls into the property- as a previous owner had taken them out and the centre of the house was 'sagging'..........

It may have a cinema room- and enough high end kitchen white goods to make Gordon Ramsay jealous- but seriously, the price tag is just unreal.

Even €855k seems aspirational- as for the asking price of €2.65m- its laughable.
    The current owner spent over a million on reinserting load bearing walls into the property- as a previous owner had taken them out and the centre of the house was 'sagging'..........

It may have a cinema room- and enough high end kitchen white goods to make Gordon Ramsay jealous- but seriously, the price tag is just unreal.

It made €2.95m in the end...
    https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-693AE95832CE02E58025842C00477876?OpenDocument

I walk by it most days. It's probably one of the nicest houses I've ever seen in person. Were it to go again it would easily clear €3m.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It made €2.95m in the end...
    https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-693AE95832CE02E58025842C00477876?OpenDocument

I walk by it most days. It's probably one of the nicest houses I've ever seen in person. Were it to go again it would easily clear €3m.

Wow- just wow.
    If I had money like that- I'd certainly not be investing it in property in Ireland, irrespective of how nice it was.

That price is just staggering.

Wow- just wow.
    If I had money like that- I'd certainly not be investing it in property in Ireland, irrespective of how nice it was.

That price is just staggering.

Is it ? Large turn key house right in the centre of a desirable suburb with sea views , it’s about as desirable as it gets.

Previous owner had a 911 turbo as well, probably made money on that too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Do you need to show proof of anything when bidding to an agent? Or do they accept bids from anyone?

• Advertisement

Is it ? Large turn key house right in the centre of a desirable suburb with sea views , it’s about as desirable as it gets.

I agree, and I'm as about as bearish as you can get on the overall market and think most of what is offered is overpriced and driven by disfunction.

I certainly would not call this good value but I can get my head around why somebody might pay big bucks for it, far more than I can understand somebody paying 1m to live in a meh housing estate in Foxrock/Cornelscourt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement